Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMORPG’s Most Wanted MMOs of 2013

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Really poor choice of screenshots I thought on this article.  Especially the one from FFXIV:ARR, The backside of a low level gladiator crammed in a doorway blocking your view with barely anything visible in the room other than a few mobs marked with target markers.

This could be a picture of any game, which is true of a lot of the pictures in the article.  I just don't understand the choices in pictures.  At least for FFXIV you could have found better in the article you took it from. 

Something that is recognizable.

Also while I'm nitpicking the grainy male miq'ote Paladin that you show all the time for FFXIV features, what is the deal with this?  Why not mix it up a little, with some other media it is not like this is an actual story character or anything in ARR like Tiny Tina is for Wildstar.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    SHADOWBANE 2

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• alysraalysra Member UncommonPosts: 9

1. EQN

2. Archeage

3. TESO

4. Wildstar

5. Black Desert

6. Bless (just to see Unreal Engine 3 in an MMORPG :))

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

This list basically sums up my last hope of finding an mmorpg that I can invest time in, all 5 of these games are on my radar and all I need is one of them to come good. If that doesn't happen then I'm probably on the verge of quitting gaming as mmos are the only genre I enjoy and unfortunately of late the efforts I've played have gone from Being ok for a month or two, to just downright disappointing.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

In the EQN picture it looks like both Firiona and Smed are looking a little haggard.

At least she hasn't grown a belly...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Anyone noticed these are all P2P games with the possible exception of ArcheAge.

And then people continue to argue that F2P + B2P games are the future, go figure.

• Sky.FalconSky.Falcon Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I havnt even heard of EQ Next lol guess Ive got some research to do.

Pretty much played every MMO that's come out since WoW.../sigh
  • Sky.FalconSky.Falcon Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Murugan

Really poor choice of screenshots I thought on this article.  Especially the one from FFXIV:ARR, The backside of a low level gladiator crammed in a doorway blocking your view with barely anything visible in the room other than a few mobs marked with target markers.

Whats a pirate's favorite MMO? FFXIV: ARR!!!

Pretty much played every MMO that's come out since WoW.../sigh
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Anyone noticed these are all P2P games with the possible exception of ArcheAge.

And then people continue to argue that F2P + B2P games are the future, go figure.

Last I check the devs of TESO dont llIke the p2p model and wildstar will be a  hybrid model...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I don't know that I'm interested in another anime looking MMO or FF XXXVIIII... or whatever number they are on now.  Repopulation looks like a good sandbox which is desperately needed.  The only one we've had over the last decade has been Eve Online.  While Eve is a solid game, it is a bit spread sheet-ish.  EQ could be good if they stay away from simple character classes, tier set armor where everyone has the exact same setup in the end and a roller coaster quest system.
  • SinjaiSinjai Member Posts: 9
    I still have a grudge against EQ for putting that freaking spellbook in your face during all the action when you're a cleric trying to get your mana back to heal the group.  Frack you EQ! :-P
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tiny

I disagree, the ps2 / eqn engine is probably the best mmo engine going, looks great, handles crowds much better than the likes of gw2, swtor even wow. And it has more to do with collision detection, bullet tracing etc..

It's not Sonys fault your trying to play a massive scale fps on some 5 year old pc.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

The list has three games I'm looking at, and relatively excitedly anticipating.  ESO, AA, and EQN all have me hoping that I'll have a good, fun MMO to play within a year's time.  Throw in Black Desert, that gives even more promise.  I'm not holding my breath that any of them will be MY end-all be-all, but four strong candidates gives me hope.

With all the SOE and Smed hate around here, I hadn't really considered EQN as a possible taker of my MMO money, but it's worth a shot if it lives up to its billing. 

ESO, well, my favorite game EVER is Morrowind, so I have to give it a try.

AA - it just looks like it could be soooo much damn fun.  Really looking forward to this one.

Black Desert I just recently started checking out, and don't really know too much about it.  But it could be quite spiffy.

Basically, after three years of Darkfall 1 and two-ish months of the poo that is Darkfall UW, I'm just gonna play Minecraft until some of these other possible gems start popping out.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

With the hype that EQN is getting, I reckon it will turn out to be the next SWTOR.

None of the games on the list offer an improved gaming experience. It's just content - 'more stuff to do'.

The Occulus Rift should be the next big thing.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by blohm86

2013 will probably be the year of dissapointment; NOTHING new and innovative so far. 

Not impressed.

No offense but I think that is the problem now days. People always wanting new innovations all the time. Tons of games are fun without being innovative. Just because a game is innovative doesn't make it fun. 

A lot of people here have played MMORPGs since WoW began. So that's about 9 years. After the 7th year of gaming, innovation becomes more important because you don't want to play another variant of WoW.

The gaming world could do with an excellent variant of Eve Online or UO, but I don't see any in the pipeline.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by superniceguy

A good list (Better choices than the best of 2013)

My most wanted are:

1. EQ Next
    2. Elder Scrolls Online
    3. Phantasy Star Online 2
    4. SWG 2
    5. FF XIV ARR (as long as I can use old discs which I bought just as soon as they closed off new accounts and proceeded to close the original version. I am not buying the new ARR version)

They've already said you can use old codes for FFXIV and just download the new client for free. Anyone that spent any money at all on the original version gets the new client and 30 days game time for free.

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    You put wildstar and ESO before ArcheAge? Noob.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

My personal list will be:

1. FFXIV ARR
    2. Wildstar
    3. Phantasy Star Online 2
    4. EQN
    5. ... nothing else really.
    I take no interest in ESO as they've gutted everything that made the previous games great as far as I'm concerned. FFXIV and Wildstar, on the other hand, are both putting a huge focus on non-combat gameplay elements... modern MMOs have been gradually putting so much focus on combat that they seem to have forgotten the things that brought their worlds to life.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Nice list.  

I watched the video, but was confused about the lower third off top.  It says worst MMOs so far...

anyways-

really excited about EQNext info and Wildstar went from meh to ERMGUD yes please for me.

TESO on the other hand has gone completely the other way.  I ca't see how anyone is really excited for this title.  Just so many bad things about it.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Could a fall release be right around the corner?

It's summer now and we know basically nothing about EQnext, with no info and no hype or marketing built for the game it would all of a sudden be released in couple of months? What? These games are released on top of one or two years hype, not few months. We're lucky if we see Wildstar or TESO this year, and they have been giving out info and stuff about the games for a while now.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

1/ Archeage - It is the only Sandbox and as long as it isn't F2P, don't want any cash shop welfare kids! No subs, no play!

2/ ...nothing! Cus Wildstar has terribad GW2 play style with wow graphics, EQ will be a F2P cash farmville, TESO will be a rollercoaster and nothing like Skyrim, and FF MCXXVX (or however many there has been) will be just like the other grind filled versions.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • ComerEsteComerEste Member CommonPosts: 7

My top 3 that I'm looking forward to trying is:

1. The Repopulation - The crafting, player cities, PvP systems are reminiscent of SW:G pre CU/NGE which I loved. On top of that, the possibility of being able to play the game as a first person shooter or an RPG in the same game intrigues me, I hope they're able to pull it off. Finally, the system of smart AI NPC's where they not only remember past deeds but also react differently towards you based off those past deeds is awesome. I remember one example they gave was say an NPC gives you a mission and you fail it, depending on how it was handled they could react differently the next time you see them. From giving you a break and letting you try again to getting pissed at you and putting a bounty on your head that other players can collect on!

2. Wildstar Online - Interested in this one primarily for 2 reason: Player housing and the slapstick comedy they seem to be basing the game on. Will probably be a lot of fun to play with friends with much silliness to be had.

3. Elder Scrolls Online - Never played any of the Elder Scrolls RPG's but from what my friends tell me about it, if they can make an MMORPG that is similar to the single players, I could see myself playing it for a while.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I'm looking forward to archage, ESO, final fantasy, and Eqn. Why authors of a site like this are so hyped over a goofy Saturday morning cartoon like game is beyond me. It's not about the fact that wild star has cartoon graphics, but the goofiness looks idiotic.

There Is Always Hope!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Could a fall release be right around the corner?

It's summer now and we know basically nothing about EQnext, with no info and no hype or marketing built for the game it would all of a sudden be released in couple of months? What? These games are released on top of one or two years hype, not few months. We're lucky if we see Wildstar or TESO this year, and they have been giving out info and stuff about the games for a while now.

Smedley said something about a playable version this year and he doesn't mean beta.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399

1. Final Fantasy - Definitely getting it.

2. ESO - Keeping an eye on. Will try if not F2P garbage and depending on how much I like Final Fantasy.

3. Wildstar <> Archage - Tied, doubt ill play. I hate F2P which I believe Wildstar is doing and Trion just screwed over a bunch customers for the same reason.

4. Really couldnt care less about EQ Next.

So... pretty much the complete opposite of that list.