Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

DarkFall: Unholy Wars YES/NO?

2

Comments

  • DamediusDamedius Calgary, ABPosts: 346Member

    The game is one of the few games offering what it does.

    It is easier to play in a group, though a very persistent and dedicated person could be solo all the time. You wouldn't experience as much of the game, because you wouldn't be able to get involved with politics and sieging.

    The first hurdle you will have to overcome is the UI. This is the first hurdle which trips up people. They don't take the time to rebind their keys. Trying to play the game without rebinding your keys is like trying to ride a bicycle while pedaling with your hands.

    The second hurdle is getting ganked. Many people can not handle getting ganked. If this is you, don't buy this game. You need thick skin to play this game and succeed.

    If you can get pass the first two hurdles you will probably enjoy the game.

    Darkfall has been the only game to keep me coming back over the years. I have trouble playing any quest grinders at this point. My last attempt at Dragons Prophet only lasted a few hours, to level 17. The game had lots of interesting systems but at the end of the day, the quest grind caught me.

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    There is alot of issues with performance in bigger battles like sieges etc. I would hold of getting into it, until that is fixed. As it is now, and have been for over a month now, people get ping spikes and crashes like theres no tomorrow in sieges. Small scale PVP seems to work better though. And there ain't that much more to do in DFUW then PVP, and if that isn't working good, your left with pretty much nothing atm. 

    Well thank you, and everyone else, for their replies and helpful comments. Based off of what i've learned i'm going to have to hold off on DFUW for now and give Eve and possible Vanguard a try.

     

    Good decision. I think Eve is still the best game after many years.

  • KshahdooKshahdoo MoscowPosts: 553Member

    DF is like... Imagine you've come to a new place to live, and there is no roads there only directions. And you gonna buy a car. You have to chose from a whole lot of roadsters and other sportcars of the best world's brends or the only ugly "Niva" (Russian 4x4). What will you buy?

  • HotjazzHotjazz BalsfjordPosts: 742Member
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by dauntSilver

    Hell No We Wont Go!

    I played a couple weeks after it came out. You are required to craft to succeed. Er, not accurate. If you don't craft, you grind (and then end up crafting anyway). Yes, you do a lot of PvE fighting, but this almost always turns into PvP fighting. Everyone crafts. no need to trade items. Wrong again, the chat channels are constantly spammed with merchants.  gold is used solely for crafting.  Just as it is in almost all MMOs.  Then when you finally crafted the armor and weapons you want for pvp, your clan whines at you saying you aren't crafting what they need..If everyone crafts, why would the clan whine?  so you go back to chopping trees and picking berries again. then a month passes and you realized you played a game to gather twigs and berries all day and accomplished nothing, so you say "f it, im gonna go PvP." then you run out of the safe zone and get killed and lose everything. then you go back to picking berries. the end.

    Sounds like someone barely played the game at all. My experience hasn't been anything like that.

    My experience is like his, but I play on the EU server.

     

    The game is a big grind, and all I do is harvesting and killing boring NPCs. The pvp I get is usually against naked players with blessed newbie weapons. I`m part of a big clan, but the server feels empty. There is no politics, sieging or large battles on a regular basis.

    I closed my two alt account yesterday, but I have a house, so I`m holding on to my main a bit longer. I wont grind anymore, and will probably close my account if AV doesn`t focus on the pvp part and the grind. Right now there is no reason to pvp at all. The players do high damage naked, there is no need to siege anyone, no reason to fight over villages and the grind is long and boring.

     

    If AV doesn`t make a few moves soon, I fear the game will fade away like DF1 did.

     

  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by dauntSilver

    Hell No We Wont Go!

    I played a couple weeks after it came out. You are required to craft to succeed. Er, not accurate. If you don't craft, you grind (and then end up crafting anyway). Yes, you do a lot of PvE fighting, but this almost always turns into PvP fighting. Everyone crafts. no need to trade items. Wrong again, the chat channels are constantly spammed with merchants.  gold is used solely for crafting.  Just as it is in almost all MMOs.  Then when you finally crafted the armor and weapons you want for pvp, your clan whines at you saying you aren't crafting what they need..If everyone crafts, why would the clan whine?  so you go back to chopping trees and picking berries again. then a month passes and you realized you played a game to gather twigs and berries all day and accomplished nothing, so you say "f it, im gonna go PvP." then you run out of the safe zone and get killed and lose everything. then you go back to picking berries. the end.

    Sounds like someone barely played the game at all. My experience hasn't been anything like that.

    My experience is like his, but I play on the EU server.

     

    The game is a big grind, and all I do is harvesting and killing boring NPCs. The pvp I get is usually against naked players with blessed newbie weapons. I`m part of a big clan, but the server feels empty. There is no politics, sieging or large battles on a regular basis.

    I closed my two alt account yesterday, but I have a house, so I`m holding on to my main a bit longer. I wont grind anymore, and will probably close my account if AV doesn`t focus on the pvp part and the grind. Right now there is no reason to pvp at all. The players do high damage naked, there is no need to siege anyone, no reason to fight over villages and the grind is long and boring.

     

    If AV doesn`t make a few moves soon, I fear the game will fade away like DF1 did.

     

    Looks like I was pretty much spot on with a lot of what I saw coming based on my experience with this company the first go round...

  • KshahdooKshahdoo MoscowPosts: 553Member


    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by DavisFlight Originally posted by dauntSilver Hell No We Wont Go! I played a couple weeks after it came out. You are required to craft to succeed. Er, not accurate. If you don't craft, you grind (and then end up crafting anyway). Yes, you do a lot of PvE fighting, but this almost always turns into PvP fighting. Everyone crafts. no need to trade items. Wrong again, the chat channels are constantly spammed with merchants.  gold is used solely for crafting.  Just as it is in almost all MMOs.  Then when you finally crafted the armor and weapons you want for pvp, your clan whines at you saying you aren't crafting what they need..If everyone crafts, why would the clan whine?  so you go back to chopping trees and picking berries again. then a month passes and you realized you played a game to gather twigs and berries all day and accomplished nothing, so you say "f it, im gonna go PvP." then you run out of the safe zone and get killed and lose everything. then you go back to picking berries. the end.
    Sounds like someone barely played the game at all. My experience hasn't been anything like that.
    My experience is like his, but I play on the EU server.

     

    The game is a big grind, and all I do is harvesting and killing boring NPCs. The pvp I get is usually against naked players with blessed newbie weapons. I`m part of a big clan, but the server feels empty. There is no politics, sieging or large battles on a regular basis.

    I closed my two alt account yesterday, but I have a house, so I`m holding on to my main a bit longer. I wont grind anymore, and will probably close my account if AV doesn`t focus on the pvp part and the grind. Right now there is no reason to pvp at all. The players do high damage naked, there is no need to siege anyone, no reason to fight over villages and the grind is long and boring.

     

    If AV doesn`t make a few moves soon, I fear the game will fade away like DF1 did.

     


    Yesterday I was fighting vs warrior. I hit him for 24 and he hit me for 40. I wasn't naked - had banded and r30 GS. And I got 140 str and GS and mastery 100. He just had that much better gear. I can't understand all that naked thing. I remember Ginger used to whine in DF1 about naked killing him in full infernal with r60 sword

  • sanshi44sanshi44 BrisbanePosts: 1,088Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner
    Originally posted by Kilrain

    Might as well mention: 

    Many people dislike the control scheme for Darkfall. If you do, that's awesome, but if you don't then just check out ahkgaming , I have a script that makes the controls much more customizable and intuitive.

    Well thank you for your advice, I took the game and i'm currently downloading the game.  Like you, other MMO's just aren't cutting it, hopefully this game satisfies my cravings, lol. I'm pretty pumped, the game sounds awesome.

    I dont think youll regret it if current day MMOs arnt cutting it for you. I find DF somewhat closly resembals the older games WoW vanilla and before, It is quite immersive compared to new games and very social based, imo you should join a clan somewhat after joining the game it will go along way to have comrades you can depend on when a fight goes down not to mention if your not in a clan your missing out on the majority of what the game has/going to offer. One thing i will say about AV (the developers) they are an indy company and rather small so patches and content can be a little slow from what u may be use to.

    Ill probaly will still be playing this game until EQNext comes out (assuming SOE delivers on what there saying there doing)

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner
    Originally posted by Kilrain

    Might as well mention: 

    Many people dislike the control scheme for Darkfall. If you do, that's awesome, but if you don't then just check out ahkgaming , I have a script that makes the controls much more customizable and intuitive.

    Well thank you for your advice, I took the game and i'm currently downloading the game.  Like you, other MMO's just aren't cutting it, hopefully this game satisfies my cravings, lol. I'm pretty pumped, the game sounds awesome.

    I dont think youll regret it if current day MMOs arnt cutting it for you. I find DF somewhat closly resembals the older games WoW vanilla and before, It is quite immersive compared to new games and very social based, imo you should join a clan somewhat after joining the game it will go along way to have comrades you can depend on when a fight goes down not to mention if your not in a clan your missing out on the majority of what the game has/going to offer. One thing i will say about AV (the developers) they are an indy company and rather small so patches and content can be a little slow from what u may be use to.

    Ill probaly will still be playing this game until EQNext comes out (assuming SOE delivers on what there saying there doing)

    No! DFUW does not resemble vanilla WoW or UO in any way!

     

    95% of WoW's enjoyment comes from PvE activities (solo or grouped). 100% of DFUW enjoyment (if you like ganking) comes from group PvP.

     

    Therefore, you can enjoy playing 10 minutes WoW. But to enjoy DFUW requires over 1 hour of planned play.

  • skamperskamper Houston, TXPosts: 252Member

    Very few mentioning the grind.

     

    It completely turns you off when a basic set of R20 armor takes 1.5-2 hours to craft. When they lower the time it takes to get lower level gear, I will come back. And yes it does take that long from 0 materials to make 1 set of r20 banded armor. Not to mention adding in the time it takes to make a weapon to go with that.

     

    The pve grind is a little better now from what I hear with Round robin but it still can take you 4-5 hours to complete one feat. A lot of monster spawns in the game are 2-3 monsters on a 5-10 minute timer and increase slightly when you get a 3rd, and you need 185 to complete the feats. Most people park alts near spawns to increase the rate...

     

    Just read the game forums, or ask actual players if you're on the fence

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member
    Originally posted by skamper

    Very few mentioning the grind.

     

    It completely turns you off when a basic set of R20 armor takes 1.5-2 hours to craft. When they lower the time it takes to get lower level gear, I will come back. And yes it does take that long from 0 materials to make 1 set of r20 banded armor. Not to mention adding in the time it takes to make a weapon to go with that.

     

    The pve grind is a little better now from what I hear with Round robin but it still can take you 4-5 hours to complete one feat. A lot of monster spawns in the game are 2-3 monsters on a 5-10 minute timer and increase slightly when you get a 3rd, and you need 185 to complete the feats. Most people park alts near spawns to increase the rate...

     

    Just read the game forums, or ask actual players if you're on the fence

    I've noticed that A LOT of games give the player the best experience they can in the first few days, and then the experience deteriorates.

    With the best games (WoW, Eve Online etc.) it takes a long time before you reach this point, if you ever do.

     

    I think reviewers of games should include a graph of enjoyment over time. This should be over a period of at least a few weeks.

  • itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon
    To me its so hard to recommend or not-recommend DFUW because its hard to equate it to another game.

    With rift I can say "if you like wow, well rift is like wow with more customization and impromptu raids and groups" for example. Will you like dragon's prophet? Well did you like tera? They're very similar.

    You can't do this so easily with DFUW. If you wanna compare it to another game you have to kind of smoosh together 5 other games.

    So I can honestly say if you would enjoy tera-like controls, eve's crafted gear and meaningful pvp, UO's skill based progress, and the low fantasy of dragon age, and do not mind a bit of lowbudget (this will hopefully change) then give it. A shot

    RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

    Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

    Dwight D Eisenhower

    My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

    Henry Rollins

  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dauntSilver

    Hell No We Wont Go!

    I played a couple weeks after it came out. You are required to craft to succeed. If you don't craft, you grind (and then end up crafting anyway). Everyone crafts. no need to trade items. gold is used solely for crafting. Then when you finally crafted the armor and weapons you want for pvp, your clan whines at you saying you aren't crafting what they need.. so you go back to chopping trees and picking berries again. then a month passes and you realized you played a game to gather twigs and berries all day and accomplished nothing, so you say "f it, im gonna go PvP." then you run out of the safe zone and get killed and lose everything. then you go back to picking berries. the end.

    That means you were in an abusive clan. Sucks for you.

     

    DF is not like that at all. In my clan we are sub-divded into small militias, every militia has access to the armory where basic gear is provided for everyone from the clan crafters. No one barks at you for not donating,  there is no resource tax, and yet our clan city is built up very nicely.

  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by itchmon

    So I can honestly say if you would enjoy tera-like controls, eve's crafted gear and meaningful pvp, UO's skill based progress, and the low fantasy of dragon age, and do not mind a bit of lowbudget (this will hopefully change) then give it. A shot

    I'd like to add:

    if you like a huge open seamless beautiful world

    exciting group pvp anywhere at anytime

    risk vs reward

    the classic MMO feel where its everyone in one world

    the classic MMO mob grind where you kick back with a few friends crack some jokes and kill some mobs

    Crafting that is meaningful

    Don't mind there will be bugs and it is developed by a dedicated small company

     

    Then yes, try out Darkfall UW. As a hater of DF1 due to the horrid community, and a VERY displeased beta player of DFUW I can finally say I am enjoying DFUW quite a lot. Sure it has its problems like all new mmos, and I will agree it is fun for now, not sure how it will play out in the long run or if it will hold my interest, but for NOW I am having a blast. Fun enough to justify the cost. and the sub keeps the f2p trolls away.

  • BorlucBorluc Greenwood, INPosts: 147Member

     

    No! DFUW does not resemble vanilla WoW or UO in any way!

     

    95% of WoW's enjoyment comes from PvE activities (solo or grouped). 100% of DFUW enjoyment (if you like ganking) comes from group PvP.

     

    Therefore, you can enjoy playing 10 minutes WoW. But to enjoy DFUW requires over 1 hour of planned play.

     

    I don't find this to be true personally.  I've been playing casually for a couple weeks.  I gather semi afk, I craft, I hit the newbie dungeon, I run to a nearby spawn and work on kill feats.  All of these things can take less than an hour.  You can't do much in WoW or any mmo in 10 min though.  

    Personally, I found eve combat to be beyond boring and also the best way to make money through missions.  There was absolutely ZERO incentive to pvp because you would almost sure lose more than you gained.  Overly complicated systems (like scanning) just added to the misery.  On top of that it was just a bunch of boxes linked by "star gates" otherwise known as zoning.  DF is a wide open world where I can use guile to get by as a newbie.

  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member

    I love Darkfall and am having a blast.  I doubt I could ever again play a game that has tab targeting, sparkles, cash shops, instances and arena pvp.

    The game I want to play has accountability and risk.  So while I don't like the absence of an alignment system in Unholy Wars, it still has accountability in terms of the one character per account.  If people interfere in your sieges, you can asset damage their holdings, KOS the members and/or not buy/sell from them. 

    Risk is the main reason I love Darkfall.  I love farming out in the world with the randomness of getting attacked and losing everything.  Many times I have been solo farming to be attacked and survived by successfully hiding or fighting off the attacker. You have your peaks and valleys of emotion when you play Darkfall.  If you take a great game like GW2 for example, with it's zero risk, I quickly got bored.

     

    Edit:  Playing Darkfall is like the Game of Thrones.  Sometimes you feel like the Lanisters and other times you feel like the Starks [cough Red Wedding cough]...but either way you are entertained.

  • SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Metairie, LAPosts: 152Member
    Thank you everybody for the number of helpful responses! I am currently playing, but I'm definitely quite overwhelmed. Some help, or maybe newby guides, would be awesome!
  • RaquisRaquis hartenbosPosts: 536Member Common

    i saw the gameplay and graffix and it looked average,should have been free to play with micro transactions for those who cared,i would have played it for a view hours but it looks bad.

     

  • Dogmadude360Dogmadude360 Cleveland, TXPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner
    Thank you everybody for the number of helpful responses! I am currently playing, but I'm definitely quite overwhelmed. Some help, or maybe newby guides, would be awesome!

    Send me a PM on here, I'll send you my in-game name. I'm completely willing to chit-chat about game controls and tips. I can also show you several guides and spreadsheets that will be very helpful in your time playing.

  • KellerKeller UtrechtPosts: 254Member
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner
    Thank you everybody for the number of helpful responses! I am currently playing, but I'm definitely quite overwhelmed. Some help, or maybe newby guides, would be awesome!
    1. Do not trust anyone ingame. Most people want to take advantage of you. (Friends are worth a lot)
    2. Leave your ego at the lobby, you will be killed, it's okay.
    3. You will loose everything that you carry on you, do not carry anything you do not want to loose.
    4. Some players will do everything to win....
    5. Most wars are fought on the official forums
    6. Official forums are a bad place. General rule of thumb, if you cannot say anything good about anyone or anything, you should post.
    7. Bugs and exploits are numerous, you and the devs will be the last persons on the server to know about these.
    8. AV (the devs) will never meet its own deadlines, updating will be slow
     
    First do all the feats inside the safezone. Some safezones might have "unique" spawns, so after you have been in one safezone, you might want to check out the other safezones. This will get you at least 10-15k prowess.
    Iron ore is the most wanted item ingame. Try to tap any iron node you encounter. Every node resets after 3 hours after it is depleted (or instantly after maintenance).
    Only join a guild if you are sure the leadership is 100% interested in your "needs". Can't tell you how many times I have witnessed when an officer declared war out of rage on a clan/Alliance. Or used the guildbank for his own personal use.
    Make a plan for your character. You can spend your prowess only once. If not sure where to spend the pp, wait till you have done some research.
    Make sure you always have a skinning knife on you. You will need the mats to make pots and in the far future, also for enchanting.
    At some point (especially when in a guild) make ready bags. Bags which you can instantly pull out to gear yourself and go kill some baddies.
    More on this subject. Make sure your bank is filled to have enough gear, food, mounts and reagents for at least a week in case you cannot farm for said week. Without gear you almost have no use for your team.
     
     
    With the A and D key you can scroll through your bank/inventory.
    Doubleclicking an item at a lootstone will put it in your bag.
     
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Zion, TNPosts: 1,298Member Common

    YES!

    or play WoW...

    The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

  • RaquisRaquis hartenbosPosts: 536Member Common

    i understand what you are saying,shroud of the avatar is also going to have risk.

    i am not use to it but it will make the game more realistic and that is what i want.

    i want to imurse myself in that world.

  • wowcloneswowclones Los Angeles, CAPosts: 127Member
    Wrong forum, of course most in this forum will say yes. Should ask in general discussion if you want a less biased opinion.
  • RaquisRaquis hartenbosPosts: 536Member Common
    i will post where i want wangker so shut up .
  • KellerKeller UtrechtPosts: 254Member
    Originally posted by wowclones
    Wrong forum, of course most in this forum will say yes. Should ask in general discussion if you want a less biased opinion.

    Saying yes is not a bad answer as long as they motivate their answer. Same goes for those who say no. Just provide facts and true statements. I am sure any player with half a brain can then make up his/her own decision.

     

    Besides why ask in general discussion? If you have not played DF:UW, how can you truly tell about gameplay? Features can be found on the official websites. Ingame footage can be found on youtube, but where can you find first hand experiences? That's why you go to a game forum. To meet players who play the game or at least have an interest in the game. You want them to share their experiences with you. They can answer your questions. Only an idiot makes up his mind after receiving one reply.

     

     

  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden gdfgfPosts: 4,333Member

    Without manual aim DF:UW would be almost like WoW .  

    That  train has left the station which DF as a sandbox game.

    -----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

    "There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

2
Sign In or Register to comment.