Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Just Won - EQ Next & Planetside 2 Coming To PS4

Comments

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Everquest Online Adventures just called and asked if everyone forgot what happened the last time they attempted a console Everquest MMO on a playstation.

2/11/2003 to 5/29/2012

9 years just called and said it was pretty successful on that front, especially granted the technology that was around at the time of launch. Are you implying that it will be wildly successful and give the company residual income for a good 9+ years again? 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I don't know any console mmo which would be at least mediocre imo. Not a good sign.Controls and gameplay will be limited to console capabilities which suck compared to pc capabilities. Look at the strange inventory/skill controls in Skyrim. On a pure PC game you can do much better. Damn.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Avarix
    Ps2 is very much a pc game, it doesn't play like a console shooter at all. E.g. limited verticallity, loads of corridors and cutscenes, easy aiming, every looser wins mentality. Feel / control wise it has more in common with something like unreal tournament than cod.

PS2 could shoot for the Wii for all I care. FPS are a good fit for console systems and the UI does not require any depth like a MMO. Port something like EQN, WoW, to a console and you need to not only dumb down the UI but you need to also have the game set at a hardware rate thats fair for that console. PCs are way more powerful then a console and that sets up EQN future updates at a lower standard as hardware gets better, EQN cant scale to follow that as it was marketed to the PS4 and its hardware. Some MMOs have made the jump to consoles but I personally have never seen it done in a way that will make console and PC gamers happy. To much compromises to make it work well. IMO, this would be a bad move for EQN.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

It's been confirmed that Planetside 2 and other Sony MMOs will be coming to the PS4 including EverQuest Next which will also be shown at E3 next week:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1952233/sonys_e3_2013_lineup_leaked_with_ps4_ps3_games.html

Imo ps4 is far from beeing a winning concept for any pc game.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by enntense
    Can a PS4 display 100 people who are online elsewhere fighting a raid boss without taking a total shit?  Did they put a 2011 Intel chip at 5GHz, and a Titan video card in that thing?

If MAG could 256 players on the same map why wouldn't a console that has more power be able to do the same.

Anyways, the problem with comments like yours is that you are not thinking. The number one advantage of the console vs PC is  console cames can be highly optimized unlike the pc version that has to run for a wider range of hardware and specs. 2. Not all the computer that play ps2 on the pc have the spec you listed. 3. the ps4 version of ps2 doesn't have to look as great as the PC version. 5. The ps4 version doesn't need as much players as the pc version.

The ps4 version is targeting console gamers. If you are a PC gamer, you have no real reason to bother playing the ps4 version unless you want to.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    What doesn't make sense to me is that EQN is supposed to be a sandbox title. I just don't see the average console player interested in a sandbox MMO. I could understand if it was a themepark but I really don't think the console crowd is the right audience for a sandbox MMO.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by itsTort
    Everquest Online Adventures just called and asked if everyone forgot what happened the last time they attempted a console Everquest MMO on a playstation.

2/11/2003 to 5/29/2012

9 years just called and said it was pretty successful on that front, especially granted the technology that was around at the time of launch. Are you implying that it will be wildly successful and give the company residual income for a good 9+ years again? 

I was about to post the exact same thing, you beat me to it :P 

Also there is FFXI and DCUO

No signature, I don't have a pen

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

2/11/2003 to 5/29/2012

Not to mention DCUO, Dust 514, and Defiance.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Velocinox

Arguing over which console is best is a fool's bet.

No matter who wins,

YOU'RE STILL PLAYING A CONSOLE!

Arguing over where someone chooses to play a game is at best a fool's bet.

Where they choose to spend their money is none of your concern. The most important thing is that they are having fun.

On the petty side, as someone who has built a high end PC, I can honestly say that I am personally game on the console because they have exclusive that I am interested in. Most of the PC exclusive are generally MOBA, RTS and MMO. MOBA and RTS don't interest me for example and MMORPG are nothing more than shittier version of their Single Player counterparts. The only real advantage the pc has is the graphics and a few other illegal stuff, but since we are beginning to reach a point where graphics don't sell games  as they did in the past, it doesn't matter much short term wise.

Originally posted by silvermember
    Can a PS4 display 100 people who are online elsewhere fighting a raid boss without taking a total shit?  Did they put a 2011 Intel chip at 5GHz, and a Titan video card in that thing?

If MAG could 256 players on the same map why wouldn't a console that has more power be able to do the same.

Anyways, the problem with comments like yours is that you are not thinking. The number one advantage of the console vs PC is  console cames can be highly optimized unlike the pc version that has to run for a wider range of hardware and specs. 2. Not all the computer that play ps2 on the pc have the spec you listed. 3. the ps4 version of ps2 doesn't have to look as great as the PC version. 5. The ps4 version doesn't need as much players as the pc version.

The ps4 version is targeting console gamers. If you are a PC gamer, you have no real reason to bother playing the ps4 version unless you want to.

Here is the common tech balance between PC and console. PC gamers end up being shafted on updates because they keep the game scaled to the console tech that came out 4 years ago while the PC tech keeps progressive. 

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by steelwind
    What doesn't make sense to me is that EQN is supposed to be a sandbox title. I just don't see the average console player interested in a sandbox MMO. I could understand if it was a themepark but I really don't think the console crowd is the right audience for a sandbox MMO.

Agree. I think what we think in our heads when we hear them say 'sandbox' and what they're making as 'sandbox' are two totally different things. lol This is like a bait and switch.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nan

What makes you assume eqn has a wow like ui?

It could be a first person game with real aiming for all we know.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Consoles are made to play super mario and sonic, stuff like that.

I would never considder playing any Deep mmorpg on a console.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Here is the common tech balance between PC and console. PC gamers end up being shafted on updates because they keep the game scaled to the console tech that came out 4 years ago while the PC tech keeps progressive. 

So just don't play EQN for 6 years. Problem solved.

Actually pc style shooters aren't a great fit for consoles.

Hence the introduction of console style shooters like cod that have very little verticality, and shoot from cover rather than run and gun mechanics.
  • Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Has there been any word on whether or not Planetside 2 players on the PS4 will be on the same servers as PC players?
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by silvermember

The games company usually make a version that will port cross platform as there is no money to be made in writing games that optimally use the high end PC hardware. As a result console performs well in gaming, and PS4 will compare very well with PC version over next few years. 

Actually pc style shooters aren't a great fit for consoles.

Hence the introduction of console style shooters like cod that have very little verticality, and shoot from cover rather than run and gun mechanics.

Halo is really the first big success translating mouse/keyboard control to console gamepad console in a FPS.

Personally i don't like gun-and-run FPS anyway. The more tactical, the better. It is even better with powers, and stealth elements.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

You cant read a graph, what about the lower standers set before hand? My PC is way up at the top and the game standards are already way lower. No thanks.

I can't see it.

Joypad vs mouse and keyboard, only one winner.

Some guys in my guild have some right setups, like m & kb for on foot, analogue joystick with throttle for flying, sidewinder style sticks for tanks, track balls, all sorts of kit.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

2/11/2003 to 5/29/2012

Not to mention DCUO, Dust 514, and Defiance.

But... but, those are bad games... at least if you expect a successor to EQ with sandbox elements.

You cant read a graph, what about the lower standers set before hand? My PC is way up at the top and the game standards are already way lower. No thanks.

PC OS is much less efficient than a console. So when a console first come out, it does not perform worse than the average PC.

I am not spending thousands of dollars to get the top line gaming PC. My gaming laptop is probably not going to be as good as the PS4 ..and so will be the average PC.

You don't think every PC has the top performance, do you?

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

FF ARR does the same and the PC version doesnt seem to be neglected by it or dumbed down.
    They show it can be done when doing it right.

And Microsoft needs to improve big time, the whole world was laughing at them with the crap they showed.
    Not only that, there are still many vocal fans who even refuse to buy the Xbox if they dont delete the borrow a game from friend for a fee shit.
    Wich is absurd realy.

But thats not the thread for it :P

Yeah nari, halo would be the first console shooter. It doesn't have the every looser wins mentality of cod, but the heavy use of corridors, not much need to look up and down, cutscenes taking control away from your character, limited weapon loadout etc.. that mostly define console shooters are there. Sadly its hitting existing series, first 2 crisis (1 & wh) were definetly pc shooters, crisis two more of a mixed bag, crisis 3 is pure console shooter like cod
    I can't see it.

Joypad vs mouse and keyboard, only one winner.

Some guys in my guild have some right setups, like m & kb for on foot, analogue joystick with throttle for flying, sidewinder style sticks for tanks, track balls, all sorts of kit.

"winner" implies pvp.

jpypad is more comfortable, and in PvE, i can always lower the difficulty setting.

it is sometimes about enjoyment (like laying back on the couch with a small gamepad, as oppose to deal with keyboard & mouse), and not optimize my efficiency of aiming.

heck, i play most SP FPS using a gamepad just because it is more enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.