Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

62% player retention rate is amazing!

Comments

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Greymoor
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Greymoor
    There aren't many games the offer what DFUW does. If you're not into space-themed gamed, what else is there?

What rare features does Darkfall offer? Other than the dubious claim that it's sandboxy-ish what is there?

Not exactly an ideal sandbox but the game does offer a high degree of freedom.

But FFA-PvP, Full loot, FPS aiming, housing/player cities with sieges and conquest. Simple as really. Other games don't offer this.

You're right all those things are in DF:UW. However you need to explain/provide more details:

• FFA-PvP is something you will find outside the safezones. With safezones, the thrill of never ever being 100% safe has been removed.
    • Housing is a joke. All plots are in static villages. The number of plots is very limited, most players will never be able to place a house. Houses do not have a function, other than an extra teleport. Houses are not destructable, so nobody will ever fight for them.
    • Sieges could be cool. Currently gather 15+ players and people will randomly start to disconnect. I also played at the DF1 launch, I remember being in 400 vs 400 battles. I remember riding with 100+ people to engage another alliance. I haven't read (or seen footage) a single story on the forums about an epic siege or battle happening in DF:UW.
    • Conquest is an even bigger joke. Currently the only conquest other than owning a city or Hamlet is capturing a village for short period of time. You cannot set taxes, you do not gain any benefits by owning a village. You get about 9 gold per tick as reward. They buffed the cities a little in a recent patch. Crafters receive a discount on their gold cost and a slight increase in skill gain. That's conquest in a nutshell.

But you mentioned freedom? What do you mean by freedom? Currently there are 4 roles to choose from. Each role has 2 schools. The only difference between a build is one skill. As everyone is entitled to pick 2 schools. A primary and secondary school. The primary school will unlocks that "one" skill (called ultimate). Even when they add all 4 schools in, you only will see a few different builds. Why? Because all schools will lock out one school. So you will only encounter people with the following combination  A-B, A-D, B-A, B-C, C-B, C-D and D-A. Okay you can pick a different booster, but I do not believe many people will go for intellect on their warrior, skirmisher or primalist.

Gear? Not much freedom there either. Can I have an unique look? Nope all armors look the same. Can I wear leather on my warrior? No, because it is restricted to skirmishers only.

Can I build my house in any location I want? No you cannot. There is some freedom in what you can place in your house. Can we build our city any place we want? No you cannot. Can we control the way our city looks like? No you cannot.

Harvesting is boring and almost mandatory if you want to have "endgame" gear. To think off it, harvesting is based around a very task. Find an untapped node and depending on your skill you can be afk for 7-12 mins. It's a little different outside the safezone as you can be jumped by baddies. But why harvest outside there as you can find everything inside the safezone?

Other games do not offer this?

• Mortal Online has all those features. It has its flaws, but hey ffa-pvp, full loot, fps aiming, housing, player cities, sieges, conquest, etc are there. It even has better crafting, it has taming and destructable player houses.
    • Dayz has ffa-pvp, full loot and fps aiming. Tents could be considered as player housing.
    • Ultima Online has most of the features you mentioned. 

tdlr;

If you enjoy ffa-pvp, friendly fire and fps aiming, yes DF:UW is your game. Every other feature is not working as intended, but they are working on it. One day DF:UW will reach its full potential. I really hope most players will wait till that day will arrive.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

Originally posted by Kshahdoo  

Originally posted by jdlamson75 I unsubbed the instant I saw that AV changed the date, but I subbed back up for the second month.  That said, I have unsubbed again, haven't logged in for more than two hours in the past week, and won't be logging in again.  I would say that more than half of my clan of 50 people is in the same boat - won't be resubbing, haven't been seen in weeks.     I gave AV a chance to bring more to the table, and I leave disappointed.  Oh well.  There's always Minecraft.
      But the game is full of players and my clan has around 40 people every evening in TS... There is nothing to play on the market anyway. It's only EVE and Darkfall. So if you don't play one of these games then you're just a wrong person for this market.
    And who are you to judge who is the right or wrong person for a given market? Keep deluding yourself about your crappy game and keep believing it is good. In the meantime I'll play a real MMO which doesn't ask for my credit card each month. I CHOOSE to give them my money and I obviously get more content for the $$ I give.

Enough said.

As to who am I to judge, I'm a professional. I've been writing about games for 13 years already, was an editor of a big Russian gaming magazine and work on a big Russian gaming site right now. I know something about games, but never question other people who are they to judge, btw...

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by jdlamson75 I unsubbed the instant I saw that AV changed the date, but I subbed back up for the second month.  That said, I have unsubbed again, haven't logged in for more than two hours in the past week, and won't be logging in again.  I would say that more than half of my clan of 50 people is in the same boat - won't be resubbing, haven't been seen in weeks.     I gave AV a chance to bring more to the table, and I leave disappointed.  Oh well.  There's always Minecraft.
      But the game is full of players and my clan has around 40 people every evening in TS... There is nothing to play on the market anyway. It's only EVE and Darkfall. So if you don't play one of these games then you're just a wrong person for this market.
    And who are you to judge who is the right or wrong person for a given market? Keep deluding yourself about your crappy game and keep believing it is good. In the meantime I'll play a real MMO which doesn't ask for my credit card each month. I CHOOSE to give them my money and I obviously get more content for the $$ I give.

Enough said.

As to who am I to judge, I'm a professional. I've been writing about games for 13 years already, was an editor of a big Russian gaming magazine and am working on a big Russian gaming site right now. I know something about games, but never question other people who are they to judge, btw...

not trying to bash you, but there are a ton of Gaming Magazines out there that are full of crap and just because you claim to be a Professional Reviewer, Doesn't make you good at it.  Example - A popular Gaming Magazine {Won't use it's Name} Reviewed God Of War and Claimed that  Clash of the Titans ripped off the ideas for the movie from the God of War Game. REALLY??? He was a professional too. So throwing around your credentials that you really can't prove here, means nothing.

But I am sure your good at your job.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

While i have no problem buying those numbers, seeing how the game relies pretty much exclusively on former customers to make up the player base people are well informed on what they are getting, they do not get much "foot traffic" per se. Now the interesting question is are those 50 odd percent enough to keep the game afloat. After all they could have 100% retention rate.. it does not matter if the number making up those 100% is 20 players

I do honestly wish them the best of luck, i really enjoyed my time in Ultima Online back in the days, and while i would not touch a game like that with a 20 foot pole again i would never rob anyone of the experience.

This have been a good conversation

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    Originally posted by sabotage23
    Game is a piece of crap, i regret wasteing $30 bucks on this junk. I dont know how anyone can play this, its like a game from the 1990's with its crappy animations and graphics.

Game from 90's:

Unholy wars:

What most gaymers play:

I think I see a major difference there.

So what you are saying is that UW looks better than Ultima, but worse than WoW. That's not exactly a glowing review.

Thats not what he is saying but WoW is cartoony and Darkfall is realistic is matter of taste.

OP is just huge fan and lost his perspective and dont concider others maybe have other taste.

Obejectivity and open mind is what most don't have here on mmorpg even when your fan you still should see good and bad be honest about it instead overly unrealistic fanboisme.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    This game is complete garbage. I played DF1 at release and went through all the pains of trying to get my members into the game when they only released limited keys per day. Then we moved to NA and it went downhill from there. Like an idiot, I paid the $30 or whatever for access to DF2 and it sucked. There is no possible way this has a 62% retention rate, I would be more likely to believe a 0.62%.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I dont the DF and eve are greifing comments above,everyone knows they are ffa games before signing up. Theres ecconomy reasons to fight, its not the same thing as wow pvp servers where there's no reason to pvp, so most "pvp" is just bigguys ganking newbs for shits and giggles.

I really don't get it with ps2. How the hell is it possible to grief in a game with no pve that is 100% pvp?
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Actual proof of those numbers would be great, or at the very least a source. Granted the source could be BS, but its at least something to feel the OP at least didn't pull the number from their arse, even if someone else might of did it for them to take.

Any numbers you get unless exactly (and even then it can try counting a player who 'logged on' so to speak for 1 second to unsubscribe as counting as a number) are used as marketting ploys, often times done in a more manipulative manor in order to promote the game. Its very rare its actually "true".

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Adokas

Originally posted by jdlamson75
    I unsubbed the instant I saw that AV changed the date, but I subbed back up for the second month.  That said, I have unsubbed again, haven't logged in for more than two hours in the past week, and won't be logging in again.  I would say that more than half of my clan of 50 people is in the same boat - won't be resubbing, haven't been seen in weeks.

I gave AV a chance to bring more to the table, and I leave disappointed.  Oh well.  There's always Minecraft.

Enough said.

And who are you to judge what a real MMO is? <_<

I don't know, by definition MMOs should be games with more than 1000 players online to earn the title "MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE" game. Also that MMO should have a nice art style, gameplay and no scamming business model (regardless of F2P, P2P, B2P - it should not scam) ... I suppose we can all agree on that, right? 

Enough said.

As to who am I to judge, I'm a professional. I've been writing about games for 13 years already, was an editor of a big Russian gaming magazine and work on a big Russian gaming site right now. I know something about games, but never question other people who are they to judge, btw...

That doesn't give you the right to judge who should play a type of game. Everybody can work in a gaming magazine, or have a blog. That doesn't grant them the right to judge. Now go back and right in your little gaming mag and spare us your opinion, because from what you have said so far, ultimately - nobody cares 

PS: Even if you work for IGN / Machinima / GameSpot ... saying what you said earlier would have you fired on the spot, so yeah ... you are nobody on the internet :) 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Industry standard for buy-to-end-of-first-month (first sub charge) is 40%

Source please.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

All you darkfall players were scammed, hard, into buying and paying monthly for an alpha testing of a game in a possible Pre-alpha state.

What is even sadder is that 100% of you deny this so strongly you end up actually believing your it. All you had to do was look at the history of the first game then logically come to the conclusion that this second game was going to be more of the same.

So this game offers you Free For All Lies, Full Loot of Deceit, and freedom you scam you out of your hard earned money.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Flex1

All you darkfall players were scammed, hard, into buying and paying monthly for an alpha testing of a game in a possible Pre-alpha state.

What is even sadder is that 100% of you deny this so strongly you end up actually believing your it. All you had to do was look at the history of the first game then logically come to the conclusion that this second game was going to be more of the same.

So this game offers you Free For All Lies, Full Loot of Deceit, and freedom you scam you out of your hard earned money.

You sound mad bro.

Originally posted by Flex1

QFT, couldn't said it any better. And here I thought WoW was brainwashing xD Couldn't have I been more wrong

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48

I don't know if I was "scammed" or not, all I know is that no other MMORPG I have tried in the past few months and years, has come close to keeping me involved with and invested in my character as I am with my DFUW character.

It's a shame, but those are the anonymity swamps of the Internet, that people make such crass and sweeping statements that are not even close to being in touch with reality, and however scare away potential players.

Why do so many begrudge the fun that some players are having? Why try to bring down a game that you clearly don't enjoy playing, yet keep coming back to to complain about? Live and let live.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by sabotage23
    Game is a piece of crap, i regret wasteing $30 bucks on this junk. I dont know how anyone can play this, its like a game from the 1990's with its crappy animations and graphics.

Pretty much this, although I didn't waste $30 on it. 

Terrible game is terrible.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

The irony of a DF player saying "Live and let live"

Cannot be lost on anyone.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Sounds like there are a lot of people in this thread don't like Darkfall.  Oh well, there are plenty of other games for you to try. 

As to OP, I'm curious where you got your numbers.  It does seem to match up with our guilds retention rate though.  A few people leave and a few more never log on.  Probably closer to a 70% retention rate.  This is just a small sample though.  I imagine a person trying to do it on their own would have a much tougher go at it and have a lower sub retention rate.

I'm still having a blast though.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I guess the only numbers we can really look at are the steam ones..

http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1m

but of course the numbers are puny on steam max was just over 500 at launch and now on average they are hitting about 300 a day.

I don't know many people in my clan that are still playing.. i stopped after about a week i think a few did re-sub but are not playing.

Another clan that share our mumble still look pretty active but i don't know if its just darkfall they play.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Azhook

How do you know its terrible if you didn't waste $30 on it?
    Originally posted by mmobootsy

I don't know if I was "scammed" or not, all I know is that no other MMORPG I have tried in the past few months and years, has come close to keeping me involved with and invested in my character as I am with my DFUW character.

It's a shame, but those are the anonymity swamps of the Internet, that people make such crass and sweeping statements that are not even close to being in touch with reality, and however scare away potential players.

Why do so many begrudge the fun that some players are having? Why try to bring down a game that you clearly don't enjoy playing, yet keep coming back to to complain about? Live and let live.

Because people like you are trying to shove it down our throats with lying topics like this one

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Azhook

How do you know its terrible if you didn't waste $30 on it?

My guess is he was an old DF1 account who got to play UW for the price of a sub fee from the limited time offer.  Probably also upset that you cannot macro by shooting in the are or swimming against a wall.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I'm not surprised their retention rate includes players charged by a quick switch of the pay date.

They have a history of fraudulent charges from the Darkfall 1 days even.

It's a company that should not be supported.  Just because there aren't many games like this one doesn't make this one quality or its company ethical.

Aventurine disgusts me really.  They almost constantly lie about dates and the state of the game.  It's pathetic and continuous.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

OP and anyone that has played DFUW knows for a fact that the "screenshot" is utterly unobtainable in game. Whereas UO and WoW are actual in game shots. Come on OP, if you have subbed why don't you go recreate it in game, and show us the real visuals.

DFUW is a bitter tragedy. DF was too, but at least at it's core it was good, just mismanaged. DFUW is terrible AND mismanaged still.

Love the AV apologists.. first it was an patch, then an expansion, then a new game but we'd have it for free, then they said we'd get the free month for buying AND a FREE MONTH on top. Then they took the free month, leaving 2 days for people to realize and cancel, and didn't tell a fucking soul, more than half the subs probably think they are still on free time.

How the fuck anyone can justify that, even to a mere 1k subs...

DF will always amaze me at how such a poor company managed to produce a potential runaway hit, and then proceed to shit on it until it's dead. TWICE

Originally posted by wartyxwt

DF will always amaze me at how such a poor company managed to produce a potential runaway hit, and then proceed to shit on it until it's dead. TWICE

Yes, it certainly does show an appetite for this niche.  The company that gets it right, will be the next EvE-like hit.