Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: A Noob In WoW

Comments

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

The game didn't change as much as it's players did. 

People used to do things for the sake of it, Tarren mill vs southshore being one, people blame blizzard for that disappearing - you can still do it right now. But players will only play the "systems" for "rewards" that generally have a used by date of a couple of months

Theres videos of vanilla players on my computer of 40 paladins vs 40 shamans, just too see who would win.

World bosses used to generate world PVP fights, but in MoP those same world bosses more often get killed without contest. 

The fun left the game when the players decided they wanted rewards and shinies, rather then enjoying and creating there own fun. Blizzard just started supporting the players desires by adding in guild levels and battlegrounds because thats what people wanted and its a tangible system that sees metrics of use.

The old days were truly rose coloured goggles - but not for the reasons others seem to think. 

• The movie Titanic and WoW....I wonder how few there are like me?
  • Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

I started playing WoW in the begining. It is truly like an old Girl friend, You try new stuff things but always find comfort when you go back to her.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

"Today’s game developers could learn a thing or two from World of Warcraft by simply allowing for a multiplicity of starter zones. That one small fact in and of itself gives a strong replayability option to any game as amply evidenced by WoW."

I COMPLETELY agree. There are few things I enjoy about WoW anymore but I do have to say that even on release the replayability of the game was excellent. Several newer games (released in the last 2 years, I won't name names) could have taken a page from their book. Having little variation in where you level makes replayability a boring prospect.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

A good read.  I pretty much agree with everything, except that Vol'jin will be the next leader of the  horde.  Sylvannas is cool, but I love trolls mon hehe!  There's several things that Blizzard has done right and done well, which is why WoW has stuck around this long and done so well.  Most listed in the article.  There's always something to do.  As someone with ADHD, I get easily bored and distracted, but in WoW I find myself just switching to a different activity instead of playing another game.

Another thing that Blizzard did well was the use of their to make things look better than they really are.  This allows them to make gorgeous zones like the Isle of Thunder, and make it with 4 polygons lol.  Where as newer games would take the Isle of Thunder and put in billions of polygons and shaders.  This allows WoW to be played on just about everything.  I've played on a $199 laptop that was 3 years old, and got 20fps even in Orgrimmar.  Most other MMOs won't even load on such a weak laptop.  If you got the computer to run it, I suggest putting everything maxed out and go to the Isle of Thunder, and lots of parts in Pandaria.  They simply look better and use less than any other MMO.  My new laptop can play it on maximum settings even in 25man raids and still hit the capped 60 fps and stay there during anything.

As a Lore-W#$@#  (that's what a friend called me lol), I find the Lore in WoW to be the best ever in any MMO.  There is always something going on.  After you defeat one evil, another arises.  It's a neverending story (thinks back to the '80s real quick).  There's not just one story happening there are multiple storylines taking place at the same time.  Another thing no other MMO does.  In other MMOs you'll get one maybe two if you're lucky over arching storylines.  In WoW, there's a ton of them.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Gravarg

A good read.  I pretty much agree with everything, except that Vol'jin will be the next leader of the  horde.  Sylvannas is cool, but I love trolls mon hehe!  

Sylvanas will have her own part in story in next expansion, she will reunite with her sisters, Vereesa and Alleria (which was lost with Turalyon, but they will make come back and will be part of upcoming expansion, and I hope - if Blizzard dont f**k up - good epic story)

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    /sigh ... Leave it to MMORPG.com to publish an article about being a new WoW player, yet "coincidentally" end it with more garbage that basically says "F2P is the wave of the future because those are the guys that buy our ads!"
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    ^ good spot ^
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    From what I see in the comments I am sure the article was well written. I for one attempted to read it, but lost interest after the first 2 paragraphs. WoW is for many ancient history and for good reason. After you zoom by to max level you hit the grindmill of either dailys or raids. PvP is sooooooooo gear focused you spend most your time not even enjoying the fights because all you keep hoping for is the day you finally get the high end gear to be able to enjoy it. 

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by wowclones
    You shouldn't even be allowed to review WOW. This is an insult to the mmo industry, no one wants a review 8 years later. You played Neverwinter before WOW, sad. No excuse as there is a free trial. I can imagine you are a stubborn person in real life. Stop calling yourself an mmo player[mod edit]

I really didn't want to respond to this but think I have to. First off, it's NOT a review.  It's merely impressions of a first-time player. 

Secondly, I have played more MMOs than you can even imagine. That I neglected WoW isn't a crime. I had other things to do like, I don't know, raising my daughter and going through a life-threatening disease. But, gee, maybe you're right and I should have gotten to it faster. * rolls eyes *

For the record? I'm not stubborn either. :D

whoops, didn't bother to see it was you Suzie, thought you were just posting the story. My bad, but I am still saying shame on you for not playing WOW earlier :)  

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

1. My server is mostly dead and past level 20 there is no one to play with,

[mod edit] You are level 60.  the zones are cross-realm zones.  There are tdefinitely people around you when out leveling.  Dungeon queue times are faster than any other game in the entire industry while leveling.

Yes there are a few dead PvP servers and a couple slow PvE ones, but that doesnt even come into play until 85+.

[mod edit]

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Great article Suzie.  I share your noob-ism with WoW as I started in Sept 2012.  And like you I was impressed not only with the quality but admire the character Azeroth exudes.  Which is surprising for such an 'old' game.  I've played EQ, EQ2, SWTOR, DCUO, Eden Eternal, Aion, GW2, DDO, LOTRO, and countless other MMOs but find myself having the most fun in WoW.

I don't think it makes Blizzard a bad company, but does expose the lack of quality AAA MMOs out there.  I'm not against action/twitch-based combat its just not for me.  I like running the numbers.  Its tab target but you still have mobility (at least I do with my Hunter).

It is a gear grind but most MMOs are.  That and the exploration was why we (or at least I) played to begin with.

Looking forward to a true sequel to WoW either from Blizzard or another developer who 'gets' what MMOs truly are about.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    A fine game, except you can get to max level in under 24 hours and end game is depressingly dumbed down compared to vanilla, or most mmo's in general.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

The combat in WoW may be addicting and super fun, but the quest system is atrocious and drains all the fun right out of it.

Seriously the amount of quests and the tedious nature of almost each and every one of them is a major buzz kill and personally makes me ill. Not to mention that 99% of the quests in WoW are fetch quests or massive faction/pvp grind.

I like a game that is fun for its gameplay, not for running from point A to point B and back again. So at least WoW got one thing right, but the quest system in that game can go straight to....

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Braindome

The combat in WoW may be addicting and super fun, but the quest system is atrocious and drains all the fun right out of it.

Seriously the amount of quests and the tedious nature of almost each and every one of them is a major buzz kill and personally makes me ill. Not to mention that 99% of the quests in WoW are fetch quests or massive faction/pvp grind.

I like a game that is fun for its gameplay, not for running from point A to point B and back again. So at least WoW got one thing right, but the quest system in that game can go straight to....

Some people enjoy game worlds and its stories.  WoW tells its stories by far better than anyone else.

I prefer quests like EQ2's heritage quests and wish WoW had a bunch like that, but for games where quests are the main source of leveling there isnt even one in the same universe as WoW in quality/variety/presentation/fun.  if you dont like quest leveling youll hate it of course but if you have to at least respect it for its quality.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

I remember when WoW was released..

I remember when the 50 players in our Dota clan/friends left War 3 for it.

I remember seeing around 40 of them come back and say it was boring and to easy..

Originally posted by zellmer

I remember when WoW was released..

I remember when the 50 players in our Dota clan/friends left War 3 for it.

I remember seeing around 40 of them come back and say it was boring and to easy..

How long did they play before they knew it was boring and easy?  

All games are easy in the beginning.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    You shouldn't even be allowed to review WOW. This is an insult to the mmo industry, no one wants a review 8 years later. You played Neverwinter before WOW, sad. No excuse as there is a free trial. I can imagine you are a stubborn person in real life. Stop calling yourself an mmo player, because you are not.[mod edit]

obviously your are not smart enough to see this article is not a review. Maybe you didnt read the article and judge it by the title and couple lines.Your post is an insult to the mmo community. No excuses, you assume every gamer has played WoW at some point in their lives and whoever hast played it isnt a gamer. I can imagine you are a stubborn person in real life, change your attitude towards WoW and gamers because one game (in this case  WoW) doesnt make a person more or less gamer than other games.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

1. My server is mostly dead and past level 20 there is no one to play with,

[mod edit].  You are level 60.  the zones are cross-realm zones.  There are tdefinitely people around you when out leveling.  Dungeon queue times are faster than any other game in the entire industry while leveling.

Yes there are a few dead PvP servers and a couple slow PvE ones, but that doesnt even come into play until 85+.

[mod edit]

Played my new mage to mid 20's and dead other then the starting area, my main is now 85 and same thing dead. 

Originally posted by Raserei

WoW is a great MMO! Actually it's revolutionary! But when you played it for 6 years and tried every MMO since then, it becomes a depression. A depression of what the **** is happening in the gaming world!?

College degrees are king it seems, but gaming experience means nothing. This is what is costing the industry millions. 

Email me and Ill spend 24 hours a day creating the best game. 

[email protected]

Great point. But you know what happened.  New people, every year mind you, find WoW for the first time and have the same experience you did.  You just may not wanted to have admitted it.

The result of that? Everyone trying to copy that formula to produce the same outcome.  When instead they should have been making their own better formula.

A successful MMO is going to come from the roll of the die.  Not from making these one-shop, flashy, we do everything half-assed excuses claiming to be MMO.  And thats after they conveniently cut off the -RPG.

But Im cursed. I have to play everyone MMO until I find the one better than WoW.  But lost hope for that day long time now.  Only thing left is surprise.

C-

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I quite enjoyed the article. I'm glad you are enjoying the game.  WoW for all its faults is still a good game up to level cap.  I started in late beta.  I have two 90's an 87 and six 85's.  But I suspect I'm pretty much done for now.  Last month, I logged in to work on my level 87 hunter, and just sat there. Nothing really motivated me to get to 88. So I logged off, and ended my subscription.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    You shouldn't even be allowed to review WOW. This is an insult to the mmo industry, no one wants a review 8 years later. You played Neverwinter before WOW, sad. No excuse as there is a free trial. I can imagine you are a stubborn person in real life. Stop calling yourself an mmo player, because you are not.[mod edit]

obviously your are not smart enough to see this article is not a review. Maybe you didnt read the article and judge it by the title and couple lines.Your post is an insult to the mmo community. No excuses, you assume every gamer has played WoW at some point in their lives and whoever hast played it isnt a gamer. I can imagine you are a stubborn person in real life, change your attitude towards WoW and gamers because one game (in this case  WoW) doesnt make a person more or less gamer than other games.

It's no a review? why because it doesn't have a score attached to it? First Steps>Story>Gameplay>The Community. Sorry  that's a review, 

re·view [ri-vyoo] 

noun

a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; 

critique; evaluation.

Just because there is no glaring title with a numeric value attached to it doesn't mean this isn't a review?Also didn't know it was Suzie Ford that was actually playing for the first time, so definitely my fault for coming off like that. As far as not being smart enough, if this isn't by definition a review then maybe i do need to go back to school. 

Originally posted by rojo6934

It's not a review? why because it doesn't have a score attached to it? First Steps>Story>Gameplay>The Community. Sorry  that's a review, 

re·view [ri-vyoo] 

noun

a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; 

critique; evaluation.

Just because there is no glaring title with a numeric value attached to it doesn't mean this isn't a review?Also didn't know it was Suzie Ford that was actually playing for the first time, so definitely my fault for coming off like that (SORRY SUZIE!). As far as not being smart enough, if this isn't by definition a review then maybe i do need to go back to school. 

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Never played it, never wanted too either, the closest I have ever been near WoW was when I watched that awesome video of Leeroy!.