Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Editorial] General: Why Titan Was Delayed and Reset

123457»

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

What is scary is they had upwards of 130 people developing the previous version ... and it would still have taken them 7+ years to put the game out.

Un ... fracking ... real.

If other good developers had even 50% of the money Blizzard has raked in they would have either put out many more games of all kinds or had an mmo like Wow with 5 times the content added.

Where does all the money go?!

You stay sassy!

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,212Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rhinotones
    Originally posted by azmundai

i dont get why everyone is so shocked .. or pleased or w/e .. by all of this. it's pretty standard. why do you think it takes 5 years to develop an mmo? this is blizzard we are talking about .. they always do this. its pretty much expected. you should be commending them for not just continuing along a failed path and forcing it out before its ready.

If it was your business and the development team came to you after 5 years and said sorry we spent  X million but our product is going to fail, how would you react? There is no "pretty standard" with this or have people truly become conditioned to accepting epic failures of this scale as standard business practice? Sorry but I can't commend any business for such a staggering failure. It was touted as the Dream Team of gaming development. So many great minds condensed into creating the next amazing MMO and after 5 years to pull the plug say a lot.

People should be asking the question - What went wrong? Did they fail to read the market or listen to the end users? Did someone beat them in releasing a similar product? etc etc.

Sure, Blizzard are renowned for taking their time and keeping everything super hush hush but as a Blizzard fan and supporter I'm pretty concerned by this. 

No it's standard operating procedure for Blizzard. The team wasn't hiding off in a corner somewhere building the game and realized it wouldn't work. They've been keeping management apprised of their progress. They just hit the point where it was decided to go another way. Most companies would just say " aww  screw it. Finish it off and ship it anyway." Blizzard won't. That's not an epic failure by any measure.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaPosts: 238Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Rhinotones
    Originally posted by azmundai

i dont get why everyone is so shocked .. or pleased or w/e .. by all of this. it's pretty standard. why do you think it takes 5 years to develop an mmo? this is blizzard we are talking about .. they always do this. its pretty much expected. you should be commending them for not just continuing along a failed path and forcing it out before its ready.

If it was your business and the development team came to you after 5 years and said sorry we spent  X million but our product is going to fail, how would you react? There is no "pretty standard" with this or have people truly become conditioned to accepting epic failures of this scale as standard business practice? Sorry but I can't commend any business for such a staggering failure. It was touted as the Dream Team of gaming development. So many great minds condensed into creating the next amazing MMO and after 5 years to pull the plug say a lot.

People should be asking the question - What went wrong? Did they fail to read the market or listen to the end users? Did someone beat them in releasing a similar product? etc etc.

Sure, Blizzard are renowned for taking their time and keeping everything super hush hush but as a Blizzard fan and supporter I'm pretty concerned by this. 

No it's standard operating procedure for Blizzard. The team wasn't hiding off in a corner somewhere building the game and realized it wouldn't work. They've been keeping management apprised of their progress. They just hit the point where it was decided to go another way. Most companies would just say " aww  screw it. Finish it off and ship it anyway." Blizzard won't. That's not an epic failure by any measure.

But does it not amaze you that so much money and time has been wasted? Maybe I'm behind the times because where I come from heads would roll and people be fired for this, if in fact the company could survive such a failure. Maybe Blizzard has it's own rule sets, maybe they are that big that to them this is a minor glitch.

There are many people that just seem to be accepting it because it's Blizzard and looking at it subjectively rather than objectively.

Lets change the scenario here and say that this news is regarding Wildstar or another anticipated game. Would people still be just as accepting?

• NeherunNeherun St. MichelPosts: 278Member

Murphy 11:6 "Rejoice, for the hour is nigh! The Tyrant has grown weak, and the players of Old and New will Clash on the fields of Ever NEXT. The Beast shall not yet fall, for its heads are many and its minions care not for change; But a blow will be struck. Such a fatal wound cannot heal, and after seventeen years the Titan of Sand will rise. It will sever the heads of the Best, and return the reign of sand and freedom. Players of the Old will sigh in relief, whilst the players of new will suffer in agony and flames until they all endorse the change. The old order will return, as prophesied by many: For we have heard what lurks in the shadows of development."

• bbbb42bbbb42 none, FLPosts: 297Member Uncommon
    blizzard loves to waste money and time 

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom EnglandPosts: 44Member Uncommon
    In terms of monetary return, not in terms of gameplay!

Self improvement is masturbation - and I love it!

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,453Member Uncommon

I don't think looks was the reason because they wouldn't license a new engine if they didn't care about looks,they would have kept using the Warcraft engine.It is possible somebody else beat them to the punch.

I think it VERY possible there are some leaks going back n forth between Blizzard and SOE as they always seem to be copying each other.Soe also scrapped their game ideas 18 months ago,maybe it took that long for Blizzard to get word of the new direction and saw it was perhaps better than the direction they were taking.

You can easily see Blizzard's design philosophy from all their past employees.They seem to build on going low end tech to keep cost down both of development and running the game.Blizzard is not a trend setter,they tend to look at other games and copy what is a current success.They copied Command N Conquer template,they copied EQ template.

They have recently seen an all out insurgence on the F2P market,so to sell a sub fee they will need to be better in every aspect of game design.You cannot make a thousand quests,ugly graphics and a bunch of end game dungeons and think players will scoop it up.Also every other game has done the hand holding thing,nothing left for Blizzard to do there.I think i will stick with my idea on them getting leaked info from EQ:Next and trying to directly compete with SOE.

Samoan Diamond

• XylethXyleth Pinson, ALPosts: 1Member
    Blizzard: Releasing next-generation games three generations from now... maybe.
123457»