Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

MMORPGs Are Dead -- How to Resurrect the Genre

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,860Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Shaigh

I very much agree that I WANT more games with depth and longevity I PREFER, something that I AM sadly missing.

Fixed for you.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph SarajevoPosts: 1,069Member Uncommon
    mmo  is most profitable  genre  in gaming ! , it is not dead !

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

Originally posted by Adokas

I feel this thread is relevant, because I feel opinions can be discussed amongst a community.

And that is the point, your feelings does not make things relevant nor true or real.

• ArskaaaArskaaa KauhajokiPosts: 842Member Uncommon

Only way to res WoW is give players tools to make own realm/world. to edit every think in game, build new towns,loots etc etc...

oh and mmo are not dead. Devs should give more freedom to players make own adventures. most  mmo are too linear.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

It is that time of the week again i guess...

*MMORPG's are dead and i am the only expert who knows how to bring it back*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AdokasAdokas KristiansandPosts: 217Member
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I feel this thread is relevant, because I feel opinions can be discussed amongst a community.

And that is the point, your feelings does not make things relevant nor true or real.

Yes they do, for me. They're true and real for me. Just like an opposite opinion is true and real for someone else. That's opinion. Those opinions can be discussed. It's sharing your views with each other.

I'm not trying to push my views on anyone here. Merely sharing my views. Whether people agree or disagree - their choice.

• SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ColumbiaTrue

The quest. The journey. The world. The community. The essential ingredients combined to create an enriching, complex, and satisfying---indeed memorable---MMORPG experience. Today's games fall sort of creating lasting, lifelong memories. Instead, they are designed to provide temporary, fleeting contentment. 

An MMORPG should not just be about the game itself. An MMORPG is more than gaming. It is about building genuine, authentic relationships in an environment conducive to building bonds of friendship. 

An MMORPG world has to feel rich, diverse, and dynamic. Most MMORPG worlds are so static and stale that I cannot bear to play them --- even for free.

The journey. An individual, unique, and customized character. Different from but similar to others. A part of the world and a part of a community. However, the opportunity to define one's own destiny, choose a path (create a path).

Main reasons the genre is dead: Boring on rails quest hub to quest hub gameplay, Mmorpg's being way to soloable they need to be forced to be made more group oriented. Game also has to offer stuff to do, most mmorpgs lately its just boringly rind to level cap then do more boring dungeons that are at their core completly worthless to do anyway since well, why spend all the time to get the gear when there is not one damn thing to actually use it for? IMO they need to stop seperating pvp and pve, and make raid gear the best gear for both. Or have pve gear get pvp stats when in pvp mode. They also could use some decent crafting. Can also use char classes where you can actually make decisions about your char, do I want this skill or that skill? Insted of just handing the player all the skills where most of them don't even get used in alot of these games. Sadly until wow dies I doubt we'll see any real innovation in the genre, for the most part devs these days just try to clone wow because they think it works.. Even though it really doesn't, if it did all these p2p wow clones wouldn't keep having to go f2p to survive, the fact they need to go f2p to survive is a pretty good indication that the wow-era is coming to an end and people are just getting bored of that style of mmo.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by AdokasThey're true and real for me.

Self denying statements aren't true....they are called fallacious.

• AdokasAdokas KristiansandPosts: 217Member
    Originally posted by Gdemami

They're true and real for me.

Self denying statements aren't true....they are called fallacious.

Okay, Mr. Robot. :-)

• RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaPosts: 238Member Uncommon

Maybe MMORPG's are dead for those tired of them

and not dead for those not tired of MMORPGs.

Simple.

In saying that, I'm of the belief that there's always room for improvement, innovation and sometimes even resurrection. Many ideas are shared within these forums and unfortunately the negativity permeating through here tends to obliterate any original ideas before they have even begun to evolve. Maybe with less antagonistic critical oppression to allow free thinkers to speak without fear of harassment we may all become a part of the process that restores gaming to where we want to see it.

It's easy to be negative and critical. It's much harder to be creative and contributive.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Oak Brook, MIPosts: 671Member Uncommon

A correction appears to be in order. The most common mmo style of many years ago appears to be Dead, provided you just don't play any of those (still open) games.

We buried grandpa, cause he was still breathing, but wouldn't do much of anything else we expected gramps to do. So we blamed everyone else in the family for his lack of energy, and called the coroner, expecting to appear in his will.

Oddly, no one else seemed real interested in making a just-like-new grandpa and beginning the cycle all over again.

'Cause previous efforts along that line were tried, and didn't actually generate the always-promised magical revival of the entire Grandpa species.

Nevertheless, there's always someone (often many someones) insisting we try again with one more Grandpa.

It's bound to work this time!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

People are not reading the thread title:
    "MMORPGs are dead."
    NOT
    "MMOs are dead."
    Huge difference there.

MMOACGs [Action Combat Games] are very much alive and kicking, flourishing and ever increasing.

MMORPGs are dead.
    - Gone are the living worlds with players that logged in day after day for years on end.
    - Gone are the various "boring" activities that made a game fun for many (and actually paid).
    - Gone is the long, long road to a barely existent end game.
    - Gone are the relaxing times had in these online worlds, the much demonized "downtime."

Soon, we will have MMOs (not MMORPGs) with an "I Win!" button. That is all that players today want, right? How much more efficient can one be than an "I Win!" button? Accomplishes the same thing in a fraction of the time. Then a player can move on to the next game quicker. Maybe that is not enough buttons to push. Maybe a combo of 3 or 6 buttons? Maybe I am wrong here...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

Originally posted by Antiquated
    We buried grandpa, cause he was still breathing, but wouldn't do much of anything else we expected gramps to do. So we blamed everyone else in the family for his lack of energy, and called the coroner, expecting to appear in his will.Oddly, no one else seemed real interested in making a just-like-new grandpa and beginning the cycle all over again.'Cause previous efforts along that line were tried, and didn't actually generate the always-promised magical revival of the entire Grandpa species.Nevertheless, there's always someone (often many someones) insisting we try again with one more Grandpa.It's bound to work this time!
    And to think... Without Grandpa, *YOU* would not be here. Yea, better bury him quick, because everyone knows his life and times were rubbish compared to the new "young studs" taking his place. Nothing "old" is ever good, am I right?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AntiquatedAntiquated Oak Brook, MIPosts: 671Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Nothing "old" is ever good, am I right?

But grandpa's still alive. In a lot of cases, Son of Grandpa is still alive.

If neither one of those is acceptable, how's son of son of grandpa going to fix everything?

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member

Silly young ones. The death being spoken of is the death of real community. Perhaps you don't understand because you haven't experienced it. Your ignorance is not your fault. The difference in the games now, as opposed to the past, can be likened to the difference between having a respectful, mutual relationship, to that of paying a prostitute.

At first, prostitutes are great. You pay for exactly what you think you want & it's way cheaper than an actual relationship. And if you've never had a real relationship, you would wonder why anyone would be in one if you can either pay a prostitute for exactly what you think you need, or pay nothing and pull a manual, solo mission.

On the other hand, those of us who have had a real relationships know the beauty & fulfillment of the genuine article & you can't fool us with your one dimensional, unskilled, lifeless romp, that is over as soon as it begins. Zero lasting satisfaction.

Sure, the real thing seems to have a continual fee, takes time & friendship, mutual respect & communication to achieve. The feeling of entertainment, achievement, comradery, joy with a bit of selfless pride, are the real rewards & why old grandpa laments.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go & change my Depends. For I have soiled myself.

(Edited for spelling & elderly fat fingering)

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Rockford, ILPosts: 151Member
    MMORPG market is not dead but alot good mmo's are shut down because of the players. I can name three mmo's that i loved that where shut down because of playerbase and there whining no matter what devs did attitude. Star wars galaxies is perfect exampe of underated game all i heard was complaints and whining from day one.

• GrahorGrahor aaaPosts: 828Member

>>MMORPGs are dead.
    - Gone are the living worlds with players that logged in day after day for years on end.<<

And good f...g riddance.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ asdasadsPosts: 165Member
    Originally posted by Grahor

>>MMORPGs are dead.
    - Gone are the living worlds with players that logged in day after day for years on end.<<

And good f...g riddance.

I guess people noticed that spending their life in front of a computer is retarded.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

Originally posted by inporylemQQ

>>MMORPGs are dead.

And good f...g riddance.

I guess people noticed that spending their life in front of a computer is retarded.

Amen!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SulaaSulaa nPosts: 1,151Member Common

Until mmorpg genre or at least some nice fat niche in mmorpg genre stop to try to attract people that are not interested in mmorpg experience in first place - it won't change for better.   

Until then me and mmorpg's are :

There are only certain amount of millions of gamers and each one has certain niche and certain expectations. The market is flooded with mmo's and not always enough players saying i like it to keep mmo's going. Some are more popular than others like WoW or runescape and some just cant get enough. Yes devs and companies are part blame to when they release junky game but to often mmo dies because there is no money coming in. I'm not saying companies are not at fault but the type of player base can make or break games to.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

>>MMORPGs are dead.

And good f...g riddance.

Amen!

I know, right? it's like, who wants to take the time to read a novel when you can just watch the movie. It's just as good.

Originally posted by Kleptobrainiac

>>MMORPGs are dead.

And good f...g riddance.

Amen!

I know, right? it's like, who wants to take the time to read a novel when you can just watch the movie. It's just as good.

who wants to watch a movie when you can be the movie........never mind heck with both fun with the wife is more rewarding.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,428Member Uncommon

The MOST important aspect needed to improve these games is first the person in charge be it the producer or the owner of the company or all the board members.What also might help a lot is an honest producer,so they are willing to tell you the straight up,that way they work along with the fan base much better instead of trying to mislead them.

Then once you have a SMART person in place,you need MONEY and lots of it.You need to predict a budget at least 50% higher than what you figure,this would make sure ideas get fulfilled and not cut short or eliminated to meet a budget or time line.

Without either of these two important aspects,you end up with incompetence that can WASTE money or simply NEVER have any creativity or good ideas.Without money there is no way to pull off a COMPLETE fully in depth idea.

What happens is many developers hire old school or people with proven records.Then what happens is they copy those exact same ideas,so there is no creativity.If you have a greedy board or a money hungry owner or a producer that gets bonuses for meeting dead lines ,you end up with a rushed product.

The game has to forego an incredible amount of planning,so you see the entire direction through and the cost of running it is also worked out.This all leads back to time lines and money,we saw Titan project get rehashed,so it was not properly thought out.This type of failure happens because they might have success with certain ideas but over time,their fan base starts to turn against those ideas.So with out proper hindsight or by over rating their current products,they make mistakes to the future.

I can count all the individuals i consider really smart on one hand and the developers with what i believe to be a less restrictive budget on a couple fingers.This means the genre really has no chance for a incredibly great fulfilling long lasting game.Instead these games are all created as retail objects designed not to excite us or to be great ,instead just products to turn a profit.

Samoan Diamond

Originally posted by Kleptobrainiac

>>MMORPGs are dead.

And good f...g riddance.

Amen!

I read a lot of books just recently finished last book of Game Of Thrones.

Your analogy is bad and makes no sense because video games are not even on same level as books they never were and never will be. Two very different mediums for two very different type of audience. 

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney