Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need some help (configuration)

niteWhislerniteWhisler Member Posts: 42

1st sorry about my english, its not my 1st language.

this is my current configuration:

Operating System:  MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635

RAM: 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785TD-V EVO (AM3)

Graphics: VW225 @ 1680x1050 - ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

HDD: 625GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 (SATA)

now i need configuration which will allow me to play mmo's such as TERA, Aion, Rift, etc, etc on HIGH DETAILS

atm im playing TERA and it sucks big time with this config i am currently using

1xxx X 7xxx res, lowest possible details and im still lagging as hell

i was wonder can i do anything with current config like buying new windows(some1 suggested me win7 x64?), more RAMS, etc). something that would allow me to play such games on highest details and without lagg, camera freezing etc

about money. money is not a problem. but i wouldnt want to pay for something i wont need/ use.

im totally an idiot when it comes to hardware so i would like to ask someone with a bit more experience to help me out.

in case my current rig is too much of a out-of-date, im ready to buy new config

short tips on what should i look for would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

I'm no expert at all, but dude, you need new RAM. I'm almost certain of that XD

Although, still a sliver of doubt. Hopefully someone a lot more knowledgeable can give you proper advice.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It's time for a completely new computer.

More RAM will help, but that computer was "entry level" in 2009.

Now, your motherboard isn't AM3+, just AM3, so you'd basically need to replace every component in your computer to get a meaningful upgrade.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    It's time for a completely new computer.

More RAM will help, but that computer was "entry level" in 2009.

Now, your motherboard isn't AM3+, just AM3, so you'd basically need to replace every component in your computer to get a meaningful upgrade.

If cost is an issue, you could skip the HDD and GPU upgrade to focus on the Mobo, CPU and RAM. You could even hold off on upgrading XP, but you'll actually get a noticeable speed bump by using Windows 7 and 8GB of ram.

If money is not an issue, and you don't want to bother with upgrading all the bits yourself, consider a prebuilt gaming rig.

At a minimum, upgrade the MOBO, CPU and RAM though. Don't just buy more ram and upgrade XP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You have a 32 bit OS. So the only thing i MIGHT do would be to add another 2g stick to it. That will help some and be fairly cheap.

I would only do this if you dont plan on building a new PC anytime soon and just want to get the best out of the one you have.

If you plan on buying a new rig ( or building ) just post how much money you have to spend and where you live. As that will determine the parts people recommend or a place to purchase a prebuilt.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    You may or may not see huge performance improvements just from adding more memory.  But if you've got the budget for a new system, then that's definitely the way to go.  There's nothing wrong with saying that a 3-4 year old computer had a good life and now it's time to move on.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by niteWhisler

now i need configuration which will allow me to play mmo's such as TERA, Aion, Rift, etc, etc on HIGH DETAILS

i was wonder can i do anything with current config like buying new windows(some1 suggested me win7 x64?), more RAMS, etc). something that would allow me to play such games on highest details and without lagg, camera freezing etc

about money. money is not a problem. but i wouldnt want to pay for something i wont need/ use.

im totally an idiot when it comes to hardware so i would like to ask someone with a bit more experience to help me out.

First PLEASE change your OS xp 32bit IN 2013 COMMONyou gotte be kidding me?

64bit and then get some more RAM this will do wonders if you upgrade at least those 2.

Get newer videocard thats more up to date with todays games at least 2gig memory on the card.

Better motherboard and make sure you have a good PSU also.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

64bit and then get some more RAM this will do wonders if you upgrade at least those 2.

Get newer videocard thats more up to date with todays games at least 2gig memory on the card.

32bit OS is fine for that system.  Putting more than 4 gigs of ram paired with that mobo/cpu would do you no justice.

The Cheap option would be to upgrade to 4 gigs of ram (dont just add a 2 gig stick, upgrade it to DDR3 1066).  Just make sure your Mobo can recognize 1066, its cheap  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231149&IsVirtualParent=1

Also upgrade your vid card.  A 7750 may be a bit overkill for the CPU, but will help tremendously http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403

Other than those two options for $125, you will nee dot do a full system rebuild.  If you upgrade you should be able to run medium settings fairly smoothly and even run some newer titles.  

cheers

Update, your mobo can support up to DDR3 1800 so you are ok there.  I would suggest getting 1600 or 1333 as the higher ram usually requires only X brand to run (asus is notorious for this)   http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TDM_EVO/

ALso there are still AM3 CPU's available > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

With that CPU you can probably pull off a 7870 vid car as well 

SO the CPU upgrade, better 4 gigs of ram and a 7870/7850 should put you in the high details range.  

• niteWhislerniteWhisler Member Posts: 42

i might do both actually. upgrade this current rig and build a new one.

in my family we are ALL gamers so im pretty sure another gaming table wont be a waste.

so to make sure i got this

if ill be upgrading my current rig ill need:

mobo: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TDM_EVO/

CPU:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

grap card : 7870

RAM: 4gigs (best 4x 1gb ?)

OP: ?

about building a new config

im from Croatia and like i said before money is not an issue but i wouldnt wont to waste money on something i wont need/ use

now i remember reading about AMD ASUS, nvidia, radeon or whatever being the best or better when it comes to games

all that doesnt mean much to me >.<

so if im building a new config exclusively for playing the games like mmos, what should i look for?

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Im thinking you have two 1 gig sticks of 1333 mhz DDR3, the 669 I believe is half the total rate. For a low dollar upgrade that will yeild some inprovement in some games, get 4 gigs ( 2 - 2 gig strips) of 1333mz DDR3 and a 64 bit Operating system. If you have 4 slots available for RAM and you currently have two sticks installed then you could add 2 - 1 gig strips of the same.

I did the exact same RAM and Operating system upgrade a few years ago, and did get some marginal improvement. However while it did make battlefield bad company 2 playable,( I also had an Overclocked CPU), Battlefield 3 was still too choppy to play and enjoy.

Planetside two was barely playable. So I guess what Im saying is this option will yield no miracles. Amd yes, utilizing all of the 4 gigs did make a difference, actually it made a big difference as I tried the 32 bit OS with the 4 gigs first , before the trying the 64 bit OS.

Going to a 7770 or better card will help some as well, but at the end of the day, by time you do all of this, your still just increasing your performance by small increments.

I didn't have a choice, so I did what I could and none of it was a backward step. If you have the money to go with a new system, do so,  in the long run, you will be very glad you did.

PS> looking at your last post you'll want to use 2 strips of RAM if you can as opposed to 4. 4 will work but 2 is better. You also want Windows 7 64bit Operating system.

If you did not already, look at your power supply , read the lable on the side of it, inside your computer case, Post the name , model number, and total wattage. Just posting the wattage does little good. It would be a shame to get a new card etc etc and have a junk power supply that ruins everything.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

i might do both actually. upgrade this current rig and build a new one.

in my family we are ALL gamers so im pretty sure another gaming table wont be a waste.

so to make sure i got this

if ill be upgrading my current rig ill need:

mobo: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TDM_EVO/

CPU:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

grap card : 7870

RAM: 4gigs (best 4x 1gb ?)

OP: ?

about building a new config

im from Croatia and like i said before money is not an issue but i wouldnt wont to waste money on something i wont need/ use

now i remember reading about AMD ASUS, nvidia, radeon or whatever being the best or better when it comes to games

all that doesnt mean much to me >.<

so if im building a new config exclusively for playing the games like mmos, what should i look for?

The nifty thing is that Phenom CPU is actually an AM3 and can be utilized on your current motherboard.  If you upgrade teh Motherboard/cpu, might as well build from scratch.  

You can do 2 gig  x 2 or 4 gig x 1.  2 gig x 2 may save a miniscule amount of heat.  

To build a new rig you need to 1. Research.  2. Price 3. Research some more

I just build a box on the mid/mid high end.  Runs everything just fine at 1080x

Intel i5 3570k (so when i need to OC i can).  No need to get an I7 unless you are going to do vid editing/encoding 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Get a good motherboard, just look for combo deals.  I would recommend ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte (make sure the socket fits your cpu) 

Bundle Deal:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Vid Card:  i used a Saphire 7870, though i kinda wish i got a 7950 instead.. 

ATI 7850 or better / Nvidia 660ti or better i would recommend. 

8 gigs + of good DDR3 Ram (See bundle)

600watt + Power supply ( i always prefer corsair)

A 250 gig SSD with a good mechanical hard drive 

a good Aluminum case (NO PLASTIC!)  full steel is ok as well, but Plastic parts are a no no in my opinion.. Plastic = insulator

here is the case i use, I love it   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112331

Tomshardware.com has good builds to for your research.  Just look at the system builder marathon articles.  

cheers and happy building

i had to go out of country/ business matters

anyway in the meantime my bro got rid of old comp and now i need to find us something new

this is something two of us put together:

it would cost me around 900USD

so what you guys think? will this be enough to play on high details(no lagg, freezing, etc) (16xx X 1xxx res)?

oh i would just like to add that at my place, comp is turned on 24/7, literally. so idk maybe another cooler thingy or something?

looks good.  i would spend a bit more and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161411

7870 vs teh 7850, or at least get the 2 gig version of the 7850

if you go with 8 gigs of ram get (2x4 gigs) for dual channel or 2x8 gigs 

cheers

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Tibbz
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

32bit OS is fine for that system.  Putting more than 4 gigs of ram paired with that mobo/cpu would do you no justice.

The Cheap option would be to upgrade to 4 gigs of ram (dont just add a 2 gig stick, upgrade it to DDR3 1066).  Just make sure your Mobo can recognize 1066, its cheap  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231149&IsVirtualParent=1

Also upgrade your vid card.  A 7750 may be a bit overkill for the CPU, but will help tremendously http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403

Other than those two options for $125, you will nee dot do a full system rebuild.  If you upgrade you should be able to run medium settings fairly smoothly and even run some newer titles.  

cheers

If he stays on 32bit he will have and keep a CRAPPY PERFORMANCE nomatter what other parts he put in or how much ram TERA dont run good on  maybe max 2.5 gig of ram rest of ram needed for OS.

Max ram you get on 32bit if your lucky is around 3.5gig its simple as that but in theory you wont get that at all.

A 12year old XP that also won't get any support any more in 2014 needs to be replace its must upgrade.

yay the new rig has arrived and right now im happy like a little baby ^^

i had some problems configuring internet properties/ security settings but now everything is ok, graphics r awesome, no lagg, no freezing, 50-60fps in major cities

its just perfect :D

Thanks guys for all your help ^^

yay the new rig has arrived and right now im happy like a little baby ^^

i had some problems configuring internet properties/ security settings but now everything is ok, graphics r awesome, no lagg, no freezing, 50-60fps in major cities

its just perfect :D

Thanks guys for all your help ^^

Congratz on the new rig!