Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Marvel Heroes: F2P Isn't a Charity

123457»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Free-to-Play isn’t a charity?

Expecting players to pay for overpriced "starter packs" or "Beta Access" so others can play for free is though. 

That's the real problem with F2P.  Those that are really interested in a game get gouged (see $$) so 20 people passing by from game to game can "play for free" in the hope that 1 gets interested.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    How about a $30 dollar box to play the game? That way they would get the revenue they need. I know its a crazy idea, but if you want to stop players yammering about unfairness it might just work!! :)
  • RedhotRexRedhotRex Member UncommonPosts: 1

Reading all this It seems that some people think If you like a game support it. Others  seem to feel that there  is just a strait up X amount that they would spend on any given game and if  you can't get  100% unlock of a game for X amount  then its not worth it for them.  Honestly  you can't please everyone

I my self  am the type to support a  company  if they can give me hours of fun  and I tend to put a $$ amount on my time, let me  set up this example    you go out  for the night  have some drinks   with some friends   some food  what have you, you can easy spend 50$ on your self or more pending.   total time spend having fun 4-6 hours.  now the other side   i sit at home and play a f2p  game for 12-20  even up to 200+ hours  that's free entertainment  I don't mind throwing $60  for that much entertainment    

really if you like  a game put  some money into it  to keep it going and If you don't like  you can always move on.  So what if you don't get 100% of everything unlocked for ya in a f2p for $60

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Articles like this is why i hardly ever come to this site anymore. It just feels like your sitting on the developers lap being used as a ventrilaquist (or how ever its spelled) dummy.

If they are going to advertise a game as FREEEEEEEEE  to play why bitch about people not paying?

I dont pay shit for shit games. I would gladly pay for a good game and i do play p2p games. Some f2p games might be great fun and worth some money but i'm not going to hand over money to find out that i was right and its a shit game.

You know why people dont want to pay for this crap so why bother writing about it.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Everything in life is a matter of degrees.

I agree with the article's author and agree that ffs, the studio needs to make money.

But for example in neverwinter, I look at the item mall prices and say oh good god no. No way in hell.

Its ugly to think of it this way but game companies have to sort of find that magical pricing point where folks will open their wallets but not be turned away by the overt greed. The same applies with the level of convenience. Too much convenience and we approach p2w territory... too little and why bother paying?

The games I think have it basically spot on? Aion and l2.

Itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Everything in life is a matter of degrees.

I agree with the article's author and agree that ffs, the studio needs to make money.

But for example in neverwinter, I look at the item mall prices and say oh good god no. No way in hell.

Its ugly to think of it this way but game companies have to sort of find that magical pricing point where folks will open their wallets but not be turned away by the overt greed. The same applies with the level of convenience. Too much convenience and we approach p2w territory... too little and why bother paying?

The games I think have it basically spot on? Aion and l2.

Itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KyRoS37KyRoS37 Member UncommonPosts: 3

You know, this really is a great article. While I think the cap on heroes should be $15, and do find the pricing a bit high overall, it's really not inconceivable that one could get 100+ hours out of a single character or more in this game. Now, I've only played about 30 hours maybe so far. I bought the X-Force $60 pack and am playing Deadpool (beat game, lvl 27 I think) and lvl 16 or so on Colossus. I chose Scarlet Witch and got Storm and The Thing free. But considering you do get 3 free characters and all the content is free. It's really hard to complain about their business model overall. My one gripe is that if you buy a hero, you don't get their $4 bank tab included. I'm cool with buying the tab if I find a hero, but I think if you spend $20, you should get the bank tab as well, but that's just a minor complaint.

Overall, I'm having a pretty good time with the game. More than I thought I would. It's pretty casual and stress free. The drops are decent, as I don't get that D3 feeling that everything I find is junk. I've not gotten lucky and found a hero or costume yet, but hey, RNG is RNG.

But ultimately, I agree with the author of this article. Gazillion has done pretty well so far. Also, the way they are making up for the downtime for the founders pack players loss of early access is very cool. $20 and pet for UP or $10 and pet for the $60 packages? Pretty sweet if you ask me. Sure, the game is probably not going to appeal to many real hard core players, but I find it pretty entertaining, especially the later levels.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    *LOTTA GOOD STUFFS*

Mtibbs is right.  It isn't a matter of "players don't want to pay."  The question is, "what sort of value do I get for my money here, versus the same money over there?"

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• WodenbornWodenborn Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    *LOTTA GOOD STUFFS*

Mtibbs is right.  It isn't a matter of "players don't want to pay."  The question is, "what sort of value do I get for my money here, versus the same money over there?"

I'm beginning to think this is a very temporary problem, for the following reasons:

1) The complaints are not about the paywalls, they are about the height of said pay walls.  If every hero and every costume was $5, there would be no controversy AT ALL.

2) The cash shop prices are THE WORST THEY WILL EVER BE.  You don't discount your shop when demand is at its peak and your dev team is at its most exhausted.   There actually is a danger to being too popular, too fast, and the current cash shop prices are designed to avoid that.

3) We KNOW Gazillion is willing to offer MUCH better deals, because the prices are up OVER 100% from the price of prelaunch packages.  When I bought a launch package ($60, although the $20 ones were good too), I got a great deal, and ended up with eight heroes and eight costumes, plus a slew of boosts, I could not honestly recommend any of my friends to put down money for the game when these deals will become available again.

Therefore...

4) Future sales, discounts, and upgrades to character and costume drop rates will render this outrage entirely moot.

I thought the post comparing the $85 avenger pack to other ARPGs was entirely fair and accurate.  After a year of free updates in Marvel Heroes, when the same pack goes on sale for half the price with bonus currency added on top, it'll be a completely different proposition.

The Moral of the Story is: if you buy new, you pay a premium, if you wait for a sale, you pay a fraction of the original cost.  This as true in Free to Play as it is for boxed games.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Well a friend just linked me this

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-20-marvel-heroes-review

It seems eurogamer is more in touch with mmorpg.coms community than the writers here. Or am I just being cynical.