Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: Petition to Revive Endorsed by Garriott

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@Deamgrey the original APB did not close down because it was a bad game.. sure it had bugs and all that but the company had money issues and to top it off the UK government did not give tax brakes to game developers back then where as other EU countries would have, and they just could not afford to keep the game running in the end or fix the bugs that it had.. only option was to close down and sell what they had..

Well the UK gov have recently tried to bring in tax brake for game devs, but the EU is trying to stop it for some reason even tho France has a similar thing already in place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22185476

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Totally signed this, +1 for Garriot and I hope this game is reactivated. It's a shame that NCsoft has their greedy little paws wrapped all around this game and refuse access for anyone who wants to revitalize the product.

Of course he signed it, he's not the one that would have to foot the bill to bring it back online. He gets to look like the hero, rally more people around the game (see? they do love my game!), and position against that evil NCSoft Corporate Monster. He has nothing to lose by signing that and everything to gain.

And YES, I am a huge Garriott fan, but even my clouded eyes are still not blind enough that they can't see the reasons behind this. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Yuui

TR was unique fresh and under-appreciated product that NCSOFT intentionally screwed over. 

I doubt it will go anywhere, but it would be nice to have it back. 

I signed the petition.

The game was revolutionary for the time. Under appreciated and intentionally screwed by NC soft.

But it will need major upgrade to be of any relevance today.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I enjoyed it. Signed.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    YES PLEASE! BRING BACK ANOTHER FAILED MMO!

Beta tester maniac

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Caldrin

@Deamgrey the original APB did not close down because it was a bad game.. sure it had bugs and all that but the company had money issues and to top it off the UK government did not give tax brakes to game developers back then where as other EU countries would have, and they just could not afford to keep the game running in the end or fix the bugs that it had.. only option was to close down and sell what they had..

Well the UK gov have recently tried to bring in tax brake for game devs, but the EU is trying to stop it for some reason even tho France has a similar thing already in place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22185476

Thanks for the information. From what developers have hinted at it sounds like management was not the best and the ambition did not match reality. I don't believe the games quality can be left out though. I didn't play launch but I know its metacritic was in the upper 50's at the time. It is a shame to because I enjoyed Crackdown and I have been playing APB Reloaded for a yearish now. APB as has been described to me made some very bad mistakes and had some questionable decisions. I hear car handling alone could bring a monk to rage.

It is a shame that APB: Reloaded has not been given a second look by many outlets. Just the last few days they have been testing a new game mode called Anarchy where whole districts fight each other and the Asylum map is due out this year along with a completely rewritten UI. Plus additions like the new score system, car surfer, fight clubs, more guns, and an active forum with developers to talk to. /end pimping APB

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I'l support this if i get my C.E perks back with the re-launch.

If not i'l walk.

This have been a good conversation

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Good luck, but it won't happen, neither will a City of Heroes revival.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I'd rather have Auto Assault revived..  That was the one true unique MMOG I have ever played and I enjoyed it immensely.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I know it not happen but signed!

TR was great mmo & universe

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I never play this game so I do not understand what is the obsession about the remake for this title?

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

If they don't make some radical changes to the game just simply resurrecting it won't help. It will die off again.

There was a reason game died because well no one was playing it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    This game died fair and square.  It shouldn't come back unless it's getting a complete revamp, IMO.

Kind of like Asheron's Call 2?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    This game died fair and square.  It shouldn't come back unless it's getting a complete revamp, IMO.

And then the game isn't good anymore for the vets as it isn't the game they played back then.

Maybe just for the better just to cherish the memories.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Yeah.... NCSoft is just gonna jump at the chance to reinstate someone who sued em for 24 million dollars.

I won't support someone who is greedy and sued for way in excess.  And jsut wtf happen to the money?  If the game was SOOOOOO great then why did he not continue with it, he sure as hell has the money.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    I never play this game so I do not understand what is the obsession about the remake for this title?

Says the guy with the biggest video game logo sig on the entire forum. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Though it was never stated, I think Garriott was the main reason NCSoft dumped the game. They wanted to be rid of him and couldn't separate him from TR.

Sad, really.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177
    there is no return from the NCaxe.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by achesoma

This.  I started in early CB and it never improved.  It deserved to die.  There are much better pseudo-action MMOs already on the market. 

Same here.  Game had potential on paper but in reality it was horrible, felt wrong, boring and I'm personally not surprised it died and really don't want to see it again.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I think you're spot on in the description at least: if all those pieces of crap out there survive on F2P, Tabula Rasa surely could as well.

It's not a far stretch for someone to pick it up and turn it into F2P. After all, it's been done before to other dead games.

Biggest issues are probably legal.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i signed it although i never played it.  i think it was a little bit ahead of its time upon release, as it released in the middle of the "clonefest" where WoW was incomprehensibly popular and everyone wanted to make the next WoW by parroting its mechanics.  TR was different and now that more people are embracing different games maybe it's TR time to shine.

though on a personal note if they bring back TR they for damnsure better bring back CoX :)

edit... i'm 356.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by elocke

This.  I started in early CB and it never improved.  It deserved to die.  There are much better pseudo-action MMOs already on the market. 

Same here.  Game had potential on paper but in reality it was horrible, felt wrong, boring and I'm personally not surprised it died and really don't want to see it again.

Well you have to admit, it was 100% better than most of these f2p games out there now and they seem to be doing well.  Just because you did not like it does not mean it was not a good game.  Give me one pseudo-action game out there that is better?  I certainly can't think of one.  Don't you dare name Defiance, that game is pathetic compared to TB.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I signed it for support.

But reality is friends. It will never happen. Not even when a billion People sign this petition.

There is just too much bad blood between Richard Garriott and NCSoft. Too much politics.

NCSoft has shut this game Down for that very reason. It had nothing to do with the game.

They shut it Down because of politics. Plain and simple.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I signed it for support.

But reality is friends. It will never happen. Not even when a billion People sign this petition.

There is just too much bad blood between Richard Garriott and NCSoft. Too much politics.

NCSoft has shut this game Down for that very reason. It had nothing to do with the game.

They shut it Down because of politics. Plain and simple.

Yep you pretty much nailed it.  I don't think NCSoft would even consider selling it.  It just left a very bad taste in their mouth.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by elocke

Well you have to admit, it was 100% better than most of these f2p games out there now and they seem to be doing well.  Just because you did not like it does not mean it was not a good game.  Give me one pseudo-action game out there that is better?  I certainly can't think of one.  Don't you dare name Defiance, that game is pathetic compared to TB.

Well having played both, Defiance is superior if played on the proper platform (xbox/PS).  I can name a few F2P games out right now that I feel are much better than TR was.  

PS2, Tribes: Ascend, Tera, Rift (starting 12 June 2013) AvA, Arctic combat, need I go on?  I think not.  The point being; opinions vary, to me TR was clunky and outdated before it was even out of BETA.  Good ideas, poor execution.  IN MY OPINION.  Your's obviously varies from mine.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.