Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by Brachus

Please stop complaining about games released prior to 2013 being on the list. If you take the time to read the intro:

"The list will include titles new to the industry this year, and past titles that have been doing “all the right stuff” so far... essentially it’ll be a recount of the games we think are hitting all the right notes in 2013."

My list would be:

3) Neverwinter

2) TSW

1) GW2

Lol it was driving me crazy wanting to scream out what you just mentioned about the fact that the games listed either released this year or within the last year or two.  While I've been out of the loop for most of this year it makes sense to me to include games that are a little older since there haven't been many games released this year (and certainly none that are that good) if games like any version of Darkfall,any cryptic game or the much hated SWTOR could make the list.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

2013..i am assuming that this is "up to 2013" since eve is on there.

Listen, i don't play wow anymore but it  has more subs than all those games combined. These articles are becoming so incredibly biased it's not even worth reading them. 

rewrite the article to "my personal favorite mmos'" and call a spade a spade please.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Why people keep mentioning Neverwinter? Its not even half decent. Run through narrow corridors watching terrible animation, spam one button on easymode bosses which all do the same. Is it kind of gameplay todays gamers want?
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Age of Wushu is a ray of hope in this list being the first real 3rd gen MMO.  Ironically, its everything veteran gamers have been wishing for since the UO/EQ/SB era, and no one even knows it exists.  People see kung fu and think another cheap asian grinder.  Except DF:UW, every other game in the list in comparison is just the same old MMO rewrapped with trivial additions, while wushu has open world pvp,  player driven world and economy (sandbox),  has unparalleled action based combat and offers more to do every day than you could accomplish if you sat at your computer from sun up to sun down.  The game is quality from graphics and gameplay, to the music and sound.  If you like immersion, theres plenty in AoW.

100% agreed. People think its another asian grinder. Truth is AoW is one of the best and most unique MMORPGs in recent years and easily can teach some lessons to games like Guild Wars 2 or Rift

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Man, if you guys like arguing about this one... I can't wait to see your reaction to next week's "Worst of 2013... So Far" list.

I think SW:TOR should be on that list.

That would be awesome.  Though, I would hire a good lawyer otherwise you could get sued for the collective head explosions from those that love the game, and those that hate it (due to the fact that it is recognized as both worst and one of the best).

• hasaosanhasaosan Member UncommonPosts: 13

6 3 and 2 are the only mmos that should be on this list the rest are epic piles of crap

darkfall is 1 of the worst mmos ive ever played

swtor was a collosal fail and if i remember correctly was the shortest lived p2p game ever

gw2 was a fail aswell from what 99% of gw players said

tsw is an outdated game that doesnt deserve to be on any lists

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by hasaosan

6 3 and 2 are the only mmos that should be on this list the rest are epic piles of crap

swtor was a collosal fail and if i remember correctly was the shortest lived p2p game ever

SWTOR still has more P2P members than most every other sub based game out there.

GW2 was a failure for those who spent all there MMO years in GW1, but for the majority of the mmo population GW2 was a success. GW1 was very niche, and GW2 opened it up to many more people.

TSW is not outdated, had a great concept on player builds and a unique storyline for MMO's. It just didn't have enough to do after you maxed the skill wheel, and pvp was severely lacking in the building.

Darkfall....i agree. :P

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Holice
    Originally posted by hasaosan

SWTOR still has more P2P members than most every other sub based game out there.

GW2 was a failure for those who spent all there MMO years in GW1, but for the majority of the mmo population GW2 was a success. GW1 was very niche, and GW2 opened it up to many more people.

TSW is not outdated, had a great concept on player builds and a unique storyline for MMO's. It just didn't have enough to do after you maxed the skill wheel, and pvp was severely lacking in the building.

Darkfall....i agree. :P

I spent most of my MMO time in GW1 and I enjoy GW2 a lot.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Hordequester8Hordequester8 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Do not agree with the list but that is only my view :)

tera, rift, wow, aion are missing ... throw away swtor, neverwinter, dfuw :)

Throw away new and decent games to add tired old bs? Pass.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

I'm very surprised Rift didn't make the list. It may be true that low level zones are somewhat desolate, but the game has an extremely healthy player base for endgame content. My server (Icewatch EU) has a 30+ minutes queue every night. With F2P around the corner I think Rift has a bright future ahead of it. Also the next expansion will be revealed in the coming months, so Trion is not dropping Rift anytime soon.

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by OldMMOGamer
    This is MMORPG's list folks....If your game isn't on there don't have a freak session . 

Exactly haha, people are freaking out right now. Wall of text and all. I wonder if most of them realize no ones reading pass the 2nd wall of text.

Anyways, seems like a legit list to me. Factoring in everything like gameplay, updates, new content additions (Speed of release), fixes, community love/hate. Yep, these are the show runners in my opinion as well. GW2 is definitely the King. I've been impressed constantly since they released. Great gameplay, beautiful game, constant updates and F2P once you bought it.

A note on Wow: The Americas are no longer the bread and butter of that game, Asia is. Get used to coming in second people.

A note on Rift: Its so empty in there. Really fun game but if almost no one plays it, why the fuck should it be on a list!?

A note on SWTOR: <-- My favorite mmorpg to date. It has its flaws but it is the ONLY true RPG out there for me. You DO remember what RPG stands for right?

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    This is clearly another case of "I don't know art, but I know what I like" syndrome.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Totally agree with #1 Best MMO for GUILD WARS 2!
    Amazing game! Been playing since beta & simply love it.
  • I stopped coming to this site a while back but thought I'd come here and check it out today. This was a mistake.

The MOP expansion in WoW is a success and the servers are as active as ever. Rift has more polish than games 2-7 put together. I can understand that some people may hate a game but when an article is posted on a site like this I would expect it to be honorable in its reporting. I was wrong. Maybe I'll check back in a year or two to see if this site has taken the responsibility of reporting on the MMORPG scene seriously.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How much did ea pay you to put a game from 2011, that sucks, on a best of 2013 list?

Also eve, gw2 & tsw aren't from 2013 either.

This.

In my opinion.... ANY list that this website makes up will undoubtedly be a list of which MMO Publisher paid them the most money vs. who paid the least or none at all.

Sorry MMORPG.com Staff... but it's blatantly obvious you have been "bought and paid for". Sorry but that's how I see it.

STO has been running ads on this site quite a bit yet didn't make the list. Scarlett Blade has also been running a lot of ads and was put on the "Worst Of" list. Either show your proof of this site taking money for good reviews or shut up. Your post comes off as one written by a poster who is butt sore over his favorite games not making a list.Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Now getting back to the OP and past the numerous butthurt posters and their tears...

I like all the above except Darkfall. TSW and TOR are my favorites and while I don't play GW2 or EVE I can see why a lot of people do.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    I don't really consider some of these MMO's in the true sense. If I 've got to go with a "MMO" it'll be EVE. Doesn't mean the others can't develop into MMO's just some are further away then others. I just don't see GW 2 doing , given GW 1. Neverwinter will never be an MMO, firstly because even Cryptic doesn't really classify it as one. Secondly it's not what Cryptic is really capable of doing. SWTOR whether people like it or not can go either way. It has the potential , just not sure EA can pull it off. The other 3 is more wait and see.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

STO - when was that released? I remember it as a pretty good MMO, a little weird here and there, but overall one of the few games I returned to. I enjoyed i all the way to the end game.

TSW - omg they failed at so much, its like their game designers were aiming at failing. What a shame. Strangely enough, it is actually worth trying, just to see the best graphics on the market at play. End game, what end game? I ended up doing only PvP and that really didnt last long.

SWTOR - Yeah disappointing maybe, but I totally agree with the article, it is one of the best games out there. I enjoyed the time I had with it, didnt last to the end of the grindmill though.

EVE - I am not a fan of this game, but I have to admit that they are doing incredibly well. When I tried it, the interface was ... it was... well it really wasnt good at all and completely scared me away from this game forever. On top of this, I was also not impressed by the graphics. Still they have made a continous impact on the market, so is worth checking out.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    If these are the best -- confirms what another crappy year its been!

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99

Well I think the last few years have been really crap in regards to good Mmo's , I am shocked they aint got WoW up there though.

I haven't played Age of Wushu, and never will after watching a bit of it on U tube.

Swtor , I really did like the game but only log in to help a friend out now and again , very poor community I found too.

Eve , played it on and off for years , I will never play again, its just super boring I found and full of spread sheets.

Darkfall I have never played and I actually hate clan wars . So I will never play that game .

Tried  Neverwinter, lasted about 20 mins, the controls were horrible. Same crap as DDO , personally I cant play with those type of controls.

TSW , got a lifer on this , unfortunately , I find it a bit boring so rarely log in . Also its a bit heavy on the graphics card . ( Nvidia 670 gtx )

Currently giving GW2 another bash, I don't particulary like the gfx on the character models , mainly the armour / clothing and animations , but I do find it a very smotth ride. Havent tried WvW yet, this is what I am aiming at really in this game. Hopefully akin to Daoc ( best game ever ) .

There are a few more games which I have tried this year namely  Aoc ( again clan wars , really no interest and its a bit clunky on times ) , STO just started this again, heavy on gfx but I think it has potential .

WoW, how can they not have this on the list ? Do I currently play = no. I don't like raiding and I found WoW to be more of a script game , who ever has the best macros and gear wins. I used to run 5 accounts on one box for 6 months, was great fun, but really should be F2p now . Still its still a super game. If they updated the gfx I would return.

Rift , good game if you like raids etc . I think they should've started with three + factions instead of two. Best thing about the game is the easy macro set up , unlike WoW .

Lotro , I have a lifer here too , this is my rebound / chill game, always come back to it , though I don't particulary find it exiting. Great game for soloing I find , though I would like to see the character models upgraded .

On what I have played last 6 months, I would put :

1: GW 2

2: WoW

3: Lotro

4: Swtor

5: Tsw

6: Rift

7: Aoc

Honorable mention for DCUO

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    What the hell is GW2 doing on this list? the game was all hype and absolutely no delivery. GW2 is an example of what not to do if you want a successful MMO, stop pandering to that lying company please.
  • GodHunter18GodHunter18 Member Posts: 1

Well i only want to say that,SWOTR IS A GREAT GAME!!!!

And i really don`t think that RIFT should be on that list.

• noonchildnoonchild Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Axewielderx

Have no idea how Neverwinter made this list. Get a clue! They released a game in which the auction house eats astral diamonds. Tons of players have been complaining on the forums and sent in bug requests and they ignore them. I complained in game and out and never received a response or the lost astral diamonds. Any game where players can lose real money and not be compensated or even replied to, should never make a "best of" list. 

Sometimes, this site makes me sad.

Yes. No response from support two weeks later. At least I didn't lose ALL of my astral diamonds but still. Work it out Cryptic.

• rakattrakatt Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Neverwinter made the list? Technically, it's still in beta. Since they are listed, SWTOR definitely deserves a spot. Even though both games has its flaws, SWTOR is much better. 
  • FrozenCurseFrozenCurse Member Posts: 1
    The only negative thing I can say about gw2 is that it makes 95% of all other mmorpgs look like lackwits in the company of intellectuals and after playing gw2 for a while,you just can't go back to looking at other mmorpgs you played before in the same light.Arenanet is so frikking epic at and devoted to making gw2 the flat out best that I can't figure out whether it's a good thing or bad thing anymore lol 
  • superguitardudesuperguitardude Member Posts: 30

Since people are making a Top 7 MMORPGs of The Year list, I figured that I'd add mine in, as well.

1. Lord of The Rings Online (I really like Epic Fantasy.)

2. DC Universe (Pretty well made. Was always a fan of Superman.)

3. Age of Wushu (Chinese culture is intriguing. Very deep combat system. MMOs with Sandbox elements rock.)

4. Neverwinter Online (As far as the game goes, it's pretty much The Forgotten Realms, but online.)

5. Star Trek Online (Way better space combat than The Old Republic. Surprisingly interesting, despite the reviews.)

6. Star Wars: The Old Republic (Crappy community, f2p feels like a demo. The story keeps me curious.)

7. Eve Online (Would be higher up on the list, except that I can't afford the subscription fee. ((Welcome to Ukraine.)) )

I didn't really get to try Rift all that much, but once it goes f2p I'll give it a go. I finally got to try EverQuest II several months ago and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Had I tried World of Warcraft and EverQuest II back when they launched, I'd probably enjoy the latter more.