Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Final Public Beta Event Coming This Friday

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Firefall will be entering its final public beta event beginning Friday, June 7th and run through the weekend. Players taking part this weekend will have the opportunity to score both in-game and out of game rewards. 

As an additional bonus for helping test the game, Red 5 will be running a new trailer contest. It has partnered with Razer™ and AMD to offer two epic prize packages that include a Razer™ BlackWidow Tournament Edition keyboard, AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 (HIS IceQ X² Edition), Commander-level Founder’s Pack and a limited edition Firefall Brontodon plushie. Additional contest information can be found at the official Beta Weekend page.

Find out more at any of the links above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    soo after 2+ years of development they're going to launch the game like this ?
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Technically, they're just going into open beta, but with a single area and not much to do in it... yeah, this doesn't sound good. Too bad if FF fails to meet its once-ambitious goals, but it sure looks like it.

• grummzgrummz Member Posts: 56

Hi, I'm the CEO of Red 5 Studios. Have you tried the latest patch? A lot of new content. You don't have to thump if you don't want to. ARES missions and more.

We have rave comments from the latest patch, people are diggin it.

Also, lots planned for Open Beta and the near future:

http://www.twitch.tv/r5studios/b/410757719

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Wait til your game is finished, properly finished, not half done, THEN release it. Open beta is the same as releasing to all intents and purposes. The masses will play the game and decide whether it is good or bad and no matter what you do later you will never overcome that.......

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PinchfistPinchfist Member Posts: 40
    Yeah, I bought in as a commander-level founder but this quick move to open beta has me pretty down.  Lots of good ideas, but it's just not ready for the fickle mmofps market in this state.  I doubt it will rebound and that makes me a bit sad.  I had high hopes for Firefall. Oh well, guess we'll see how it goes. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Wait til your game is finished, properly finished, not half done, THEN release it. Open beta is the same as releasing to all intents and purposes. The masses will play the game and decide whether it is good or bad and no matter what you do later you will never overcome that.......

^ this. Just look at neverwinter. If you think anyone is buying the whole " it's just beta " go look at that game. Neverwinter is launched no matter what they are call it and it wasn't ready to be.

I have no doubt the changes made are good for the game, I just think launching with the little world you have is going to end as a disaster.

• grummzgrummz Member Posts: 56
    Have you played the latest patch? Still asking if you feel this way after the patch, since the feedback would be helpful. Or is this based on an older version of the game?
  • majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    The patch didn't really add much. I have tried playing since then but there is still nothing to do.

• HakudoJoeHakudoJoe Member Posts: 10

A friend gave me a beta invite to this a few weeks ago. I was stunned at how little content there is in the game, and how the company is actually trying to charge money at this point.  The game is like Borderlands, if all the weapons sucked and you were confined to the starting area. 

There's no way they'll have this mess fixed for open beta. 

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

I've been testing since redwood and I'm really hopeful for the success of the product, but we plain and simply need more real estate as soon as reasonably possible.

• Elqueso96Elqueso96 Member Posts: 3
    Sad what was such a promising game took so many bad turns. 
    Originally posted by Elqueso96
    Sad what was such a promising game took so many bad turns. 

Where were the bad turns?

Detours perhaps, but what were the detrimental additions?

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I played the latest patch.  Where is the content?  You guys keep adding things that aren't dynamic enough to put on loop. The other territories haven't opened up yet so there isn't much to talk about.

• Thumping for resources - Endless loop
    • Ares Missions - Endless loop of the same missions that change a little bit in the exact same locations
    • Crashed Thumper - Literally the same dynamic event over and over again all over.
    • Crashed LGV - Literally the same dynamic event over and over again, all over

On top of the loop, your guns and armor can be permanently lost just for playing and dying too much.  This game feels like it's not even in BETA, it feels like it's in "hey guys check out this idea for a game". Feels like it should be played from inside of a web browser right now. So much is lacking that other games have.

Maybe it will have a monstrously huge improvement by Open Beta? 

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It does take a few dozen hours of use to successfully deplete an items repair pool if you have any survival instinct, and the games flinging enough raw material at you that replacements should be a cakewalk.

I won't argue that the Thumper and LGV encounter aren't stale but they are adding new base ARES missions and hopefully more 'mutators' as time progresses. Thumping isn't the end all beat all material harvesting method now either, so theres nothing making you repeat it consatntly.

I may have misinterpreted their live reveal event somewhat, but I think that the ability to shove the melding back is coming with or soon after the open beta launch.

Also JETBALL

Yes, FF's real problem is that there's no variety. It has fun gunplay and jetpacks are always great, but content? Nah. Capacabana is nice, but it gets old and the few different events there are don't provide enough variety. Also, the game really needs that RTS AI, because right now Chosen attacks are really repetitive.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Everything is kinda stale. Once you explore the small territory and have done the few things there are to do a few times you're very much over it and I'm not talking about a in a couple weeks.  This happens within a span of days.  Also the PVE game play is very sloppy. There can be just piles and piles of enemies that track and shoot you no matter what you do.  I guess that's how they make it challenging by randomly spawning hella enemies.  Defiance feels better and more satisfying to shoot things.  I wish I could combine the 2 games.

This person must be playing on a Tandy because it looks horrid but you can get a gist of the open world game play:

http://youtu.be/lcyegUion0s

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Sounds like the investors are pushing for release prematurely..

as always.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

It used to be games launched with well done game worlds offering plenty of content and even more going forward; today we are given sparse game worlds with mediocre amount of content going forward.

I almost guarantee this generation of gamers will come to expect this and consider it the norm, if they haven't already.  Developers such as this realize this and don't so much care about the "old timers" such as ourselves. 

I'll be passing on this game.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

people bitching abt  this long ass beta need to put a lid on it. we dotn  want another diablo3/defiance in the market.

Red5 has been doin a spectacular job testing the beta (years!) but, they have delivered a stellar product so far!

they are doin old school beta! and its been worth the wait.they are pure harcore gamer devs!

the Ares missions and SH events are awsome!

the new battleframe system is a welcoming change!

the content is beautiful!

and if you have been paying close attention on whats to come its goin to be big!!-

so red5 take your time!-the game is coming out Amazing!

i just started playing last week after a year break-and the game is awesome so far!!!

that video post here is horrid -what settings do u have!??? holy ...

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by grummz
    Have you played the latest patch? Still asking if you feel this way after the patch, since the feedback would be helpful. Or is this based on an older version of the game?

Agreeing with Grummz. I haven't tried the latest patch and I would suggest those who are writing negative posts to take a look if they haven't done so to prove their points otherwise don't bother, I've always believed in that, if you're giving your opinions to bring proof otherwise its just not valid, feedback helps even if you think it doesn't.

EDIT: Give firefall another chance, help these guys and your self to make this game enjoyable. Too many people come onto closed/open beta and just complain but never give feedback.

• PinchfistPinchfist Member Posts: 40

I've not, actually.  I downloaded it last night and will login tonight after work.  I had stopped playing for a while after a muck up with my commander founder pack caused me to lose all of my progress (a new character had to be created and I wasn't enjoying it enough to bother between work and family).  That said, I kept up with all the patch notes and while some changes look nice, all I've seen still doesn't' add up to open beta and cash shop phase.  Perhaps that's just me, but I do grow tired of all the "open beta" releases.  I think Red 5 has some great ideas -- that's why I dropped the bill on your project, but I would implore you to take your time and polish the game.  I'm not sure exactly when the industry decided that releasing titles in a clearly unfinished state (even dynamic content games can have a "finished" level of decorum and finality in terms of polish, style, and mechanics).  I love what you're doing, but I just don't think that it's ready to go yet.  Will it be a breakout title and succeed against these odds?  I don't know.  I do know that the market will judge pretty harshly once this hits open beta -- it's been seen time and time again (especially over the last 5-6 years) with titles that are in better shape as far as the state of their product goes.

I guess I'm not surprised that this is going to happen, I just don't always drop money as a founder only to see the rug pulled out from under me.  Oh well.  This isn't the first time that this has happened, and it won't be the last, but it would be nice if Red 5 et al. would try and move away from the open beta release/community collapse model.  It's getting old.   :(

• Elqueso96Elqueso96 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by grummz

I've seen how poorly your community team treats people that post negative feedback even when the negative feedback is level headed and posted in a respectful manner...  Best reason to avoid r5's forum is to avoid their cyber bullies.  Before someone posts the whole, trying to discredit this opinion, i have even had a conversation with someone who was an NCO before that program was suspended and he said he considered Phobos a bully. Its not a small niche community that feels bullied by them. 

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Open beta is NOT release. They are not calling it release. They are moving to Open Beta to get more players to greater stress the servers and give more feedback.

Don't blame Red 5 for the bastardization of the term Open Beta. Blame Neverwinter. Open Beta IS NOT RELEASE.

If you don't want to spend money supporting Red 5, fine, don't. There is absolutely nothing you need to spend money on to play. Nothing. The only thing spending red beans gets you is faster resource refining times/crafting final items, instant battleframe unlocks or cosmetic items/paints.

Three new areas coming with the Open Beta patch along with the first 5-man instance and a bunch of other things.

Durability isn't even an issue with the amount of resources you get for everything, it's only a small resource sink.  People who still shout about it just haven't played the game and tested it and are letting their fears override common sense. I hated it when it came out but it's so minor I don't even notice it anymore.

At least try the current game instead of spouting stupid non-sense about the a state of the game that isn't even true.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I really enjoyed the game. I love the idea and think it has tremendous polish but it had a major lack of content. I'm not talking about getting bored in a couple weeks like most mmos that have hit the market lately, I'm talking days. It has the idea, the production, the polish, and the mechanics (Outside of a weak AI) but it didn't have the content at all. I will download it later today and check out the updates. Full disclosure, it has been a while since I have played. I just can't imagine they put in nearly enough content yet but I will check it out for myself. The game is really solid, just need more of it.
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Open beta is NOT release. They are not calling it release. They are moving to Open Beta to get more players to greater stress the servers and give more feedback.

Beta phases are generally for polish and bug fixes, so a real open beta wouldn't be THAT different from a release. The state Firefall has been in is more similar to what's traditionally called alpha - a raw version of the game with lots of content missing and the basic mechanics up to change.