Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Just Won - EQ Next & Planetside 2 Coming To PS4

Comments

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    Not seeing anything definitive linking EQ Next to a console, but if they do, my anticipation for EQ Next just bottomed out. Last 2 cross platform MMOs I played were not even close to having the ability to wear the Everquest name.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    good i hate playing games with keyboard and mouse.  now im looking forward to EQN even more
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

It's been confirmed that Planetside 2 and other Sony MMOs will be coming to the PS4 including EverQuest Next which will also be shown at E3 next week:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1952233/sonys_e3_2013_lineup_leaked_with_ps4_ps3_games.html

Couldn't agree more PS4 is the gamers choice for console now. Panetside 2 and EQ Next for PS4 will really give it some solid mmo gaming, while M$ and Xbox one will have little or nothing there. M$ have gone in this weird reinvention of the old windows media center box with Xbox One. Crazy thing is it is nowhere near as good as the TV streaming boxes or TiVos already on the market, and won't work properly with many US TV users or anyone outside the US at launch. Worse still Xbox One doesn't have anything that special for gaming, and its gaming hardware specs are inferior to PS4. M$ have dumped a windows 8 on the world everyone. Pass until they see sense and improve the box

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Sciva
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    If EQNext is going to be on PS4, I'm now 99% sure it will be a game I won't want to play. They're going to have to cater to the desires of FPS players. Great. More instant gratification.

Uh, i'm pretty sure they would shoot themselves in the foot if they marketed an online RPG for FPS players (who would be playing an FPS on the PC or 360 instead). Just because somthing can use a controller doesn't create lesser gameplay.

If history has anything to say, usually console games have lesser gameplay than PC games.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Exwin, eqn is using the same engine as ps2, so its entirely plausible.

If they build for pc then port to console I don't have a problem with it. Plus the ps4 is a lot more pc like than older consoles anyway, its basicly a current mid range pc in a smaller box.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Until Sony releases more information then we still only have rumors to go off of. I would wait until E3 and the SOE live event before throwing in the lot that EQnext is being ported to the PS4.

If anything it will be for both PC and PS4 if they decide to go that route, and I assume it will be F2P like Everquest is currently. There is nothing wrong with PC/PS4 cross-platform games, if anything it targets a wider crowd and brings console gamers into PC gaming and vice versa which can help both play styles.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Sounds great!  Why do people have so much hate for the ps4?  o.O  Is there really a reason or is there some kind of pride in being loyal to pc?  I don't get it but w/e bring em on!

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

Just see consoles as false ecconomy, they're subsidised so they look cheap, but then the games cost 33% more than the same game on pc, and pc games get discounted much earlier.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I reckon they will have to run ps2 at 720p on the ps4 and maybe knock the continent limit down from 2000 players too. The specs of the ps4 are lower than the recommended specs on the pc version.

But the PS4 would have a much more efficient OS. Windows is notoriously bad in demanding resources. So it still can come out ahead.

Waky
    Eqn will use a simmilar f2p model as ps2. E.g. you can optionally sub to get xp and other resources faster with a small amount of station cash thrown in per month.
  • Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
    You guys seem to forget EQOA on the PS2, it was well ahead of it's time. I played it for a couple years on and off and I had soo much fun on it. I am imagining it will be like it but build upon it greatly with the new technology and a new formula. Now I just don't know if I should get it on my PC or PS4. Since I have a pretty monster PC with a GTX 690 and since it's console now probably can play it on PC with a controller, which is probably what makes sense for me. But if they do it right, and I believe they can with EQN on PS4/PC.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

MMO's that have attempted to crossover to consoles have left a lot to be desired for PC gamers, particularly in terms of the UI.

This will probably hurt EQ Next more than help it. 

Yeah I dont see this as a good thing either....Everquest adventures (or whatever it was called) was hardly a success on the console...i'm surprised they are even considering it, even though if Smed thinks he can make more money doing it this way he will...This is why I dont have any excitement whatsoever for EQN.

Nari
    Yeah the cut down OS will let their low speed cpu gain a little on much faster pc cpus, and if they optimise the games to make use of all 8 cores they will catch up more. But it will still be behind a i7, high end i5s and high end piledrivers.

I reckon in practice it will perform like a mid range i5 / piledriver. E.g. a current mid range pc.

Now the gpu is equivelent to a 7850. No ammount of OS optimization will help that run much faster. That's a good enough gpu to play all current games on fairly good settings, but it will struggle with an intensive game like ps2 at higher resolutions, on a pc with a 7850 you would have to play ps2 at medium settings and no higher than 1080p. To run ps2 on ultra settings your looking at something like a 7950 or 670gtx, no amount of OS optimisation will suddenly turn a 7850 into a 7950.
    Waky
    Eqn will use a simmilar f2p model as ps2. E.g. you can optionally sub to get xp and other resources faster with a small amount of station cash thrown in per month.

Your basing this off of what? The game has not even been released yet and you already know their pricing model? For all we know it could be P2P but i rather doubt it.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    This news actually has me LESS interested in EQNext, not more. Outside of the hardware limitations that consoles inevitably bring at the end of their life cycle, you also have to design for it differently which I have had nothing but bad experiences with. Also, MMO communities are already bad enough without adding in the console audience. My nephews play CoD on the PlayStation and those gamers could make blood come from my ears, I have no interest in rubbing elbows (So to speak) with them. Outside of helping the game financially, I see nothing positive about this.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by kDeviL
    Sounds great!  Why do people have so much hate for the ps4?  o.O  Is there really a reason or is there some kind of pride in being loyal to pc?  I don't get it but w/e bring em on!

I dont know if its a hate for the consoles themselves or that most players dont want MMOs on a console period.....It severely limits the games and they are often dumbed down greatly as a result.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Sciva
    If EQNext is going to be on PS4, I'm now 99% sure it will be a game I won't want to play. They're going to have to cater to the desires of FPS players. Great. More instant gratification.

Uh, i'm pretty sure they would shoot themselves in the foot if they marketed an online RPG for FPS players (who would be playing an FPS on the PC or 360 instead). Just because somthing can use a controller doesn't create lesser gameplay.

If history has anything to say, usually console games have lesser gameplay than PC games.

Graphics can usually suffer, but if the core gameplay is still there then it's no issue.

Waky I'm basing it off an article I read with smed, where he said eqn and all future Sony mmos will be f2p and that eqn will use simmilar payment model to ps2 (which is good news, ps2 probably has the best f2p model going)

Can't be arsed to link, use googlefu.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Sony seems to be becoming more flexible when it comes to their market place in terms of pricing and content released digitallywith PS4,so a lot of the barriers to MMOs on Sony paltforms shouldn't exist on PS4.Thus I would not be surprised to see third party developers as well as SOE bringing out MMOS for PS4.

If MS doesn't follow suit and keeps it's draconian practices in place it may well give the advantage to Sony.

Wow, didn't know the PS4 had already been released, and had been released for so long that pricing trends and corporate strategies were laid bare....

Avarix
    Ps2 is very much a pc game, it doesn't play like a console shooter at all. E.g. limited verticallity, loads of corridors and cutscenes, easy aiming, every looser wins mentality. Feel / control wise it has more in common with something like unreal tournament than cod.
  • NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    While I will not attempt to play an mmorpg on a console as long as a PC version is available, I think that the fact that Playstation 4 will have two f2p AAA mmorpg titles will help them move extra units. If they are available at launch, even better for them. Sony/SOE is doing alot of things right atm.
    Waky I'm basing it off an article I read with smed, where he said eqn and all future Sony mmos will be f2p and that eqn will use simmilar payment model to ps2 (which is good news, ps2 probably has the best f2p model going)

Sadly, I count that more along the lines of a general statement that could still change by launch.
  • exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

I'm not so much worried about graphics as fear them watering it down for console users. If they make the next version, a true successor to Everquest and then make it work on a console, then SUPER!!

However, cross platform usually scales towards the console user. Skills set up to be used in a couple of VERY repetitive button mashing.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I have no doubt. Sony read the same industry reports that were posted here.

The market of p2p-only games are declining and probably gone soon. F2P is the way to go.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Arguing over which console is best is a fool's bet.

No matter who wins,

YOU'RE STILL PLAYING A CONSOLE!

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

This discussion has been closed.