Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After WOW which MMO's you regret and not regret spending $ on?

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Spent money on, No regrets:

AOC - Well worth the amount spent just for Tortage.  No longer playing.

ROM - Sort of fun, never made it past mid-level.  No longer playing.

GW1 - Mega value, even with item shop.  Filled up my character slots.  Still play occasionally.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Can I regret spending money on WoW?

Regrets:

Aion, GW2, Anything put out by NcSoft (Except Tabula Rasa, for some reason I REALLY liked that even with all the glitches), Eve (When I purchased it I was looking for a completely different game, and now it has colored my judgement)

Not regretting

Rift, for how much I hated Wow, this "WoW clone" lets me play my character how I want to play it. My "hunter" is not required to have a pet, which historically has screwed up raids anyway with their ability to see through walls sometimes.  It also lets each fill multiple roles easily, no need to "level a tank or a DPS" the soul system lets me just swap as I see fit for any situation.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Regret spending money on:

- Vanguard, the worst MMO ever made

- Defiance, the most boring, content-lacking MMO ever made

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Regret:

EVE - got 3 months of sub and played one day. After that logged only to work on skills, no idea why as I do not intend to resub.

WoW - played one day - what a waste.

Rift - started to play  at launch and played maybe a week.

Aion - played maybe 3 days

AoC - played maybe a week.

Regret NOT:

SWTOR - currently the only MMO I play and the absolute favorite. Sometimes I think that it was created just for me:) 100% match. Over 2,300 hours played so far.

TSW - played it for 2 weeks but I am going to revisit in one day (maybe), it was worth $15 I spent on it.

EQ2 - totally worth it. Played from 2004 to 2011.

LOTRO - although I played it only few months, I enjoyed it at the launch. Totally unplayable right now though. I have life sub. Maybe one day I revisit, but I seriously doubt it. The only thing I like right now about game is the world. Characters are awful, combat is awful, no voiceover after SWTOR is a no no....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ____________________________________________________________________________________ Regret spending $ on:

-Vanguard: Saga Of Heroes

-Rift

-Swtor

-Aion

It was worth it for:

-Ragnarok

-Eve

-Guild Wars

-Warhammer Online

-Dc Universe Online

-Guild Wars 2

-The Secret World

Still playing it?

Still playing Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World.

Playing anything else now?

League Of Legends

If so until when?

I'm playing Guild Wars 2 since beta(958 hours gameplay). And I think I will play this game until shut down.And if Warhammer Online goes f2p, I will play it till I die. It's not that I don't want to pay or whatever. But there isn't enough player base for me to go back. I wish it will be f2p someday... ____________________________________________________________________________________

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Kind of regret getting Rift's Expansion.

glad I got Vanilla Rift, and GW2

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Why restrict it "after WoW"?

Regret spending $ on: Vanguard; Saga of Heroes - Very dull, unoriginal, grindy, had a lot of timesinks and buggy even after the fans hailed

Vanguard unoriginal? Good lord. One of the most inaccurate things I've read on this forum.

I regret spending years of time in the Middle Earth Online community, and spending money on LotRO.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Why restrict it "after WoW"?

Regret spending $ on: Vanguard; Saga of Heroes - Very dull, unoriginal, grindy, had a lot of timesinks and buggy even after the fans hailed

Vanguard unoriginal? Good lord. One of the most inaccurate things I've read on this forum.

I regret spending years of time in the Middle Earth Online community, and spending money on LotRO.

I agree..

scratching my head on that one..

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

REGRET:

AoC - as has been noted if the entire game had played out like Tortage i would probably be still playing that game. i have actually gone back a time or two since f2p and just played through it again.

at this point i think that's the only one i continue to regret to this day.

NOT REGRET:

all the games on my list found in my profile that i had to spend money on.

Vanguard was actually one of the best deals ever. i got the CE for 9.95 from amazon.com and have played that game off and on for ages. well worth the price.

i was afraid that my bday present Defiance i would regret. i add this one because it was a pleasant surprise. but it was purchased at a pretty good price and frankly i have racked up more hours in the last week than i ever thought i would. staying power? not at its current content level. but overall i am enjoying the experience.

i will admit to being initially disappointed with Rift, but have found that since launch i still occasionally pay for a month and login to play.

there are a number of games i really considered getting, but at their launch decided to wait and see. otherwise this list would be a lot longer. i think a combination of feeling screwed by the changes in SWG and later the launch of the ill prepared AoC, probably helped me avoid some bad purchases.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

Regret:

SWTOR

Vanguard: SOH

WOW

No Regrets:

SWG

Age of Conan

Still Playing:

Planetside 2

Star Trek Online

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Dont regret any money spent on wow -- regrets Rift SWTOR and GW2.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Regret:

Runes of Magic

Regret:

Runes of Magic

and oh yeah......

Regret:

Runes of Magic

• ThaddeusPLThaddeusPL Member UncommonPosts: 12

Regret any $ spend on mmo like WoW. after WoW quality of any mmo goes down and WoW started it. Graphics is not the most wanted thing in mmo, only diversity of your character/s. And WoW killed it at start.

Never regret any $ spend on Anarchy Online. 12 years old game and still don't know everything about AO. And still online in AO.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I regret WoW.  I feel less intelligent every time I mentally read the word "wow" after playing that game.

I regret taking a break from EVE years ago.  I haven't repeated that mistake since then.

I lit a five dollar bill on fire while being video taped in order to upload it to youtube.  It was never uploaded, and I regret literally burning that five dollars far less than I regret WoW.

I don't mean any offense here, obviously there are people who get endless satisfaction out of repetition that leads to paid obsolescence.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

I regret buying loads

sto when released

rift storm legion..one grindfest like no other..although overall the game is great.

swtor..have to say this was shocking..and the worst looking mmo I ever seen..anymore than a few onscreen and it was originally a lagfest

gods and heroes..omg I loved the concept of this game and the community officer was fantastic(now with EA I believe..her name was danicia).game totally not ready at all.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Regret spending $ on: STO

It was worth it for: Aion, Tera, SWTOR

Still playing it? WOW, POE, D3,

Playing anything else now? MTGO

If so until when? ESO

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52

Hah, WoW isn't and won't be on my regrets list because I've never bought into the garbage, though I wanted to long ago.

I don't really regret buying anything that I have bought in the MMO department, though I do regret buying Call of Duty for the past year or so.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Regret wasting money on GW2. Best investment = GM account in TSW
  • ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85

Regret: SWTOR & Tera.

Do not regret: CoH/CoV and STO

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

My Regrets -

Every WOW expansion after TBC.

SWTOR (The biggest regret)

Aion (Should have known, Asian MMO)

Rift (Wow Clone)

Things I didn't regret -

GW2. At its heart, a decent game, but couldn't follow through with everything else.

Playing anything else now?

Nothing related to MMORPG's. Some RTS,FPS games.

Until when?

Judging by the upcoming releases.. Another few more years.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Regret spending $ on: Vanguard (can't remember was $60 I think back at release) GW2 (50 at release if I recall)

It was worth it for:  Vanguard: Nothing. GW2: Fluid, fun combat system, puzzles and exploration.

Still playing it? No

Playing anything else now? WoW, Minecraft

If so until when? Not sure, until either the legendary "WoW killer" is released  or TUG is released.

VG only one I've totally regretted. GW2 had its moments, but in the end it  had a boring story and I felt  no urge to log in after 2 months.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Since I stopped playing WoW, I've only played F2P games and gotten only stuff that I want. No regrets here.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

regret:  swtor

do not regret:  rift

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Played WoW beta....Never subbed or played it after that.

Regret spending money on : GW2 - Only played it for one session after release, thought it was dull/cluttered.

It was worth it for: UO/EQ - Played each for 6-8 years.

Still playing it: No MMO atm, may boot TSW back up soon.

Playing anything else now: Civ IV, Starcraft, LoL

If so until when:  Hopefully Everquest Next, if it is good and if they do not turn me off with it being f2p.  Looked at stuff for Wildstar, I don't get the hype, but I haven't spent a ton of time looking at it.  Archeage all depends on what Trion does with it.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I don't really have any MMO I bought after WoW that I did not feel like it was worth it. It is not hard to get 60$ of enjoymount out of an MMO. There are a few expansions I regret purchasing though. Those being: The latest EQ2 expansion (forgot name), MoP, and Storm Legion.