Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paul Sage Buffed. De interview 6/3/13

MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

http://www.buffed.de/TESO-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-PC-239823/News/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Creative-Director-Paul-Sage-aeussert-sich-zur-Item-Progression-zu-Mounts-und-zum-Gildensystem-im-Video-1072227/

In both English and German

From the Bethesda thread:

Summary thanks to leperchans :

• Lawrence Shick (Lore Master, think that's how you spell his name) might not have done any voice acting in the game.
  • No real way to RP between factions, they are focusing on the three faction PvP. Might potentially later on might do something, but right now you can't. (But obviously you could RP with other faction members in Cyrodiil, just not outside of there. I think that's what he was mainly getting at).
  • Day/Night Cycle: Four times the speed of real life. Day night cycle should switch around 6 times a day.
  • Modding in the game will be just for UI only at the moment. Possible allow more modding later on down the road. (Don't believe they would open up modding anymore than just for the UI).
  • There will be a "Large Scale Player Trade Mechanism" in the game (basically an Auction House). They want it more focused than a huge broad-scaled AH, and have a small community towards it. (Makes me think that AH will be region specific and not just go to one and you see everything your faction put up, no matter where you put up the items).
  • Adventure Zones: Groups of 4 can go into Adventure Zones. There will be areas within the Adventure Zones that you will need 24 people. Lots of activities for different groups sizes, but mainly most of it will be for 24 man groups.
  • There will be item progression in the game.
  • Role Players: Costumes. There are more features for Role Players just not revealing at the moment.
  • They have to hit certain milestones with number of people in Closed Betas before they increase the number of people. Will expand much more later on in the year (obviously).
  • Adventure Zones: Large open zone. Raids are within the Adventure Zones. Won't really have the traditional kill one boss type fights. Might have situations where you send 5 people in one area to deal with something ,another 5 to another area to handle a different situation. Have to attack things in parallel and with timing.
  • No voice macros in the game at the moment.
  • There will be mounts in the game. Mounts are like they are in typical MMOs. You can feeds your mounts and how you feed your mounts determine how it will grow. You can determine the paths of your mounts and how they behave. (Ok that is pretty cool and I really like hearing about this).
  • It is possible to have a guilds with all three factions in there. You can join up to 5 different guilds. Your account is attached to your guilds. (So to me that means that if I'm an Ebonheart player and have my Ebonheart main guild and I create an Aldmeri Character I can still communicate with my guildmates. But that doesn't mean that you can just add someone from another faction though, they have to have a character from your faction in your guild first though).
  • PvP rewards: Alliance Points (get through killing, taking keeps) used to buy armor/weapons.
  • You can pick four classes, but it's very open-ended and can make any class you want. Could be tough to balance for PvP, but that's the fun part of it. (Really nothing near here folks).
  • PvP Gear: There will be PvP gear that you can acquire in PvP, but there are no PvP attributes in the game.
  • Crafting (Provisioner): They are basically food and drink crafters. They are long time buff givers, compared to potions, which only give short buffs. You can buy food in the game, but the best food in the game can only be made by crafters.
  • Healing: Healing is very actively involved. Healing is mainly AoE or Coned. It is smart heals so heals people who mainly need it the most or whoever is in front of you (if it's coned).
  • Crafting: You can put a signature on weapons/armor. So people can see who made those items.
  • Role Playing: Can't just put items out in the world at the moment. They said they aren't doing it at the moment because of just griefing reasons, but are looking into ways so that later on you could be able to place things around the world.

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Some good info here

Wonder what the bigger plan for mounts is then? There has to be a reason why we can grow them to have different attributes

Also the confirmation of 4 pvp skill trees is news to me (I thought they said 3 previously)

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

There might not be a bigger plan for mounts. They just wanted another gold sink and give everyone the chance to upgrade their mounts steadily. It is possible it tie into the Provisioning crafting profession as well. Although, I wonder what stable looks like. Do we get to enter it or is it just a UI screen?

As for the PvP skill lines. I though 3 as well, but then I remembered that there was an Emperor skill line mentioned at PAX East too, so it makes 4: command, siege engine, I don't remember the other one + Emperor. Few peopel will get the Emperor one...

There will be a "Large Scale Player Trade Mechanism" in the game (basically an Auction House). They want it more focused than a huge broad-scaled AH, and have a small community towards it. (Makes me think that AH will be region specific and not just go to one and you see everything your faction put up, no matter where you put up the items).

You find it funny how they have all those long terms for things in the game. They also have one for the "large group content", which is like 6 words long.  And the region specific stuff is speculation, remote "AH" are never used, there are no point in implementing this. Everyone will just hang-out in Daggerfall anyhow (if playing for the Covenant, no idea what are the main cities for the other factions).

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

One thing I found interesting about mounts is what he said about them developing differently depending on what you feed them... aggressive carnivorous horses? image

But then again it was Sage. He is the one who allegedly told Massively (twice) back around the time of PAX, that players from different faction could PvE together.  I tend to only believe what he says if Matt confirms it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat

http://www.buffed.de/TESO-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-PC-239823/News/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Creative-Director-Paul-Sage-aeussert-sich-zur-Item-Progression-zu-Mounts-und-zum-Gildensystem-im-Video-1072227/

In both English and German

From the Bethesda thread:

Summary thanks to leperchans :

• Lawrence Shick (Lore Master, think that's how you spell his name) might not have done any voice acting in the game.
    • No real way to RP between factions, they are focusing on the three faction PvP. Might potentially later on might do something, but right now you can't. (But obviously you could RP with other faction members in Cyrodiil, just not outside of there. I think that's what he was mainly getting at).
    • Day/Night Cycle: Four times the speed of real life. Day night cycle should switch around 6 times a day.
    • Modding in the game will be just for UI only at the moment. Possible allow more modding later on down the road. (Don't believe they would open up modding anymore than just for the UI).
    • There will be a "Large Scale Player Trade Mechanism" in the game (basically an Auction House). They want it more focused than a huge broad-scaled AH, and have a small community towards it. (Makes me think that AH will be region specific and not just go to one and you see everything your faction put up, no matter where you put up the items).
    • Adventure Zones: Groups of 4 can go into Adventure Zones. There will be areas within the Adventure Zones that you will need 24 people. Lots of activities for different groups sizes, but mainly most of it will be for 24 man groups.
    • There will be item progression in the game.
    • Role Players: Costumes. There are more features for Role Players just not revealing at the moment.
    • They have to hit certain milestones with number of people in Closed Betas before they increase the number of people. Will expand much more later on in the year (obviously).
    • Adventure Zones: Large open zone. Raids are within the Adventure Zones. Won't really have the traditional kill one boss type fights. Might have situations where you send 5 people in one area to deal with something ,another 5 to another area to handle a different situation. Have to attack things in parallel and with timing.
    • No voice macros in the game at the moment.
    • There will be mounts in the game. Mounts are like they are in typical MMOs. You can feeds your mounts and how you feed your mounts determine how it will grow. You can determine the paths of your mounts and how they behave. (Ok that is pretty cool and I really like hearing about this).
    • It is possible to have a guilds with all three factions in there. You can join up to 5 different guilds. Your account is attached to your guilds. (So to me that means that if I'm an Ebonheart player and have my Ebonheart main guild and I create an Aldmeri Character I can still communicate with my guildmates. But that doesn't mean that you can just add someone from another faction though, they have to have a character from your faction in your guild first though).
    • PvP rewards: Alliance Points (get through killing, taking keeps) used to buy armor/weapons.
    • You can pick four classes, but it's very open-ended and can make any class you want. Could be tough to balance for PvP, but that's the fun part of it. (Really nothing near here folks).
    • PvP Gear: There will be PvP gear that you can acquire in PvP, but there are no PvP attributes in the game.
    • Crafting (Provisioner): They are basically food and drink crafters. They are long time buff givers, compared to potions, which only give short buffs. You can buy food in the game, but the best food in the game can only be made by crafters.
    • Healing: Healing is very actively involved. Healing is mainly AoE or Coned. It is smart heals so heals people who mainly need it the most or whoever is in front of you (if it's coned).
    • Crafting: You can put a signature on weapons/armor. So people can see who made those items.
    • Role Playing: Can't just put items out in the world at the moment. They said they aren't doing it at the moment because of just griefing reasons, but are looking into ways so that later on you could be able to place things around the world.

Thanks OP, good stuff.  These are highlights for me. I would like to add it would be great if you could raise your mount to have certain behaviors and then breed it with another line of mounts. Horse's bloodline are sometimes more epic then that of kings so imagine how cool it could be to be a horse breeder!!!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Correct me if I am getting this wrong but...

They designed the game around 3 faction PvP and you cannot talk to enemy factions...

But you can join up to 5 guilds including guilds in other factions with alts and can communicate with that guild...

Please point out where I am getting this wrong...Please.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Good post, a lot of information.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

They designed the game around 3 faction PvP and you cannot talk to enemy factions...

But you can join up to 5 guilds including guilds in other factions with alts and can communicate with that guild...

I think you understand correctly. If this turns out to be true, well...then there is indeed no reason whatsoever to have any restrictions on the PvE part of the game. When it comes to the RvR, let them keep their faction setup and no communication while in Cyrodill. But for the PvE portion of the game they should really go all the way then and allow for all races to group up together and being able to communicate with each other outside of guild chat.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    ^ do this I definetly won't buy it.

I don't want tsw / rift "pvp"
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Very nice info.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Anakami

I think you understand correctly. If this turns out to be true, well...then there is indeed no reason whatsoever to have any restrictions on the PvE part of the game. When it comes to the RvR, let them keep their faction setup and no communication while in Cyrodill. But for the PvE portion of the game they should really go all the way then and allow for all races to group up together and being able to communicate with each other outside of guild chat.

OK...

So essentially if I am in a guild involved heavily in PvP I can join a guild in an opposing faction with an alt and listen to the enemy factions chat? Seriously I know they have made some really odd (read fucked up something awful) design choices but that just doesn't make sense...any at all.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

1. Guilds are linked to the account, not characters, this is why they are "cross-faction".

2. You can only join one PvP Campaign (per character? or is it faction?). Switching cost alliance points.

3. We don't know the campaign selection limitation. They just have to make it impossible to join campaign with guild you are member of in the opposition.

4. You can do the exact same thing by sharing a TS/Vent with people you know in the opposite side without being in their guilds...

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Anakami

OK...

So essentially if I am in a guild involved heavily in PvP I can join a guild in an opposing faction with an alt and listen to the enemy factions chat? Seriously I know they have made some really odd (read fucked up something awful) design choices but that just doesn't make sense...any at all.

It was confirmed months ago that this can't happen, your alts (on a different faction) are locked out of the campaign that your main (and your guild) is in

"TF: Again on the megaserver, your faction choice becomes a bit less rigid then it might be in a multi-server game. How is that going to be handled? Especially with regard to if you want to make an alt someday?

MF: Yeah, so your different characters can be in different alliances, but since your character is tied to a campaign for PvP, we obviously can’t have everyone in the entire game in a single PvP battlefield. We are going to have multiple campaigns running which are multiple versions of our PvP battleground. Your character is tied to an alliance in a campaign, so you can have a character in another alliance, but in a different campaign.

TF: So you will be taking measures to restrict people from joining the same campaign on multiple factions?

PS: Absolutely, when you sign up for a campaign, your guild will be associated with a certain campaign as well. You won’t be able to have a character from one alliance in the same campaign as an alt in a different alliance. We don’t want you to stack the deck so to speak."

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/10/interview-matt-paul/

Originally posted by azarhal

1. Guilds are linked to the account, not characters, this is why they are "cross-faction".

2. You can only join one PvP Campaign (per character? or is it faction?). Switching cost alliance points.

3. We don't know the campaign selection limitation. They just have to make it impossible to join campaign with guild you are member of in the opposition.

4. You can do the exact same thing by sharing a TS/Vent with people you know in the opposite side without being in their guilds...

spying isnt the problem, you will always have spies, its easy for one rich guy in guild to have a 2nd sub.  What is the problem is huge cross  faction PVE mega guilds, going into the pvp zone to farm it by trading objectives, circle farming etc.. as a way to get power geared for dungeons.

see... TSW, RIFT

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

One possible explanation is this:

Say you have both an Ebonheart pact character and a Daggerfall covenant character.

The Ebonheart character is a member of ABC guild.

The Daggerfall character is a member of XYZ guild.

(therefore as a player you are a member of guilds of both factions which is what was stated is possible).

BUT if you are currently playing the Ebonheart character, you can only participate in chat in the ABC guild. This would mean you cannot talk with enemy factions.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I loved the post, thanks OP. I'm so excited with the immersion focus, be it the day night cycles TOR was missing(standard stuff but still glad they have it on that timing cycle), or the horse feeding (awesome), or the signatures on crafted items, or the focus on making the crafting feel more meaningful, love it. 

There Is Always Hope!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

spying isnt the problem, you will always have spies, its easy for one rich guy in guild to have a 2nd sub.  What is the problem is huge cross  faction PVE mega guilds, going into the pvp zone to farm it by trading objectives, circle farming etc.. as a way to get power geared for dungeons.

see... TSW, RIFT

Exactly. Exploiters exploit. If you make it easy to do,  more of them will do it more often.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

see... TSW, RIFT

What a difference a few days make lol.

I like the system, best thing i''ve heard so far, i look forward to doing exactly what you describe with my x faction RPing guild.

Yeah unfortunately themes a lot of people like you that will destroy pvp for actually pvpers given the opportunity.

Fingers crossed zos aren't stupid enough to do a funcom