Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wanted to vomit.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Nothing dies as fast as a F2P game. How long does it take before 90% of the playerbase has bailed on an F2P game? 6 minutes? 7?

Maybe we should ask that guy from this forum who keeps hopping from MMO to MMO how long he stays in an F2P, I bet he's onto another MMO before the evening is over.

And we can hop back when there is new content. Hopping is great.

This is exactly why there are so many crappy MMOs right now......

One man's "crappy" mmo is another man's fun.

And there are so many fun ones. Otherwise, why do you think i hop around?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Nothing dies as fast as a F2P game. How long does it take before 90% of the playerbase has bailed on an F2P game? 6 minutes? 7?

Maybe we should ask that guy from this forum who keeps hopping from MMO to MMO how long he stays in an F2P, I bet he's onto another MMO before the evening is over.

because their only fun for 5 minutes perhaps ?

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Hop...around...MMORPGs...?

Defeating the purpose.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Murugan 

Every subscription MMO I have played with the exception of SOE titles has had regular content updates provided to the core game.  Expansions are separate from that (they also should be designed and worked on by a different team from the one providing patches), and many F2P developers have expansions too. 

I never said you didn't have content updates in your subscription game, nor did i say F2P games didn't use the money to develop new microtransaction goods.

"Expansions are separate from that (they also should be designed and worked on by a different team from the one providing patches)"

It sounds like you're basing your entire argument on how you feel they should be done rather than how they are done. I'm not familiar of a studio that does that, so it seems your point that subscription expansions are separate is false and irrelevant. Are there studios that bring on a separate team to create their expansions?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Phry

because their only fun for 5 minutes perhaps ?

I choose quality over quantity. A fun 5 min is better than a mediocre boring 2 years.

Most games actually last weeks .. much longer than SP games, for the price of zero. And so what if it last only a while, there are more where they come from.

Originally posted by Mkilbride

Hop...around...MMORPGs...?

Defeating the purpose.

Not if the purpose is to have fun. MMORPGs are entertainment products, are they not?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Waterlilly

"nothing dies as fast as a f2p game"?

How come planetside 2 is still going strong then? 3/4 million unique logins per week 6 months after launch.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Waterlilly

How come planetside 2 is still going strong then? 3/4 million unique logins per week 6 months after launch.

Didn't they announce server mergers 3 months after launch? I think they did.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Game hopping is bad.  Why?  Because they said so.  

On the one hand players complain about a lack of community, and on the other hand they think game hopping is great.

Is adding one and two together so hard.

As opposed to all the games, but WoW, who haven't announced server merges in the first few months after launch?

EQ was still growing and adding servers until GoD, that's 5 years after launch.

Planetside halves servers after 3 months and people call it a success.

Waterlilly

I will add LoL, WoT, LOTRO, DDO, DCUO ....

There are plenty of successes. Heck, the biggest online game is F2P .. bigger than WOW.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Eir_S

And I think there's always going to be the Gun Jumping contingent that feel that simply because someone doesn't want to pay means they can't.  Fortunately, you're wrong and subs are going the way of the dodo either way.

And who can blame you people. You have 1001 shallow and meaningless F2P to choose from.

Care showing us some examples of these dead F2P MMOS? do you know what is ironic about your post? it was P2P MMOS that went F2P because they were all shallow and meaningless. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

On the one hand players complain about a lack of community, and on the other hand they think game hopping is great.

Who complains about lack of community? I don't play games for "in-game" community. I do that for fun. And yes, game hopping is great.

Plus, i can have a community across games. It is not like i cannot play different games with the same friends.

Torv
    Yeah they launched with too many servers. They shut some a month or so later not 3 months in.

Still 3/4million unique players per week is strong going, that's more than eve. probably only wow and gw2 as western mmos with more players.

you can see for yourself in soes end of march accounts.
  • shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

the good thing about the guy making a stand against subscription is that I wont have to run into these guys in any game.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by shinkan

the good thing about the guy making a stand against subscription is that I wont have to run into these guys in any game.

'these people'? you are being very vague. You make it sound as if P2P communities are full of angels. I will just give you examples of the two most rotten P2P communities.

WOW

Eve Online.

Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Who complains about lack of community? I don't play games for "in-game" community. I do that for fun. And yes, game hopping is great.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is why F2P are garbage.

Yeah because we know that it is an irrefutable FACT that all players who play P2P games do so for the community..right? image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Planetside 2 didn't half the servers. They merged about a quarter of them a month after launch. They were underpopulated from the start, I was on lithcorp, only had action on indar during the first 2 months.

Unique logins per week is a far more reliable measure of success than server merges or creating of new servers. Games can always launch with too many or too few servers.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Uh, those two arguments are usually voiced by two completely different groups of players.

As far as F2P die faster than any other option goes, lets look at the facts we can see, DDO, LOTRO, AOC, and others, the P2P model was short lived, while the F2P option has kept these games afloat much longer than P2P would have.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Also waterlilly

Planetside 2 is sonys most successful mmo in terms of concurrent players.

There are more people playing ps2 today, than were playing eq1 at its peak. 50% more.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Waterlilly

Something tells me it's more to do with it being a FPS than an MMO.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Waterlilly

No doubt F2P FPS are popular. May be devs should make fewer "proper" MMOs now.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by shinkan

'these people'? you are being very vague. You make it sound as if P2P communities are full of angels. I will just give you examples of the two most rotten P2P communities.

WOW

Eve Online.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Who complains about lack of community? I don't play games for "in-game" community. I do that for fun. And yes, game hopping is great.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is why F2P are garbage.

Yeah because we know that it is an irrefutable FACT that all players who play P2P games do so for the community..right? image

He didn't even imply that P2P games are full of angels, but like him, I find F2P game audiences to be much, much more annoying than those attracted to games made for the subscription model.

I also find that when a developer focuses more on gameplay rather than the cash shop, it builds and sustains a feeling of community far better than any game I've played that focuses on revenue from their cash shop.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Waterlilly

Something tells me it's because it's really the only true MMO-FPS, aside from it's predecessor.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia
    Waterlilly

Something tells me it's because it's really the only true MMO-FPS, aside from it's predecessor.

The point being that FPS have always been more popular and garner a wider appeal over-all than RPGs.  Slapping MMO mechanics on that does nothing to change that fact.

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

There will always be someone who wants something for nothing I suppose.

I haven't come across a F2P game yet that I would write home about.  There's a reason they are free, after all.   

I would much rather pay $15 a month for a quality MMORPG than float from f2p to f2p looking for the next game to replace the fond memories I had playing sub-modeled games.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.