Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reddit Rumors of Race Restrictions being removed a reality at E3??

If you have been following the recent rumors on Reddit concerning ESO, you would know there has been several leaked E3 screens showing a Khajit and a Nord fighting alongside each other. After reviewing the photos, the armor does in fact look like "Player" armor and not an NPC.

This has forced many to come to the conclusion that at E3 we might see information on a "Faction Transfer" whether it be in game as a quest or  via a micro-transaction fee (Please For Talos NO!), or even better yet a possible removal of the system all together; although I find that rather doubtful given Matt Fior's recent comments on keeping the game centered on Faction Warfare for Lore purposes. 

Now my question to the community here is this, if these rumors are true, would you like any of these systems to be in place for allowing races to cross factions?

I am going to insert a poll and I would be very interested to see this communities reaction (Being MMO centered) as opposed to the Reddit Fanbase which is just general computer nerds.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Jiub Hunny 420. Your name got me to lol.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Reddit Rumors. How do people know what "player armor" looks like?

I could be wrong, but I just do not see this happening. They based their WHOLE game on 3 faction PvP. They instituted the race restrictions specifically for this very reason.

I really hope that ZOS sticks to their vision and creates the game they wanted from the start. I do not like where they decided to go with this IP, but I hope they at least have the balls to stick to their guns. Either that or start again from scratch.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Player Armor has been shown to have a very "Painted On" look. The characters in each screen have some stretching around their arms from their character movement, pointing to the fact its most likely a player.

The Npc's on the other hand have more "Texture" based models, probably from being developed as one piece rather than what can basically be conceived as a "Different coat of paint" for the player character's armor.

Im not citing this as fact, I made it clear these are rumors, but at the same time you cant deny what I am saying isnt at all  plausibly accurate can you?

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20

While I do not agree that they should change the race restrictions at all, it does kind of suck that there is such a small limited number of them per realm. That was something I liked in my Daoc days, Midgard had their Trolls and Norsemen, Hibernia had their Firbolgs and Lurikeens, etc.... It really set the realms apart in RvR. Again though there were more race choices and as the game expanded in time there were even more, but I don't think there are as many races in ES lore that they could add down the road, if they ever add any races. If they buckle and give in to peoples complaints about faction race restrictions, I hope it is similar to EQ2, where it involves a betrayal quest or something similar. I just don't think they should completely scrap the entire race faction system. I could however see certain races being accessable by multiple factions, like Imperial would be able to be created in all factions, but Argonian could only be a certain faction, etc...

With that said, these are just rumors until Zenimax would make this knowledge public. I could very well see them not lift any race restrictions due to the lore in the game they have been adding for a few years now. If they have quests and other lore related things supporting certain races being in certain factions only, I couldn't see them trying to scramble to adjust it now, when I am sure they have many other things to get ready for the rest of the betas and launch. There just might not be enough time to change their minds, unless they left some holes in the lore in game. Just my 2 cents.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I really dislike faction lock but not factions...IMO they need to make more games where you can choose your race and class freely and then select your faction. It makes little sense that 100% of a race would be ideologically aligned, there are always a few dissidents...in this case why not the player characters by choice, and select NPCs of interest while majority of a race may be tied to a faction if need be.

They should also allow you to do a faction swap with the same characters at least once, with the change requiring a significant amount of effort to gain the trust of the faction if it was in direct opposition to your previous one.

Anyhoo race/class locked factions are pretty weak.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

well if there was a betrayal quest like in EQ2 that allows you to switch to another faction so you can play with your friends/guild?

yes please?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I like how it is now.  Not to get all racist, but one of the things that made DAoC such a great pvp game was realm pride.  In the case of ESO, Faction pride.  I was Midgard through and through, and I was a racist when it came to the other realms.  I absolutely hated elves, lurikeens, saracen, and half-ogres. Didn't like much of the other races from the other realms either.  This is one part that made the game great.

Edit: oh and as for Inconnu,  I didn't care what everyone else was doing, I went after them first :) Ugly, fish-faced, paleskinned noobs!

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

I doubt this rumor is true... tho would be cool if true.

PS: Awesome name OP.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I like how it is now.  Not to get all racist, but one of the things that made DAoC such a great pvp game was realm pride.  In the case of ESO, Faction pride.  I was Midgard through and through, and I was a racist when it came to the other realms.  I absolutely hated elves, lurikeens, saracen, and half-ogres. Didn't like much of the other races from the other realms either.  This is one part that made the game great.

Edit: oh and as for Inconnu,  I didn't care what everyone else was doing, I went after them first :) Ugly, fish-faced, paleskinned noobs!

I approve of this post 100% image

When Daoc had realm pride, it was an amazing feeling in that game. If a relic keep came under attack, everyone would stop doing whatever they were doing, level 50 or 30, it didn't matter, we defended! Nostalgia colored glasses rock.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    I agree with the pride & competition mechanic being amazing...although wouldn't the same effect be possible without a race  or class lock? I am guessing if you make the factions have distinct ideologies that players will likely back personally or through their character person people will get passionate/invested in the faction wars. Add in some some visual distinction other than a floating red bar and you can replicate that seething hatred of enemy factions lol.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Rumor would insinuate that there is something to substantiate or cause said rumor.  Neither of which has occurred and this is just pure and utterly delusional speculation.  Whose to say that they are allowing different factions to team up for PvE content?  Or how said screenshot was done when they just randomly picked said race to do a pose?
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Because we can't all get along, and that creates war, otherwise what point would there be to PVP?
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    In-game quest would be nice. Something like EQ2 had.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Player Armor has been shown to have a very "Painted On" look. The characters in each screen have some stretching around their arms from their character movement, pointing to the fact its most likely a player.The Npc's on the other hand have more "Texture" based models, probably from being developed as one piece rather than what can basically be conceived as a "Different coat of paint" for the player character's armor.Im not citing this as fact, I made it clear these are rumors, but at the same time you cant deny what I am saying isnt at all  plausibly accurate can you?
    Thanks for the explanation :) Anything is possible, yes :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

it wouldnt bet that hard to do.  Take off race restrictions completely, but you have to choose  your starting faction from level 1.  Problem solved

• Delavega86Delavega86 Member Posts: 112

i think that once you reach max level, the PvE zone should be the same for all three factions.

you should be able to group up with anyone in the PvE zones at max level.

altho ESO would have been the ideal mmo to have a FFA-PvP without factions....

devs felt otherwise.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its a bit of a mix really. It depends really how a character's creation goes and how established they are beginning off. If its a new character fresh and having never adventured or anything of the sort, to me in makes some sense they would be put on one side due to their race primarily sitting at one faction. They would be 'aligned' to them but then I'd see a quest relatively early would allow them to break that alignment and switch sides. THis could also work if the player starts 'neutral' of sorts, eventually in a quest line picking a side to support.

At character creation could work if its meant to be a more established character. Being able to pick a side they have joined sides with. 

It really depends on how they go about it. Through cash shop is NOT the way to do it, its immersion breaking and just stupid if your trying to deliver 'story' in a game thats based of a series fixated on the story and the world. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Let's hope not. That'd be the death toll for this game.

First, they start putting more emphasis on instances and phasing instead of public dungeons like originally. Then they do the mega server, screwing over RvR. Then they make it so you can go to other realms. This game is shaping up to be a pleaser of none.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Piiritus
    In-game quest would be nice. Something like EQ2 had.

yeah, its really the only solution that keeps everything the way it is now but gives people the option to play with their friends or guild no matter what race they are.

the only issue i can think of is a lot of people would be doing it.

but for larger guilds or groups of friends i would say something like this would be great.

especially if you have friends who like to make alts and you still want to play together but don't want to keep rolling the same three races.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I wonder....we will see I guess.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by krage
    I agree with the pride & competition mechanic being amazing...although wouldn't the same effect be possible without a race  or class lock? I am guessing if you make the factions have distinct ideologies that players will likely back personally or through their character person people will get passionate/invested in the faction wars. Add in some some visual distinction other than a floating red bar and you can replicate that seething hatred of enemy factions lol.

yup love it.

get rid of the race locked factions and have us pick our own factions based on ideology.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Really hope not.

Won't be playing if they have some tsw / rift style chums in pve, "enemies" in "pvp" system, will be full of cross faction pve mega guilds rve farming / keep trading / kill trading the pvp zone to get starter sets for endgame pve.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Firstly - IF this rumour has any truth to it, there should be a quest to achieve it (I voted 1) and their consequences should be pretty heavy and pretty permanent, with maybe one opportunity to make amends and go back to your original faction if you feel the 'grass isn't greener on the other side'.

Secondly - race lock (as much as I personally think it is a second-rate MMO plot device) needs to be replaced with another recognition system in Cyrodil. I would suggest tabard additions or whatever so faction is clearly shown. I certainly want to see less coloured headbanner stuff and more IC visual in this regard.

Thirdly - as race lock is a seemingly inextricable theme at this point, faction shifting of this kind needs to be level restricted with a LONG cooldown. I would suggest around 3 months.

Let's have some ROLEPLAY CONSEQUENCES for fundamental character choices of this kind. You would be (as things currently stand) a TURNCOAT/BETRAYER/TRAITOR - call it what you will - and coming back into the fold should be a steep climb with much eating crow before you achieve it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If your going rvr, you need to go rvr hard. These suggestions will do more harm than good.

I won't buy the game unless
    A it has hard faction locks, rvr only works with hard faction locks
    B they take another year or two and redesign it as a true ffa system with economic drivers, player loot and varying security levels based on location.

And tsw, swtor, rift, early gw2 etc.. style woolyness and I'm out.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

I voted no, keep the system they designed not a mish mash of what every forum go'er wants. I hate faction hoppers.

I agree whole heartedly with ShakyMo above me. Spot on.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"