Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger removed from game list?

RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
Well I was a follower of the game some months ago, but I have been disconnected of gaming due to my job, tonight I looked for the game to see some news about it, but discovered it had been moved from the list, if my memory does not fails the game was in the list, but it apparently has been removed. Does anyone know the reason of this decision?

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Appleton threatened mmorpg with litigation because of negative press. [mod edit]
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I cant find the thread as that thread has been deleted, but Appleton threatened to sue MMORPG,  there was an article about that and he got really defensive in that Article as well, but I cant find it now, so I guess that one got deleted as well.

So MMORPG just removed all of the threads and all of the bashing that Appleton was getting.  

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Appleton threatened mmorpg with litigation because of negative press. [mod edit]

Basically this.  The creator of Greed Monger, Jason Appleton, made some thinly veiled (and others not so thin) threats to take legal action against "trolls" of his game and MMORPG.com itself for allowing a place for those people to trash his game and himself.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Wow, did not know that, sad thing the game lost such a exposure as the one gotten in this website. Well I think Mr. Appleton knew the consequences of such a words. Thanks for all the input.

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

Hello thanks for following us. Yes our Listing was removed from this site for several reasons which I won't go into. Hopefully once we are nearing Beta we can work with MMORPG.com to get our listing back up and get you all informed on our Progress again.

Where you have been out of the Loop for a while here is a very quick run down of our progress as well as some screenshots we have released to date.

So first of all everyone's been waiting for our Alpha to start. We are working some bugs out of our code and getting some of the basic systems integrated. Once that is done we will be starting our Alpha. Internally we have a date set but we haven't officially announced it yet. All I can say is it's coming up very soon.

We have switched back to Unity3D from Hero. We ran into a ton of issues with Hero that really slowed down our Development cycle and we were having a very hard time getting the quality we were looking for with out getting the source code license. We have been back with Unity for a few months now and considering the short amount of time we have been with Unity we have made amazing progress.

We have switched our Servers to Cloud hosting which is allowing us to get far more beefier hardware for less then what we were paying to run our own Server farm in a Colo facility. We can expand our hardware infrastructure as needed at a moments notice instead of having to go out and buy all new hardware and wait for it to be shipped and then get it setup.

Our Team is constantly growing and includes some veterans in the industry including a world builder who freelances for Ubisoft and worked on the Far Cry games as a QA tester and then a Level Designer. He's doing some great work on both the Tropics and Desert Climates.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Looks nice at least. Will have to check it out.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Not bad JamesP. Have to say the progress looks pretty good graphic wise. Keep up the good work and you'll have at least one new customer when beta/release comes around.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I cant find the thread as that thread has been deleted, but Appleton threatened to sue MMORPG,  there was an article about that and he got really defensive in that Article as well, but I cant find it now, so I guess that one got deleted as well.

So MMORPG just removed all of the threads and all of the bashing that Appleton was getting.  

I have Bill Murphy's response to the game being unlisted: http://mmofallout.com/?p=10292

In case this hasn’t been answered yet, yes.  He emailed me directly and asked us to remove the negative posts about the game.  He also hinted at taking legal action if we didn’t remove the posts of our users, and we decided we didn’t need a baseless lawsuit.

If you want to blame someone for the removal of the game listing and forums, blame Jason Appleton.  But when someone threatens us with legal action, we can either a.) ignore it or b.) react with what we think is appropriate.  In Greed Monger’s case, it’s probably just better to igore its existence as a website.

I wish the Greed Monger devs well, but I’m not too thrilled with how they handled the negativity our forum users tossed their way.  If they can’t take the criticism and claims of trolls, they’re in for a rude awakening in this industry.

Maybe one day we’ll re-add the game to our list, but that depends on whether or not our users are allowed to post about it without the site being under threat of legal recourse.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Threatening legal action because of post on a forum. Really? Welcome to the internet buddy. You lose. (Never buying your game because your actions are a disgrace to devs.)
  • HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

It is not like he would have won a lawsuit over the opinions of others under free speech lol

Just glad MMORPG took the high road

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    This site is by far the most popular MMORPG site for news on new games. Bad publicity on this site is better than no publicity by far and lets face it..........what game on here doesnt get bad publicity. Dude truly is immature. Wow, Im actually angered by this. Really do not like this Appleton guy. Good call Bill. I say keep him off the list. For good.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's unlikely the listing will be getting put back up. Switching engines, not having a source code licence and switching to cloud hosting I don't really like those ideas. Plus the other stuff which I saw where everyone was going ape. Still I spent 5ish years in a little indie game with memories of a small community and a bi polar admin and still managed to enjoy myself so anything's possible I guess.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by emperorwings
    It's unlikely the listing will be getting put back up. Switching engines, not having a source code licence and switching to cloud hosting I don't really like those ideas. Plus the other stuff which I saw where everyone was going ape. Still I spent 5ish years in a little indie game with memories of a small community and a bi polar admin and still managed to enjoy myself so anything's possible I guess.

With Unity3D you don't need a source code license. We are able to do everything we need to with out touching the Engine's Source code. We could even go as far as to add a custom terrain engine if we needed to which thankfully at this time we don't need to. That's not to say 5 years after launch we won't decide to do some massive updating to the game that includes a custom Terrain engine. But at this time Unity's Terrain engine does everything we need it to. 

As for Cloud Hosting like I said we are paying fare less for better hardware that can be upgraded at a moments notice. We are getting performance on it with people connecting from around the world with good performance. 

Switching Engines we have done for the last time now. We are invested in Unity and won't be changing the engine for GM again. Things are moving along and progressing nicely.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    So when is the next Kickstarter? Its not like you guys have not wasted a ton of money already or anything.
  • RadshakRadshak Member UncommonPosts: 36

I really think taking the game off line off of mmorpgs website is a good thing.  Haters can't hate unabashedly.  People trying to destroy other people is pretty damn low. 

Lets give this game a chance.  Once it is finished I hope it will be everything the creators hoped it would be, including me.

If its a big turd, well one more big turd in the toilet of many other bigger turds.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by JamesP
    Blah blah blah...

I hope MMORPG.com refuse to list your game ever again, you want the good without the bad, it ain't happening batman, the internet never forgets.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Hahhns

It is not like he would have won a lawsuit over the opinions of others under free speech lol

Just glad MMORPG took the high road

Well, he should expect some of  us to react in a way that means we will never play any game he is ever involved in.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by PieRad
    Originally posted by JamesP
    Blah blah blah...

I hope MMORPG.com refuse to list your game ever again, you want the good without the bad, it ain't happening batman, the internet never forgets.

Exactly...why should MMORPG.com ever consider listing this game again after the crap the game designers pulled.    I'd tell them to take a flying leap.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Wow, is he new to the internet then?
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Wow, is he new to the internet then?

I'd like to post one of those "Welcome to the internet" meme pictures for Mr. Appleton but I know I'd be banned if I did.  He's not worth it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Omali
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I have Bill Murphy's response to the game being unlisted: http://mmofallout.com/?p=10292

In case this hasn’t been answered yet, yes.  He emailed me directly and asked us to remove the negative posts about the game.  He also hinted at taking legal action if we didn’t remove the posts of our users, and we decided we didn’t need a baseless lawsuit.

If you want to blame someone for the removal of the game listing and forums, blame Jason Appleton.  But when someone threatens us with legal action, we can either a.) ignore it or b.) react with what we think is appropriate.  In Greed Monger’s case, it’s probably just better to igore its existence as a website.

I wish the Greed Monger devs well, but I’m not too thrilled with how they handled the negativity our forum users tossed their way.  If they can’t take the criticism and claims of trolls, they’re in for a rude awakening in this industry.

Maybe one day we’ll re-add the game to our list, but that depends on whether or not our users are allowed to post about it without the site being under threat of legal recourse.

....and I get called a troll and banned a lott?.....geez this takes the cake!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

What, a dev threatened legal action....over forum trolls?

I actually liked those screenshots, but if the developer is immature, then the game will be crap.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

To be fair, I think Appleton may have had good intentions (in regards to trying to produce a MMORPG), but he wasn't prepared for the unbridled criticism which followed some of his questionable decisions (and probably wasn't prepared for the complex nature of developing a MMORPG). He quickly discovered that Internet forum-goers will gladly criticize every little nuance of his life leading up to -- and beyond -- the present day. Conspiracy theorists, skeptics, and hardcore fans alike each took turns investigating and debating the finer points of Appleton's decisions. Many of them had valid arguments, which were heavily debated by all.

The real issue arose when Appleton decided to personally partake in those debates. When things didn't go his way, he had a tendency to abuse his position -- and in some cases his authority -- by issuing bans and completely silencing negative critics and criticism. In some cases, he made very strong statements that could be considered offensive or abusive (a "fight fire with fire" mentality).

There were instances where the negative criticism couldn't be removed or silenced by means within Appleton's control (i.e. he has no direct control of the members or moderation of the MMORPG.com forums). In these situations, he made legal threats (or hinted at legal action).

According to Appleton, these extreme measures were in the best interest of defending his image and reputation as a family man and professional businessman (he didn't want potential partners or clients to search for him on Google, and find all of this negative criticism posted by bitter gamers and haters). This is understandable, but he could have approached it in a different way.

Worse than the criticism posted by gamers, were the remarks made by Appleton himself. He may be a successful businessman and good at organizing teams for whatever he's working on, but don't let him communicate with any customers who have anything but glowingly positive things to say about his character or his work. He has proven that he has a short temper and does not receive criticism well, and will return the criticism in-kind (usually by attacking or threatening the critics).

Appleton may or may not have organized an amazing team with some incredibly bright artists and programmers capable of producing the best MMORPG ever, but it's in his best interest to avoid communicating with potential gamers, because he will likely turn them away. I won't dismiss this game based on Appleton alone, I will follow it cautiously, because who knows? Maybe his team will actually produce something worth playing.  Appleton seems passionate about his work, so maybe he can pull it off.

Originally posted by Mkilbride

What, a dev threatened legal action....over forum trolls?

I actually liked those screenshots, but if the developer is immature, then the game will be crap.

It's not that Jason or any of our Team is immature. We were planning on Greed Monger the GAME being attacked and trolled. It was the Personal attacks against us as people that took us by surprise and we reacted accordingly. We have learned from our past mistakes and we have a community manager who handles any personal attacks for us and it seems to be working nicely now. 

I personally read every post in this thread including all the negative comments against us. The Great thing about our Country is that every one is entitled to their own opinions and personally I wouldn't have it any other way. With that comes the right to think anything about us people want to and I'm ok with that. I just hope one day we can prove the negative wrong and look back on this and laugh it off!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Hopefully they delete this and they never let you back on this site. You don't threaten to sue people then want back in good graces later on. 

This discussion has been closed.