Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMORPG’s Most Wanted MMOs of 2013

Comments

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by noncley
    If Smedley has learned from his many mistakes over the years, than EQN could be very interesting. His many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, mnay, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many mistakes - SWG, POTBS, Matrix Online, Vanguard etc to name but a few.

You made a mistake in your sentence. See how easy it is do make mistakes ? ;)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I'm not interested in any of those. I'm waiting for world of darkness.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

But mine was:

- Deliberate

- Trivial

- Easily fixed.

I mean, I didn't destroy the world's greatest MMORPG to please an ADD-stricken 12 year old graphics designer and win myself an imaginary billion dollars worth of Warcraft revenue that I never got in the end anyway.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    If Smedley has learned from his many mistakes over the years, than EQN could be very interesting. His many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, mnay, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many mistakes - SWG, POTBS, Matrix Online, Vanguard etc to name but a few.

I wouldnt hold out too much hope. Its SOE and Smedley. They dont exactly have a track record of learning from their mistakes.....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

EverQuest Next is my most anticipated game, behind World of Darkness but that is years away.

I think SOE have deliberately been keeping a low-profile & the game has been in "stealth mode" because they don't want to give away...well anything about how it plans to revamp the MMO and all the systems in development for it, we can hazard a guess at a few features as they've been put into existing titles, things such as EQ2's player-created content system, SOE-mote, PS2's Forgelight engine, but I'm sure that come August there will be a whole bunch of things to surprise & cause consternation in equal measure. With that said, returning to Norrath is something I look forward to, I've avoided most of the fantasy-titles released since I quit EverQuest &EverQuest II in 2008 playing sci-fi & superhero themed MMO's so by the time it releases I may be over the "Fantasy burn-out" I had.

Wildstar does look increasingly interesting & fun, the big worry is NCSoft's involvement after they closed down a couple of the games I really enjoyed casually.

TESO - I have a worry this will spike & flop, does it differentiate itself from what has gone before ENOUGH to grab people & have a "critical mass" big enough to make it a long term interest?

Archage - sandbox & oddball enough that I want to check it out, the full-on PvP nature of it does worry me because nobody has yet to put in a full open PvP system that had enough controls to prevent rampant destructive ganking, if they can nail those concerns it will do well.

FFXIV - wasn't a fan at all of FFXI, though I loved the sprpg series up to X it got tired after that, seemingly doing too little new besides very minor tweaks, so I probably won't bother with this if it tries to be more like XI, which the fans seem to be calling for.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

I'm looking forward to TESO, although I admittedly don't have huge hopes for it, but I will give it a try, I think.

Mostly I'm looking forward to Everquest Next. Hopefully it'll be what is promised, but I have doubts for that too! But, you can at least hope, yeah?

Not so interested in Wildstar. It honestly looks like everything else. I'm a little tired of the constant hand holding as well, I've got to admit. IE, big arrows over your head, huge markers showing where enemies will hit, big red circles on maps, and so on.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by stragen001

I wouldnt hold out too much hope. Its SOE and Smedley. They dont exactly have a track record of learning from their mistakes.....

Only SWG on that list was even built by SOE, yes they made mistakes on SWG - acknowledged in full by Smedley as HIS mistakes on many occasions, I can't hold him responsible at all for the others as they were not developed by his team, VG was "rescued" by SOE & was in a piss-poor state when they took it under their wing.

Have they learned? I think so, all of their own games are stable & well developed & have a core audience that they work to keep happy, longevity counts as much to fan dedication as it does to developers knowing their audiences well.

• MudfinMudfin Member UncommonPosts: 19

1) Wildstar - looks like a world I could get lost in for a few years which is what i want from a game.

2) The Repopulation - looks very interesting

3) ArcheAge - although I think the westernization should have just been translation, still looks solid.

4)EQN - No way do I believe we will be playing it at year's end but I hope this game is awesome.

ARR I'll try, mainly due to the fact Square is doing things right by the price.  TESO...just no.  Word of mouth will have say TESO is awesome to get me to buy it.  I see SWTOR all over again.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

I'll be trying TESO and Wildstar, possibly ArchAge as well. However, I won't buy into hype of any game as it means jack squat. My greatest hopes lie with TESO as I'm a lover of RvR from WAR and DAoC. As much hope as I have for it, I also see quite a bit of possible disaster as well. 

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Got to add to this list Shards of the Avatar. Lord British returning to his roots, this could be epic!
  • JeanneJeanne Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by sanshi44
     ESO seems to be a more theme park oriented game over their previous games 

....we can expect Rollercoasters and paris wheels then ?

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

Interesting list.

I find it odd, though, that the MMO we know the least about (next to nothing, really), is the "Most Wanted".

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

My list is fairly similar with a few changes:

5.  The Elder Scrolls Online - The combat looks decent, but I'm not that hyped about this one; however it seems to be offering a bit more than other upcoming releases.  I'll probably wind up playing this at least for a month's worth of content, which is more than I can say for sure about other MMOs.

4.  Everquest Next - I really want this game to succeed, but SoE hasn't exactly had stellar releases in the last 10 years and it's hard to say if this is going to do well or not when there is absolutely no information about it.  Still, the possibility it could bring back my old EQ nostalgia and if you are inclined to believe the hype be one of the biggest sandbox games of the year puts it above other upcoming releases.

3.  FFXIV:ARR - Admittedly I don't intend to play FFXIV for too long.  It's going to hold me over till Wildstar releases though, which should be a few months.  Everything about this game seems improved for the better.  It could very well be the best turn around for a MMO ever, going from what I consider one of the worst MMO releases for a triple A studio to a very solid and fun game.

2.  Wildstar Online - I went from having no hope for this game 2 years ago to being super excited about it.  I like that they are bringing back raids, and the list of epic features is quite nice.  The combat looks fantastic, and housing looks amazing.  I'm hoping I get at least a year of play from it and if the developers fulfill their promises and keep content rolling in there should be no issue with that.

1.  Black Desert Online - Pretty much everything about this game gets me excited for it.  Combat is going to be amazing, large scale PvP, raiding, hardcore leveling curve, and sandbox elements propel this to the top of my list.  The only issue is when this is actually going to hit the states, and if it winds up being like typical Korean releases being ported over to the US over a year behind the Korean release the hype level could seriously die down on this one (like Archeage and Blade and Soul which would have made my list a few months ago).  Still, right now I'm probably most excited for this game.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Unsure why EQNext is even on this list.  We know nothing about it, and it's not going to be released in 2013.  Hell we know more about Camelot Unchained than EQNext.
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

[Quote from above text about FFXIV] everything that's been changed for the good or the bad

I'm sure it'll be for the good, you can't get to much worse then what it was at launch.

As for EQN I'm very excited (and would like to see a PS4 release for it). I hope it lives up to expectations and the constant boasting of it's developers.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Only games on the list I might play are ArcheAge and EQ:N.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by VirgoThree
    Originally posted by Asamof

I'm so confused

at what point did we decide that smedley was for the gamer? did people forget about SWG NGE??? the hundreds of EQ1 expansions that came out 5 times a year? Free users being able to pick up rare drops but not being able to equip them until they pay?  

One thing is for certain. SOE knows how to polarize their audience. I'm personally on the positive side of the spectrum for them. I've always liked SOE games starting with EQ (although SWG was the one I never played) and I still like them to this date.

Having gotten into MMOs from the original EQ, I would love for the series to be reborn and do well. If SOE and the smed really turn over a new leaf for EQN the it's a win-win for everybody. I'm just saying, basing this on past experiences, i'm more cautious than optimistic. I'm totally down for EQN being crazy awesome, if SOE can deliver

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

2013 will probably be the year of dissapointment; NOTHING new and innovative so far. 

Not impressed.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

superniceguy

They confirmed the original disks and downloads will work with no other purchase required just expect a massive patch the first time you try to play it.

Hit reply instead of quote =
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by blohm86

2013 will probably be the year of dissapointment; NOTHING new and innovative so far. 

Not impressed.

No offense but I think that is the problem now days. People always wanting new innovations all the time. Tons of games are fun without being innovative. Just because a game is innovative doesn't make it fun. 

I completely agree with what you said, but he's probably referring to the fact that the majority of MMOs just copy wow without putting any other thought into it. There was that time before WoW where many MMO's felt distinctive and had their own game mechanics (although at their core a lot of them were EQ clones)

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

SOE has this uncanny knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  How many times have they had killer properties, neat game systems, and/or huge hype only to continually be second rate.  Their last true victory was the original EQ and Smed's been turning gold into crap ever since.

Even if they manage to pull together a good game, I strongly suspect based on past performance that their post-launch bumbling will sink it.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Though its not an rpg, my most anticipated MMO this year is Hex, a TCG MMO that has standard pvp like Magic the Gathering but also has a pve side, which will include dungeons and raids using the TCG system style of play.  For an rpg MMO, Wildstar is my choice followed by Elder Scrolls Online then...nothing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game

http://hextcg.com/

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

WOW LOL at them putting EQNext as the number 1 game.. Has this writer even ever played Planetside 2?  I ask that because the game engine they will use in EQNext is the one they developed and put in PS2..  And it is HORRIBLE!  The engine lags all over the place when more then 50 people are in the area, render distance is shot, every performance patch brings countless more problems, People cannot repair or heal completely during big fights, etc.   If you do not believe me check out their tech forums for the multitude of issues people are having with that engine.

Sure EQ3 might have a lot of great ideas, but the floor from which the foundation will be built on is rotten.  That has got to be one of the worst game engines I have ever seen.  I have seen more bugs with it then any other AAA MMO I have ever played.  I can't even imagine what it will be like with all those spells going off at the same time...

Not to mention this is SOE we are talking about...   SOE!!!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• MerohilMerohil Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Woo Archeage and EQN are going to be awesome!! cant wait! not really sure about wildstar doesn't really stand out compared to the others.