Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 and WOW - whats the story

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

I often hear how EQ2 was robbed a little by WOW but ive never understood how.

Did WOW copy EQ2 and in which case what made WOW the superior game over EQ2.

Im just downloading EQ2 as ive just never played it and was curious on this.

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

EQ2 was the mmo to play before WOW arrived.
    It had all (modern) features you would excpect from a good to play mmo.
    Blizzard wanted to create a mmo and started an ambitious project.

EQ2 was the most succesfull mmo at that time, so they designed their mmo with a passion hoping to reach 500k subs :) yes that was their expectation at the time :)
    Tigole a desinger in EQ and a hardcore raider jumped over to Blizzard and would become a serious player in creating hardcore raiding contend for WoW.

Tigole did fantastic things in WoW ^^
    Then they all moved to Titan when TBC was released, Tigole and the most expirienced developers left WoW and from there we all know the story :P

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    eq2 is a bit harder than wow
  • DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    thanks guys

• motherofserpentsmotherofserpents Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by tarodin

you cant be serious... harder to keep your head from hitting the keyboard in sleep maybe.

EQ2 beats wow in only grind. WoW heroic raid content craps all over EQ2. ugh EQ2 is horrible from every aspect of gaming I enjoy... from RP standpoint, from gameplay, from grouping, from raiding, pvp... and graphically.. omfg SOE needs to demote the art team from EQ2 to janitors if they havent already.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by motherofserpents

you cant be serious... harder to keep your head from hitting the keyboard in sleep maybe.

EQ2 beats wow in only grind. WoW heroic raid content craps all over EQ2. ugh EQ2 is horrible from every aspect of gaming I enjoy... from RP standpoint, from gameplay, from grouping, from raiding, pvp... and graphically.. omfg SOE needs to demote the art team from EQ2 to janitors if they havent already.

That's strange. For me it was just the other was round. EQ2 >> WoW. Different preferences I guess.

And yes, EQ2 was much harder than WoW, at least in the beginning. It got dumbed down a lot of course to fit the needs of the WoW crowd unfortunately.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by motherofserpents

EQ2 beats wow in only grind.

Crafting and housing say hi.

For me, i can't even look at WoW so aesthetics are subjective.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

EQ2 came out like 3 months before WoW (I think). 

I remember starting EQ2 from lineage 2 and thinking "meh". 

When WoW came out I couldn't believe the polish of the gameplay. I stopped playing any other mmo/game for about 2 years at that point. 

I never returned to EQ2 but I just remember how much better WoW played at the release date. 

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Both had bad starts like any mmo but wow did more things right :

WoW was seamless, EQ2 had zoning with bells that you ring to change zones. With each expantion the map system became more and more confusing to a new player....Like a bad jig saw puzzle.

Speaking of expantions- WoW went a long time with vanilla where EQ2 was pumping them out at high cost like crazy.

EQ2 had real bad coding that is bad on many computers, even to this day.

EQ2 looks plastic, with floating rocks and straight shore lines. Maps and mini maps sucked real bad. Even doing research on the net gave the same crap maps as in game.

EQ2 had a creepy world. WoW had a fun world...Hard to explain but most would understand if you think about it !

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    EQ2 was the better game for players already playing mmo's while wow did the best possible job for getting new players into the genre.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by ghorgos
    EQ2 was the better game for players already playing mmo's while wow did the best possible job for getting new players into the genre.

qft

I have played both games for years.  They are  both solid games.  Its funny  if you talk to wow players they hate eq2's graphics and Eq2 players hate wow's graphics.  Over the years i have come to appreciate the fact that they are both really great games. 

To all the haters on both sides posting - open your minds - you guys cant see the forest for the trees.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Mothanos

EQ2 was the most succesfull mmo at that time, so they designed their mmo with a passion hoping to reach 500k subs :) yes that was their expectation at the time :)
    Tigole a desinger in EQ and a hardcore raider jumped over to Blizzard and would become a serious player in creating hardcore raiding contend for WoW.

Then they all moved to Titan when TBC was released, Tigole and the most expirienced developers left WoW and from there we all know the story :P

You know these games were released 19 days apart, right?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

You know these games came out 19 days apart, right?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

To people saying EQ2 beats WoW raiding....you havent tried Molten Core / BWL / AQ / Naxrammas pre nerfed.
    Some encounters where only doable by 1 percenters.
    And i know i changed from the top ranked 3trd guild to the number 1 guild and the diffrence was H U G E in terms of teamplay.
    You would say from 3trd to 1st is a small increase, but it made all the diffrence.

40 people knowing exactly what to do at the right time.
    But make no mistake even in the top 1% we had wipe nights where you could pull your eyeballs out.
    Since then i have never ever played an mmo that came even close to that contend.

No idea how hard heroic modes in MoP are atm, i quited during Cataclysm, but Ragnaros was quite extreme on heroic mode.

EQ2 while some encounters where hard i can safely say from both sides of the fance that WoW realy pushed it to a new level.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

It may look better, smell better, player better, and be more accessible to people; but a polished turd is still a turd.  

WoW hasn't really had any real innovation of their own.  Bliz took what worked, cleaned it up and improved on it.

Don't get me wrong, I was a WoW-hater for a LONG time.  I played EQ, then DAOC, then EQ2.  EQ2 IMO was the superior game when WoW was first released.  The character customization/advancement was far more enjoyable (and to be honest, still is to this day...even with the dumbing down).  EQ2 was easier than EQ, but still harder than WoW.

What WoW had going for it was the simple gameplay, the IP is mostly well loved, and the accessibility was a lot better than EQ.

EQ2 honestly, should have gone a different route.  They tried to litterally make EQ.  People were like "hey look, I've played this"...then WoW came out.

That's the story, as I see it.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF
    EQ2 came out like 3 months before WoW (I think). 

It was 2 weeks.

EQ2 and WoW were set to launch on the same day but WoW pushed back their release by a week and EQ2 moved up their release by a week.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

EQ2 came out three weeks before WoW, and most people chose to wait for WoW considering how close their launch dates were. 

EQ2 simply didn't have anywhere near the hype level that WoW had so it got steamrolled when it attempted to launch the same month as WoW.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    WoW is an extension of a widely popular PC game released in '94. I would be very suprised if less than 75% of MMO players in '04 didn't have a copy of Warcraft. That's why happened to WoW.

EQ2 had its own problems outside competition with WoW like tech issues and features talked about in interviews that never made it to the game. The programming architecture was based upon CPUs getting bigger, not going multi-core. This paired with the fact that they used polygons more than bitmaps meant a less than smooth gameplay, something WoW is widely known for. The irony is there is far more tech and features in EQ2 than WoW but because for most graphics are either worse or more laggy this doesn't matter much.

IMO if you were to blend the two games together it would be a beautiful thing.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    EQ2 came out 3 weeks before WoW did......EQ2 was released as a pretty hardcore game at first but had the "its not as good as EQ1" going against it.......WoW released in November of the same year and its sales were much stronger than EQ2......After a few months EQ2 revamped its game to be more like WoW with it being a heavy quest oriented game and much more solo friendly than when it launched.....EQ2 gave the impression that it thought WoW was the superior game and changed its core gameplay to try and match what WoW was doing.
  • PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

I played both games at their respective releases.

Here's the story:

EQ2 was simply worse than WoW in the aspects that most people care about. Quest quality, raw content, immersion and combat was worse than WoW.

At EQ2s inception, it didn't have that much content, sadly. You ran out of quests fairly easily and the character development wasn't as fleshed out as WoWs was at release either (back when WoW had meaningful trees).

Not to mention that zones were a lot smaller, although it's hard to beat WoW at the open world aspect (not many have.. Vanguard comes to mind, but.. not quite)

People on this very site trashed WoW like there was no tomorrow and let that be a lesson to you: don't listen to people on this site, including myself, just use it to get information about release dates, etc.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by DonY81

I often hear how EQ2 was robbed a little by WOW but ive never understood how.

Did WOW copy EQ2 and in which case what made WOW the superior game over EQ2.

Im just downloading EQ2 as ive just never played it and was curious on this.

Wow won ,but I only did like eq2.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

People have some of the most bizarre amnesia when it comes to WoW.

WoW did not launch and magically have 10 million players, it was largely populated by EQ1 players (myself included as my entire guild skipped EQ2 entirely and went to WoW).

As for difficulty, I often see people assign the concept of difficulty to how long/tedious it is to go through the leveling process. Yes, WoW was easier to level through, but in terms of dungeon and raid content, WoW has had more difficult content than pretty much every other game ever released.

Even to this day, something like just 3% of the playerbase is capable of doing the hardmode raid content. These are people with sponsers who game non-stop. Sure you have people come out and claim that they did all hardmode raids and yadda yadda. Those players seriously play at a very high level and dedicate a lot of time to doing that content.

The "easymode" monkier comes from the fact that WoW has continued to add newer easier modes (like LFR) where pretty much everyone can play.

It's funny that people's desires change over time, I remember how much unrest there was about the gaming style of EQ and how people hated the way death was handled, the grind, being trained and so on. It's very similar to how people have a general unrest about how tired they are of what WoW does now. Back then WoW was the anti-EQ - it was the underdog and not the behemoth.

Remember, Blizzard was still just this company famous for a couple RTS games and a couple hack'n'slashes and it was a much loved company at that. Neither they, nor gamers knew that WoW was about to explode, but people did know that they were tired of EQ.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Rusque

People have some of the most bizarre amnesia when it comes to WoW.

WoW did not launch and magically have 10 million players, it was largely populated by EQ1 players (myself included as my entire guild skipped EQ2 entirely and went to WoW).

As for difficulty, I often see people assign the concept of difficulty to how long/tedious it is to go through the leveling process. Yes, WoW was easier to level through, but in terms of dungeon and raid content, WoW has had more difficult content than pretty much every other game ever released.

Even to this day, something like just 3% of the playerbase is capable of doing the hardmode raid content. These are people with sponsers who game non-stop. Sure you have people come out and claim that they did all hardmode raids and yadda yadda. Those players seriously play at a very high level and dedicate a lot of time to doing that content.

The "easymode" monkier comes from the fact that WoW has continued to add newer easier modes (like LFR) where pretty much everyone can play.

It's funny that people's desires change over time, I remember how much unrest there was about the gaming style of EQ and how people hated the way death was handled, the grind, being trained and so on. It's very similar to how people have a general unrest about how tired they are of what WoW does now. Back then WoW was the anti-EQ - it was the underdog and not the behemoth.

Remember, Blizzard was still just this company famous for a couple RTS games and a couple hack'n'slashes and it was a much loved company at that. Neither they, nor gamers knew that WoW was about to explode, but people did know that they were tired of EQ.

Hm mate have you ever played any other game than wow? More difficult instances than in any other game? no mate,you are wrong.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Vidir

Hm mate have you ever played any other game than wow? More difficult instances than in any other game? no mate,you are wrong.

Name one instance in EQ2 harder than Onyxia in vanilla.

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89

Wow had a few things going for it. The game was much more stable and polished then EQ2, it was also allot more user friendly.   Wows world is seemless and huge EQ2 you have to load zone after zone after zone. WoW also had PvP  at launch and only built on that from there and continued building a pvp system with its own set of rewards and progression.  And yes the end game content was very challenging, it didn't get easy until Wrath and that only lasted till they started doing hardmode content which are some of the hardest content in any MMO and to this day hardmode raids are only done by a very very small group of players.

I don't think there is one reason WoW usurped what was supposed to be EQ2s crown. I think it was all the little things it had over EQ2 at the time. And ironically EQ2 overtime has probly been influenced more by WoW then WoW was EQ IE: Dungeon Finder, Battle Grounds, FLying Mounts etc... Dont get me wrong I enjoyed EQ2 ALLOT but WoW was and still is the most polished MMO and has a massive amount of content behind it. Ironically because of the games cartoony style the graphics have actually held up pretty well. 

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Piechunks

People on this very site trashed WoW like there was no tomorrow and let that be a lesson to you: don't listen to people on this site, including myself, just use it to get information about release dates, etc.

that's a good point, I'm not even being sarcastic, I think it is relevant to the current hype machine when games are in beta and they are going to be awesome etc, but we can now watch the youtube vids and make a judgement. Which is your other point : be informed.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone