Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Example of Sandbox I've Found

ro8terro8ter Member Posts: 23

Using the metaphor of the four boards and sand kind of sandbox found in many playgrounds, this Minecraft server [url=http://www.westeroscraft.com]http://www.westeroscraft.com[/url] has been featured in Time magazine and now on [url=http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1fjxll/my_minecraft_server_got_into_the_latest_time/]reddit.com[/url]  They make cities depicted in Game of Thrones.  There is a 100 user Minecraft server. 

If you don't have something that simulates sand, how can you have a sandbox?

Comments

• ro8terro8ter Member Posts: 23

And check out this player built survival complex:

http://imgur.com/a/KYoSu

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Wow, holy hell. That is impressive! That is seriously, seriously cool. Puts my puny cabin with waterfall cave in Minecraft to shame XD
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Holy cats that's awesome. And crazy.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Where the frack do people get this kind of time?!?

It's amazing work!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

there a video guide of that world?

also what gameplay is there in that world for players coming into it?

are other players restricted from building?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Can this level of sandbox be done in a full MMO?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I've seen some pretty amazing stuff come out of the sandboxy-style housing Rift has but that's awesome.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    That is simply amazing! Thanks for the link.:)
  • travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

It would take my entire lifetime just to clear the ground to build that city.

I now think my cabin sucks ass. Thanks a lot.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Creations like this are impressive, but they are essentially static art objects.  Although I like mentioning Minecraft as food for thought and I can gape in awe at these renders, projects like this are not really what I have in mind when I think about the future of sandboxes.

Most such projects are not really an emergent product of sandbox gameplay, just a render of an object in a sandbox using the blocks as pixels.  Also,Minecraft is bumping up against the limits that you can create ships but not set them in motion, create cities, but not populate them.

• ro8terro8ter Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by maplestone

Creations like this are impressive, but they are essentially static art objects.  Although I like mentioning Minecraft as food for thought and I can gape in awe at these renders, projects like this are not really what I have in mind when I think about the future of sandboxes.

Most such projects are not really an emergent product of sandbox gameplay, just a render of an object in a sandbox using the blocks as pixels.  Also,Minecraft is bumping up against the limits that you can create ships but not set them in motion, create cities, but not populate them.

With this version of Minecraft, yes many things are static, but the next version may allow things like moveable ships etc.

Minecraft has sold 10 million PC copies in the US alone.  There is definitely something there for future MMOs to consider.

Let's put the sand in "sandbox" MMOs.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by ro8ter

There is definitely something there for future MMOs to consider.

I agree.