Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EQ Next Info

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    EQ1 was my first MMO love and some of my fondest memories MMOing. Calling the next EQ game the biggest sandbox game does not make me wana play. I think a real win for MMOs is a mixture of sandbox and themepark with just the right balance. Guess I am gona have to wait and see what they think is the biggest sandbox design. Minecraft in Norrath?

I highly doubt there won't be any themepark elements.  This is still EQ afterall.  To not have any EQ themepark with all the lore behind it would essentially alieniate the EQ fanbase.  I'm picturing something along the lines of Archeage without the FFA pvp.  We might even see elements of pre CU SWG. 

There's no real benefit to them by targeting the EQ fanbase. The problem is ultimately that they can't please any of them. They could target the EQ fanbase that left EQ, but then there is no guarantee the vast majority of them want what they had again. They could target the current EQ fanbase but that would just be competing with themselves, there is no net growth of new players. They could target the EQ2 fanbase but suffer the same result. In any three of those cases, whichever they target alienates the other two groups. There is no way they can target all three of them because each have their own wants and if they don't get them, they will just stick with the game they have.

Then what would you have them do?  Create another WOW clone themepark?

WoW is an EQ themepark clone.

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    EQ1 was my first MMO love and some of my fondest memories MMOing. Calling the next EQ game the biggest sandbox game does not make me wana play. I think a real win for MMOs is a mixture of sandbox and themepark with just the right balance. Guess I am gona have to wait and see what they think is the biggest sandbox design. Minecraft in Norrath?

I highly doubt there won't be any themepark elements.  This is still EQ afterall.  To not have any EQ themepark with all the lore behind it would essentially alieniate the EQ fanbase.  I'm picturing something along the lines of Archeage without the FFA pvp.  We might even see elements of pre CU SWG. 

There's no real benefit to them by targeting the EQ fanbase. The problem is ultimately that they can't please any of them. They could target the EQ fanbase that left EQ, but then there is no guarantee the vast majority of them want what they had again. They could target the current EQ fanbase but that would just be competing with themselves, there is no net growth of new players. They could target the EQ2 fanbase but suffer the same result. In any three of those cases, whichever they target alienates the other two groups. There is no way they can target all three of them because each have their own wants and if they don't get them, they will just stick with the game they have.

Disagree.  When I played early EQ, I did not have the hand-holding experience nor the NPC quest hubs directing me down a breadcrumb trail path.  EQ1, "early" EQ1 was open world enough.  And from what I'm hearing on the forums and such, players are clamoring for a return to that sort of gameplay; they are tired of being herded around in linear fashion.

• DudehogDudehog Newark, DEPosts: 112Member
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    This will be epic. Others promise, SOE delivers

I listened to the Smedley hype surrounding PS2. When I logged into PS2 for the first time I was sure there was a mistake. There was no way this could be the game Smedley and others were hyping so much. It was just horrible. Never before have I seen bigger disparity between hype and quality of gameplay then I did with PS2.

EQ next is giving me the same PS2 vibe.  It could turn out to be awesome, but when you factor in the fact SOE is making it and it's going to be F2P, there's just a lot of reason to believe it will suck.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member

Disagree.  When I played early EQ, I did not have the hand-holding experience nor the NPC quest hubs directing me down a breadcrumb trail path.  EQ1, "early" EQ1 was open world enough.  And from what I'm hearing on the forums and such, players are clamoring for a return to that sort of gameplay; they are tired of being herded around in linear fashion.

You can disagree, but WoW is simply a more advanced version of Everquest. It is why Everquest 2 and WoW had eerily similar aspects despite being released within a short period of each other. The advancements made in WoW and EQ2 were simply natural progression of the themepark foundation EQ set. EQ was simply limited by the era it was created in.

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 two rivers, WIPosts: 20Member Uncommon

For whatever reason, I was in no way swayed by anything they said about PS2. While the game is fine for what it is, it really isn't all it sounded like they wanted it to be, but how many games nowadays are. EQN though....mysteriously had my curiosity, but now has my attention.

Maybe SOE just has to get one right in this gen, I would even be willing to take almost right. One thing I have noticed by going back to EQ2 recently and playing DCUO, maybe it's all in my head but there are multiple things in each of SOEs games that remind me of different aspects of SWG. Obviously not any blatant copies of any SWG systems, but alot of bits and pieces. If they added something even remotely close to SWGs crafting and resource gathering sandbox elements, I would be sold for years.

SOE is a company that has taken tons of bumps and bruises along the mmo highway, I really hope there have been some scars too, that remind them what works and what doesn't. If they fail on EQN, I will not hesitate to overlook any of their future projects like I do with a number of crappy mmorpg producing companies. I really want to give examples lol, but that's for another post.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Winter Park, FLPosts: 1,092Member

You can disagree, but WoW is simply a more advanced version of Everquest. It is why Everquest 2 and WoW had eerily similar aspects despite being released within a short period of each other. The advancements made in WoW and EQ2 were simply natural progression of the themepark foundation EQ set. EQ was simply limited by the era it was created in.

I have to agree with Reallynow10.  EQ had what I would consider a mix of sandbox and themepark elements.  There was no real set path in EQ.  No breadcrumb trail. You were free to explore the world as you saw fit.  Hell you could create 2 different characters and play through the entire game, lvl 1 to 50, without seeing the same zones twice.  There wasn't one set path for everyone to take.  Sure, there were some themepark elements, but it was very open to your own play style.

Just about every game, even ones that claim to be "sandbox" have some themepark elements to them.  EQ2 was an attempt at a pure themepark, and tried to offer something different from the original EQ.  WoW and EQ2 are extremely similar.  EQ and WoW are not.  That's the confusion I think you're having.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by Dudehog
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    This will be epic. Others promise, SOE delivers

I listened to the Smedley hype surrounding PS2. When I logged into PS2 for the first time I was sure there was a mistake. There was no way this could be the game Smedley and others were hyping so much. It was just horrible. Never before have I seen bigger disparity between hype and quality of gameplay then I did with PS2.

EQ next is giving me the same PS2 vibe.  It could turn out to be awesome, but when you factor in the fact SOE is making it and it's going to be F2P, there's just a lot of reason to believe it will suck.

I disagree.  PS2 is an amazing game.  I don't see why you think it's bad.  You might not "like it", which may come down to personal preference on gameplay style, but I don't think you could win an argument that the game is designed bad.

It's got a great concept, lots of systems in place to focus and direct players to fight together, huge world, beautiful graphics and great art design, smooth game play even when there's lots of on screen assets, many different ways to play (foot, land vehicles, aircrafts), the game is F2P but not Pay2Win (F2P done right), etc etc.

From a design aspect, Planetside 2 is factually a great game.  Even if you don't personally like the game, give credit where credit is due.

SOE makes lots of good games.  Everquest and Everquest 2 are great as well, with lots of amazing features and tons of content.  They have made a few mistakes over the years (SWG NGE comes to mind), but I challenge you to find me any game industry professional or company that hasn't made any mistakes.

SOE has a better than average track record and they have certainly been at the forefront of online game innovation.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• actionreactionactionreaction Kalispell, MTPosts: 82Member

I'll tell you why it will be a failure to me, and how it could succeed honestly.

(NEWEST SONY MMORPG) So I downloaded and installed the game 2 days ago and played for the first time, my first impression of the game is its a good game, unlike TERA I had no UI bugs, and the game looks and plays better than Never Winter, IMO Dragons Prophet is better than both. However my Feeling for Dragons Prophet while the core game seems to be optimized and good as in Quest system looks neat compared to most F2P Titles the game isnt Free 2 Play, well it is technically however from my experience the game is Pay 2 Enjoy meaning you have to spend money to enjoy the game if you are like me.

1. So I put in $20 to buy some cash shop items pruchased armor suit and then tried to color it only to find out that I have to pay more SC to unlock 1 color at a time guys do the math here there are 757 colors based on what the color library says it costs 45 SC to unlock one single color that is 34065 SC, and 5000 SC = 45 USD which means you have to spend $315 USD to unlock all colors if you want full customization like I do, and no way that I have found within 2 days to unlock without paying Real Money. I have already given them a subscription worth of a Monthly sub but they don't really give me any customization at all. ( This is assuming you cant unlock the same color twice or anything.)

2. Unfair PVP, and PVE, Basically from what I have seen you can loose gear form PVE which means that in order to protect your items you have to pay in either Shells, or Station Cash for protection, this creates a bridge between people who don't play vs people who pay now you can get these for free 600 shells for 7 days is best offer, and assuming its like Runes of magic and 10 shells per daily quest it would take 6 days of doing daily missions just to get 600 shells which means you have to login every single day do 10 daily missions or risk loosing gear if you die, VS station Cash of 950 or $10 USD just for item protection.

3 Graphics somewhat suck, Female Character Models somewhat suck looking at their skin it doesn't look realistic on parts of it it needs to be improved, not to mention the graphics bugs I found in game which should have been fixed during closed beta and reported it.

Bottom Line, my opinion of this game is the game has potential but here we go with Sony + RuneWaker ruining what could be a great MMO by GREED, not worth playing if you are like me save your money for a better game, If they don't provide changes to these aspects within the next couple of weeks I quit the game not even going to be playing it as my primary game now going back to DarkFall with an Equal Playing field tired of Pay 2 Enjoy & Pay 2 Win games.

EQ Planes of Power, AA System, and "development staff leaving and SoE changing the "vision"

SWG ~ We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base. There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer.

We wanted more
    instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves.

Here how the might succeed

Raph Koster saw the Star Wars fans as co-designers in the development of the game: actively courting them from the project’s conception, sharing design docs and getting their feedback at every step of the way, designing a game which was highly dependent on fan creativity to provide much of its content and fan performance to create mutually rewarding experiences within the game. Here are some of the things Koster did right in courting Star Wars fans:

1. He respected their expertise and emotional investments in the series.

2. He opened a channel of communications with fans early in the process.

3. He actively solicited advice from fans about design decisions and followed that advice where-ever possible.

4. He created resources which sustained multiple sets of interests in the series.

5. He designed forms of game play which allowed fans to play diverse roles which were mutually reinforcing.

I'm not a fanboy, son.  But I do know dedication and good design when I see it.

I am glad, however, to see you can't make a valid argument against me.  Just a buncha name calling and chest pounding.  Like a snobby critic with a vendetta against any game that isn't from his #1 favorite franchise.

I have played many MMORPGs, starting with MUDS like Legends of Kesmai and Darkness Falls, all the way to the latest games like Blade N' Soul, Dragon's Prophet and Archeage, and just about everything in between.  SOE games have always been of good quality, back by teams that clearly cared about the product and strive to help them succeed and live on.

There is a clear difference between a game not being something you like, and being poorly designed.  I might really prefer one style of fighting game over another, but I wouldn't say something like "Tekken blows compared to smash brothers, Tekken is so bad, they noobed it up, devs are retards."

It clearly has some great design aspects and does a lot of things well that many people enjoy, even if I'm not one of them.

Learn to get out of your box.  The planet has more people on it than just you.

• KrimzinKrimzin Fort Worth, TXPosts: 545Member Uncommon

An MMO is like SEX. With your first, your awkward and dont know exactly what your doing. Over time you realize exactly how you like it and what your style is. From that point on you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate the feeling of your first.

If EQNext could recreate the feeling, that a large majority of us have about Everquest, they could pretty much just print their own money at that point.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.

It's an Orange thing
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Scot
    Is it going to get a new name, EQ Next is awful?

I am more interested in whether the game is fun, rather than if the name is awful.

• ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Scot
    Is it going to get a new name, EQ Next is awful?

I am more interested in whether the game is fun, rather than if the name is awful.

I agree. Holy crap Narius I agree with you on something :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by Krimzin

An MMO is like SEX. With your first, your awkward and dont know exactly what your doing. Over time you realize exactly how you like it and what your style is. From that point on you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate the feeling of your first.

If EQNext could recreate the feeling, that a large majority of us have about Everquest, they could pretty much just print their own money at that point.

Not really. EQ has what .. 500k at its peak? That is not that big a number if you want to make a successful video games.

D3 is printing money.

CoD is printing money.

SC2 is printing a smaller amount of money.

EQN is F2P, and probably will do ok .. but "printing money"  it probably will not.

• KrimzinKrimzin Fort Worth, TXPosts: 545Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Krimzin An MMO is like SEX. With your first, your awkward and dont know exactly what your doing. Over time you realize exactly how you like it and what your style is. From that point on you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate the feeling of your first. If EQNext could recreate the feeling, that a large majority of us have about Everquest, they could pretty much just print their own money at that point.
    Not really. EQ has what .. 500k at its peak? That is not that big a number if you want to make a successful video games.

D3 is printing money.

CoD is printing money.

EQN is F2P, and probably will do ok .. but "printing money"  it probably will not.

Everyone keeps saying that EQNext will be F2P. I dont think so, or atleast I hope not.
    EQ at its peak had only 500k because at that point in time, people were just getting into online gaming. Its not like EQ and WOW released at the same time and WoW had 10million while EQ only had 500k. So saying that it "only" had 500k is using the number out of context to the reality of the gaming market. For its time.. 500k was STRONG.. it wasn't until WoW released and the first expansion before their numbers skyrocketed.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.

It's an Orange thing
  • ChaserzChaserz South Jordan, UTPosts: 83Member Uncommon

D3 is printing money.

CoD is printing money.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with his point which by what you posted you'll never get, but I do.  There are many that hope for that magic that started in 1999.  

Originally posted by Krimzin An MMO is like SEX. With your first, your awkward and dont know exactly what your doing. Over time you realize exactly how you like it and what your style is. From that point on you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate the feeling of your first. If EQNext could recreate the feeling, that a large majority of us have about Everquest, they could pretty much just print their own money at that point.

D3 is printing money.

CoD is printing money.

Everyone keeps saying that EQNext will be F2P. I dont think so, or atleast I hope not.
    EQ at its peak had only 500k because at that point in time, people were just getting into online gaming. Its not like EQ and WOW released at the same time and WoW had 10million while EQ only had 500k. So saying that it "only" had 500k is using the number out of context to the reality of the gaming market. For its time.. 500k was STRONG.. it wasn't until WoW released and the first expansion before their numbers skyrocketed.

500k may be strong then .. it is weak now and 500k old timers won't help EQN much.

You can hope. It is what it is. We will see if it is going to be F2P in due time.

Originally posted by Chaserz.  
    There are many that hope for that magic that started in 1999.  

By "magic" you mean wasting hours sitting around, taking a number, and wait hours for your turn to kill the boss in 5 min, and repeat for days until something drops?

You can have all of that "magic" .. i won't touch it with  a ten foot pole. I am quite glad those days are over, and i will never be stuck with games like that again in my life.

• nethervoidnethervoid xanex, CAPosts: 528Member
    Originally posted by Mystais

So EQNext will also have a "Foundry".  That, by itself,  makes it no more of a sandbox than Neverwinter or Star Trek Online.  It's nice but hopefully SOE is not tagging EQNext as a sandbox based only on this because they'd be very wrong.

Player created content is created by players via ingame interaction made possible by a sandbox environment, not by a quest making tool.  

I'm getting the feeling SOE is being misleading and trying to hype this as a sandbox when it actually is not.  I have yet to hear of a single actual sandbox feature to be included in EQNext.  All I keep hearing is the word sandbox, nothing more.

True... I haven't really heard about anything sandboxy...

And as another poster said look how they underperformed with PS2. It could have been FKING AMAZING yet it's actually not as good as the original. lol It has LESS features. lol

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR]
    13k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• DudehogDudehog Newark, DEPosts: 112Member

D3 is printing money.

CoD is printing money.

500k may be strong then .. it is weak now and 500k old timers won't help EQN much.

You can hope. It is what it is. We will see if it is going to be F2P in due time.

EQN is already confirmed as being F2P. 

• ScambugScambug TortugaPosts: 389Member
    Originally posted by Tierless

Anyone see the new EQ Next info on massively, it says "the biggest sandbox ever designed' and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development."

The post couldn't go into specifics about the project, but it did say that the team is doing "remarkable things" with the game."

It's nice to see SOE still does the same kind of ridiculous marketing they did back before I knew better. I have a lot of hope for EQN but that was just lame.Promise everything and deliver nothing.

I know...talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Under The BedPosts: 507Member Uncommon

I disagree.  The WoW devs tried to clone EQ; got up to Orc Hill and said that will do.

Everyone is hung up on F2P.  Subscription MMOs are dead.  Every sub-based mmo that switched to F2P drastically increased their profits, new and old alike.  It's just a fact of life that the MMO community needs to get used to.

F2P does not automatically indicate the level of quality of a game, not anymore at least.

I personally liked subscription type payment model for MMOs, but F2P/B2P is here to stay.  There were plenty of bad subscription MMOs that launched over the years.  There have also been some great F2P games.  Just because a game is F2P, doesn't mean anything about the quality of the game.  What's more important is how they handle the payment method practices (Like Tera, having both a sub AND a cash shop? LOL fail).  Or F2P games that give paying players huge statistical advantages over non-paying customers (Pay2Win)

Planetside 2 is free 2 play, but buying stuff from the cash shop doesn't give you an auto-win.   The starting weapons in many cases are just as good as the earned/bought ones, and you can earn everything in the game through playing.  SOE does F2P right, imo.

Just saying.

Originally posted by Buccaneer

I disagree.  The WoW devs tried to clone EQ; got up to Orc Hill and said that will do.

I agree 100%.  Comparing WoW to EQ is a huge slap in the face to EQ and shows that the person making the comment has not played both of the games.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1,164Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

Anyone see the new EQ Next info on massively, it says "the biggest sandbox ever designed' and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development."

The post couldn't go into specifics about the project, but it did say that the team is doing "remarkable things" with the game."

It's nice to see SOE still does the same kind of ridiculous marketing they did back before I knew better. I have a lot of hope for EQN but that was just lame.Promise everything and deliver nothing.

Why do we get excited when someone says something?  Lets wait until we get to PLAY the game -- then lets talk.  Even seeing gameplay in videos is skeptical.

Not shitting on SOE or EQNext, but not believing what is said without hands-on proof either.

Originally posted by Chaserz.  
    There are many that hope for that magic that started in 1999.  

By "magic" you mean wasting hours sitting around, taking a number, and wait hours for your turn to kill the boss in 5 min, and repeat for days until something drops?

You can have all of that "magic" .. i won't touch it with  a ten foot pole. I am quite glad those days are over, and i will never be stuck with games like that again in my life.

There is no doubt that EQ was not perfect.  There were many poor design aspects to the game (as there are for any game treading into unfamiliar territory like EQ was)

Things like sitting around for hours waiting for a camp was extremely boring for sure.  I'd also mention things like corpse runs, where you dropped all your gear when you died, lost lots exp, etc etc.  But these harsh mechanics did have profound, and positive effects on the game as well.  When you were sitting around waiting for that camp, you socialized a lot with other people, building up that sense of community. Another example is harsh death penalties made combat, especially close fights, much more exciting and brought the community together.  Everyone was always looking out for each other.  People were always grouping up and helping each other out, because the harshness of the game demanded it of the players.

It's that sort of magic that's been lost.  I can't recall the last time I felt a surge of adrenaline in a game because I was about to die a horrible and painful death.  Now a days, it doesn't even matter.  Suicide 15x in a row, litter the area with your corpses.  Doesn't matter, which it should (It's death! It should be worth avoiding!)

All I'm getting at is that the magic of original EQ can be rekindled, while doing it in a more modern and fun way.  Lets wait to August before we pass any judgement.