Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

WARHAMMER and WARHAMMER 40K:Someone who knows the game industry please respond

2»

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member Common
    You could try this Relic. It looks good to me, and I hope to be giving it a go soon.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• orionblackorionblack Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

IOS? 

I am talking PC games, not consoles.

My apologies, for not stating that.

Do the DoW games have active websites with active forums being run by the Devs, with expansions and game updates?

The makers of DoW have gone under? Who is supporting it?

Please clarify.

In all fairness DoW is kinda old , so I really don't expect to much of an update there. Plus if you are a Gameswork shop fan like I am then ask yourself this...When was the last time you seen GW put out so many codex's in one year ??? And we are only in the beginning of June...Current rumor is that they are trying to sell GW off to investors.,kinda giving their Cash Crop a  little profile boost so to speak. 

As long as the Black Templars get a new codex as well..then alls good. ^^

• tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,536Member Uncommon

i think the OP should stay with Blood Bowl. It is fun and stick very close to the rules afaik (a tad bit tooooo close in my mind)

Beyond that... WAR suffered from to many ideas, to little time and DoW simply ran it's course. At least mychtic did a better job with it then the studio that went before them on making a Warhammer MMO... apart from real time ratorgre junk i am not sure they actually did anything.

Also... Paul Barnett is perhaps a tad bit to good at his job. (his job was marketing/community after all)

• RaralRaral Hoschton, GAPosts: 12Member
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I can tell you what I heard from common sense and Pachter. Brace yourself for the truth:

They are in it FOR MONEY first and EVERYTHING ELSE second.

Also, I saw a post from some bloke on a site for Tabletop game reviews about what High ranking GW guy told him(GW guy to the gamestore that bloke owned)-it merely reinforces this truth:

"...so he said to me that they are in it only to sell Tin bitz/figurines. ..."->that doesn't worry you even a bit?

That's why they turned a blind eye to the Skaven+Dwarf debacle. That's why they allowed Wrath of Heroes in the first place. That's why they sign contracts with cheap studios(Slitherine comes to mind) because then they have pure profit. And you know our fasci overlords. They are all over that.

Don't get me wrong. The best RTS(and RTT when I better think about it) that I played in recent years was Dawn of War(both). The best Themeparks I played were WAR and TSW(still playing this one). And I think that the best Total War game will be Total Warhammer. And I'd outright KILL(I mean this!) for a TES-like Warhammer Fantasy experience. Meh. I guess Warhammer quest is going to suffice >.<

That ok unleaded? And I am often angry how everyone and their Grandma has understanding for failcraft, but not for what spawned failcraft. Meh, the skeins of fate are tangled.

Now I am bitter and angry as well... Good job unleaded!

Hi Gorwe, thanks.

The thing is those DoW II games sold like hotcakes. They only suffered because despite making money, the devs and publisher Relic (was there another) mis-managed their own company as a whole. Correct?

Also, are you from the UK? Reason I ask, is that even though Warhammer and Warhammer 40K are big here in the USA, I believe it all started in the UK and everything from WAR and WAR 40K books, tabletop games/figurines, and PC games are still the most popular in the UK?

So in a nutshell, it would seem the main problem is Games Workshop doesnt care about the PC Games, as long as they get their cut and the IP is not violated, i.e. "Flintstones invade Praag" or something like that, Games Workshop is content to focus their resources on the figurine/TT market and doesnt care if every PC Game went kaput, as long as they get their initial cut?

Geezuz...and yet..so many crap games survive...why cant our Warhammer games do so too?

Correct. Relic killed itself. They killed themselves by some weird moves(overfocusing on DLC, leaving various parts of game imba in Retribution, shift in the story telling in Retribution, everything went south) and more importantly because the true Pubs(THQ) went bankrupt. Though if you look at the ending of Retribution(I think it's not spoiler anymore), a LIBRARIAN became a DAEMON PRINCE of KHORNE! , you can clearly see that they got majority of things wrong and that they don't understand anything(basically).

As for me, no I am not from Great Island of yore ( :P ). I have to go there once(beautiful place indeed, I've got to see Emirates Stadiun in London{ARSENAL!!!} and perhaps even attend that Summer conference that BL authors have{in Notts}). I am from little spec in SE Europe called Croatia. I don't think we even have a GW themed gamestore here. Therefore, I don't have anywhere to either buy minis or to play anything of such calibre. Tho, TCGs are popular here(Magic et al). I only buy and read and ENJOY the books! They are awesome by themselves.

Your Third paragraph would be correct yes. They only care about TT because it brings them the bulk of their money. If they managed to pull Rift or LoTRO's success, let alone WoW's, you'd see their priorities shifting.

As for the last: because people Expect too much. And they should seeing how Noble pedigree Warhammer IP is. Then that expectations meet the reality and, well, you know what happens. That's why they don't survive. As for the other games, well, nobody really cares if there exists or doesn't exist Rift/Aion/eve/... Because they ARE NOT using up a FAMOUS IP. Simple.

2»