Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the best faction vs faction conflict game ?

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I have played DAOC forever(on and off for 11 years). I am leaving the game this weekend. It has been THE best ever faction vs faction game I have ever played.But the game seems to just be fading away.Player population is down etc etc.I think I keep up on what's going on but maybe not . I'm  hoping someone can suggest something I have overlooked.(yes I've played GW2(but not for 7-8 months) and thought the WvW was beyond repetitive).I'm not looking for a ffa pvp or any kind of pvp game.

Hopefully someone has a good suggestion or two ?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    You played one of the best, if not THE best one, currently available. Finding a replacement is going to be rough.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

WAR is a good one, but I dunno how population is. Could try RIFT, I think it has a faction vs faction conflict. Not sure how it is though, I don't hear much about its PvP...so that might be a bad sign for PvPers.

Umm...WoW WAS good (I liked Wrath of Lich King the best) but for PvP there was nothing like attacking and taking over an Alliance city and holding it.)...but now everyone just flies around and there is tons of high level guards everywhere. It is pretty bad now.

Camelot Unchained is popular around here, it succeeded its kickstarter...but that won't be released for years

For me, WoW had the best faction vs faction PvP out of the modern MMOs. DAOC was definitely really good though.

WoW was open world, and you could actually take over another factions town and they had to take it back. So many huge battles. Too bad it isn't like that anymore.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I know....DAOC was THE best.Thats why I keep going back.Hoping what drove me away the last time still isn't there. ESOL is in the future, and right now.......????
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96

Best faction vs faction PvP game without a doubt was Matrix Online.......

Unfortunately.....this was literally 90% of what the game focused on...there were no raids...no real dungeons...the whole game was about fighting the other 2 factions...which in the end made it a niche game for hardcore PvP'r's....and it closed down after about 4 and a half years.

As of now, WoW is probably your best bet

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Thanks for the advice. Any  other suggestions ?
  • 111mangar111111mangar111 Member Posts: 3

still not going to find it. As an original DAoC player myself and going back to it 3 times. There just aren't games like it. It's funny really so many people say it is the best rvrvr and yet no gaming company comes close to repeating it

single faction vs single faction games are always terrible because there is no balance

GW2 I really liked for awhile until, instead of actually fixing issues, they would just remove features, but I thought that had great potential but the server transfer abuse and the basic allowance by the company for guilds to just move all the time killed it horribly

I honestly have no idea why people are still suggesting wow it isn't and never was, well extremely on it was a good fvf game but it got exceedingly worse after BC and now its just well terrible, plus anyone not current would just lose all hope of pvping ever after getting rolled constantly

There were a few games along the line with potential, sadly all have failed

Personally my only advice is just drift around some ftp games and see if anything strikes you that way there is no investment and there are literally 100s of them

Right now I'm messing around in dragon's prophet, don't know too much about it yet so I do not even know if it is even a fvf game, but it is interesting to say the least

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daoc
    Planetside

.... bit of a gap .....

Planetside 2

... another gap ...

Warhammer

... a bigger gap ....

Gw2
    Aion
    Wow
    Rift

.... bloody huge gap ...

Tsw
    Swtor
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    A lot of us former DAoC players drift around, looking for a more modern version of DAoC and it just isn't out there.  Even DAoC is only a faint shadow of what it used to be, so going back isn't even much of an option.  Rift has good mechanics, but there is no RVR and very little ganking to motivate you to become badass.  WoW has a lot of ganking, but it is an old and tired game. Nothing quite scratches that RVR itch, where you had a real reason to PVP.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Yeah there is no game like daoc. Gw2 borrows a lot of ideas from daoc, but in a simmilar way wow borrows from EQ - e.g. more casual, gamey and simplified. One only need compare dragon raids.

Planetside got rvr right, but its just rvr, no pve or crafting.

Planetside 2 is the best modern factional game imo. It has almost the strategy of daoc / planetside, but not quite, and its moving in the right direction. Best pvp mmo for years and years - but not as strong as your pre wow pvp like daoc, eve, shadowbane, planetside 1, lineage 2 etc..
    You won't find a complete package like daoc. Even cu is a pure pvp game.

What I'm doing is playing ps2 3 or 4 nights a week and getting my pve running coo games like Torchlight 2, Monaco, left 4 dead 2 etc..

I've tried to find a modern mmo with pve I like. Gw2 and tsw were ok, bit the rest sucked. I've gotta real hankering for early mmo pve, like we had with EQ (before instance heavy expansions), daoc & ac hopes riding on eqn at the moment.