Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help choosing a class

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I've recently become interested in playing this game, I love the character interaction part of the game and being able to go down the light or dark side. Now I'm just wondering to myself what class I should roll as a main? Being an Ex-WoW player myself I historically always went for ranged damage dealers since they tend to be easier. If I went for a range class then the Advanced classes that I'm most interested in are Jedi Sage and Commando, choosing between the two is a bit tricky, while Sage is fragile but has great crowd control I believe and a lightsaber, Commando on the other hand has better Armor, a massive gun and packs with explosives.

However for some reason I could go for melee instead, it's not something I played much even in my WoW days which gives more reason to get into it but I still have my doubts because I was never good with them in WoW's PvP because you always have to think fast and you normally have a view disadvantaged, and considering ToR is very similar to WoW then it's likely to be the same. If I went melee damage dealer then I'm kinda interested in Jedi Sentinel or Jedi Shadow, two lightsabers are better than one. Again it's tricky, Sentinel has better armor and should be able to deal damage as quick as possible but Shadow can stealth and is more of a force user.

Chances are most of you will probably say go for the playstyle you like most, range would probably be more favorable for me but again it's still down to two different classes. :s

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It looks like you want to stick with the republic side. Well if you want range and do some serious damage, from what I remember the smuggler (gunslinger) is your choice.  However, that is from when I played the game way back at launch.  Not 100% positive it still is super high DPS after all of the patches so far, but when I played it was almost boring (very easy) on how quickly I burned through PVE targets.  PVP is slightly different unless they removed the cover mechanics.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

If your set on playing the republic then... (IMO)

DPS Commando for PVP. When I have used them on PVP Im always #1 or 2 on damage. healing commando isn't very good. Story is okay. They are good on PVE also.

Jedi Shadow is a fun class and you can tank to offset the bad armor. Story is the worst of all 8 classes.

Jedi Sentinel is pretty fun to play also. Storyline gets better after Alderaan.

Gunslinger is fun to play and great storyline. great class for not only for PVE,  but PVP also!

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by rodingo
    It looks like you want to stick with the republic side. Well if you want range and do some serious damage, from what I remember the smuggler (gunslinger) is your choice.  However, that is from when I played the game way back at launch.  Not 100% positive it still is super high DPS after all of the patches so far, but when I played it was almost boring (very easy) on how quickly I burned through PVE targets.  PVP is slightly different unless they removed the cover mechanics.

I don't know about the Smuggler, the cover system kinda bothers me. True that they are the most ideal for range damage. Of course I'm rolling for Republic, I prefer being with the good guys. :D

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon
    Originally posted by rodingo

I don't know about the Smuggler, the cover system kinda bothers me. True that they are the most ideal for range damage. Of course I'm rolling for Republic, I prefer being with the good guys. :D

In that case, and if you want to go the commando route, I would reccomend Taugrim's site.  His info is a little out of date since he stopped playing SWTOR, but he really knew how to get synergy out of certain builds and I'm willing to bet most of that info still applies or at least will get you headed in the right direction.  My main actually ended up being a Vanguard because of his Iron Fist spec and I pretty much ruled the battlefields I joined *toots own horn*.  I was actually able to out DPS snipers and Sorcs (while having 3-5 guys beating on me) back in the day and that wasn't easy to do as a "tank" specced class.  I very seldom brag about my PVP'ness, but seriously I have to give a lot of the credit to Taugrim and his guides. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

It turns out that my main character is my Commando and I have 16 characters. I also leveled a DPS sage and while I believe he was great , it was a bit boring in the amount of abilities that he could use. I changed him into a healer recently and still he can do decent DPS , throws rock at something then throws small stones in peoples faces and has a huge bunch of heals.

Any questions ask away , o one thing to note though I am purely a PVE player in SWTOR.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

You will miss the best part of the game if you WON'T play on EMPIRE side.

Reps are nothing comparing to Imps!!!!!!!!! We eat them for breakfast!!!!!!

Try Assassin... :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Well I will admit firing lightning from your hands does look cooler than firing stone pebbles. XD

Bounty Hunters seem to look cooler as well with flamethrowers and the fact the class is based off Boba Fett. :)

Oh well, I can always be Light aligned as an Empire character. :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Well I will admit firing lightning from your hands does look cooler than firing stone pebbles. XD

Bounty Hunters seem to look cooler as well with flamethrowers and the fact the class is based off Boba Fett. :)

Just make two characters, one on each side and play both. See? Problem solved lol

There Is Always Hope!

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

+1 - The Assassins are pretty slick, but then again... Bounty Hunters and Imp Agents are cool too! IMO the Agents have a very interesting story to boot.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Depends on if you are there for the story. if that is the case ignore Rep and go with the Imp Operative. Best story by far in many people's eyes.

If you are going for playstyle, well for everyone imp there is a Rep countrpart. You like getting into the fray, Sentinel is decent. You like being sneaky and in the fray, Shadow.

Going by what was fun for me. I liked the Commando on the Rep side, I could gear for DPS, or for Healer and do either decently. That and I got to use on honking big gun.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

Biased Sith!! :D

On what server is that?Because on ToFN we wipe the floor with poor Sith scum!

There are better classes than Assassin, i have a level 50 Shadow and a 37 Assassin among others, so that's my opinion, Inquisitors have a better story than Consular though, but everyone and their mother plays one, on the Empire side i would personally recommend Imperial Agent. good class, great story.

OP you should just try out various classes, finish starter planets, all classes have an excellent story overall and all are fun to play IMO, i am on a small break currently but i will eventually complete all 8 stories.

And yeah, as someone already mentioned, Commandos are awesome:)

Jedi Sentinel is also a blast, and Jedi Knight story is true SW story, iconic in every way.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

You can indeed. I have a light-aligned Bounty Hunter (Powertech).

If you do decide to roll an Imperial character, I recommend Agent, as their story is better, imo.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Either one of the sith warrior classes.  Their story is so good.  At least in my opinion.