Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM officially OKs Autoloot Macro

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Many MMOs have a 'autoloot' function already ingame in their game options, so imo no big deal.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Err, what is the problem here? Slappy trying to stir up something that's not even a issue. R u getting desperate or what?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

disgraceful really that they let this sort of thing go on. Theres a reason why there isnt an auto loot feature in MO and UO. when you have to take time to loot items its time you could end up getting into a fight for. If you can insta loot then thats time saved and it allows you to loot items that drop much faster than the ordinary rule abiding member of the community who really might want the pig carcass but some random tool with a loot macro keeps grabbing it all or keeps grabbing all the good loot that drops from a high level mob.

Its illegal in uo and it should be in mo as well. Theres a very good reason why and if people cant see that then theres no hope for mo. Its not like they left out an auto loot macro by accident now is it? and the community have to add it. It was left out for a reason. Some games have radar built in as a feature. Since they have it maybe some member of the community sohuld add that since its obviously something missing from mo like auto looting that other games have.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Muke
    Many MMOs have a 'autoloot' function already ingame in their game options, so imo no big deal.

not defending the game but this is not wow or its clones, looting in this game is something meaningful, read the post above.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

Err, what is the problem here? Slappy trying to stir up something that's not even a issue. R u getting desperate or what?

Far from it. Just look at the difference between your response and Deathshroud's. Both dedicated fans with diametrically opposed points of view on the subject. I did not give my opinion on the subject but sure do find it to be interesting.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Far from it. Just look at the difference between your response and Deathshroud's. Both dedicated fans with diametrically opposed points of view on the subject. I did not give my opinion on the subject but sure do find it to be interesting.

But I can promise you noone would use autoloot in a PVP fight, or they would be stupid to do so, cause you would get all kinds of crap, and prolly get encumbered and killed as well from doing it. You wanna choose wisely when you loot in the heat of a PVP fight. Where it would be nice is when you PVE to save just ALITTLE time to pick up those carcasess etc. And it would be up to any1 to use it if they wanna.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

But I can promise you noone would use autoloot in a PVP fight, or they would be stupid to do so, cause you would get all kinds of crap, and prolly get encumbered and killed as well from doing it. You wanna choose wisely when you loot in the heat of a PVP fight. Where it would be nice is when you PVE to save just ALITTLE time to pick up those carcasess etc. And it would be up to any1 to use it if they wanna.

You promised so it must be true!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Is it as much fun to watch as MUD autoloot macros were?

>you pick up a dagger.
    >You put a dagger in your backpack.
    >You pick up a dagger.
    >You put a dagger in your backpack.
    etc. 

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by f0dell54

You promised so it must be true!

Well it will be a rude awakening for anyone that does it in a big PVP fight. Some nOOb would prolly do it, but would stop it pretty damn fast when they realize how it works. Look at almost ANY pvp-vid for MO and you see that people only pick a few things when they loot in fights. And there is a reason for that. And it's not that it takes time... Encumbered=DEAD.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

There are multiple cases where time of looting matters, not the content. If you know that the enemy is carrying a certain item you need, you want to get that item and get outta there as quick as possible, both in PvP and PvE. This macro allows you unfair advantage to get that quicker looting reducing chances of someone interrupting you.

MO aside, I fail to see how you can argue for it to be fair in a game which is based on full loot and FFA combat. 

Originally posted by Toferio

There are multiple cases where time of looting matters, not the content. If you know that the enemy is carrying a certain item you need, you want to get that item and get outta there as quick as possible, both in PvP and PvE. This macro allows you unfair advantage to get that quicker looting reducing chances of someone interrupting you.

MO aside, I fail to see how you can argue for it to be fair in a game which is based on full loot and FFA combat. 

Cause if you would hit "full loot" you would in almost EVERY case get encumbered, and wouldn't get away as "quick as possible". Then you would be better of picking the 1-3 things you want, and leave the rest... And NOT use a "full loot"-macro. I would welcome ANY1 to use it against me and my guys in a PVP fight. It's gonna be a blast to see them turtles "running" around.

seems like you are having difficulty understand how auto looting scripts are bad for games that dont have them built in. Heres an example

the GMs spawn a high level mob just outside a guardzone full of great loot. as soon as the mob dies loads of nakeds run to the corpse with auto loot macros and grab everything before those killing the mob even have time to loot a few of the items.

Or as a group you kill a mob, unfortunately 1 of your guild members is dishonest and possibly a spy. hes using a loot macro grabbing all the best loot from the mobs your group is killing. Or hes using it to loot dead players after pvp to grab their cronite equipment and good swords.

Just because the auto loot macro isn't well advanced doesn't mean better more accurate ones wont come along they will.

eventually people will develop full 3rd party programs that are pretty advanced for auto looting and if you allow 1 type your allowing all types and these kinds of program can make a huge difference

Originally posted by deathshroud

seems like you are having difficulty understand how auto looting scripts are bad for games that dont have them built in. Heres an example

the GMs spawn a high level mob just outside a guardzone full of great loot. as soon as the mob dies loads of nakeds run to the corpse with auto loot macros and grab everything before those killing the mob even have time to loot a few of the items.

Or as a group you kill a mob, unfortunately 1 of your guild members is dishonest and possibly a spy. hes using a loot macro grabbing all the best loot from the mobs your group is killing. Or hes using it to loot dead players after pvp to grab their cronite equipment and good swords.

Just because the auto loot macro isn't well advanced doesn't mean better more accurate ones wont come along they will.

eventually people will develop full 3rd party programs that are pretty advanced for auto looting and if you allow 1 type your allowing all types and these kinds of program can make a huge difference

And in all those cases, that happens more or less never these days since Theia doesn't run any events any longer. And if some1 turns on his guild mates in a situation like that. Do you think he would last? Common. Have you even played MO? I'm starting to doubt that with your comments here... Well let's say it would happen every day (it won't). The one doing it would be beaten with a ugly stick til he dies and have the loot dropped. Your talking bout VERY rare situations, and even IF that would happen every day, the guy using it WOULD often get encumbered and not being able to get away with the loot. And I don't think there will be a loot macro coming out anytime soon that will know what a cronite sword is or not etc . SV allows macroes, if you don't like it, don't play it. Ohh yeah, that's right. You don't. But still your here crying rivers.

And in all those cases, that happens more or less never these days since Theia doesn't run any events any longer. And if some1 turns on his guild mates in a situation like that. Do you think he would last? Common. Have you even played MO? I'm starting to doubt that with your comments here... Well let's say it would happen every day (it won't). The one doing it would be beaten with a ugly stick til he dies and have the loot dropped. Your talking bout VERY rare situations, and even IF that would happen every day, the guy using it WOULD often get encumbered and not being able to get away with the loot. And I don't think there will be a loot macro coming out anytime soon that will know what a cronite sword is or not etc . SV allows macroes, if you don't like it, don't play it. Ohh yeah, that's right. You don't. But still your here crying rivers.

im here hoping mo would eventually turn into a good game i played it a lot more than you most likely and its obvious when they let stuff like this happen that the game will never break free of its stigma. Your suggestion is to simply not have anymore events? seriously?

also on 2 occasions spies within guilds caused serious issues simply by looting shit. be it a team mates armor/weapons and denying it or an alliance members. another time i remember an alliance killing a named boss at an event, people standing aronud waiting for the loot. random alliance member loots it all most likely with a loot script before anyone even sees the drops and then denies it and the loot that was supposed to be shared never got shared.

loot macros make this sort of behavior much easier, also it allows nakeds to quickly loot their stuff after dying on the field.

im here hoping mo would eventually turn into a good game i played it a lot more than you most likely and its obvious when they let stuff like this happen that the game will never break free of its stigma. Your suggestion is to simply not have anymore events? seriously?

also on 2 occasions spies within guilds caused serious issues simply by looting shit. be it a team mates armor/weapons and denying it or an alliance members. another time i remember an alliance killing a named boss at an event, people standing aronud waiting for the loot. random alliance member loots it all most likely with a loot script before anyone even sees the drops and then denies it and the loot that was supposed to be shared never got shared.

loot macros make this sort of behavior much easier, also it allows nakeds to quickly loot their stuff after dying on the field.

Where did I say that my suggestion is to have no more events? I said events hasn't happened since Theia left. There was a fishing contest. That is it. And before that we had like 1 event every 4 months or so. So even if they would get it back it wold be very rare, and then even more rare that, that each time there will be one deceitful player, that manages to sneak by and get the loot and get away. Your talking by extreme and very rare situations.

And you do know there is a skill called snooping in MO, so if someone, as you say, used a macro to get the loot, then denied it, they could just snoop him and they would know. That's the beauty of MO. If they didn't do it well then they were plain stupid and deserve to loose it.

And nakeds getting back quickly after dying in MO to get their stuff? In MO reviving is never done quickly. And even if they did revive quickly and run back, the most valuable stuff like weapons etc will be gone cause people take that as soon as someone goes down. Again your talking bout very rare situations.

And I've played MO of and on since early BETA, so I've been around. You think this would somehow brake the game. I see it as a nice way to make PVE alittle less time consuming. Maybe once in a blue moon someone gets away with loot from a event boss, and manages to fool his guild and run to a bank before getting snooped, but I can live with those extremly rare situations. You seem to think this would happen every day or something, and that proves that your outta touch with MO these days. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this, in my eyes, none issue. Hope you find a MMO you like soon.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    [mod edit] Can you seriously not see the issues with auto loot in a full loot ffa game?

Also, your responses clearly demonstrates MO's predicament; auto loot is not a problem in events, because MO no longer has events..? So, following that logic, ideally there nerd tobe less PvP fights too because that would minimize the risk of people abusing auto loot macros.

These type of issues has plagued the game since the beginning and it has driven away a lot of people - gamma hacks is another example of a "hardcore" feature (in this case, dark nights) rendered meaningless by 3d party software and SV unable to stop it, effectively forcing everyone to use the software and destroying a vital part of the game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is no problem with it what so ever,in real life,it's not like your going to need to tell yourself.."Ok Dude you better go over there and loot that".The only problem that can exist is if you start getting crap you don't want,so then you have to manually toss it.If it was realistic you wouldn't have picked it up in the first place,just to toss it.

Since it really can never be a perfect system,i see no problem ,no matter how a game does it.The best option i have seen to date was in SRO,they  allowed you to tick off i think was three choices of type of item to keep or not.So example you would tick off you want to keep ALL gold,ALL gear but no mats.Or gold and then normal or HQ items.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

There is no problem with it what so ever,in real life,it's not like your going to need to tell yourself.."Ok Dude you better go over there and loot that".The only problem that can exist is if you start getting crap you don't want,so then you have to manually toss it.If it was realistic you wouldn't have picked it up in the first place,just to toss it.

Since it really can never be a perfect system,i see no problem ,no matter how a game does it.The best option i have seen to date was in SRO,they  allowed you to tick off i think was three choices of type of item to keep or not.So example you would tick off you want to keep ALL gold,ALL gear but no mats.Or gold and then normal or HQ items.

yea that will eventually be the outcome, were they have an autoloot scriptthat can detect the difference between pixels on screen to only loot specific items like swords gold helmets.

Originally posted by Biskop
    [mod edit] Can you seriously not see the issues with auto loot in a full loot ffa game?

Also, your responses clearly demonstrates MO's predicament; auto loot is not a problem in events, because MO no longer has events..? So, following that logic, ideally there nerd tobe less PvP fights too because that would minimize the risk of people abusing auto loot macros.

These type of issues has plagued the game since the beginning and it has driven away a lot of people - gamma hacks is another example of a "hardcore" feature (in this case, dark nights) rendered meaningless by 3d party software and SV unable to stop it, effectively forcing everyone to use the software and destroying a vital part of the game.

No, I didn't say that. I hate repeating myself. But here it goes. I said even if we had events like before. Like once every 4 months. The chances of the loot going to a person, that won't get encumbered from it, won't be guilded or one that turns on his guildies, and that will manage to get away from every1 else and into a town with a bank, without being caught, is minimal. And IF it happened once in a blue moon, that wouldn't be so bad, because most of the times it won't even be a issue.

And as with PVP fights, as I said, if some1 dies, he gets stripped of his valuable items at once, and the fight goes on. If he then manages to come back. He wont have his weapons or pots etc. Cause guys looting corps won't use a full loot macro in PVP cause they would most likely get encumbered.

And last. The ONLY time I, and I guess many with me would use it in MO, is in PVE. To speed that up, and make PVE take alittle less time, and time spent there can be used elsewhere. That's rly all I have to say. If it isn't clear enough now, then I need to polish my english to make peeps understand me. I don't I have anything more on this topic. I, that play the game don't have a issue with this, and don't see a issue with it. You that don't play the game have a issue with it. Well, you just can keep on doing what your not doing to avoid it. And that is to not play the game. ;)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly, its a bit stupid to me. Even if they do go about adding it in (which honestly, I'd rather they did, looting can become tedious as heck) the fact is they are using an automated program to do something you couldn't do in game. Just disallow it, and once the feature is added (if planned) then players will have that functionality any ways. In the end its just a leg up on others when you let them do things other players couldn't do sheerly within the game itself.
    I don't I have anything more on this topic. I, that play the game don't have a issue with this, and don't see a issue with it. You that don't play the game have a issue with it. Well, you just can keep on doing what your not doing to avoid it. And that is to not play the game. ;)

That's a really weak argument,  particularly since you only resubbed like a week ago...

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/star-vault-emission-and-latest-development-news-24-5.88248/page-2#post-1513325

This is really one of the more philosophical questions that go beyond the specific game.  Some people just like hitting a button and getting all their loot.  Others think that the added time of having to manually select adds an element of danger to a full loot PvP game.

All I'll say is... if this is something SV wanted it should be really simple to put into the game.  Saying it is OK to use an outside program to bypass game mechanics seems silly to me.

Originally posted by Wizardry

yea that will eventually be the outcome, were they have an autoloot scriptthat can detect the difference between pixels on screen to only loot specific items like swords gold helmets.

I'm no expert at this. But I think what your talking bout is using a 3d party program for pixel detection (like a aimbot), and those I think are NOT allowed and would lead to you being banned if used. There is a big difference between using a simple macro using something like AutoHotkey, or using a 3d party program for pixel detection... Not even the same ball park. 

Edit. Well apperantly AutoHotkey can use pixel detection. That's what a "expert" I was. :P But still the only difference here is that you would loot 3 objects (according to the guy in the link) in a second, rather then around the 4 seconds it would take to drag them manually. And having a pixel detection, for a sword or something, would only mean that you would loot those 3 objects you want 2-3 seconds faster. But I don't think a program for pixel detection is allowed. He speaks of a macro that just drags 1-3 object to your bag faster then dragging it manually.

I don't I have anything more on this topic. I, that play the game don't have a issue with this, and don't see a issue with it. You that don't play the game have a issue with it. Well, you just can keep on doing what your not doing to avoid it. And that is to not play the game. ;)

That's a really weak argument,  particularly since you only resubbed like a week ago...

But you do know one can play the game without subbing right? That's the beauty with MO. It's also f2p. ;)

And that wasn't a argument. That was more a statement bout the people here that is having a issue with it are not playing the game, while people that do, don't. I wrote about the arguments and the possible issues that this could have upon a FFA full loot game like MO. And to me those occasions would be so rare, that they wouldn't even be a issue.

So... you have any issue with someone using a similar program go instabank items? How about a similar program to help thieves?

As I said. If SV supports this it should be built into the game. Its odd that a company would support using third party programs to bypass game mechanics.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Honestly, its a bit stupid to me. Even if they do go about adding it in (which honestly, I'd rather they did, looting can become tedious as heck) the fact is they are using an automated program to do something you couldn't do in game. Just disallow it, and once the feature is added (if planned) then players will have that functionality any ways. In the end its just a leg up on others when you let them do things other players couldn't do sheerly within the game itself.

Good points

This discussion has been closed.