Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back to Rift and...

124»

Comments

• slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

interesting read overall i've played both Rift & GW2

i'd say one of the big features in Rift is that you can have multiple class talent trees and have multiple specs to switch around so no fight is the same if you play like that such as when i play my Rogue and solo i'll switch to either stealth assassin and sneak and stab or i'll play as a Ranger with pet in toe anyway you get the job done is best way to play.

with GW2 the class style has plenty going for it in the sense that every class has a heal button and there is no trinity which is a good/bad thing to some depends on what you think.  i play a ranger and mage on both games and to give you more insight both have rangers but only GW2 has a ranger class that you can tame many MANY pets sort of like WoW and most pets make decent tanks for soloing but my pick is bear's in most games in Rift your only real tank pet is a Boar which gets kinda boring to look at the same pet 24/7. 

one of the downsides in comparison to Rift & GW2 is GW2 lacks multi-classing but still has semi-deep talents

GW2 doesn't have raid content, Rift does, i'm not into PVP myself but both can be fun.

i guess in a nutshell one game is not better then the other but all fun just the same :-)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by DMKano

GW2 again IMO, all classes feel very similar, when it comes to actual fighting, yes a mesmer plays different than a warrior but after playing all classes in GW2, i can't put my finger on it, it felt like I was playing the same class somehow.

How do you get by with saying that? I said the exact same thing a couple months ago and was dragged through the rocky streets by horseman. 

• Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Well , certainly recognise this, the only games i can stand outside of GW2 are those with highly interactive and immersive stories like SWTOR,  TSW . But only because there is not enough story quests in GW2.
    Even WoW has more story than Rift though. When it comes to story and lore, Rift is one of the worse possible choice of the market.
    Lore develops over time - Rift launched in 2011 and it is new IP.

WoW launched in 2006 on established IP.

Apples and Oranges.

Take EQ1s lore the game launched in 1999 and has 19 expansions, you can't compare the lore of that to something that is a couple of years old, there is no competition.

It's not like this.Vanilla WoW's lore was bigger than Rift Storm Legion's lore.Actually Guild Wars' lore is bigger than Rift's too. Lore and content are different things.And actually WoW's content not bigger than Everquest's but lore is a different thing.WoW still got bigger and better lore than Everquest...

Actually even that idiotic p2w Allods got bigger lore than Rift lol.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I don't play rift or gw2 but i have played both in the past, if i had to choose one it would be gw2. rift is just a linear quest grinding to end game then raid or die standard mmo.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by page975

Rift - soul system is way better than weapons swap in GW2.....Tank, healer and dps is better too.

GW2- Better graphics and coding.

For me both games should NOT be called mmos :

Rift - Had deep chain quest. No one could play with each other unless you match quest for quest, maybe a breff help out or end game.

GW2 - Auto group, play with others around you.  Kind of like going to the mall by yourself.

Both games lasted three weeks for me......There not mmos !

They are mmo you just didn't like them, the fact you didn't play for long doesn't disprove that they are an mmo.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Howry

I was the exact opposite. I absolutely hated GW 2.  Luckily GW2 customer service was nice enough to give me my money back on it.  Very cool of them.

I think GW2 is one of those games you either love or hate, no real in between.

I do enjoy Rift and am glad it is going F2P so i can play it for 30 minutes per night after the kids go to bed and not have to pay for it.

Thats the thing about these games, different crowds like different things.

i wasnt hated gw2. tbh i was expecting it for many years as a gw1 fan. but it was a big letdown for me.

anyway i returned to RIFT and i dont care if its better or not compared to gw2. the point is that i have much more fun in RIFT and thats enough for me.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Malevil
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by Grailer

[mod edit]

If you take away your crutch (holy trinity), two things will happen:

1) You fall down

or

2)You move faster

I take it you "fall down" without your crutch.

Some of us merely enjoy playing specialized roles instead of the weird do everything hybrids that GW2 has. It's just a lot more fun playing as the trinity. GW2's class design was bad. Classes are usually only kinda sorta the ones I typically enjoy but they are either watered down or have other skills and roles thrown in that I do not want instead of ones I do, in a poor attempt to make it fit in to GW2's trinity-less combat. I prefer my standard MMO class archetypes. There's a reason we have seen them in so many games - it's because they're fun to play.

I played trinity games for years and reality is that big big majority plays 1 role - dps.  Then u have  2 small minorities - healers and tanks who carry rest through the whole endgame pve content. So yea, there are very few ppl who realy enjoy playing specific roles of tank or healer, but big big majority just enjoys being on easy mode.

I've played all three archetypes... all of them are *easy mode*... to suggest playing a healer is harder is a lie... it's no different than spamming dps on the mobs... you're spamming heals on your friends... tanking is just as easy... just stand there and spam aggro and damage mitgation cooldowns.  Move to the left, move to the right... do the hokey pokey and that's what it's all about.

Please... get off your high horse and admit the reason you like playing a healer or tank is because it guarantees you a spot in the raid and that's it.  If there were 12 tanks and you had to sit because you weren't as good as tank A, you'd be less inclined to play a tank.  Same for healers.  It's that sense of entitlement that you enjoy about your class.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Oh man,don't get me started on GW2,that game is cheap 101 from all of it's design.

I do  share a lot of the same ideas such as i hate the yellow ! and linear questing and hand holding but make no mistake GW2 is no goody two shoes their either.

There has ONLY been ONE game to do it in a mature fashion ,zero,notta,zilch absolutely not hand holding period and that is >>FFXI.

Anet's whole design is so amazingly obvious it like slaps me in the face.Their whole idea was o think of a way to design a game that would mimic the cheap cost of operating GW1.

Here is a video of a GW2 fan that is imo  too lenient with a second rate developer.Most people know of this guy KRIPP.

Video

They banned him ,then when they realized who he was and that he ran a large guild and made them lot's of money and put out vids showing how lame ANET is,they decided to unban him.SO two faced,they want him banned but decided wrong guy to ban.

This is not an exploit either this was  an in game money making idea that was ANET's fault.Thsi IDENTICAL idea also happened in FFXI ,guess what,they patched it and did not ban anyone for their mistake.

Also what shows you the lack of effort by Anet,they asked him to delete the stuff he got from this supposed exploit.That tells me they did not do a single thing on the supposed exploit except ban players.REALLY nice gimmick to sell more accounts,geesh no wonder they get those huge sales numbers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by pmiles

I've played all three archetypes... all of them are *easy mode*... to suggest playing a healer is harder is a lie... it's no different than spamming dps on the mobs... you're spamming heals on your friends... tanking is just as easy... just stand there and spam aggro and damage mitgation cooldowns.  Move to the left, move to the right... do the hokey pokey and that's what it's all about.

I've also played the three trinity archetypes, extensively, into "hardcore" raiding, therefore I'm quite confident when I say that anyone pretending tanking or healing is as easy as DPSing doesn't have any credibility.

I'd also like you to explain me why there's a lack of tanks and healers in all trinity based games... and why in WoW, they actually ended adding additional rewards for people playing those two roles.

Fact is, healers and even more tanks have very little room for error. For instance, the typical trinity raid encounter in a trinity based theme park uses 1 or 2 tanks maximum. One tank dies, aka presses the wrong button at the wrong time or stands in the wrong pool of fire, and it's usually a wipe. One DPS dies? Who cares, life goes on and he will be combat rezzed by one of the healers anyway.

My classification of roles in trinity based games, resulting of years of experience with raiding the hardest content, is simple.

Highest responsibility: Tanks. If they screw up, it's most likely 100% a wipe. Even an attempt of combat rezzing will fail in the hardest content, by the time the tank is back up and taunted everyone back on him, half the raid will be dead.

Second highest: healers. They only lose to tanks because there are usually more of them, and they can rez each other.

Way below in the ranking: DPS. One dies? Not a big deal, there are many, and they will most likely be combat rezzed. A couple of DPS could actually go AFK and nobody would notice.

So I agree when someone says that in trinity based games, 25% of the players do 75% of the job. It fits my own extended experience of playing those games perfectly.

My computer is better than yours.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by page975

Rift - soul system is way better than weapons swap in GW2.....Tank, healer and dps is better too.

GW2- Better graphics and coding.

For me both games should NOT be called mmos :

Rift - Had deep chain quest. No one could play with each other unless you match quest for quest, maybe a breff help out or end game.

GW2 - Auto group, play with others around you.  Kind of like going to the mall by yourself.

Both games lasted three weeks for me......There not mmos !

Considering that in Rift I only leveled 1 of my 3 characters up using quest your point is invalid.

I leveled up in groups doing dungeons, pvp, events and instant adventures. 

Rift