Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Odyssey Launched

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EVE Online players can now enter the game for the summer expansion, Odyssey. Odyssey is the nineteenth expansion to the decade-old game and includes a host of useful new features, most notably Odyssey introduces the Sensor Overlay, a "new system that helps players uncover the riches, riddles and relics hidden among the stars."

EVE Online: Odyssey brings evolved and enhanced spaceship metrics for multiple ship classes and redistributed stellar resource landscape, exploration sites, and NPC loot across the universe. These changes will shake up EVE’s player-driven economy and rattle tenuous diplomatic ties between even the largest player alliances of New Eden. Allegiances will shift, markets will boom and crash, and fresh wars will rage across the cosmos as EVE’s notorious pilots do what they do best—follow their ambitions and live their own unique and dramatic stories.

Just in time for these upheavals, Odyssey also rolls out brand new Navy Battlecruisers in which to explore, exploit, and conquer the galaxy. Player-owned starbases have also gotten an update, as the new expansion introduces dozens of fixes, updates, user interface innovations, and enhanced features such as radial menus and probe formations to make EVE Online more accessible without sacrificing its world-renowned depth.

Find out more on the EVE Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    EEKK.. I mean. Good job CCP
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Part of this makes me wanna come back.. whether to start over or go back to my old pilot... I went back a few months back and couldn't even remember how to fly my ship without autopilot...
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I'm thinking of coming back (for a 3rd attempt, previous attempts lasting ~3 months each), but I'm waiting for some sort of re-sub promotion, which I imagine they will do with this expansion.
  • IshimuraIshimura Member Posts: 1
    can't wait for the patch to finish loading, ughhhh
  • ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Mmm~ Navy Drake~

Makes me tempted to go back as my old char is a pure  BC pilot. Though there must be a more efficient/fun way to make ISK than mission running (got bored of that).

Cheers.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ye my average is 3 months of hardcore playing then taking a break again.
    As a 100% null sec player i just hope a war will start be it against Test or some other coalition i dont care :P

1 thing i had enough from is Strat ops for defending moons, seeing CFC has quite alot of those and more in the planning iam feeling totaly burned up.

Dont like scanning and stuff so this expansion dint alter things i would like to see changed like making SOV war fun again and worth doing :)
    But maybe next Xpac !!!

Odyssey is well received tough, they did a great job on doing the stuff they wanted to do.
    So all in all this is a great Xpac and exploration players will have a blast :) !!!

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Im loving it!!! :D btw if anyone wants theres a 21 days of free trial instead of those 14days they offer

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=32268c50-f50e-47fd-834e-78c2bf5fe77b&action=buddy

your welcome :)

Beta tester maniac

• ZektoZekto Member UncommonPosts: 11

or if you want a 30 day free trial you can try this link. (You just need to create an account and get it since it's free:

http://www.markeedragon.com/catalog/EVE_Online_30_Day_Free_Trial_Code.html

There is also multiple $4-5 starter packs of multiple different ships on there and other websites for a limited time. (Yes, they do stack with the 30 day trial from the previous link)

P.S. Be sure to put the 30 day free trial code before you put the one you bought for $5 dollars or in some cases $4.

You're even more welcome. :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Might have to re-activate my account and check the game out again..
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm enjoying things so far and the new scanner and overlay is all quite nice. As a new player having recently moved to nullsec the mining re-balance seems like a good change also and I'm looking forward to see how that works out.  If you want to be a cowered in highsec you shouldn't be able to make as much isk as someone in nullsec dealing with substantial risk. The radial menu is really cool also and the way in which you set orbit/warp to is genius but I’m not so keen on the new undock button location although I guess I’ll get used to it. Overall some nice changes :)

• ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Bumer/goga

Mmm~ Navy Drake~

Makes me tempted to go back as my old char is a pure  BC pilot. Though there must be a more efficient/fun way to make ISK than mission running (got bored of that).

Cheers.

Depending what is fun for you - there are battlecruiser spots in PvE stuff, like incursions and drone fighting and wormhole exploring... and there are battlecruiser spots in low/nullsec. Solo or parts of armies, where you can then sell your enemies' loot. Or, you know, lose a 200 million ship ;)

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

after 5yr. absence.

i resubbed this month to check out oddyssey. it feels more pve friendly, i got pvpd out for the years i was playing, iam goin gto focus on exploration and missions this time around ill see how long i last ingame.

so far the new feature are beutiful= the warping transitions feel complete.

my ship waiting for my old toon which ive had for 7yrs the gnosis looks fun to play in.

i need to sell tons of stuff ive gathered through tthe years!before i start exploring lol!

the game feels new!

just waiting on  a few new skills to finish- that hasnt changed!

<.<

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I need to make a new char to Ty the new scanning info out. I'm excited to see what has changed. I can back from ages ago and have been enjoying my time since. It's fun and a lot less pull your hair out like it was in the first few years.
    There are alot of trial account links and ill post mine when I can for people wanting toget back in on the game. It's the same but better and alot more fun n
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I would be there if they reduce the sub to 9$

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    as usual EvE makes one other amazing trailer. if EvE truly implements VR capability once the Oculus Rift comes out this game is going to explode with subs.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I want to hurl every time CCP releases a new expansion, because it reminds me how shitty so many other game companies are these days by comparison.  Even though EVE's spaceship-based gameplay doesn't appeal to me, I'm a huge fan of the game and CCP.  EVE is an icon of how to do things right, IMO.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LacodiaLacodia Member Posts: 1

Eve is a gorgeous game that I've tried to pick up a few different times, but I'm really not interested in playing PVP, joining a corp, mining (done that), or trading (done that).

A few months ago I took a turn at exploration, and enjoyed it a bit. Made my way into a lowsec wormhole and got killed by a bunch of rats.

The problem I have with the game is that there is very little RPG, exploration, or cool environments to  explore. CCP needs to create a more dynamic and interesting exploration experience. What we need are some alien races that you can interact with, some artifacts that are truly unique, and some environments that don't look exactly like every other area of space. How about a mission that requires you to enter a sector wide gas region, with it's own unique characteristics, or how about a mission that requires you to use a special device to delve into the heart of a sun, or an encounter with a race that imparts some piece of story driven knowledge. The opportunities are endless, but CCP seems dead set on endless rat killing, mining, trading, PVP, and corp politics.

Originally posted by Lacodia

Eve is a gorgeous game that I've tried to pick up a few different times, but I'm really not interested in playing PVP, joining a corp, mining (done that), or trading (done that).

A few months ago I took a turn at exploration, and enjoyed it a bit. Made my way into a lowsec wormhole and got killed by a bunch of rats.

The problem I have with the game is that there is very little RPG, exploration, or cool environments to  explore. CCP needs to create a more dynamic and interesting exploration experience. What we need are some alien races that you can interact with, some artifacts that are truly unique, and some environments that don't look exactly like every other area of space. How about a mission that requires you to enter a sector wide gas region, with it's own unique characteristics, or how about a mission that requires you to use a special device to delve into the heart of a sun, or an encounter with a race that imparts some piece of story driven knowledge. The opportunities are endless, but CCP seems dead set on endless rat killing, mining, trading, PVP, and corp politics.

I agree.  I would lean more towards exploration myself, but it's really not all that great in EVE, unfortunately.   The work it takes to find something isn't balanced by the experience of enjoying your discovery.  Not by a long shot.  If EVE has a weak area, that's it for me.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The problem I have with the game is that there is very little RPG, exploration, or cool environments to  explore. CCP needs to create a more dynamic and interesting exploration experience.

Seems like you'll enjoy this expansion then. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The problem I have with the game is that there is very little RPG, exploration, or cool environments to  explore. CCP needs to create a more dynamic and interesting exploration experience.

Seems like you'll enjoy this expansion then. :) 

How so?  I didn't see any major overhauls to exploration, unless I missed it....

EDIT:  I know they made some nice changes to existing exploration features, but the act of "exploring" and the visual experience of it still sucks.  I guess I've watched too much Star Trek...