Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: Sony Announces MMOs Headed to PS4

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to IGN-EU, Sony Online Entertainment will be taking DC Universe Online, PlanetSide 2 and EverQuest Next to the PlayStation 4. The information was leaked prior to next week's E3 convention in Los Angeles.

Seeing as how we don't know when the PS4 will be released, SOE kept the release dates for DCUO and Planetside 2 loose and simply said the PS4 versions will be available as free-to-play digital downloads this year.

If you already thought that Planetside 2 was headed to the PS4, it's probably because you caught Up at Noon six months ago when a developer pretty much confirmed the team was working on a next-gen version.

Read more at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Unsure about my feelings on this. Have been out of the console market since PS2, but if EQ:Next is on PS4....and is cross platform with PC, I might consider getting the PS4 instead of a new PC rebuild.

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Considering Diablo 3 and Final Fantasy 14 will be on Ps4 and maybe Xbox One then this sounds like an awesome idea. Don't wanna pay too much for a pc or not 100% sure what to buy or if your budget is good. Get a console to play Mmos. With cross play this is genius. 
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

If they offer native mouse and keyboard-support for these games on the PS4 like UT3 or Dust514 on the PS3... why not?

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Going to be different for sure.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    This makes me very sad... makes me think the UI will be dumbed down to make console gamers happy and also the level of content updates will not keep in step with PC gamers, again lowering the value of the game. I know this is going to turn into a whats better PC or console or if they can make the game good for both. But IMO every time they try it takes to much compromise to make it work. Also, DONT say because it works with a FPS does not mean its best for a full MMO. Thats not the same mechanics.  
  • Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    unless your talking about call of duty or FPS style game i think that when it comes to cross platform the keyboard will always dominate the controller, But that being said theres nothing to stop playstation users from just plugging in a keyboard and mouse.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    DCUO, check
    PS2, check
    EQN....

I missed where that was mentioned. There was another story about a leaked list but not in the link above.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Aelious
    DCUO, check
    PS2, check
    EQN....

I missed where that was mentioned. There was another story about a leaked list but not in the link above.

This

Where does it say in that story that EQN is coming to PS4?

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347
    OP states EQNext will be. Was leaked prior to E3.

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Nothing states that EQNext will be at E3. Also it was not announced on that link that MMORPG listed.  So I dont know where people are getting EQNext into all this but get your facts straight. Propaganda is Propaganda and nothing more.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Saryhl
    Nothing states that EQNext will be at E3. Also it was not announced on that link that MMORPG listed.  So I dont know where people are getting EQNext into all this but get your facts straight. Propaganda is Propaganda and nothing more.

John Smedley has been teasing about bringing an mmo to the next gen console

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Saryhl

John Smedley has been teasing about bringing an mmo to the next gen console

Teasing, yes! It is even official PS2 and DCUO are MMO's on the next gen console, but until it is announced officially, it is just hearsay about EQNext. The article she links to doesn't even state EQNext at all.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Wow, horrible reporting.  That article says *nothing* about Everquest.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    OMG, please tell me that this doesn't mean EQN will have a crappy PS4 ported interface for the PC version.  I've yet to play a cross platformer that had an interface and control system that I liked.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I feel sorry that PS4 users will have to experience and endure Planetside 2, let us all hang our heads for their future misery.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I'm getting a PS4 so this is good news.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

LOL brilliant prediction by SOE,Square Enix made FFXI on the PS2,so they most certainly should be able to release one on the PS4.

Epic games showed off a pretty darn good looking RPG type map on the IOS system.

I have no doubt what so ever 90% of these devs could make great amazing games,they just won't for reasons of greed/profit or simply don't have the funding to do it.

DC is a really poor game to show effort,nothing but dead buildings in the background,that takes about 5% of the effort that should be given.With poor effort like that you can easily make MMOs on PS2's let alone PS4's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    For future PS4 owners this is probably very good news. I personally know someone who likes mmo's but hates playing games on the PC. He did join me back in PS2 days for Final Fantasy and had fun so when he eventually gets the new console he should be happy with Sony's decision. As for me if they are cross platformed I'll be playing with him on my PC since I don't plan on buying another console.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Predicted that something like this would happen a few years ago.  The new blood of the consoles will help revitalize MMOs for good or bad; the more we struggle, the worse it will likely get.  Though as a whole we'll see different payment models and likely more B2P games since console fans are more used to that and micro transactions.

I'm half expecting The Elder Scrolls Online to go this route, as well as an Announcement that FFXIV will as well (the PS4 version).  Perhaps Guild Wars 2 as well, since there was hinting that they were doing research on the idea.

One thing is for sure in that we've reached the point of games that just try to milk the current generation of MMO gamers (more so than what is naturally expected in businesses).  Games that should've been single player / lan being released as F2P MMO just to have a reason to charge five to ten times the price for the good stuff (looking at you Marvel Heroes and maybe Neverwinter).  If we get any more games that intend to exploit, people will be even more wary of MMOs on the computers; some people complain needlessly and want everything for free, but there are cases where things are just bad.  Almost E.T. bad in that our trust in games coming out have diminished to the point of wanting to wait months to see how it plays out, and it keeps on lowering each time a needless cash grab is introduced with a popular franchise attached.

Though I guess this harkens to what I've said in the past as well, in that online games and MMO games are starting to merge into one category.  While the Online games were buy, then play online with your friends... they're starting to want to get into the whole milking scene that people excuse simply because it has the "MMO" tag.

Without going to the consoles to revitalize things, a MMO market crash (similar to the games crash decades ago in that people just didn't trust games, which brought about the seal of quality by console manufacturers) was a likely scenario what with how things are becoming over time.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well DCUO is a natural choice as it is made for console to begin with and PS2 does not take very much work to turn in to a console game.

So it is fair to guess that the new EQ game is build for console from the ground up.

Anyway this is good news for me as it implies that they have a solid development plan for DCUO going in to the future.

This have been a good conversation

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

PS2 - Crap

DCUO - Crap

EQ Next - To Be Determined...

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    With the new gen consoles coming out, Most MMOs would be smart to try and release it for console, it would only widen the player base. And all mmos should have 1 sever :) but just wishful thinking.