Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back to Rift and...

Comments

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Correct, I played for 3 days, realized it sucked and asked for my money back.

You go to a restaurant pay $50 for a nice meal and it sucks your going to complain to.

Its not as if I played for 3 months and got bored so I asked for my money back.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I also went back to Rift opening my account for a month just to unlock and make extra toons so I have all bag slots and bank stuff opened up . My impression was I didnt even honestly last two weeks this time around before I left again and doubt ill be back to play anytime soon. The game just sucks over all and cant seem to do anything at all creative or right IMO. PVP is ten million times better in GW2 and raiding and heroics and about 100 times better in WOW which I currently sub to and play GW2 also. Rift is just a stale clone of wow and warhammer with nothing at all creative or unique about it. Most argue the soul system is so great yet once you get to 50 and storm legion that completely falls apart as you are forced into 1 or 2 different survival builds for the rest of your leveling because the mobs have tons of extra health and do a lot more damage. They even sapped the entire fun of leveling out of rift with this expansion imo.  I tried this game again and honestly I can see why they are selling everything but the kitchen sink in their cash shop , Im sure they do not expect many players to actually make it to raiding with the end game grind ahead of them and the lackluster expansion. Sorry for the negative about Rift but its how I honestly see it.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The biggest irk I'd had with Rift (compared to GW2) is that as a Mage I couldn't move while casting. I literally had to stand in place, target an enemy, and cast the long-cast spell just to engage the enemy. 

If that is seriously your reasoning why GW2 is good... the game might not be nearly as good as you say it is. it bothers me people feel that you should be able to move while casting. The biggest factor in combat for me is feeling as if I'm doing something. Moving around and doing stuff in most cases breaks immersion and the feeling attacks matter. Combat in GW2 feels terribly slippery from this and I feel its one of the major factors in dragging down combat that its subpar. Sure, rooting wouldn't solve the over-all issues with the combat (over-simplicity and the lack of a real 'combo' system of sorts really drags it down in feeling more active) its a huge one i feel that in large is due to the fact  you aren't rooted. I'm sure there are ways to counter this, but the game just doesn't do anything in that end.

Having rooted combat promotes skill/thought. Your going to want to use abilities carefully, timing your attacks and planning things out. If your pans go off track, the cast simply is lost, your mistake has a penalty on it. I feel the way GW2 handles it in particular starts to weaken player skill and just drags down the experience. Would having it less of a spam fast running around like a chicken with your head cut off fix all the issues? Again no, but I just don't get this argument against it unless its for the sake that its too hard or just requires to much skill that it breaks the fun aspect for people since they can't just spam buttons and do work running around pointlessly at the same time.

When the factor that holds you back from a game and makes another game better is one in a simple mechanic of rooting, I really feel your slipping down a slipper slope of allowing mediocrity to rain supreme just because its 'easier' despite having perhaps more flaws then another game with much better game mechanics in place (even if old and not perfect).

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by piquet

I always hated the art style of WoW (maybe I could appreciate it if I was 20 years younger) so I haven't played it much, but I strongly disagree that WoW is far superior to Rift in every aspect. But yes, different strokes for different folks. There is no right or wrong, it's all a matter of taste.

Rift is basically a carbon copy of WoW, but dumbed down on almost every gameplay aspect. The most notable difference is that despite claiming to have "dynamic events" (rifts? yeah, random monster spawns, fantastic!), the world of Rift feels cramped and even more linear than WoW has ever been even now with the changed of Cataclysm and Pandaria.

They claimed "you are not in Azeroth anymore". They succeeded. You indeed aren't in Azeroth... but in a small, cramped, poorly designed world with Warhammer clone graphics and pseudo dynamic content that are only random monster spawns. And that's why they were forced to switch to "free to play"... they just don't have the talent to compete with the game which is still "the master".

Either you are extremely ignorant or you haven't actually played rift. A carbon copy? Really? Oh yeah, WoW has rifts, zone-wide invasion events, conquest, artifacts, elaborate skill trees, dimensions, slivers, chronicles and instant adventures... Yup, that's a total carbon copy right there...

Of course Azeroth is bigger than Telara, Rift is 2 years old while WoW is what? 8 years old? Rift has had 1 expansion, while WoW has had 4 (afaik) - of course that makes WoW a bigger game. Have you actually been to Dusken or Brevane? Those continents are huge!

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Howry

Correct, I played for 3 days, realized it sucked and asked for my money back.

You go to a restaurant pay $50 for a nice meal and it sucks your going to complain to.

Its not as if I played for 3 months and got bored so I asked for my money back.

No lol. If a restaurant sucks you pay your bill, leave a tip commensurate with the waiter's service, and don't go back again. Whether or not you liked it, they still provided you with a product and a service that you need to pay for. There's no guarantee of enjoyment and you purchase something knowing that. It's very poor form to ask for a refund if nothing is actually wrong with the game (i.e. no game breaking technical issues preventing you from playing). I applaud any company that gives such frivolous and selfish refunds.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Hey...I like GW2.

There's no need to bash other games while loving yours.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Hatefull

You missed a lot.  Both factions co-exist now...you know what? never mind, you are correct, GW-2 is the game for you, enjoy!

Actually GW2 isn't the game for him, or he wouldn't have gone looking elsewhere.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

I always hated the art style of WoW (maybe I could appreciate it if I was 20 years younger) so I haven't played it much, but I strongly disagree that WoW is far superior to Rift in every aspect. But yes, different strokes for different folks. There is no right or wrong, it's all a matter of taste.

Rift is basically a carbon copy of WoW, but dumbed down on almost every gameplay aspect. The most notable difference is that despite claiming to have "dynamic events" (rifts? yeah, random monster spawns, fantastic!), the world of Rift feels cramped and even more linear than WoW has ever been even now with the changed of Cataclysm and Pandaria.

They claimed "you are not in Azeroth anymore". They succeeded. You indeed aren't in Azeroth... but in a small, cramped, poorly designed world with Warhammer clone graphics and pseudo dynamic content that are only random monster spawns. And that's why they were forced to switch to "free to play"... they just don't have the talent to compete with the game which is still "the master".

Either you are extremely ignorant or you haven't actually played rift. A carbon copy? Really? Oh yeah, WoW has rifts, zone-wide invasion events, conquest, artifacts, elaborate skill trees, dimensions, slivers, chronicles and instant adventures... Yup, that's a total carbon copy right there...

Of course Azeroth is bigger than Telara, Rift is 2 years old while WoW is what? 8 years old? Rift has had 1 expansion, while WoW has had 4 (afaik) - of course that makes WoW a bigger game. Have you actually been to Dusken or Brevane? Those continents are huge!

I wanna say RIFT has had 2 expansions? They added Ember Isle a long time ago and then Storm Legion more recently. So the game world has expanded twice already.

Originally posted by Leiloni

I wanna say RIFT has had 2 expansions? They added Ember Isle a long time ago and then Storm Legion more recently. So the game world has expanded twice already.

Ember Isle was a free content update, not an expansion. I'm sure WoW has had free content updates in its lifetime as well? 

Originally posted by SuperPaneki

I only played this game the first two weeks. If they deleted my character, I wouldn't play it ever again. I only played two weeks, but I completed a few collections very hard of doing, like several days only looking for the shiny stuff. That was when I realized the game was frustrating to me because I need to complete everything and if I can't, I get frustrated and consequently, pissed off.

Please, Trion, do not delete characters! That's so disrespectful! I bought the game, so I own my characters till the game shuts down. You cannot delete them! They are my property!

You're not going to complete everything in any MMO since they are designed to be played forever. They are supposed to have so much to accomplish that a player will never get bored. Of course depending on your style of play many don't quite achieve this, but the point still stands. MMO's are not supposed to be games you "beat". You're going to hate the entire genre with that attitude. Relax a bit and just enjoy whatever you feel like doing in a game. :)

Ember Isle was a free content update, not an expansion. I'm sure WoW has had free content updates in its lifetime as well? 

I dunno what WoW has done I'm just making the point that it was both new content and new zones. Just to agree with you as to why WoW is bigger but trying to say RIFT has released an impressive amount of new content thus far.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Different games for different types of gamers. I tried Rift and enjoyed it for a while, but got stuck at level 34 or so. Just could not get enough interest to keep going.

GW2 is the game for me. I like the dynamic quests and the combat.

I dunno what WoW has done I'm just making the point that it was both new content and new zones. Just to agree with you as to why WoW is bigger but trying to say RIFT has released an impressive amount of new content thus far.

On that we agree. ;-)

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    You really should warn people at the top of your post that this is nothing more then a complete and utter trashing of Rift to outline your love-fest for gw2 - You don't even kinda make it seem credible. We get it. You love Gw2. 

I've played Rift long enough, thanks. Too long actually, I consider it one of the rare wastes of my gaming time along with Conan and Warhammer.

Rifts are marketing crap, just random monster spawn points, same with invasions.

And Azeroth was 4 times biggers than Rift AT RELEASE in 2004 compared to Rift at release, with a way better crafted world too. Without any expansion, WoW dwarves Rift in diversity, not only world size, but also races, lore, and quest wise. Then come the game mechanics, and WoW combat dwarves Rift's anytime of the day for me, despite the supposed "elaborate skill trees" which in fact come down to a couple of "FOTM" builds.

Even though I'm sure you believe they are, your opinions are not facts, they are just your opinions. WoW has a lot of things going for it, a big world-reknowned developer and very strong financial backing (2 things Rift doesn't have). I understand why WoW is loved by so many, but Rift has come a long way from the picture you so desperately try to paint of it, and it's only growing with a new expansion to be reveled in the coming months (after update 2.4).

I fail to understand why it's so important to some people to bash the games they didn't like themselves, but many other enjoy. I could go on for hours about how bad I think WoW is, but what would that accomplish? I don't have to play WoW, so I don't care about it. You don't have to play Rift...

Let's at least agree to disagree?

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

I've played Rift long enough, thanks. Too long actually, I consider it one of the rare wastes of my gaming time along with Conan and Warhammer.

Rifts are marketing crap, just random monster spawn points, same with invasions.

And Azeroth was 4 times biggers than Rift AT RELEASE in 2004 compared to Rift at release, with a way better crafted world too. Without any expansion, WoW dwarves Rift in diversity, not only world size, but also races, lore, and quest wise, not to mention design wise. Come on, which MMORPG releases nowadays with only one starter area for all races, except the utterly bad WoW clones like Rift? Then come the game mechanics, and WoW combat dwarves Rift's anytime of the day for me, despite the supposed "elaborate skill trees" which in fact come down to a couple of "FOTM" builds.

WoW does have more starter zone options but since most players only spend maybe the first 2 hours of the characters life there it is not a big selling point for me as most of my time is spent elsewhere. At least in GW2 and Rift they have down leveling to make people go back to the starter zones if they want. All 3 of these games the starter zones last until level 10-15 which is such a small portion of your characters lifespan.

I do think that WoW has a larger selection of races currently (It launched with 4 for each faction) which is a big deal to me personally when starting a game and I do wish they would have added more by now in Rift. I feel GW2 has a good selection of races.

As far as combat goes WoW = Rift (tab target) but I think that the Alternate Advancement and soul system that Rift has gives Rift the edge but GW2 is beats both for "fun" in combat in my opinion.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

Come on, which MMORPG releases nowadays with only one starter area for all races, except the utterly bad WoW clones like Rift? 

Rift has 2 starter zones across all races, not 1. At least get your facts straight...

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

And Azeroth was 4 times biggers than Rift AT RELEASE in 2004 compared to Rift at release, with a way better crafted world too. Without any expansion, WoW dwarves Rift in diversity, not only world size, but also races, lore, and quest wise, not to mention design wise. Come on, which MMORPG releases nowadays with only one starter area for all races, except the utterly bad WoW clones like Rift? Then come the game mechanics, and WoW combat dwarves Rift's anytime of the day for me, despite the supposed "elaborate skill trees" which in fact come down to a couple of "FOTM" builds.

You love GW2 and think that Rift is waste of time and horrible MMO?

I swear i would have never seen that coming neither do anyone else on these forums. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45

The public events don't have the tag mechanic like you're claiming, you get credit based on a number of factors used to calculate how much you are contributing in comparison to others. Unlike most other games, this is actually one of the areas done well in Rift imo.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I love how this thread turned mostly into "Hey it doesn't make any sense to be able to move while casting!". Last I checked; these are fantasy games. It does not matter. They can make mages cast while flying, cast while jumping, cast while falling off a cliff or cast while standing still. These are the same fantasy games where 80 pound school girls run around with 8 feet long greatswords. These are fantasy games. Don't worry about the "realistic mage casting" so much. 
  • GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

I'm glad you enjoy GW2, I pre-ordered it and haven't been able to get into. 

What irks me about GW2 is I don't really know the objective. (Not saying it's the game's fault)

GW2 isn't a seamless world is it? As in you can walk across the zones without a loading screens?

I know in Rift you can't walk the entire thing without loading screens, going to the different continents have loading screens, but Telara feels more like a world to me than Guild Wars. 

GW2 seems like the CRPG that GW was, but my expeirence is limited and mainly the info my friends have given me. 

Rift

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by GoodAfternoon

I'm glad you enjoy GW2, I pre-ordered it and haven't been able to get into. 

What irks me about GW2 is I don't really know the objective. (Not saying it's the game's fault)

GW2 isn't a seamless world is it? As in you can walk across the zones without a loading screens?

I know in Rift you can't walk the entire thing without loading screens, going to the different continents have loading screens, but Telara feels more like a world to me than Guild Wars. 

GW2 seems like the CRPG that GW was, but my expeirence is limited and mainly the info my friends have given me. 

Honestly I could care less if the world is seamless. It makes no difference to me. Rift's original world is probably 1/4 the size of GW2 so it just feels very small. Not to mention that once you get past a certain level there is no point in going back to low level zones in Rift. So the whole world always feels relevant in GW2 as opposed to Rift. In Rift you also constantly use portals to get to places similar to GW2. In both games I feel like this removes any ideas of a huge open and seamless world. Seamless to me means that you don't zone except for when you load into the game. Dungeons are not instanced, ect. 

GW2 feels more like an MMO to me then most other MMOs because the world actually has people in it since that is where a lot of the content is. It is not even close to a CRPG. I would say that Neverwinter feels more like a CRPG.

Originally posted by Celcius 

Not to mention that once you get past a certain level there is no point in going back to low level zones in Rift.

That was recently changed. If you mentor down and do zone events in low level zones you will get infinity stones now. There are other reasons to go of course, like helping out friends/guildies (if you're a nice guy) and getting all zone achievements (if you're into that sort of thing).

Edit - and artifact hunting of course :-)

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Originally posted by Calypsx
    Originally posted by Siphaed

The biggest irk I'd had with Rift (compared to GW2) is that as a Mage I couldn't move while casting.

To be honest, casting and moving doesn't make very much sense for a mage, since magic requires a lot of focus, sure the quick instant cast spells you are able to do, but channeling a huge spell while full on sprinting and rolling always struck me as silly. At least in context of the story and the channeling/charging sort.

Story wise at least, I wouldn't want sprinting mages, it would kill the feel of Rift as an RPG for me.

Casting and moving I'm comfortable with in an action game, but it just doesn't fit Rift, and I enjoy the RPG feel it provides.

Yeah I agree, I don't like the idea of a mage running around casting, it feels bizarre. Perhaps I'm just old school in that sense. The combat in GW2 is not my cup of tea in general, I don't care for the floating head turret feel that it has. Each to their own though :D.

I don't think it's a matter of old school. A mage/sorcerer/wizard/warlock needs to build up concentration when casting spells. Like we see in many single player and older MMOs. For me it just looks more than bizarre seeing a mage flinging fireballs and all matter of spells with a flick of the hand as easy as throwing stones. I much prefer the old style where the classes felt unique in the trinity system. In GW2 the classes don't feel unique at all (no roles). 

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picarde!

Come on, which MMORPG releases nowadays with only one starter area for all races, except the utterly bad WoW clones like Rift?

Just how long did you play Rift if you didn't realize they had 2 starting zones? Granted, I only played for 5 hours this weekend, but I did start new characters of both factions, and you're lying. There are 2 distinct starting areas. Rift bores me, I won't play it and I won't advise anyone else to play it, but you can at least stop lying about simple things like this.