Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Interview

SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

So here is a new interview.

• ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
  • Players known to the series will recognize the lore and the combat from previous games. You will not have to had played TES 1-5 to play tis.
  • Currently you can join 5 player-made guilds.
  • They’ve always looked at what other games are doing, but are focusing on making their own game the best they can.
  • They’re not talking about their revenue model yet.
  • Completing every quest in the game currently will take approximately 150 hours based on internal testing. Dungeons, PvP and such is not included in this calculation.
  • If large public events happen, expect them in Cyrodiil.
  • PvP is territory-based, not arena-based.
  • Elder Scrolls is not about e-sports.
  • There are locations that you will return to throughout the game, old areas and Coldharbour etc.
  • Tutorial is being mentioned as “the prison part”.
  • "Yeah, we’re working on our end-game PvE right now, so yes it will be large group-based. But don’t think World of Warcraft-raids, because Elder Scrolls doesn’t have 50 foot tall gods that you go fight against, it just don’t, it’s not what we do. So it will be different, but it will be group-PvE. We might not call it “raid” but it’s definitely endgame group-PvE."
  • Major Guilds will add skill lines and they all function as character progression at endgame. They will have quests throughout your leveling process, however.
  • Mounts are confirmed (duh?), standard ES horses with various speeds. You will be able to stable and upgrade them. Full specs to be released later on.
  • Release has been said to be during 2013, but they’re going to release when they’re done. Currently 2 months into closed beta with a couple of thousand testers (not internal).
  • They’re not planning localization for the Italian market at launch, instead focusing on French, German and English.
  • Beta-feedback so far has been really good. Apparently the bridge between TES RPG and MMO has been the big conversation over on the beta-forums. Firor indicates that ES-players will have an easier first experience than MMO-players.
  • For “important NPC’s” you will be phased in with that NPC, and not see other players. In some way.

• Consequences in quests will be fun and everlasting. Depending on your choices some NPCs might show up elsewhere in the world, and help or harm your efforts.

There will be a vanity item store. Honest-to-god-Firor-quote: “You can’t have an MMO without cool pets and stuff like that…
So we know the game will have a cash shop but will only sell vanity, this to me is pointing to P2P like WOW.

Comments

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

Thanks.

Not much I didn't know, but a few tidbits here and there. I'm sad about the cash shop, even if it is for vanity only. I just despise them. Anyway, thanks for posting. :>

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Thanks for sharing.

Things that concern me the most are 150hrs of quests and primarily not designed as a full MMO. Hardore players will finish the quests in less than 2 weeks, the more casual crowd probably in 2 month max. Doesn't sound like the next longterm MMO, more like the usual short time MMO. But we will see...

Originally posted by Anthur

Thanks for sharing.

Things that concern me the most are 150hrs of quests and primarily not designed as a full MMO. Hardore players will finish the quests in less than 2 weeks, the more casual crowd probably in 2 month max. Doesn't sound like the next longterm MMO, more like the usual short time MMO. But we will see...

Yeah, completely agree with that. Games just aren't being designed with longevity in mind anymore, it feels like. But we'll see. :o

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

Thanks for sharing.

prob going to be a B2P then if it will be more like a regular TES with multiplayer we will have to wait and see

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Thanks for sharing.

150 hours is a pretty big game though.  I think it took me about 120 to get "been there,  done that"  in gw2.  and that was with some wvw and instanced pvp. 

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Don't need a cash shop for vanity items, it's called crafting. So sick of this cash shop crap another game to ignore.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    Don't need a cash shop for vanity items, it's called crafting. So sick of this cash shop crap another game to ignore.

it's actually called making money.  and that's kind of the point.  despite how much the developers might like making video games,  any company's goal is to make money.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

So here is a new interview.

• ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
    • Players known to the series will recognize the lore and the combat from previous games. You will not have to had played TES 1-5 to play tis.
    • Currently you can join 5 player-made guilds.
    • They’ve always looked at what other games are doing, but are focusing on making their own game the best they can.
    • They’re not talking about their revenue model yet.
    • Completing every quest in the game currently will take approximately 150 hours based on internal testing. Dungeons, PvP and such is not included in this calculation.
    • If large public events happen, expect them in Cyrodiil.
    • PvP is territory-based, not arena-based.
    • Elder Scrolls is not about e-sports.
    • There are locations that you will return to throughout the game, old areas and Coldharbour etc.
    • Tutorial is being mentioned as “the prison part”.
    • "Yeah, we’re working on our end-game PvE right now, so yes it will be large group-based. But don’t think World of Warcraft-raids, because Elder Scrolls doesn’t have 50 foot tall gods that you go fight against, it just don’t, it’s not what we do. So it will be different, but it will be group-PvE. We might not call it “raid” but it’s definitely endgame group-PvE."
    • Major Guilds will add skill lines and they all function as character progression at endgame. They will have quests throughout your leveling process, however.
    • Mounts are confirmed (duh?), standard ES horses with various speeds. You will be able to stable and upgrade them. Full specs to be released later on.
    • Release has been said to be during 2013, but they’re going to release when they’re done. Currently 2 months into closed beta with a couple of thousand testers (not internal).
    • They’re not planning localization for the Italian market at launch, instead focusing on French, German and English.
    • Beta-feedback so far has been really good. Apparently the bridge between TES RPG and MMO has been the big conversation over on the beta-forums. Firor indicates that ES-players will have an easier first experience than MMO-players.
    • For “important NPC’s” you will be phased in with that NPC, and not see other players. In some way.

• Consequences in quests will be fun and everlasting. Depending on your choices some NPCs might show up elsewhere in the world, and help or harm your efforts.

There will be a vanity item store. Honest-to-god-Firor-quote: “You can’t have an MMO without cool pets and stuff like that…
    So we know the game will have a cash shop but will only sell vanity, this to me is pointing to P2P like WOW.

Good stuff can't wait to play

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by muffins89

Thanks for sharing.

150 hours is a pretty big game though.  I think it took me about 120 to get "been there,  done that"  in gw2.  and that was with some wvw and instanced pvp. 

Not that big when you compare it to games like Vanguard or Age Of  Wushu but you have to times that by three at least because of the other two faction areas.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    So here is a new interview.ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
    So a multi-player Elder Scrolls game is a 3 faction PvP centric game (the WHOLE game based around this 3 faction PvP) where multiple players of multiple races can not interact with each other, unless they wish to kill each other. I am sorry if I do not believe Mr. Firor.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by pauly6478

it's actually called making money.  and that's kind of the point.  despite how much the developers might like making video games,  any company's goal is to make money.

Doesn't mean we have to like it, hehe. It's true, of course.

But I fully believe that if a product releases with high quality, depth and longevity, etc, then people will pay a subscription.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
    Don't back pedal too fast...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by Adokas
    But I fully believe that if a product releases with high quality, depth and longevity, etc, then people will pay a subscription.

Absolutely.

That's the trick though, isn't it? I would look to an independent developer with a relatively low-budget game for this, rather than one of the so-called AAA companies with shareholders, etc. Maybe when some of those kickstarters come online.

But if TESO can keep their cash shop like TSW's, it should be alright. 

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I have no faith in the big publishers and developers, hehe.

So, hopefully as you say, some of those kickstarters will be successful.

Also, I love your good guy greg avatar :D

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Nitth

ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
    Don't back pedal too fast...

Well, as long as they back pedal in the right direction, it's fine with me. Lots of people asked for an Elder scrolls game with multiplayer/co-op option and they probably realized they will not be able to deliver a full-blown MMO, hence the shift in terminology.

150 hours of quests across 3 factions is actually not that much. It's something along the lines of SWTOR, which is OK for a B2P game, but not P2P. Let's hope Zenimax is aware of that.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Cash shop...

This tells a lot about what they expect from their game - The game is not good enough to sustain itself without a cash shop. They want as much of your money in the first few months as possible, before people realize it is just another clone and start leaving. If Zenimax knew it was a good game and really engaged players, they would go B2P or B2P+P2P only.

This feels like a repeat of TSW. They advertised pre-launch that they had 120-150 hours of questing content (nobody mentioned anything about endgame other than the fact it has pvp minigames and dungeons)

TSW started as vanity, now you can buy QL10 weapons, signet extractors , xp boosts and other conveniences...

Repop is cash shop, TESO is cash shop, what next? I have lost all hope for MMOs. If it is B2P+CS then you know what to expect, another half-assed game with no endgame which they expect you to play for 3 months max. Are racing games selling cars for real money too? Sounds like a decent genre to switch to.

Don't be fooled by 'player feedback has been positive'. Those players most likely aren't allowed to see 90% of the game, including endgame.

Originally posted by crasset15

Cash shop...

This tells a lot about what they expect from their game - The game is not good enough to sustain itself without a cash shop. They want as much of your money in the first few months as possible, before people realize it is just another clone and start leaving. If Zenimax knew it was a good game and really engaged players, they would go B2P or B2P+P2P only.

You do realize that B2P actually implies having a Cash shop, right? GW2 as the most popular B2P game has it. Same goes for WoW (P2P game), with it's vanity pets.

Originally posted by DeniZg

Cash shop...

You do realize that B2P actually implies having a Cash shop, right? GW2 as the most popular B2P game has it. Same goes for WoW (P2P game), with it's vanity pets.

Just because others have done it doesn't mean everyone from now on will have to do it. They most likely will anyway, since this genre has turned into an endless money grabbing cycle of low quality games.

Cash shop...

Just because others have done it doesn't mean everyone from now on will have to do it. They most likely will anyway, since this genre has turned into an endless money grabbing cycle of low quality games.

I somewhat agree with your statement about low-quality games.

But, how woud you plan to return your MMO investment, if you opt for B2P game without cash-shop? Look at the Skyrim units sold and revenue here. If TESO sells the same amount of units as did Skyrim on PC (1.4 mil.), it's not very likely  they will get much profit out of it, without the cash shop.

Cash shop...

I somewhat agree with your statement about low-quality games.

But, how woud you plan to return your MMO investment, if you opt for B2P game without cash-shop? Look at the Skyrim units sold and revenue here. If TESO sells the same amount of units as did Skyrim on PC (1.4 mil.), it's not very likely  they will get much profit out of it, without the cash shop.

I understand that my view is flawed on it, but I feel that when a company announces a cash shop, they've given up already. It's like they come out and publicly advertise that their game is simply not good enough, so they have to introduce gimmicks like cash shops to keep it floating. Again, as I stated first, I understand this view is flawed, and not reality with some titles. But I can't deny that's how it makes me feel about those games, hehe.

when a company announces a cash shop, they've given up already.

My thoughts exactly.

I understand that my view is flawed on it, but I feel that when a company announces a cash shop, they've given up already. It's like they come out and publicly advertise that their game is simply not good enough, so they have to introduce gimmicks like cash shops to keep it floating. Again, as I stated first, I understand this view is flawed, and not reality with some titles. But I can't deny that's how it makes me feel about those games, hehe.

Personally, if company decides on B2P + cash shop model for MMO, I see it like them admitting that the game has enough content  to justify box price, while the multiplayer component and future development will be financed (sustained) via cash-shop.

Personally, if company decides on B2P + cash shop model for MMO, I see it like them admitting that the game has enough content  to justify box price, while the multiplayer component and future development will be financed (sustained) via cash-shop.

Yeah, I can follow and understand that view. And it's fair enough, I guess. I'm just so heavily set against cash shops of any kind hehe.

If they wanted to finance future content, they would charge you for expansion packs.

If they want to lay off most of the pre-launch staff, go on life-support with a small team, and milk the remaining players as much as possible, they will go cash shop.

Two different ways to make money, one requires developer effort, other one doesn't.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Don't forget the 150 hours is per faction. And after you finish yours, you can spend another 150 hours doing 50+ content in the second faction and then an additional 150 hours doing 50++ content in the third faction.
  • ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    Don't forget the 150 hours is per faction. And after you finish yours, you can spend another 150 hours doing 50+ content in the second faction and then an additional 150 hours doing 50++ content in the third faction.

I'm reading 150 hour for all quests in the game not 150 per faction. But even 150 per faction is nothing special. I've spent much more time playing other MMO's without having enough tme to finish all quests. In 5 years of EQ2 i still had tons of open quests and stories to discover. Its like a whole magnitude of difference between thoose mmo's and eso.