Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Marvel Heroes: F2P Isn't a Charity

Comments

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

Anyways, when your customers are spending ~$10.00 per hero not including the customized skins that might come with the character. You're spending well over $200.00 dollars for a product that use to only cost $59.99 and I don't doubt that the game will become increasingly more expensive. If you're into Action RPG's and you're looking for a new game. Don't play this one. Don't even take their bait. They're over charging you for a product that's not worth the cost. If you're looking for a Marvel Action RPG look at Marvel Super Alliance 1-2 instead of feeding into this cash grab. It'll save you the $175.00+ dollars you'll be spending on it in the long run.--------------- You can spend 0-20 for a character, use that character to unlock others. You start off with 1 and you get a 2nd from a quest. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. If you choose to spend that much thats on you. All the $20 packs came with $20 in game cash to use for more unlocks now it only comes with $10 which is still good.

I'd highly recommend http://www.pathofexile.com/ instead. It doesn't lock the players out of any of the characters for their customers and customers also have access to all of the content within the game with only minor micro transactions and they're fully supportive of their community with quick updates and fixes. ---------------------------This is a completely different game.  Either you played this game already or aren't going to until some new update comes out and grasps some new players. Don't get me wrong, I really like path of exile. While I don't think it's a bad game,it just appeals to more of a niche crowd over Marvel that has super heroes which every one enjoys. Its all about flavor and the appeal. Is a kid going to play Path Of Exile over seeing their favorite super hero in Marvel? Maybe not but it also depends on the kid.

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg

Why is it okay for League Of Legends to do it but any other game it's an issue?

All the heroes and costumes can be obtained by playing the game just League does.

Whoever said that League of Legends payment system was okay? wasn't me that's for sure. I disagree with the way they limit their players as well, seeing as though other games in the genre don't do the same thing.

People accept Leagues payment. Watch when Marvel becomes more established and more people are doing pvp. People are gonna want to buy up heroes that are on sale for the week. Find out whos the top tier. It's all about the meta game. Prices will get sorted out, sales will happen,there will be promotions. I think League and Marvel's pricing is solid over something like Neverwinter.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This is why I am staying away from the F2P model; because people will argue over how much cash shop items will cost.  Then the argument that most of the F2P players will not spend a dime on the game so some people will need to spend a few hundred bucks to get what they want unless they are willing to grind out the game over time.  Both sides of the F2P market throwing bombs at each other.  While P2P without meaningful cash shops dont have this issue.  You want something in game go earn it outside of a few Pets like WoW does.  Thats why I am going to FFXIV $30 for the game 1 Character $12.99 a month I get everything I dont need to pay for a freeloader and I do not have to match my wallet vs someone else's wallet just so people dont have to pay for the game.  In a P2P game everyone pays the same amount no inequality 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I read through the responses and laughed and laughed. 

This is one of the few games that actually feels FREE TO PLAY for me.

Questions for myself

• Is the game perfect? No. 

• Is the game fun? Yes. Can play a few minutes or few hours and feel satisfied.

• Will I get to play the whole game without buying anything? Yes

I found these things out in closed beta and so bought a pack. I wanted to support a game that actually was free to play the game but had options worth buying. I will not say the game is perfect. I wish the starting heroes were different to a degree but Scarlet Witch is one of the game's powerhouses.

There is a lot I wish for the game but I see them trying to improve a game that I have fun with. I try to play Diablo and Torchlight but after so many hours those games get depressing to me. I am not a fan of dark and dreary. This here offers me a chance to jump in and goof around with some friends easily or just go and bash some Sentinels if I wish. Just mindless fun and I can get drops that allow for expanding what I experience makes it even better.

KEY WORD-- EXPANDING--- Too many keep saying they don't get the full game. Yes they get the full game. They just don't get all the possible extra ways to play it at the start. If they put the time into the game (which could be a lot of time) then they get all possible ways to play. The way these posters and most others talk then they must pre-order every single game they even have an inkling of desire to play. They have to have everything so they must buy the collector's edition as well. Anything that gives them bonus content has to be bought otherwise they don't want anything to do with the game because they don't get the full game then.

Marvel Heroes feels like a free to play game like League of Legends is to me. I have 27 more heroes to buy there and will have bought them all with IP. I have probably put $300 dollars plus into buying skins though as I like the game enough to support it and capable of doing so. Marvel Heroes is one that if you get a good group of friends then you might have to pay nothing if they are willing to give you a Hero drop and I don't think many will be holding onto extra costumes of the same type unless that is the only costume they want for said Hero. There will be a few special ones that might not drop but those are not numerous.

Thanks for the article as I am use to seeing the complaints. I want to know what people are saying about Dragon's Prophet then when you have to buy slots to have dragons and still very limited so have to release dragons to get new ones because not enough room. Neverwinter went with drop boxes that require cash keys to open. To me that ruins the game and makes it anything but free. "We will fill your inventory with this item that requires cash items to open" is not free to play to me. That is shoving in my face that I can't get all the loot that drops without having to pay cash. But this is all my opinion and each person has one (whether their's or someone else's) and so many will complain verbally and many who enjoy will just play the game.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

I agree with those who see FTP as a bigger money sink than we had with subscription services. Actually, Marvel Heroes isn't bad. But Neverwinter and Dragon's Prophet  will nickel and dime you to death.

I will continue to play these games until I get to the point of BTP, that is if it costs too much money to continue. I think Elder Scrolls hasn't decided on their pay system yet because they are watching to see what other games are doing, what problems arise, like these money sink FTPs.

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48

f2p isn't a charity, but then neither am I. The important issue at stake when I decide to pay for something is whether I feel taken advantage of, or not. If I feel taken advantage of, mot only don't I buy, but it casts a little negative vibe on the game (for me.) As an example: Neverwinter charges $5.00 for two character slots. It seems a GREAT deal to me, and I have already dropped the money for two more. IMO, they could charge more.

OTOH, they charge $10 for one coalescent ward, which strikes me as very money-grubbing. As I said, not only won't I buy one, but I end up slightly put off.

The issue publishers face is charging the "right" amount. I'm sure it will get figured out.

Of course Path of Exile is a completely different game. It's darker and much grittier than Marvel Heroes. But it fits under the same genre. It's an Action RPG just like Marvel Heroes is. The major differences between the two games is the amount of content that is barred from the player.

I'm simply telling the potential customers that this game is essentially Marvel Super Alliance 1-2 but customers will definitely look at paying significantly more money with this game. I'm not stating that the games content isn't unlock able through playing the game. I'm stating that if you're looking to spending money on this game (knowing the spending habits people have reported on these forums) it'll save these people a lot of money investing their time in other titles.

No you are advertising for another game telling people that your opinion is better and they should go play this instead. I can make one character in both those games and play through all the content. Do you really need all heroes right away? Not really. Each hero is considered an alt. In Path you are mostly playing one or two characters. The most I could ever seeing you need is three. I read a post of someone getting to level 40 and unlocking four characters. So moral of F2P games is just play them. If spending money is a big deal or you feel that you are being "locked" from content then maybe you should play something. Most F2P games have the content obtainable by just playing the game. A good example is running games on phones. You can either sit there,play the game and unlock stuff as you go or throw money at it to unlock all the power ups and what not. Where is the fun in that? Just play the games.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If there are so many "freeloaders" in F2P why do they make such a fuck ton amount of money for the developers?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Pardon me for expecting free to actually, you know, be free. 
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    If i were a business man, the logical thing to do would be to create a game that was slightly in my favor as far as making a profit, which in this case the more popular heroes, and outfits for the heroes would be the most expensive, but right on that edge of its not really worth that much money, but its not really asking too much where the consumer will turn it down. And then the boosters and Inventory would come into play around 66% of the completed Heroe, No one quits at half-time =), So at this point you've hooked the majority, and finally you start releasing end game content everyone month or 2 for free, and cash shop gear that would be considered the minimal starting gear for the new content, and have the content contain ever better gear, ideally making it so its not needed but if you are falling a bit short of being able to complete the content the cash shop "option" will give you the slight boost you need to over come it. Throw in some good pvp scenarios, and boom you are making some serious cheddar.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
    Pardon me for expecting free to actually, you know, be free. 

/facepalm

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    If there are so many "freeloaders" in F2P why do they make such a fuck ton amount of money for the developers?

because you have people like the one who posted on this forum today that spend $20K

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/386680/page/1

"I spend an insane amount of video games every year, not going to be specific but over 20k"

You get enough people that spend money like that and you will get more money.  Thing is these players will not be around for long as soon as they find out how much they spend they will stop and leave gaming all together.  Wouldnt be surprised if this guy does.  Reminds me of players on evony that would spend thousands to be max level on day 1 of a new server out and they ruled the server.  

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The power of consumers to agitate for removing fees is an interesting flip side perspective to the usual focus on the publisher's power to use data gathering to more efficiently drive people into greater microtransactions.

It's still demonstrating that the relationship between consumer and publisher is essentially adversarial instead of cooperative in this business model, but it is an interesting perspective.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Can't agree with this article more. With no up front cost this game is a huge value. And one thing people have to remember, is being a free game the majority of players won't ever spend a dime. Unfortunately, that does mean the minority has to pay for the majority.

We do get sexy costumes and heroes for trouble though.

People also forget you can craft costumes ingame from dropped recipies, and you can also get drops for free hero's they are just rare.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I just saw the prices of the content packs on Steam, and all 3 cost £190, that is like the cost of 5 new games at £38 each, or a standard PC MMO game, followed by 16 months of subscriptions.

Having to pay a whopping £190 in one go for one game touted as FREE to play is one big turn off.

No doubt there will be more of these packs later too, raising the total price over time

F2P is going from bad to worse each day. I can not even bring myself to buy the Legacy Pack for STO. I don't mind paying a fiver here and there but paying for stuff in the £100s is getting ridiculous, and most of the stuff they put out for sale is just fluff and different skins, and no meaty content - I would rather pay for gameplay missions which once completed gets you the items / unlocks than paying to get them direct.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

You've all grown fat and entitled. You don't get a piece of a game for your money. You can play the entire game from start to finish without ever spending a penny. You buy another Hero if you want that hero bad enough to pay for it, if not you don't. Plus you can in fact get heroes as drops and quest rewards in the game. I know because I've gotten 3 heroes so far and I'm only level 22. You can also buy costumes, which also drop as loot. You can buy bank space, or you can combine your mats and donate your old gear and not need more space. You can buy xp and rarity boosts, or you can just play the damned game.

If you like that game, it's obviously worth spending some money on. If you don't like the game, then WTF are you doing bitching about it?

As an aside, why the hell do I come to this site?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Here's a scenario:

Marvel Heroes: Hi customer! Choose one of the few selected heroes you'd like to play with for free.

Customer: Sure, I want to play as Deadpool.

Marvel Heroes: Sorry but you're going to have to choose another hero or pay XX.XX dollars for that one.

Customer: Cyclops?

Marvel Heroes: Sorry not enough points.

Customer: Captain America?

Marvel Heroes:  Sorry not enough points.

Customer: Thor?

Marvel Heroes: Sorry not enough points.

Customer: Iron man?

Marvel Heroes: Still not enough points...

Customer: Uhmm, okay... How about Wolverine?

Marvel Heroes:  Oooooh sorry! But it looks like you don't have enough point to purchase this heroe. Would you like to purchase some points?

Customer: I guess I'll have to in order to play my favorite hero(s). How much is Deadpool?

Marvel Heroes: 2000 points.

Customer: So, how much is that?

Marvel Heroes: $20.00

Customer: sounds fair.... Here you go.

Marvel Heroes: Thank you. *unlocks Deadpool*

Customer: Okay so I've unlocked and played Deadpool but I don't feel like playing him anymore. Can I play another hero?

Marvel Heroes:  Sure, who would you like to purchase?

Customer: I want to play Iron Man.

Marvel Heroes: Alrighty then, that'll be $20.00.

Customer: I think I'll pass. How much is the Hulk?

Marvel Heroes: No problem, the Hulk is $12.00.

Customer: Why are all the heroes so expensive?

Marvel Heroes: This game's not a charity we must make our money somehow.

Customer: I'd rather just buy Marvel Super Alliance 1 or 2 and get all those heroes for $25.00.

Marvel Heroes: Alrighty, have a nice day!

Do you know why the guy with the end is near sign screaming at anyone that walks by can't get anyone to listen to what he's saying ?

Because he's F'ing crazy. Even if he's right.....no one wants to listen to a crazy person. Something to think about while typing up your rants.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

For some, it seems the notion of developers wanting to make any money on Free-to-Play games is a ludicrous idea. In this week's column, we discuss the fact that F2P games, while free, aren't a actually a charity.

The point in all this is that it takes money to actually create and support these games, especially for a smaller studio like Gazillion. None of this sort of complaining is unique to Marvel Heroes, of course, but it just continues to grind my gears that there are some players that don’t seem to understand that while these games are free – they are still a product and a business. Yes, they want to make money off of you. This isn’t a secret, nor is it insidious.

Read more of Michael Bitton's F2P Isn't a Charity.

This article proves that the straw man argument is still alive and well lol. 

Gamer's aren't asking for charity, what we are asking for and expecting is reasonable business models and pricing for what is offered. Marvel Heroes does not offer this. To try and counter that complaint by the numerous amount of people making it you try and come back with "Well this isn't a charity..." lol. 

As you pointed out, Marvel Heroes is a Diablo like game that generally sales for $20-$60 depending on the budget and quality. Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, etc. Yet it is asking for an asinine amount for the "Full Game". Sure you "Can" get many of the characters as drops in game but like other cash grab games it makes things with that "Push them to the store as much as possible" mentality. 

I'm sorry, but Bitton has apparently lost touch with gamers. 

Free to play in this case means "Cost more than a better quality game in the same genre" and no matter how you want to spin it that simply doesn't fly with gamers. You can say I'm wrong but... you're obviously here writting articles about it because more than just myself feels this way. 

I can buy Torchlight 1&2, Diablo 1,2,&3 and it would cost me less than it would to buy half of the characters in Marvel Heroes. When you can come back with a logical explanation to why this is true and why I shouldn't mind that this is true then you may have something worth saying, but this asinine straw man argument thrown up to defend a cash grab that offers less while charging a great deal more than similar games was a waste of space imho.