Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO not really an MMO

jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    That doesn't exactly jive with the constant comments about the focus of the high end game being on AvA, which is not single player and denotes something much larger than regular multi-player.  It seems to me that the comments were taken a bit out of context.  It would make more sense if they were discussing the personal storyline portion of the game, which does not apply to the other aspects, such as the dungeon crawls, raids, AvA, crafting and guild keeps.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    That doesn't exactly jive with the constant comments about the focus of the high end game being on AvA, which is not single player and denotes something much larger than regular multi-player.  It seems to me that the comments were taken a bit out of context.  It would make more sense if they were discussing the personal storyline portion of the game, which does not apply to the other aspects, such as the dungeon crawls, raids, AvA, crafting and guild keeps.

Guild Keeps I haven't heard anything about. Raids are not traditional WoW style raids but a different form of large group PvE content. They're in the adventure zones they haven't given us many details about yet, but likely will just be GW2 style big world bosses or something.

Dungeons and Crafting are a small part of group PvE content but when you consider that they also devoted three full endgame zones, one for each faction, for people to solo quest in after they hit max level, it's a very small part of the larger picture. I'm not sure it will be enough group content to sustain the type of audience an MMORPG needs.

Yea we'll have Cyrodill but it almost seems like a different game at this point, the PvP aspects of it. It's totally instanced off in it's own little world and we're unable to PvP in the regular game world which is limiting and not fun - seamless, open worlds are the best. But on top of that they're going with this instanced "campaign" thing for the AvA.

I dunno, there are just so many things pointing to this game sucking and the devs not knowing what the heck they're doing. I am hoping it's awesome, but I've been worried for a while about the direction they're taking and this new article just makes it worse.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    That site is known to write anything from mediocre to totally  stupid articles. I hope only that game would be not to social, nobody wants old days of group questing again baaahh
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    read it and weep :(

You deserve any and all trolling.

If you're not intelligent enough to realize that whoever wrote that article is a complete dumbass, I feel sorry for you.

It doesn't take much intelligence to realize that what Matt Firor is talking about is that the appearance of the game is more like the Elder Scrolls games than it is a traditional MMO.  That the questing is more Elder Scrolls than a traditional MMO.  The combat is more like an Elder Scrolls game than a traditional MMO.  Do you understand english?  Do you get why he is describing TESO like that?  

Am I really bothering with this?  He's clearly hyping up the idea that it's less like a traditional MMO, and more like what most ES fans want, a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game.  Though, most of us that follow it, who have some amount of intellect... realize that while certain parts of the single player games have made the transitions, there are still a lot about TESO that scream 'traditional MMO'.  

Either way.. I'm done.  Either your trolling or dumb.  You should be suspended either way.  

Well if Massively were the only ones reporting that quote I might agree with you. But it's all over the internet on various sites and a ton of people are talking about the very same concern the OP has. So if Matt Firor merely was being unclear and the various communities all over the internet merely misunderstood him, than he needs to speak up ASAP.  Or maybe you're just in denial. I think we all want this game to be awesome, but a lot of the news the past few months has all been going in the same direction.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    good.  other people suck.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    That site is known to write anything from mediocre to totally  stupid articles. I hope only that game would be not to social, nobody wants old days of group questing again baaahh

There is a place for group questing but I am with you on not wanting to group to quest. Trying to coordinate with someone that you dont know IRL is like asking a kid with A.D.D. to pay attention.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Guild Keeps I haven't heard anything about. Raids are not traditional WoW style raids but a different form of large group PvE content. They're in the adventure zones they haven't given us many details about yet, but likely will just be GW2 style big world bosses or something.

Dungeons and Crafting are a small part of large group content but when you consider that they also devoted three full endgame zones, one for each faction, for people to solo quest in after they hit max level, it's a very small part of the larger picture. I'm not sure it will be enough group content to sustain the type of audience an MMORPG needs.

Yea we'll have Cyrodill but it almost seems like a different game at this point, the PvP aspects of it. It's totally instanced off in it's own little world and we're unable to PvP in the regular game world which is limiting and not fun - seamless, open worlds are the best. But on top of that they're going with this instanced "campaign" thing for the AvA.

I dunno, there are just so many things pointing to this game sucking and the devs not knowing what the heck they're doing. I am hoping it's awesome, but I've been worried for a while about the direction they're taking and this new article just makes it worse.

It's going to give most gamers 3-6 months of fun at best.  It will go F2P after about a year.  

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

"ZeniMax views TESO as more multiplayer Elder Scrolls than MMO"

....GOOD. Hopefully they'll avoid all the trappings of all the modern MMORPG's I don't enjoy.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

If you're not intelligent enough to realize that whoever wrote that article is a complete dumbass, I feel sorry for you.

It doesn't take much intelligence to realize that what Matt Firor is talking about is that the appearance of the game is more like the Elder Scrolls games than it is a traditional MMO.  That the questing is more Elder Scrolls than a traditional MMO.  The combat is more like an Elder Scrolls game than a traditional MMO.  Do you understand english?  Do you get why he is describing TESO like that?  

Am I really bothering with this?  He's clearly hyping up the idea that it's less like a traditional MMO, and more like what most ES fans want, a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game.  Though, most of us that follow it, who have some amount of intellect... realize that while certain parts of the single player games have made the transitions, there are still a lot about TESO that scream 'traditional MMO'.  

Either way.. I'm done.  Either your trolling or dumb.  You should be suspended either way.  

Well if Massively were the only ones reporting that quote I might agree with you. But it's all over the internet on various sites and a ton of people are talking about the very same concern the OP has. So if Matt Firor merely was being unclear and the various communities all over the internet merely misunderstood him, than he needs to speak up ASAP.  Or maybe you're just in denial. I think we all want this game to be awesome, but a lot of the news the past few months has all been going in the same direction.

Yea right. Like is there any chance that ''you'' people'' are not concerned about something anyway? All your existence is based  about  to find something wrong and bad. You could not exist without that, all your life is cynical and dark and now you try to release your anger and cry for help on mmo forums. You will be positive only at that moment when asteroid strikes   Earth and you can see that all of humanity is gone together with you

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    That doesn't exactly jive with the constant comments about the focus of the high end game being on AvA, which is not single player

How does "ZeniMax views TESO as more multiplayer Elder Scrolls than MMO" equate to "single player"?

First off, that's the best news I've heard since I first heard it.

Secondly, there is still a robust faction warfare system which is certainly not "single player".

Since "mmo's" don't necessarily have a great track record and don't necessarily have great game play I feel pretty good about them making it a multi-player Elder Scrolls with a major pvp component.

edit: but as others have said, it's most likely "the feel" of a multi-player elder scrolls game. When I tried it at PAX it certainly felt "mmo like". I wouldn't worry about it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

It's called English.  Don't take my word for it, just read the quote.  Then read the following quotes.  It's called deductive reasoning.  It's called common sense.  When he says TESO is more like an Elder Scrolls multiplayer game, he isn't saying that the game isn't an MMO.  He's saying, clearly by reading the following quotes, that the game LOOKS and FEELS like a single player Elder Scrolls game according to the systems he is CITING.  I'm pointing specifically at the combat and UI quotes.

All I'm doing is reading and using my brain.  I suggest you do the same.  I can't even believe I'm bothering to respond.  I'm actually embarrassed for myself for even attempting to spell out something so obvious.

Dungeons and Crafting are a small part of large group content but when you consider that they also devoted three full endgame zones, one for each faction, for people to solo quest in after they hit max level, it's a very small part of the larger picture. I'm not sure it will be enough group content to sustain the type of audience an MMORPG needs.

It's going to give most gamers 3-6 months of fun at best.  It will go F2P after about a year.  

Yea I agree at the rate this is going, most typical MMO fans will only last a few months in this game before they're done, but then it'll die because F2P won't work for ESO. What does a single player RPG fan need to buy in an item shop? Regular MMORPG fans are used to this and have a ton of items they'll want - cosmetics to show off to their friends and other members of the community, XP/Gold/Rep boosts, bank and character slot expansions, Subscription options like TERA's "Elite" status to give you ongoing perks, etc. But RPG fans aren't used to paying anything but a one time fee to play the entire game forever and from the looks of it Bethesda is working hard to make sure ESO feels the same way so there will be no reason for the only remaining players to buy anything. Like I said, Bethesda/Zenimax don't know what the hell they're doing.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Dungeons and Crafting are a small part of group PvE content but when you consider that they also devoted three full endgame zones, one for each faction, for people to solo quest in after they hit max level, it's a very small part of the larger picture. I'm not sure it will be enough group content to sustain the type of audience an MMORPG needs.

actually they've told us they won't have enormous bosses to fight. 

and cyrodiil is a big owpvp area.  it's bigger than a faction pve area.  it's instanced in a sense but really it's a persistant zone.  full of pve and pvp.

also the original interview that massively got this info from firor states that they started developing eso as more of a multiplayer es game.  but if you've read or heard any interviews since it's definitely an mmo.

Originally posted by muffins89

and cyrodiil is a big owpvp area.  it's bigger than a faction pve area.  it's instanced in a sense but really it's a persistant zone.  full of pve and pvp.

also the original interview that massively got this info from firor states that they started developing eso as more of a multiplayer es game.  but if you've read or heard any interviews since it's definitely an mmo.

Just touching on the world boss thing.

That's true, specifically stated in an interview, there will not be huge world bosses the size of skyscrapers.  

This doesn't mean however that there won't be DAOC like elite areas, or 'adventure zones' as you will.  There just won't be dragons or massive titans and such.  There will be evil necromancers with skeleton armies or deadra with demonic minions.  Really, the size of the creature doesn't matter.  It's the strength and challenge that those creatures will create for the player.  

Originally posted by muffins89

- Yes I know they won't have enourmous bosses to fight, they will have large group PvE content so by big bosses I meant hard bosses that require large groups of players to take down. Did you not get that? I thought it was pretty darn clear, seeing as we were discussing the confirmed existence of large group PvE content and what that really means in game.

-Yes I know Cyrodiil is huge but that's not the point. It's a separate area closed off from the game world, it's like GW2's WvWvW. It's not the same experience as a true seamless, open world MMO.

-The original interview is found here and it's on video. He clearly states right at the first question, "We really view this as a multi-player Elder Scrolls game more than an MMO." and then he goes into detail for about 2 minutes after that as to why it's more of a multi-player Elder Scrolls game. Right here and now and in the future development of the game. And by the way this interview was done last week at a Pre-E3 event, so it's much more recent than any previous articles or interviews.

Video of the interview:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=113901

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Since ESO will be a PvP game glued over a standard single player game this news doesn't really surprise me. I just hope for the sake of the people going to play ESO that at least the PvP will be decent.

I'm afraid this will be another SWTOR, though..

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Although I own/played Oblivion and Morrowind, I'm not a 'fan' in the sense of the word. I liked the games well enough but I can't sit here and recite the lore or name one character from my playing days.

But I must say, now I'm somewhat confused by what they mean this game to be. I thought it was supposed to be a full RvRvR mmo. Now it's somewhat 'solo the whole game' like WoW.

I think the only way to figure out what this game is going to be is for me to plunk down $5 for a pre-order and get into the beta (fingers crossed) and see.

Not sure I want to drop $60 on a game with this much mixed-up messaging ala Defiance (mmo, but not an mmo).

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I don't know why everybody seem surprised,the writings have been on the wall for quite some times.I was expecting a single player with multi + PvP.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    As I said ... another Swtor, single player game where you see other players sometimes running around. Bah
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Yes it does sound like it's going to be another SWTOR like experience.

Just not massive but multiplayer, and I'm willing to bet that TESO is using the Hero Engine.

Despite of what they said that they are not.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    If your definition of 'not really an MMO' is because it is soloable, then I guess MMOs don't really exist.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by evilastro
    If your definition of 'not really an MMO' is because it is soloable, then I guess MMOs don't really exist.

That's what I'm thinking.

People are getting caught up on words and terms. Nothing has changed from their first announcement other than letting players go to the other faction areas with their own faction members.

Nothing.

So for good or ill, the game is the very same game that they have been talking about. It has quests, it has instanced dungeons and some non-instanced dungeons, it has a sort of phasing and it has rvrvr pvp.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The topics in this forum just hit a new IQ low. I didn't think that was possible.

Of course it's a bloody MMO... Its just one being designed to feel more familiar to Skyrim players than to WOW tourists... This is a good thing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Iselin

The topics in this forum just hit a new IQ low. I didn't think that was possible.

Of course it's a bloody MMO... Its just one being designed to feel more familiar to Skyrim players than to WOW tourists... This is a good thing.

I know right, I feel like some of my brain dies every time I visit here lately.

Its PR spin because people think its going to be a WoW / SWTOR clone, to appease the ES fans.