Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: A Noob In WoW

Comments

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Under community, yo put explorer and addons in a category which makes it souns as if exploration will be helped by addons, which is false, and you catn explore, until you outlevel each zone, but still, nice re-wiev, i like it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by newbinator
    I have issues with WoW, for sure. But the n00b experience in WoW is probably the best of any MMO on the market.

Its dumbed down to the point where a trained chimp could pay it.....While someone who has never played a MMO might love that, an experienced MMOer would probably get bored fairly quick by the lack of challenge.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    ignore the appaling spelling mistakes above pls ;)
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I read your review aloud to my wife and we both giggled and generally enjoyed seeing WOW again through  fresh eye's!

We have played many MMO's over the year's and still WOW occupies the majority of gaming time and enjoyment.

As Subscription games become less common and FTP games thrive The community of WOW gets better & better, this whole year I have seen 1 gold spam in chat in wow, while other games the chat is literally not used because it is filled with gold spam.

As a Rogue our class forums, podacts and other player driven community;s make playing and mastering the class so awesome kind of like player driven add-on's do for the gameplay.

Also WOW's presense on Twitch.tv is formidable allowing you to watch the top players in your class in real time.

All & all WOW is best of breed, a once in a lifetime phenomenon, the likes of which will never be repeated, don't miss it.

• AxewielderxAxewielderx Member Posts: 96

I also just recently started playing WOW. In fact just this last Sunday I rolled my first toon in the game.  I got sick and tired of playing all these"free" games that were not really free. There is always some catch and I simply got tired of trying of finding out the catch. Just a bunch of wasted time with no real progress,no matter what lvl you obtained. If you end up deleting the game, then you wasted your time. 

Pat any rate, I think the game looks pretty good with the graphics settings on ultra and have not experienced and lag issues as I have with other games. The game seems simple and yet has so much stuff under the hood. The only issue I have had with the game thus far is that after I finished Bloodmist I had no quests and had to swim to my next area that was of proper lvl. Perhaps if I would have avoided the dungeons I might not have lvled too fast and found I out leveled a nearer area. At any rate, it seemed my storyline got all messed up.  But in the end the game is undeniably fun and I am enjoying playing.

if you get tired of dealing with supposedly free games, drop me a Pm. I got guest passes , can refer people and do the scroll thing too. TC and great write up of the game! 

If we fail to change the things of today, they will become the lucid nighmares of tommorrow.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Oh man, I wish I was in your shoes Suzie. To play WoW with open eyes again would be such a treat. I'll tell you, if you think you've experienced great quests by level 40, you have no idea how good it's about to get.

At 60 (though I believe you can enter at 50) you will enter the  Burning Crusade era where you will experience Outland. So good. It's not quite the same for me considering how many times I've played through it, but for a first timer, it really is fantastic.

And while a lot of people liked BC as their favorite expansion, that's more because it had a brilliant end game and the Arena was new. Once you get into WotLK you really get into some epic quests and opening areas. You think you understand why WoW is beloved by so many now? Just wait, you'll need to change your pants.

Hyldnir quests leading up to and including the Drakkensryd is one of the most epic quest lines in any game I have ever played. In imo surpasses the entire story found in some first player titles. And it is epic. This one single quest chain takes like 6 hours (maybe more) if I remember. That really is about as long as some single player titles.

You also get to experience Wyrmrest temple quest for the first time and Ice Crown . . . so . . . good. Damn I'm jealous. My memories of all this still remind me of why I can never hate WoW no matter how tired I am of it now. It gave me so much, and really only highlights how little the "clones" even attempt to do in comparison.

I wish I could say that it continues to be as great after WotLK, but Cata and Pandaria are not quite as good, but for a first timer, you'll have a grand time.

Enjoy, you're getting quite the gaming experience.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by wowclones
    You shouldn't even be allowed to review WOW. This is an insult to the mmo industry, no one wants a review 8 years later. You played Neverwinter before WOW, sad. No excuse as there is a free trial. I can imagine you are a stubborn person in real life. Stop calling yourself an mmo player, because you are not. I love Chinese food, but I never had an eggroll in my life is what you are basically saying. Yes you are wannabe Chinese food lover.

You played WoW before you played The Realm Online, sad.  You are a wanna-be MMO player.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by Axewielderx

I also just recently started playing WOW. In fact just this last Sunday I rolled my first toon in the game.  I got sick and tired of playing all these"free" games that were not really free. There is always some catch and I simply got tired of trying of finding out the catch. Just a bunch of wasted time with no real progress,no matter what lvl you obtained. If you end up deleting the game, then you wasted your time. 

You are setting yourself up to be a little lab rat who pulls a lever for a chance to get sugarwater with an attitude like this...

Wasted time?  If the game isn't fun, don't play it.  It's really not that hard of a concept.  Play games to have fun!

If you play games for the reward schedule that they provide you, you are basically becoming a druggie and yes it is all then "wasted time."

Sorry to come across as so harsh but I find your attitude bizarre.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

My wife and I just started playing WoW this past week after been away the week BC came out. Here is what I have found....

1. My server is mostly dead and past level 20 there is no one to play with,

2. My raid and PvP gear are all garbage and doing PvP is pointless till I spend a few months gearing up.

3. Because the population is so low the few people selling stuff are selling at prices I have never seen in the game and because my server is low population its hard to sell items on the AH to get the gold I need. 

4. The gear treadmill looks allot worse when you are 2 years out of date. 

Will play till EQN or ESO comes out but with the above stuff I wont be sticking around WoW long.

• Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76

I played wow during the vanilla, then tried it a couple more times with some friends when expansions came out. Honestly though Wow is just the same old boring shit anymore... 

I would actually say most 90% of the industry is also the same old boring shit. Which is why most of your games last only 1 or 2 years, cause they just mimic the mechanics of other successful games, and then add a few new features.

Most of those that try something completely new in mechanics or play style are usually underfunded indie titles that people don't play cause they aren't polished enough, or they struggle with basic things like UI, AI, or lag/ping/latency.

Pretty much any mmo I have seen in the past 10 years I look at say, well most of this has been done before, and I could forgive that if the game was themed towards my liking. Say very realistic survival, which I know would be super boring to most so I don't hold my breath for it. But hell even the themes are mainly the same. Knights, Military, Dragons, Fairies, Robots, and Korea. just saying.

I think this pretty much illustrates our creativity as a whole in society, we have been molded into a hive mind and 90% of the creative industry is recreating the same old recycled shit. That and those with the financial capability to support such massive endeavors want to recreate their D&D days of glory. 

Sorry to be bitter, just an honest expression of how I feel, and I am sure many people also feel the same way in regards to this.

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    great mmo one of the best...still want to play after 7 years pretty crazy really!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Enjoyed the read.  I agree that mmo devs should take a play out of the more then one starter zone book.  Because WoW took it out of the Everquest playbook.  Along with almost everything else besides the ! over quest givers heads.

EQ2 kinda screwed up their own multi starter point concept with just two cities at launch.  Here's hoping that EQNext will harken back to the glory days!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

My wife and I just started playing WoW this past week after been away the week BC came out. Here is what I have found....

2. My raid and PvP gear are all garbage and doing PvP is pointless till I spend a few months gearing up.

3. Because the population is so low the few people selling stuff are selling at prices I have never seen in the game and because my server is low population its hard to sell items on the AH to get the gold I need. 

Will play till EQN or ESO comes out but with the above stuff I wont be sticking around WoW long. 

Everything you mention is meaningless because, after several expansions, you are now leveling from your max lvl 60 to the new max of lvl 90. There is no need to buy much of anything off the AH and when you reach that point where it may be worthwhile, you will find that money is not hard to come by and you will have plenty to buy what you need.

Also, there are now cross realm zones, so you should see plenty of people around.

PvP is pointless at mid level, such as you are, and other than twinks, it's better left for end game or something to do on the side to take a break from questing.

• DarthIxidorDarthIxidor Member Posts: 16
    I do not think it is a crime that you have avoided WoW. I have fought the urge to play WoW myself for a little while. I enjoyed FFXI, and AO. I came into WoW at the end of Vanilla a few months before BC dropped. It was a great experience and one that I judged every other MMO on even though the game that I once loved is no longer the same. It is still enjoyable and engaging which is why it still thrives, in my opinion.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

I played WoW for 2 years, though it is a fun game it is NOT as the NOOB who wrote this article implied "the greatest thing since sliced bread" 

WoW's gameplay is outdated, it might have numbers but in my opinion City of Heroes was a MUCH better gaming experience, its sad a great game got shut down while a mediocre one stays on top.

IF 90% of WoW players were not already time-invested they would give other games a chance and see that WoW has outdated graphics and gameplay and there are better experiences out there.

Mystery Bounty

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Everything you mention is meaningless because, after several expansions, you are now leveling from your max lvl 60 to the new max of lvl 90. There is no need to buy much of anything off the AH and when you reach that point where it may be worthwhile, you will find that money is not hard to come by and you will have plenty to buy what you need.

Also, there are now cross realm zones, so you should see plenty of people around.

PvP is pointless at mid level, such as you are, and other than twinks, it's better left for end game or something to do on the side to take a break from questing.

Try level 80 going to level 90 =-P level 60 was game release lol and not pointless. AH are killer now. Want to buy a stack of copper and its 30gp on my server. Buy things I need to craft at my level and its 50-100 gold per item and putting items on the AH to make gold is really hard as not many people are playing my server. Call it pointless but it has lost some luster coming back.

P.S, Also you are right my top end purples gemed up and enchanted and being replaced by green quest items. Knowing the gear treadmill ahead of my is also not so fun. So your point on that is pointless from where my wife and I stand.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

[quote] Not only is the in-game story well-thought out [/quote]

Yeah, thats where i stopped reading.  I was already suspicious this was going to be a shill article, and there is good evidence of that.  But to suggest that the in game story is well thought out is a freaking joke.  Blizzard constantly has made story elements that directly contradicted something they did in the past and then had to go back and make a hack job of trying to make it consistent.  Lets not even get to the fact that they completely ripped off warhammer lore.  But, whatever, let the fools play their game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

I liked pre expansion WoW. Lost interest with each expansion. Quit shortly after Cata and laughed out loud at Kung Fu Panda.

Wow was cool when it came out, I played Warcraft 1 and 2 on dial-up with friends. When it came out, I was burned out on EQ1 and played but didn't like EQ2. Leveling up and exploring in Azeroth Was awesome!! However somewhere down the road, I think it lost what it was created to be in it's own quest to get as many players as possible.

The things I enjoyed most in Wow went away. Some of my best memories of the game were the quest to get the High level mount, which at some point, they started just giving to you. I liked when each individual animal that hunters tamed had different stats. They made it to... I don't know, dumbed down in order to get more subs and I think lost what made Wow special.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by pmiles

Let's see if you joined under recruit a friend, you hit level 40 in probably less than a day.  It's not until you hit max level and realize that all the worlds you passed through (extremely rapidly I might add) are now irrelevant and what you have before you is a rather small patch of land of repetitive dailies and repeatable raids left.  The sad part is, and it is really sad, is that you, the noob, missed out on 8 years worth of content because you've leveled through it in warp speed.  No epic opening of the Gates of Ahn Quiri, no attunement chains to gain you access to Kharazan, Molten Core, Upper Black Rock Spire, etc.  No class quests for you first mount or special abilities.  No sense of becoming awe and powerful as you level because you are undefeatable upon creation.  Noobs fall in love with a game that isn't actually a game anymore... they fall in love with a reflection of what was... and a very shallow reflection at that.

I actually didn't join under Recruit a Friend. I've earned my 40 the hard way through questing and PvP. I bought the full game and a game time card for the next 90 days. ;) I am not, as you suggest, warping through it at all. I've done every quest in every location through which I've passed and intend to keep on doing so.

do understand how much it's changed and there are things which I'm sad have been taken out but I only know that in retrospect, through research and in discussions with Shelassa. 

Play the game. Look for what's fun for you. Ignore those who tell you what you find fun in is wrong.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by pmiles

Let's see if you joined under recruit a friend, you hit level 40 in probably less than a day.  It's not until you hit max level and realize that all the worlds you passed through (extremely rapidly I might add) are now irrelevant and what you have before you is a rather small patch of land of repetitive dailies and repeatable raids left.  The sad part is, and it is really sad, is that you, the noob, missed out on 8 years worth of content because you've leveled through it in warp speed.  No epic opening of the Gates of Ahn Quiri, no attunement chains to gain you access to Kharazan, Molten Core, Upper Black Rock Spire, etc.  No class quests for you first mount or special abilities.  No sense of becoming awe and powerful as you level because you are undefeatable upon creation.  Noobs fall in love with a game that isn't actually a game anymore... they fall in love with a reflection of what was... and a very shallow reflection at that.

So true.. Its not even fun playing from the beginning anymore, its tooo easy and everything is so focused on getting to max level and FAST!! where's the fun?

I played WOW most during vanilla, and nothing is compared to that time now, there's no challenge anymore.. the focus has changed from having fun to getting your char to max level and doing dailys

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Amazing article about  one of my favorite game. Exactly what i think. Beside Eve   wow is the only mmo which i truly enjoyed over so many years. I hope to see one day wow with next gen graphic
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Rusque

Oh man, I wish I was in your shoes Suzie. To play WoW with open eyes again would be such a treat. I'll tell you, if you think you've experienced great quests by level 40, you have no idea how good it's about to get.

At 60 (though I believe you can enter at 50) you will enter the  Burning Crusade era where you will experience Outland. So good. It's not quite the same for me considering how many times I've played through it, but for a first timer, it really is fantastic.

And while a lot of people liked BC as their favorite expansion, that's more because it had a brilliant end game and the Arena was new. Once you get into WotLK you really get into some epic quests and opening areas. You think you understand why WoW is beloved by so many now? Just wait, you'll need to change your pants.

Hyldnir quests leading up to and including the Drakkensryd is one of the most epic quest lines in any game I have ever played. In imo surpasses the entire story found in some first player titles. And it is epic. This one single quest chain takes like 6 hours (maybe more) if I remember. That really is about as long as some single player titles.

You also get to experience Wyrmrest temple quest for the first time and Ice Crown . . . so . . . good. Damn I'm jealous. My memories of all this still remind me of why I can never hate WoW no matter how tired I am of it now. It gave me so much, and really only highlights how little the "clones" even attempt to do in comparison.

I wish I could say that it continues to be as great after WotLK, but Cata and Pandaria are not quite as good, but for a first timer, you'll have a grand time.

Enjoy, you're getting quite the gaming experience.

+1, just like you said

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Suzie Ford

Graphics, at least in the early to mid-levels of the game, are very dated. In some ways, it reminded me of the difference between Act I and Act 5 in Diablo 2. Judging by the screens and videos from Mists of Pandaria, the team has taken what they have and made improvements in the graphics at that end of the game. It will be interesting to watch the progression as we move through the game. I wonder, though: Is it worth Blizzard’s time to go back and “spruce up” the oldest areas of the game?

Even with the dated graphics, World of Warcraft is still one of the prettiest games I’ve ever played, both visually and aurally. I actually like the color palette and the ways in which the team put together all of the zones through which I’ve traveled and the music score only enhances the feel of each area.

Relevant information: The entire old world, including the starting zones, did have their graphics revamped with the Cataclysm expansion.  It really was a stark improvement when it happened too.  So everything you see from 1-60 should be on par with 3rd expansion graphics.  Outland, the Burning Crusade's (first expansion) territory, was never updated (to my knowledge).  So that should be the oldest looking area in the game.  Northrend, the 2nd expanansion's (Wrath of the Lich King) territory, looked gorgeous when it released.  Cataclysm, to me, felt like they brought the rest of the world up to the WotlK level.  I can't speak for Mists of Pandaria because I've never played any of it (I only played Cata for a month, and that was the end for me.)

So basically, BC has 2nd gen graphics, WotlK and the entire old world has 3rd-4th gen graphics, and MoP has 4th-5th gen graphics.  

I will say though, if you've been present since the beginning, you can really notice how well they keep WoW's graphics up to date, or at least relevant.  I contrast that to my first MMO, which came out less than a year before WoW: Final Fantasy XI, which has never updated its graphic engine once throughout its entire existence.  Once upon a time, FFXI looked significantly (and subjectively) better than WoW.  Now it's no contest.  WoW looks infinitely better.  It's not even subjective.  I can't imagine anyone would disagree, regardless of which game you're a fan of.  

If you could get into WoW's aesthetic style, you'll find a wealth of beauty and detail.  I was put off by it at first, nearly 8 years ago; but once I actually played the game and gave it a shot, it quickly became the world that immersed me more than any other ever had.  

But now there has been a new onslaught of gorgeous games, such as GW2, Tera, and FF:ARR, that can also be surprisingly light on your system.  WoW once sacrificed graphic brilliance in order to capitalize on accessibility.  New games are proving you can have both.  (I happen to think this is one of the major reasons behind Titan's sudden regress; I think had planned to use a similarly light and accessible engine, but now, in light of new technology demonstrated by other games, are switching to something more advanced.)

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I just started as well and have been taking my time running around everywhere and doing every quest.  probably has taken me 5x longer to hit level 20 so far than the average person.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it's nice to really remember what it was like to logon to WoW for the first time.  Like a lot of others i cant bring myself to play it anymore but it's nice to see that, for a brand-spanking-new person its still fun.

suzie you should have seen it in it's vanilla stage because it was about 5 zillion times better.

you had a LOT more customization and choice making your character and you didnt have the dungeon finder so everyone quested outside in the open world.

regardless, i hope you have fun...

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins