Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge Marvel Fan- I Hate This Game

After all the ups and downs of hearing about the original Marvel MMO, its cancellation, then being picked up again by Gazillion.  Filled with hope that at last I would be able to explore Marvel's New York City and beyond.

What I got was Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Don't get me wrong, I love that game.  But it's a bit cooler when it's you and your friends playing.  And you don't expect much from it, really.  It's just a beat 'em up.  When the Marvel MMO was in production I wasn't thinking, "Man, I hope it's exactly like MUA but online."

What I wanted was to make my own hero and rub shoulders with Marvel's iconic heroes- exploring the city, fighting crime.  Maybe starting off as a student at Xavier's Academy for the Gifted or the Avengers Initiative.  Nope.  Instead you play AS one of the iconic heroes.  Which sounds cool at first until you're in the game and everyone else is playing the same guy.  There's literally an army of Daredevils (my favorite hero), Hawkeyes, Scarlet Witches...  It's weird.  It's jarring.

I've always wanted to explore Hell's Kitchen as a huge Daredevil fan.  When I finally got the chance in this game it made me hang my head and slump my shoulders.  You just go around this weirdly-designed neighborhood where there aren't any people beating up guys in white t-shirts and jeans.  What?

I knew what Marvel Heroes Online was going to be when I started playing it.  But actually playing it made me way sadder for what we could have had- a fully-fledged Marvel MMO.  If this game fails, which I kind of predict it will, I worry that we'll never get that golden Marvel MMO I've wanted since CoH first came out.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    This sets a new record as the fastest I have ever deleted a game.  DC Universe Online walks all over it.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    If I could take this games skill system and fuse it into DCUO's world I would be a happy camper. The overall skill system in DCUO always felt rather dull to me, a lot of weird effects and things that weren't even explained well.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by JonestownJuice

What I wanted was to make my own hero and rub shoulders with Marvel's iconic heroes- exploring the city, fighting crime.  Maybe starting off as a student at Xavier's Academy for the Gifted or the Avengers Initiative.  Nope.  Instead you play AS one of the iconic heroes.  Which sounds cool at first until you're in the game and everyone else is playing the same guy.  There's literally an army of Daredevils (my favorite hero), Hawkeyes, Scarlet Witches...  It's weird.  It's jarring.

And i want to play as Spiderman, Ironman and the actual heroes, instead of knock-off that i can make.

I do agree that this game is better as a SP online game like D3, so you won't see many spidermen running around. But no .. don't make it like DCUO. The only reason i don't play that game is that i don't want to play a real super hero knock-off.

• OzzilupoOzzilupo Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I do agree that this game is better as a SP online game like D3, so you won't see many spidermen running around. But no .. don't make it like DCUO. The only reason i don't play that game is that i don't want to play a real super hero knock-off.

So those of us that use to played City Of Heroes/villains  made knockoffs your logic is weird. I made my own back story customized my outfit to my liking and worked along side the game story's heroes to take down both NPC and player villains. you must not be a roleplayer if you lack imagination to only want to play as iconic figures.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    This sets a new record as the fastest I have ever deleted a game.  DC Universe Online walks all over it.

Well to be honest the only thing the two games share is that they both feature super-heroes so it is not really a fair to sya one walk over the other, apples and oranges and all that

But with that said, if you are not looking for a ARPG in the style of M:UA this games is not for you.

This have been a good conversation

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    It looked bad to start and only got worse. And  i like marvel over dc any day... Except with this game..
  • InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

I agree 100%. I want to make my own hero. I want to come up with a look, powers, and backstory. Iron Man is awesome, but he loses all that when there's 500 copies of him running around. Also, it's incredibly silly to see him & all these other heroes have trouble defeating a couple guys in blue jeans & wife beaters.

Maybe I should go give DCUO a try, even though I'm not much of a DC fan.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They made a cake. They market it as a cake...... and you're upset because you wanted them to make a pie.... Can't argue with that logic
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    If i came into this pretty much knowing it was Ultimate Alliance online will I be far less disappointed?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by VGameOzz

So those of us that use to played City Of Heroes/villains  made knockoffs your logic is weird. I made my own back story customized my outfit to my liking and worked along side the game story's heroes to take down both NPC and player villains. you must not be a roleplayer if you lack imagination to only want to play as iconic figures.

Pretty much what I would have said.  I can't understand wanting to play as an iconic anything, would always rather make my own unique characters.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

this is all i needed to see.  RPS review.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/06/a-few-more-hours-with-marvel-heroes/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/17/hands-on-marvel-heroes/#more-135738

Bear in mind one of the RPS writers is ALSO A WRITER FOR MARVEL.  

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Pretty much what I would have said.  I can't understand wanting to play as an iconic anything, would always rather make my own unique characters.

My own characters in CoX, CO & DCUO were/are all special snowflakes, and yet CoX was full of Hulk & Wolverine etc, 'inspired' characters - there is a strong desire among a lot of people to play iconic characters; this game is just tapping into that market.; I'd have preferred a Marvel-themed DCUO/CoX/CO  where I could be an individual, but we didn't get that, so I take it for what it is.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

uh? You never play X-men Legends? Marvel Ultimate Alliance? Batman Arkham Asylum/City? Injustice? Playing as an iconic super hero is big in gaming. Don't tell me you don't know that.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

This game is pretty much nothing like Ultimate Alliance... I don't get the constant comparisons. It is, however, a reskinned Diablo 2 (more like 3, I guess), with a slightly less extensive talent system... and that is actually fine with me, and it is exactly as it has been advertised for at least a year.

With just Hawkeye, I've been having a lot of fun. My concern is what happens after the main story is complete; I haven't heard anything about more difficult content or whatever... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I will say that I would rather it be a single player/online co-op game, with a regular box price; but oh well.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I get what the OP is saying. I guess I could sort of go both ways on a game like this. Like many I have my fan favorite Villan and Hero's. I also enjoy fleshing out my own Super-Villans / Hero.

I'm both a fan of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance titles as well as I put in some good time with DCUO on my PS3. Made a guy with a pretty nice outfit customed out with different looks and colours as well as a little backstory in my head of how he came to be.

There's still hope for another upper-tier Super Hero MMO the likes of Champions Online and etc. Maybe we'll get something that takes on either one of the conepts and achieves a new level in gameplay for it.

That's what gaming is about for most of us here tho and other forums like this.. That search for the NEXT BIG THING..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I don't think Marvel Heroes is for die hard Marvel fans anyway.  In my opinion, it's for people that enjoy ARPG games and have a casual interest in Marvel.  The kind of people that have seen a couple movies or played a game here and there.  It's essentially just Marvel Ultimate Alliance meets Diablo made MMO.  The mechanics are more like Diablo than anything due to the lead developer being the co-creator of Diablo.  Think of it as an attempt to bring the Marvel franchise to a wider audience rather than an attempt to please veterans.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that you hate it because you're a huge Marvel fan.  It's actually a pretty fun game if you just think of it as another ARPG.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

When I heard that there was going to be a Marvel Heroes game, I got excited.  Apart from Star Wars Galaxies,  I've spent the most amount of time in Super Hero games,  CoX,  CO, and DCUO  (not counting PS:O/U).

When information was released on the format, it immediately put me off, but as I was a fan of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, I thought it might still become a great game.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a miss on almost all cylinders here.  It doesn't bring to life The Marvel Universe for me, and I am first and foremost a Marvel Fan.   

It saddens me that this game won't really hold a candle to DCUO - and DCUO while a great game overall still has its fair share of issues and is by no means perfect.  I still believe there is a huge market for an Online Marvel Game, but I just don't think this one is gong to hit that market.   I think all of this effort would have best been spent making a sequel to the console alliance games.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

After all the ups and downs of hearing about the original Marvel MMO, its cancellation, then being picked up again by Gazillion.  Filled with hope that at last I would be able to explore Marvel's New York City and beyond.

Don't get me wrong, I love that game.  But it's a bit cooler when it's you and your friends playing.  And you don't expect much from it, really.  It's just a beat 'em up.  When the Marvel MMO was in production I wasn't thinking, "Man, I hope it's exactly like MUA but online."

I've always wanted to explore Hell's Kitchen as a huge Daredevil fan.  When I finally got the chance in this game it made me hang my head and slump my shoulders.  You just go around this weirdly-designed neighborhood where there aren't any people beating up guys in white t-shirts and jeans.  What?

I knew what Marvel Heroes Online was going to be when I started playing it.  But actually playing it made me way sadder for what we could have had- a fully-fledged Marvel MMO.  If this game fails, which I kind of predict it will, I worry that we'll never get that golden Marvel MMO I've wanted since CoH first came out.

A Marvel MMO died a long time ago.  This isn't a MMO, has not be advertised to be a MMO.  It's a UA sequel with better multiplayer support and a very D2 feel to it.

I like it for what it is but than I'm not asking it to try and be something it was never intended to be.

Not that I wouldn't love a true Marvel MMO to be made, this is just not it.

And comparing this game to DCUO is like comparing Skyrim to COD.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Originally posted by udon

A Marvel MMO died a long time ago.  This isn't a MMO, has not be advertised to be a MMO.  It's a UA sequel with better multiplayer support and a very D2 feel to it.

I like it for what it is but than I'm not asking it to try and be something it was never intended to be.

Not that I wouldn't love a true Marvel MMO to be made, this is just not it.

And comparing this game to DCUO is like comparing Skyrim to COD.

I don't consider that to be a correct statement.  These aren't two entirely different Genres.  They are both ARPGs in a way. Not two entirely different Genres.

The game is what it is,  and personally I don't feel it even lives up to Ultimate Alliance itself.. and wouldn't consider it to be a worthy sequel.  I think they could have handled this much better.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

First of all this game is ARPG, not an MMO really, and if you look at it that way it can certainly offer a certain amount of fun, free of charge., although it has to be said that the drop rate of heroes/costumes is very low indeed, plus the game has some other problems but i'm hoping that will improve in time.

On the up side it resembles to Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends with a Diablo style gameplay and great art in story cutscenes, and of course it has Marvel superheroes which is a big plus for a lot of people.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    at OP , same here. big marvel fan. hate the game.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

After all the ups and downs of hearing about the original Marvel MMO, its cancellation, then being picked up again by Gazillion.  Filled with hope that at last I would be able to explore Marvel's New York City and beyond. What I got was Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Don't get me wrong, I love that game.  But it's a bit cooler when it's you and your friends playing.  And you don't expect much from it, really.  It's just a beat 'em up.  When the Marvel MMO was in production I wasn't thinking, "Man, I hope it's exactly like MUA but online." What I wanted was to make my own hero and rub shoulders with Marvel's iconic heroes- exploring the city, fighting crime.  Maybe starting off as a student at Xavier's Academy for the Gifted or the Avengers Initiative.  Nope.  Instead you play AS one of the iconic heroes.  Which sounds cool at first until you're in the game and everyone else is playing the same guy.  There's literally an army of Daredevils (my favorite hero), Hawkeyes, Scarlet Witches...  It's weird.  It's jarring. I've always wanted to explore Hell's Kitchen as a huge Daredevil fan.  When I finally got the chance in this game it made me hang my head and slump my shoulders.  You just go around this weirdly-designed neighborhood where there aren't any people beating up guys in white t-shirts and jeans.  What? I knew what Marvel Heroes Online was going to be when I started playing it.  But actually playing it made me way sadder for what we could have had- a fully-fledged Marvel MMO.  If this game fails, which I kind of predict it will, I worry that we'll never get that golden Marvel MMO I've wanted since CoH first came out.

For such a "Huge Marvel Fan" you obviously paid no attention to any articles or information about this game over the last 2 years. MH is no more a traditional MMO than Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. It is not trying to compete with DCUO or COH. So you hate it because you are dissapointed in the type of game it is... You should have known well before now.

When I first played the MH beta I was thinking it was not for me but over time it has grown on me & despite a few dissapointments with some rubbish character designs (Punisher needs a total rework of mechanics) I am quite enjoying it for what it is.
  • OzzilupoOzzilupo Member UncommonPosts: 13

uh? You never play X-men Legends? Marvel Ultimate Alliance? Batman Arkham Asylum/City? Injustice? Playing as an iconic super hero is big in gaming. Don't tell me you don't know that.

I've played those games great single player games but when I think of MMORPG or MMOARPG as MHO is I would much rather be my own mutant X-MEN or Join the Brotherhood Of Evil fighting along side my favorite iconic heroes or villains then seeing multiples of the same iconic hero on my screen. If you enjoy playing as Iconic figures then stick to single player or co-op games but a majority of MMO's you need some imagination and work along side the games iconic figures.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

After a bit of research into the game, and reading a few reviews too, i came to the conclusion that if your really into Superhero MMO's then this isnt the game your looking for, though tbh, since COH/COV was shut down, i don't know what is image

This isnt just a really bad game, its a really bad cash grab, and by bad i mean high costs and low value for money, the intention can only be to get as much as they can before people realise just how bad this game really is image

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Eventually, folks are just going to get tired of waiting for Marvel to get it right.

This doesn't really sound like the final output of roughly seven years of reboots and re-started efforts, does it?