Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Newsflash every mmo is a grind !!! news at eleven !!!

But for GW2 its worth it, ive spend close to 1200 hours so i got my fun out of it.
    Iam a total pvp freak and had a blast :)

• Originally posted by Fluxii
    People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.

You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.

Actually no. Go play some WvW and get your "pretty" armor.

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.

You don't have to... If you want your pretty ascended items go do some guild missons with your guild or go do daily and monthly or just play your WvW.

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.

-_-

Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.

You don't have to do this. It is up to you.So it isn't grind. You don't even know what is grind and what is not...

Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.

Yeah. If you don't want grind so go buy some gems. It is that simple. And you're calling grind just one our cof farm for 200 gem... Yeah it is a big deal...

I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.

You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.

Yeah if you have money you can just craft for leveling. It is up to you again.What is the big deal?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    **snip**

You should perhaps enlighten me to some of these games .... I enjoyed Shadowbane but have played nothing else like it , WoW ,Warhammer,Rift  and similar games were basic pve for pvp gear without three sided action ...AOC just sucked . So there was DAOC and GW2 for WvW  and to be honest GW2 has been every bit as good as DAOC was if not better

I dipped my toes into WvW a couple of weeks ago to complete my monthly.  I ran around in a zerg for a couple of hours, smashed heads with the two opposing zergs, and accrued a hefty repair cost.  I think it could be fun, and I would like to spend more time doing it, but I'm just not into having to farm for gold to keep up with repairs.  That aspect of WvW could definitely be improved.

Repair costs are the price to pay if you're doing poorly. If your doing bad enough to where you are acruing large gold depths for repairs (large enough to think about it as a cash sink), then you are generally playing very poorly, or are following others that are not good leaders.

If you play WvW with others who think strategically, make intelligent & quick decisions, and are decent players, you will be spending MUCH LESS gold. In fact, many of the more serious WvW players on my server make money doing WvW only. The only thing they ever really have to do from time to time is gather up superior siege blueprints. That's about it.

I'd highly suggest trying to stay away from the general zerg, and join a more organized / skillful force. They tend to be much more fun, far more interesting, and far less costly.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Grailer
    I heard its fun till you get to max level .  according to Krip  , and he doesn't play it anymore so It must be bad .

krip say this krip say that

HE WAS BANNED FOR EXPLOITING then he said its a bad game

same thing was with Neverwinter

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Fluxii

People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.

You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.

Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.

Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.

I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.

You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.

You can hit 80 quickly to "not grind". /sarcasm

**edit

OH! I almost forgot, those jumping puzzles don't Grind themselves!  Try most of those in one shot. =p

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/386497/page/2

Fluxii - "I'm not trying to be a dick, but seriously, the negativity on the site, is about 10-1 vs. the positive comments and interactions.  Trying to filter through a sea of discord is often frustrating."

Ironic, isn't it?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

It depends.

If you want to play a MMORPG that you complete at 80, the game is quite good.

If you're looking for a game with content after max level, I would go elsewhere.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If we are going to label collection of tokens/items in any form as grinding you could say the same about 'score', 'gold', 'points' etc. I.e in that case every single game made is a grind. Equating repeatable gameplay to the word grind strips the word grind of any meaning.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    So, what is the difference between repeatable content and grind (my take is grind = forced through pressure to 'progress')

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    So, what is the difference between repeatable content and grind (my take is grind = forced through pressure to 'progress')

Well... the term grind used to be 'being forced to do some trivial, repetative task in order to progress'.

The term now means 'anything repetative' (aka all games ever)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Wildstar should be a like-WoW-but-different-enough game, if that's what you want. It looks good.

As for GW2, ask yourself if you're willing to play a game that has:

1) Relatively fast leveling

2) Almost no gear grind at endgame

3) No raiding

4) No dedicated tanks or healers

5) A limited (~20-40) number of abilities you can use at once.

It has great game IMO, but not a WoW replacement.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It's good for a getting a couple classes to max level, at least.  The main thing that turned me off is that there's no real reliable way to make money, and so the community has "devolved" into finding the "best way" and keeping it within a tight circle until it leaks on youtube and is inevitable nerfed by Anet since all the economies are linked together and one server ruins it for the rests.

They even made it so you could only get one rare per account on dragon fights, as opposed to character.  So many who had max characters for this point were irritated by this and either quit or bought five accounts to make up for it.  Though that borders of people using money to get advantages for me, even if it's a player choice and only partially influenced by the design choices of ANet.

Well made game with a lot of polish.  Good for just roaming about the lands after a few weeks off just to feel like an adventurer and take a break from your "main" MMO if you don't treat GW2 as your main.

With me -- and I admit it's a personal problem whereby I just have to suck it up and accept it -- I get depressed when I log in because I want to buy cultural armor and don't have the gold for it.  Do the dragons once per day, and run about the favored farming spot for events (which has been nerfed and buffed and nerfed and buffed again throughout the months) for an hour or two a night when I have the time.  But it's an economy based entirely on RNG and even massive hardwork of trying to get a precursor for six plus months before giving up has yielded no results.  Kind've made me appreciate dailies in WoW, even if MoP went over board with it.  At the very least I could make 20,000 gold in a week and get what I want in game.  Hard work should be rewarded in a game, and should not be subject to RNG (at least when it comes to in game gold as things such as raids it's inevitable to keep the appeal for some) as we get enough of that in the real world and the troubles with economy thereof.

But again, that's all my opinion and just not how the game is made.  Have to accept it and work at it or just hate it and only play when you get bored of something else like myself.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I heard its fun till you get to max level .  according to Krip  , and he doesn't play it anymore so It must be bad .

Yeah, because we must all follow in the path of a mediocre player and not play anything that he doesn't like.

Really though, it's up to you. Depends what you're in to. I've played it since launch, with a few breaks here and there. I've tried playing other games here lately to mix it up when I can, but it feels odd not having the option to dodge my opponents in combat after playing Guild Wars 2.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Master.Ryu

Yeah, because we must all follow in the path of a mediocre player and not play anything that he doesn't like.

Really though, it's up to you. Depends what you're in to. I've played it since launch, with a few breaks here and there. I've tried playing other games here lately to mix it up when I can, but it feels odd not having the option to dodge my opponents in combat after playing Guild Wars 2.

I play GW2 casually, I play a couple of hourse for 2-3w every day -and not 10-20hrs/day like some addicts do-, then I might not touch the game in a 2-3w or longer, I love the game, if you play it 10hrs/day and you live+sleep GW2 I can understand that some people might say the game is lacking endgame content and boring, because the devs can never keep up with those players.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ForgottenKnightForgottenKnight Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I've taken my mesmer to max lvl and some other classes. It's a pretty fun game if you don't plan to invest to much time into it. You can pretty much see all PVE content on 1 character which makes rerolling new classes pretty boring and just a grinding XP fest. It's pretty quick though. The WvW is nice and they're constantly changing it, mostly for the better and just recently added new rewards for WvW pvp. The arena PVP is fun if you find a proper team to play with. Overall the experience is OK, and prepare for alot of grinding different pay tokens/xp and whatever. GW2 got so many different pay tokens it's insane and you have to grind them all to get something nice. So to claim that GW2 isn't a grind would be to tell a white lie.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I don't think it's fair to call him a mediocre player.  I've seen a few of his streams, and he's quite boring to me.  But the main reason he has fans is because he had the balls / skill / luck to be the first to complete Diablo III Hardcore Inferno mode before the nerf occurred.  It does not make him a great all round gamer, but many wouldn't even touch permanent death modes within games -- especially in games were the difficulty was grueling at the start -- to begin with.

Most personalities get fans because of their personalities.  Though it just seems he has them because he accomplished something no one else in the world did prior to the nerf of the infamous Inferno difficulty in hardcore mode.  His personality is somewhat lacking in my opinion (when it comes to speaking in terms of entertainment personalities) and thus it's unfair to just refer to him as "average" when talking about player skill.

But I realize that people will follow others as part of human nature and your point was probably to say that one should decide things on their own.  This is true, but as a whole humans do need leadership.  We're dumb in large groups without focused direction or dictation.  We naturally gravitate towards leadership and follow their choices and as such become less incompetent as a whole (as hard as it is to believe).  Isolationists are typically very smart, but also lack that certain leadership charm.  The lonewolves of humanity as it were.  But in large groups people think and act stupidly to try and be recognized by their peer group.  We all might act stupid at times to try and make our friends laugh when hanging out "with the guys" from time to time.

In a sense we're the opposite of those rats in Guild Wars 2; we're smart on our own and when we have to think things through by ourselves.  But together we get lazy and prone to stupidy such as the example given above (hellooooo internet!).  Until the voice of reason tells us we're being stupid (in my opinion every group needs one of these).  This is why even intelligent people rely on other intelligent people; why scholars accept peer reviewed thesis without question.  We trust in them and their research and abilities.  This is even true with internet sensations that have the allure of being smart or bringing fair logic to the table.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I don't think it's fair to call him a mediocre player.  I've seen a few of his streams, and he's quite boring to me.  But the main reason he has fans is because he had the balls / skill / luck to be the first to complete Diablo III Hardcore Inferno mode before the nerf occurred.  It does not make him a great all round gamer, but many wouldn't even touch permanent death modes within games -- especially in games were the difficulty was grueling at the start -- to begin with.

Most personalities get fans because of their personalities.  Though it just seems he has them because he accomplished something no one else in the world did prior to the nerf of the infamous Inferno difficulty in hardcore mode.  His personality is somewhat lacking in my opinion (when it comes to speaking in terms of entertainment personalities) and thus it's unfair to just refer to him as "average" when talking about player skill.

But I realize that people will follow others as part of human nature and your point was probably to say that one should decide things on their own.  This is true, but as a whole humans do need leadership.  We're dumb in large groups without focused direction or dictation.  We naturally gravitate towards leadership and follow their choices and as such become less incompetent as a whole (as hard as it is to believe).  Isolationists are typically very smart, but also lack that certain leadership charm.  The lonewolves of humanity as it were.  But in large groups people think and act stupidly to try and be recognized by their peer group.  We all might act stupid at times to try and make our friends laugh when hanging out "with the guys" from time to time.

In a sense we're the opposite of those rats in Guild Wars 2; we're smart on our own and when we have to think things through by ourselves.  But together we get lazy and prone to stupidy such as the example given above (hellooooo internet!).  Until the voice of reason tells us we're being stupid (in my opinion every group needs one of these).  This is why even intelligent people rely on other intelligent people; why scholars accept peer reviewed thesis without question.  We trust in them and their research and abilities.  This is even true with internet sensations that have the allure of being smart or bringing fair logic to the table.

I was mainly trying to let him know that, that's not the way to choose whether or not you should purchase a game and play it for yourself. To solely judge whether or not someone should buy a game based on someone elses opinions, whether they claim they're the greatest or not, is just plain silly.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

It's a great game. Great place to have fun.

It is NOT a time-sink. If you want a game to force you to play every day to do the top content, it's not for you.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

For what it's worth, I got in pre-Beta and have been playing ever since. The game is phenomenal in my opinion at least. The combat flows better than any others I've played, but only once you realize that you're not locked into a "tank/healer/dps" role. You actually have to learn the skills - learn as in know the secondary effects, often tertiary effects, some skills while active are replaced with "follow up" skills, etc. You can not get away with any form of rotation based combat. 

WvW to me and many others is highly addictive and an absolute blast. There's still so much I haven't done in the game because of the lure of WvW. I easily spend 90% of my time there. 

Is it worth it? Hell ya. No subscription fee, ever. No pay to win. Buy it, play forever. For a game of this quality, that's amazing. Hope to see you in game! image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by LordShockTitan

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

I wouldn't consider GW2 a pvp game. It's all instanced pvp, no open world pvp at all. You're also basically doing the kill quest grind like other games except they hide it a little bit with calling it dynamic events. There's no way of knowing if you will like it though unless you try it out. I got bored with it after 2 weeks and hitting max level. It's an extremely casual friendly, hand holding game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I remember playing the game in beta. I thought it s not bad, no sub, so no big deal. Played it at release and after 2-3 weeks was bored silly. Ok well theres WvW.  Terrible wannabe DAOC attempt. My wife and I played strictly WvW after we realized the pve was one of the worst we played in a long while. Needless to say, it s just not fun at all. Our guild of 200+ had 2-3 on at a time after a month. Logged in the other day and no one was on every time I checked throughout the day.  

Take that for what it s worth, but for me and my wife and many many many many people that were in our guild obviously thought it wasn t worth the purchase price.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

I wouldn't consider GW2 a pvp game. It's all instanced pvp, no open world pvp at all. You're also basically doing the kill quest grind like other games except they hide it a little bit with calling it dynamic events. There's no way of knowing if you will like it though unless you try it out. I got bored with it after 2 weeks and hitting max level. It's an extremely casual friendly, hand holding game.

agree 100%

i got bores after about 3 weeks

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Systematically the game is an interesting attempt to reverse the old themepark philosophy.

I feel the biggest problem for many that have quit is that the, 'meta', game is lacking. 

The lack of meta game could be defined by many things. It could the lack of endgame. It could be the lack of free market economics and the obvious grindiness of a game that claims otherwise. It could be the lack of social interaction to progress. It could be the instanced WvWvW zergfest. It could be the poorly told main story etc,etc

There are more, but what you have here is a decent looking, combat orientated, game that your better off playing with real life friends. It's clearly been put together by developers as a labor of love, but for me it's not a great MMO because it's lacking a reason to commit to it longterm, probably because of some of the reasons above.

Worth a try? I'd say so. Your lucky as well because if you resisted most of the fanbois attempt to predict the second coming before the game launched, then you won't be disappointed, as some were on here.

Good game, just not enough going for it longterm for me.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You must have missed WvW then... nothing instanced about that. Four massive persistent zones, about as open as it gets without being able to kill your own team. Now, the structured PvP, that's definitely instanced by design, your classic "arena" style match ups. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Op:
    It's worth playing for the pve for a few months, as its decidedly not wow style glorified lobby game pve.

But I think you will find WvW disappointing if you are currently playing ps2.

Volk:
    It's not persistent, they have a gamey reset with a leader board every 2 weeks.

"about as open as it gets" - nope... daoc, planetside, planetside 2 and even war and aion have much bigger pvp areas THAT ARE A PART OF THE WORLD, or the entire world in the case if planetside. Gw2 has 4 medium sized boxes you teleport in and out of, where you cant even walk from one into the 3 others but have to teleport back to the lobby area first.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I wouldn't consider GW2 a pvp game. It's all instanced pvp, (NO, only sPVP is) no open world pvp at all. You're also basically doing the kill quest grind like other games except they hide it a little bit with calling it dynamic events. There's no way of knowing if you will like it though unless you try it out (Yes, that's all you had to say). I got bored with it after 2 weeks and hitting max level. It's an extremely casual friendly (YES), hand holding game (NO).

^just some notes^

If you don't like the game, that's fine.  Just don't try to disseminate false info is all.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor