Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I am SICK and TIRED of WoW clones

GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,473Member Uncommon

In the genre plagued by uncreative games and by the drive to clone WoW's success, I am looking for good and creative games.

What an oxymoron!

I just can't stand tab target, bland quests, Dungeon grinds, reputation grinds, shallow stories, WoW combat, WoW animations, stand to cast, focus on the endgame, gameworld so bland that players have to bring it to life with an actual Heavy RP, "crafting", ... I mean this has got to end at some point or the other. We've sacrificed Conan, Warhammer, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Elder Scrolls(soon), DnD(Neverwinter- it should've been NWN 3!), LoTR(almost forgot this one lol!)... WHERE DOES THIS STOP???

I agree that we are seeing movement towards both sandboxes and hybrids, but currently we are in the gutter with all the shits, excrements and stuff. Woe be upon this genre...

(I think I'll play TSW+singleplayers until these suits{whose ties are so tight around their necks that they can't think-not enough O2} wake up and realise that you CAN'T REPLICATE WoW's success! Hell, even Blizz can't replicate that "perfect storm", let alone others.)

Is this a good idea? Is anyone else tired of current "MMOs"?

I want MMORPGs back, damn it!!!

Comments

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Boston, MAPosts: 387Member Uncommon
    I hear ya brother....
    I've never been less hyped for a WoW expansion. Blizzard really needs to prove they can do something other then the whole infinite gear treadmill dance, slowly and painfully introduced.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,316Member Uncommon

There are many many many games on that list to the left that are not wow clones. 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    TSW is as much a WOW clone as the other games you mentioned, yet you seem to give that game a free ride.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,499Member Uncommon

Don't play them. Play one of the games that's not like WoW. Here are a few:

EVE

Darkfall

Planetside 2

Perpetuum

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Anarchy Online

Lineage 2

Vindictus

Guild Wars

Age of Wushu

Ultima Online

Wizard 101

Asheron's Call 1/2

Xsyon

Wurm

Champions Online

APB: Reloaded

Vendetta Online

Pirates of the Burning Sea

Mortal Online

Dofus

Wakfu

Originally posted by colddog04

EVE

Darkfall

Planetside 2

Perpetuum

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Anarchy Online

Lineage 2

Vindictus

Guild Wars

Age of Wushu

Ultima Online

Wizard 101

Asheron's Call 1/2

Xsyon

Wurm

Champions Online

Vendetta Online

Mortal Online

Dofus

Wakfu

What a terrible choice.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

EVE

Darkfall

Planetside 2

Perpetuum

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Anarchy Online

Lineage 2

Vindictus

Guild Wars

Age of Wushu

Ultima Online

Wizard 101

Asheron's Call 1/2

Xsyon

Wurm

Champions Online

Vendetta Online

Mortal Online

Dofus

Wakfu

What a terrible choice.

Well, yeah. If you don't like sandboxes and interesting game mechanics.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,447Member Uncommon
    WoW clone when WoW is a clone of EQ1 that started what made MMOs what they are today and EQ1 was a clone as well. Most people that use the term WoW clone dont even know what they are talking about. Do you mean the gear treadmill or the fact its got a hotbar? MMOs like any other line of games, take what works and add to it. Even FPS games all have the same basic elements. Same with RTS games. Time to start judging games on their quality not what is the same. Because when something really unique and new comes out, thats the games that get bashed the hardest by people here.

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

Star Trek Online is a WOW clone now? what?

And people look at me all crazy when i say Wildstar looks like WOW.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

Currently MMOs have great variety of settings and mechanics. Star Trek, Star wars, super heroes, modern day conspiracies. The only "boring" sub-genre is fantasy, which is done to death.

If you look beyond just "true" MMO, and include MMO-like games, the choices are even better. Warframe, WOT, LoL, Star Conflict, Mechwarrior online, PS2 .. with different settings, different mechanics from FPS to space dog fights.

Online gaming is great.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Well, you do have a character. And a storyline happening around you. And levels. And equipment. And ......

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,905Member Uncommon

The best is saying Tab Targeting=WOW clone.

What they hell were SOE thinking they didn't need to change their game, they obviously already had a WOW clone in SWG prior to any revamps.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz La Puente, CAPosts: 865Member

Play Secret world: 

Generic quests, No

Generic game world, No

WoW/DnD style leveling, (As in you go from level one to level two etc...) No

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the whole I would agree with you. As someone has played WoW, when I took a break from WoW I wanted something different. If I want WoW I'll play WoW no a cheap knock-off.

Here are some games you should try:

EVE: space instead of fantasy, unique leveling system, hard core, sandbox

Darkfall UW: Haven't played this one but if it's like the original, first person it is miles away from WoW

Secret World: See above

GW2 (Not in most things but it takes a shot at getting rid of the trinity which is good, but hearts are just quest hubs where you automatically get the objectives when you enter the hub area)

Wurm: A sand box where if you cut down a tree it's gone, if you plant a tree it grows, build a house a road or whatever you want.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Matthews, NCPosts: 464Member

"I'm sick and tired of WoW clones!"

Why did you hate that new game that came out?

"It wasn't enough like WoW!"

Darkfall got all 3rd person during the Unholy Wars thing. It's still way different then WoW though.
  • darthbuhdarthbuh Greenville, NCPosts: 19Member

I want carburetors back.

Some things just aren't going to happen.

EVE

Darkfall

Planetside 2

Perpetuum

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Anarchy Online

Lineage 2

Vindictus

Guild Wars

Age of Wushu

Ultima Online

Wizard 101

Asheron's Call 1/2

Xsyon

Wurm

Champions Online

Vendetta Online

Mortal Online

Dofus

Wakfu

What a terrible choice.

Most of those games aren't even sandboxes

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Kazoo, MIPosts: 207Member

I agree with ya OP

I been wanting  Ultima Online 2 now for 8+ years....

2 problems getting it atm.

1.  There is some false notion among mmorpg players that sandbox games are not fun. I believe this might be because the only sandbox to come out post WoW vanilla hitting the scene, was Darkfall. Darkfall has a known rep for being a cheaters paradise. This puts a bad taste in younger mmo players who didn't play and mmo before WoW/EQ2.

Eve is a great example of a fun sandbox. Ultima Online 1 in it's hayday was as well.

2.  People who never play just keeping their subscription going for placed/rare(?) pixels. Servers are dead, those who want mergers get shouted down by vets who, once again, don't want to loose placed pixels. I think UO could stay afloat with just 1k-3k subs with the skele crew and only needing a few basic servers to breath what little life it can maintain going. People who love ultima are really shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

But ya, like any pendulum, the mmo industry here soon might start swing back to sandboxes.

EVE

Darkfall

Planetside 2

Perpetuum

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Anarchy Online

Lineage 2

Vindictus

Guild Wars

Age of Wushu

Ultima Online

Wizard 101

Asheron's Call 1/2

Xsyon

Wurm

Champions Online

Vendetta Online

Mortal Online

Dofus

Wakfu

What a terrible choice.

Most of those games aren't even sandboxes

And a lot of them are. I'm not sure what your point is. Is it that you don't like any of those games? Because you can always play something more similar to WoW or move out of the genre if they don't spark your interest.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member
    Originally posted by darthbuh

I want carburetors back.

I want to be young and skinny again.

I think I'll go start a new thread and rant about it...

• TaranxTaranx Victoria, BCPosts: 153Member
    Originally posted by Gorwe

In the genre plagued by uncreative games and by the drive to clone WoW's success, I am looking for good and creative games.

What an oxymoron!

I just can't stand tab target, bland quests, Dungeon grinds, reputation grinds, shallow stories, WoW combat, WoW animations, stand to cast, focus on the endgame, gameworld so bland that players have to bring it to life with an actual Heavy RP, "crafting", ... I mean this has got to end at some point or the other. We've sacrificed Conan, Warhammer, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Elder Scrolls(soon), DnD(Neverwinter- it should've been NWN 3!), LoTR(almost forgot this one lol!)... WHERE DOES THIS STOP???

I agree that we are seeing movement towards both sandboxes and hybrids, but currently we are in the gutter with all the shits, excrements and stuff. Woe be upon this genre...

(I think I'll play TSW+singleplayers until these suits{whose ties are so tight around their necks that they can't think-not enough O2} wake up and realise that you CAN'T REPLICATE WoW's success! Hell, even Blizz can't replicate that "perfect storm", let alone others.)

Is this a good idea? Is anyone else tired of current "MMOs"?

I want MMORPGs back, damn it!!!

Might need a time machine then to go back to the days when we were in AWE of the new Genre. I think it will be a while before that happens again. I remember the first time I played Doom and was "OMG this is so cool!". Or even RTS Warcraft. However how much further have they really come since the originals?

Problem is today the available hard core audience. Kids who are used to not needing to think too hard, they don't need to remember phone numbers, how to get from A-B without Iphone GPS, don't need to plan ahead very far as they can just use texting on a whim etc. The large demand is from them and they have different expectations. I mean really, NWN's? I enjoyed it and feel like I finished it. I just followed the fairy dust from beginning to end

• mikunimanmikuniman Keene, NYPosts: 312Member
    I think for the many people who post these topics must be tired of mmos in general. Thinking back 10 yrs ago there few mmo choices so you stuck with 1 mmo for the most part. Today with so many choices and lack of subs play style differs where you could play many. I know I've gotten some decent millage out of allot of titles from Coldogs list. OP and the like take a break play some fps or rpgs
  • rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon

I want carburetors back.

Most here probably don't know what a carburetor is, much less what it does.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz La Puente, CAPosts: 865Member
    Originally posted by mikuniman
    I think for the many people who post these topics must be tired of mmos in general. Thinking back 10 yrs ago there few mmo choices so you stuck with 1 mmo for the most part. Today with so many choices and lack of subs play style differs where you could play many. I know I've gotten some decent millage out of allot of titles from Coldogs list. OP and the like take a break play some fps or rpgs

I have to agree, People complain about "WoW clones"  but when you mention games that are different from WoW,  they claim they suck.

So if WoW and Wow clones suck and games that are not WoW clones suck... then you might as well just quit MMO's all together because that is all there is.

As for me, I make no claims that WoW is the best MMO in the universe. I simply played it because it was fun. When it stopped being fun, I quit. If I miss it I'll go back. I'll do the same for any MMO to be honest.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Well, you do have a character. And a storyline happening around you. And levels. And equipment. And ......

You mean it is a Pool of the Radiance clone?

Or a mario clone?

Or a donkey kong clone?

Does pong has a story line?

• mikunimanmikuniman Keene, NYPosts: 312Member
    Originally posted by rodingo

I want carburetors back.

Most here probably don't know what a carburetor is, much less what it does.

you can bet I do