Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

Comments

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I like playing with people, I like making and keeping friends and guilds. This is why I log on to mmos after the romance of a new game is over....Community !.....GW2 is like going to a really good mall by yourself, tons of people around you the staff in all the stores are friendly and will help you out in what you are buying. But when you walk away YOU WILL BE ALL ALONE AGAIN !

To me its a game packed with features, but an mmo ?.....No !

My friend loves it, but he like to play solo. Me, well after I learned learned my class I hated it.....I don't play mmos to play alone.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I am in the same boat as the OP...WHile I hear some great reasons to play it, I also hear a lot of reasons why it wouldn't appeal to me personally......If gear is pretty much just for looks and there isn't much of an endgame, I just don't see the carrot that will keep me playing......While the graphics, smoothness, polish, animations, etc are all nice qualities to have, I also need major incentive to log in.......None of those things is as important to me as character development....Also Im not a PVPer either and it sounds like the WvWvW conflict didn't work out as well as they thought it would.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

GW2 is definitely worth it for a month or two (somewhat hardcore play) and the occasional coming back every once in a while to see what new or temporary content they added.  WvW can be very exciting at first, but gets a bit dull after a while and tends to devolve into a zerg fest.  The combat is the best you'll find in any MMO and on the level of a GOOD action RPG single player game.  PvE will last you a while depending on how you approach content and how often you play, but eventually you'll reach the endgame with little form of progression and weak guild oriented content.  I'd argue it's the best MMO on the market right now for short term play (if you are looking for longer try EQ2, AoC, or even WoW).

It is VERY different from WoW, though still a themepark in every way.  There are some things I wish it would have taken from WoW, like raiding for example, but nearly every bit of the game tries to set itself apart from WoW and be unique in it's own right.  It does a pretty good job and it's definitely a unique experience I'd recommend to others, don't expect it to have content to keep you satisfied for years though, even if you are a casual player you'll likely exhaust through the content rather quickly since it's all solo oriented with very little grinding for progression.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by LordShockTitan

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

bought it, played for a month and thats all.

quality game but not as good as gw1 in its time. i was expecting much more tbh, especially as a gw1 lover.

if you ask me i say go for RIFT. it is a quality game too, with excellent and hard dungeons/raids, great talent system, plenty options to play as multi or single player and wow like pvp. big plus is also fast content updates.

if you add that it has one of the best f2p model (imo wiith TERA), then RIFT is a great choice.

btw you can start playing right now (f2p starts 12 june) by taking advantage of raptr reward http://raptr.com/game/Rift/rewards

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I wish I had never spent the $59 plus tax

Game is ok pve game

WvW is just plain stupid.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Manolios

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

bought it, played for a month and thats all.

quality game but not as good as gw1 in its time. i was expecting much more tbh, especially as a gw1 lover.

if you ask me i say go for RIFT. it is a quality game too, with excellent and hard dungeons/raids, great talent system, plenty options to play as multi or single player and wow like pvp. big plus is also fast content updates.

if you add that it has one of the best f2p model (imo wiith TERA), then RIFT is a great choice.

btw you can start playing right now (f2p starts 12 june) by taking advantage of raptr reward http://raptr.com/game/Rift/rewards

Rift is a gear grind just like WOW .....if you want to chase a carrot hand feed one step at a time this is a good option

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I wish I had never spent the $59 plus tax

Game is ok pve game

WvW is just plain stupid.

WvW is skill based much more then gear based ,,,,folks that like repetition that rewards better gear find it frustrating and stupid when facing opponents that own them with superior skills not just time spent playing

• LordShockTitanLordShockTitan Member Posts: 16
    Wow thanks for all the feedback! Never even thought this thread would get these many responses. Anyways, I will make a decision on whether or not the game is for me. By soon I mean in a day or two. Thanks again
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bad dog
    It's not the lack of gear that makes WvW somewhat average. It's its gameyness and general lack of strategy compared to simmilar pvp in other games. Oh also stupid downed state and the massive gold sink if you decide to level within it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Is it worth the money? 60 bucks for 100-200 hours of content, sure I guess.

Is it worth the time investment? I would have to say no. At the end of my three weeks I felt robbed. Not because of the money I spent, but because my time invested  returned nothing. I think that's by design though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Tried Rift, but for some reason could not get into it. I do not want WoW, but I want a game with fluid combat and lots of end game content like WoW.

I also forgot to mention that I like MMO's with a end game to it, like Rift or WoW and so on...

GW2 is not like WOW.

You mentioned WOW already multiple times, if a player is looking something in a game and they mention the Blizzard game + endgame content (raiding) with each post, then odds are the player is still not done with the Blizzard game.

Keep playing WOW is my advice.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Tried Rift, but for some reason could not get into it. I do not want WoW, but I want a game with fluid combat and lots of end game content like WoW.

I also forgot to mention that I like MMO's with a end game to it, like Rift or WoW and so on...

GW2 is not like WOW.

You mentioned WOW already multiple times, if a player is looking something in a game and they mention the Blizzard game + endgame content (raiding) with each post, then odds are the player is still not done with the Blizzard game.

i advised him to try RIFT, but i think you are right here. he maybe have to just keep playing wow :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by Muke

GW2 is not like WOW.

i advised him to try RIFT, but i think you are right here. he maybe have to just keep playing wow :)

Had a friend at work who played W*W at the time, was looking for a new MMO, as I played basicly all other western MMOs+some Asian grinders in the past I asked him what he was looking for in such a new game, all he came up with was describing Blizzard's game and content.

Then he realized all he ever wanted was W*W.

If older games aren't a problem for the OP I could also point at EQ2 or AOC which has some nice endgame content, both have F2P models.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bad dog
    It's not the lack of gear that makes WvW somewhat average. It's its gameyness and general lack of strategy compared to simmilar pvp in other games. Oh also stupid downed state and the massive gold sink if you decide to level within it.

You should perhaps enlighten me to some of these games .... I enjoyed Shadowbane but have played nothing else like it , WoW ,Warhammer,Rift  and similar games were basic pve for pvp gear without three sided action ...AOC just sucked . So there was DAOC and GW2 for WvW  and to be honest GW2 has been every bit as good as DAOC was if not better

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    Honestly it's Fantastic for the price and no monthly fee on top of that the ingame store has basic things like bag slot upgrades and bank slots but they already give you plenty of space for things and the rest of the things you get just from playing literally i really think Anet has set a Standard with no monthly subs and the game itself has SO much content! Also i havnt played in 2 months or so but i'm going back...Fantastic WvW very similar too daoc RvR if you have anymore questions i can pm you.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bad dog

You should perhaps enlighten me to some of these games .... I enjoyed Shadowbane but have played nothing else like it , WoW ,Warhammer,Rift  and similar games were basic pve for pvp gear without three sided action ...AOC just sucked . So there was DAOC and GW2 for WvW  and to be honest GW2 has been every bit as good as DAOC was if not better

I dipped my toes into WvW a couple of weeks ago to complete my monthly.  I ran around in a zerg for a couple of hours, smashed heads with the two opposing zergs, and accrued a hefty repair cost.  I think it could be fun, and I would like to spend more time doing it, but I'm just not into having to farm for gold to keep up with repairs.  That aspect of WvW could definitely be improved.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It was worth 700+ more hours than Rift or Skyrim or pretty much anything since WoW to ME, but it sounds like you're looking for something else.  GW2's endgame is a bit of a grind, but the journey is fantastic.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    To be honest dog, I found warhammer more fun despite only having 2 sides.

Well until bioware got hold of it and introduced stupid wow style wtfpwn gear.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Most of us who have actually played will probably tell you it's worth it.  Of course we knew what the game was about when we bought it.  Those who supposedly "played" a week or two to give some validity as to why the game is horrible are kind of suspect because they act like they didn't know what the end game, pvp, quest mechanics, or combat was like beforehand.  That info is not top secret and considering the open beta and build up before launch makes a lot of their claims of being betrayed or blind sided even more laughable.  Sure not everyone who plays the game is going to play it forever or fall in love with it, but when they post complaining about the features of the game, AFTER they "played" it is like complaining about driving a 4WD truck even though it has a 4x4 label on the side.

All of that above really doesn't apply to people who simply think the game is boring.  I'm sure what ever game they prefer has had the same said about it as well.

So my advice, get to know as much about the game before you buy it.  Don't rely on us fans or haters here at MMORPG.com though because our opinions, no matter what side of the fence we sit on, will be biased.  Check up on videos, reviews, and on the official forums for better info.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by rodingo

Most of us who have actually played will probably tell you it's worth it.  Of course we knew what the game was about when we bought it.  Those who supposedly "played" a week or two to give some validity as to why the game is horrible are kind of suspect because they act like they didn't know what the end game, pvp, quest mechanics, or combat was like beforehand.  That info is not top secret and considering the open beta and build up before launch makes a lot of their claims of being betrayed or blind sided even more laughable.  Sure not everyone who plays the game is going to play it forever or fall in love with it, but when they post complaining about the features of the game, AFTER they "played" it is like complaining about driving a 4WD truck even though it has a 4x4 label on the side.

All of that above really doesn't apply to people who simply think the game is boring.  I'm sure what ever game they prefer has had the same said about it as well.

So my advice, get to know as much about the game before you buy it.  Don't rely on us fans or haters here at MMORPG.com though because our opinions, no matter what side of the fence we sit on, will be biased.  Check up on videos, reviews, and on the official forums for better info.

This and another poster on page 4 had good advice about sticking with WoW that is good advice especially if you need endgame like WoW.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LordShockTitanLordShockTitan Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by rodingo

This and another poster on page 4 had good advice about sticking with WoW that is good advice especially if you need endgame like WoW.

If all else fails, then I may go back to WoW. Already have 700 hours into that game, and afraid to double that if I have to. Thouhg I quit WoW two years ago, and promised myself I will never go back to it unless MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Anyways,  whole point is, I'll go back to WoW if there is no other option.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I think gw2 is well worth it. Combat flows with a fast pace, reflexes and timing are key. There is plenty of content and regular updates giving you something new to check out more than once a month. I find myself trying to dodge in all games now, lol. Lots of grind to be had but little needed and an excellent community. If you can get a chance to try it you should def give it a go. 
  • FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.

You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.

Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.

Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.

I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.

You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.

You can hit 80 quickly to "not grind". /sarcasm

**edit

OH! I almost forgot, those jumping puzzles don't Grind themselves!  Try most of those in one shot. =p

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Oh god, another 'grind' post. Well for the sake of appearances here's the answer yet again - grind = forced to repeat something over and over for some goal. In gw2 any and every activity gives rewards that can be applies to every and any goal - so you only repeat something if you want to.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Fluxii

People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.

You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.

Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.

Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.

I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.

You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.

You can hit 80 quickly to "not grind". /sarcasm

**edit

OH! I almost forgot, those jumping puzzles don't Grind themselves!  Try most of those in one shot. =p

a bit funny but very true imo