Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chosen Server Type? (PvP and PvE confirmed)

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Edit: Start vid @ 7:00 -- 7:20 for specific quote reference.

In a recent interview with Opposition Podcast, one of the Carbine developers (Jen Gordy) confirmed that there will be PvP server rule sets with open-world PvP.  At the same time, she also confirmed that on a PvE server players can 'flag' themselves for open-world PvP if they so choose.    Neither of these are for objectives currently, as there are no open-world PvP objectives in the game.  All PvP objective play is contained in the Warplots and Battlegrounds.

But, my poll still stand at point:  Which server will you play and why?

I'll be playing on an open-world PvP server, much as I'd choose when I'd originally played WoW, and on Warhammer, and on Age of Conan, and on The Old Republic.    It's fun to always look over your shoulder, never knowing if there's someone lurking in the shadows waiting to kill you mid-mob fight; or to be lurking the shadows waiting for someone to just barely get to the resource node and then attack them when their guard is down as they try to gather (much to what I do currently in GW2 borderland maps :P).

Comments

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

RP-PVP if they have it , if not then PVP.

Just prefer the RP-PVP crowd overall.

Regardless , my best times in WoW and other mmo's were always spontaneous open world battles , be it Tarren Mill or some Cruma Tower bloodbath in L2 or East Common fights on the Zek servers in EQ.

I very much prefer open world over instanced bg crap.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Just prefer the RP-PVP crowd overall.

this cause RP and PVP go so well together! 

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

RP-PVP if they have it , if not then PVP. Just prefer the RP-PVP crowd overall. Regardless , my best times in WoW and other mmo's were always spontaneous open world battles , be it Tarren Mill or some Cruma Tower bloodbath in L2 or East Common fights on the Zek servers in EQ.I very much prefer open world over instanced bg crap.

^THIS X1000303847389999

I %100 agree sir. And I truly do not understand why every game doesn't at least have an oWPvP server option. Even if its just a couple servers. So many games have disappointed me due to a lack of this. Games that I would have otherwise played and even paid a sub fee for
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If I do play and that is a big IF since the cartoony look of this game is a big turn off for me, I would stick to the PvE servers.  I always find PvP brings out the worst type of players.  
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I will jump to PvE server. I prefer PvP server for the open world pvp while leveling but i HATE when the only enemy players i see are high levels one shotting and ruining the low levels experiences. Even when i encounter a fair fight some high level jerk happens to pass by and one shot me. So yeah, thats not fun and ill jump to PvE server for that reason. Unless they automatically unflag high level players from attacking low level players (a level bracket thing)

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

For everyone that picked PvP server:

If you whine about getting ganked, trolled, abused and outright dominated, please... with sugar on top, go to a PvE server, because you clearly don't want to be on a server with open PvP rulesets. PvE servers have all the same instanced PvP goodness that the PvP servers do. Don't go to a PvP server and then whine about the rules... you ruin it for everyone.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

PVP server for me, as others have said I do enjoy not knowing if this will be the mob where someone that has been watching me decides to attack and vice versa.

Also I wish someone would finally have the balls to come out with a perma death PVP server.  Just one, I just don't know why some company would not just release one.  I think it would be a big hit for those of us that are interested in that.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Very dependent on if an how the world PVP will be structured, and how their PVP risk-reward system will work.

I loved WoW's early PVP even before the honor patch, from simple one-on-one fights to brawls around quest hubs/POI's to full blown raids in the Barrens, Hillsbard, Redridge and many other areas.

If the PVP in this game will be well enough structured to not be a simple gank fest and the zones will be structured well enough to keep a relatively small population density and spread quest objectives over as much area as possible so you won't have to fight 10 guys just to get to the next point i won't mind rolling on a PVP server.

But if this game will turn every char leveling into a cannon fodder simulator i doubt i'll roll on a PVP server.

I would love to have that feeling i used to have with WoW even during the TBC(Who would've figured that TBC would turn out to be the best expansion of this game) , and i won't mind spicing it up with some additional risk and challenges that a contested environment can provide. But many games these days just fail in doing that, GW2 just gave up on that, and with SWTOR it was fun but i really felt that i was just ganking poor folks  on my Shadow tank during leveling.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Tinybina

PVP server for me, as others have said I do enjoy not knowing if this will be the mob where someone that has been watching me decides to attack and vice versa.

Also I wish someone would finally have the balls to come out with a perma death PVP server.  Just one, I just don't know why some company would not just release one.  I think it would be a big hit for those of us that are interested in that.

There are two that I'm aware of: EVE Online and Darkfall.  While you don't lose your skills/training in those games when you die, you do lose everything that's on your body that can be looted.  This would mean your entire ship is scuttled (EVE) and your entire armor set+gear+potions lost (Darkfall).  If you want that time of gameplay, those two games have it core designed into them.

As for this game, which is Wildstar, it's not designed for a perma-death mechanic, nor would they apply one.  That kind of mechanic attracts all the wrong people to a game where their target audience is something different.  Also, since it's so niche that there would be hardly any takers, the server dedication and upkeep wouldn't be worth the company's cost.   Another last thing to look at is the turnover rate for perma-death games, in which after a player dies they don't stay too long and don't restart because it's not fun.....it's NOT FUN!  Get that last part?

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by flizzer
    If I do play and that is a big IF since the cartoony look of this game is a big turn off for me, I would stick to the PvE servers.  I always find PvP brings out the worst type of players.  

Yeah same here. Looks goofy as all get out but if the gameplay is good I'll give it a go.

To be fair PvE has its asshats too. But asshats rule in PvP servers.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

used to play on pvp servers only before and wouldnt consider other type servers, but in rift i played on pve because i didnt start at game launch  and getting ganked while leveling was bit bleh, but rift have free any time instant server transfers,so its kinda different , think i am still on pve server but considering i always forget pvp flag on i might as well be on pvp ,

dunno about wildstar, imagine climbing some puzzle for 5 mins and getting killed near the end, doing hard warrior slaughter thing, what sthe name?  just to get pwned, a lot of griefing can be done , at same time doing puzzles next to opposite faction player is fun too as long as  you both are polite and nice players, and i feel settlers will have more fun on pvp servers, because of town attacking and such

time will tell, probably pvp as i plan to start as early as they give prepurchase with beta ( DO IT ALREADY , ( every trashy game does it, we need proper game now ))

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by wormed

For everyone that picked PvP server:

If you whine about getting ganked, trolled, abused and outright dominated, please... with sugar on top, go to a PvE server, because you clearly don't want to be on a server with open PvP rulesets. PvE servers have all the same instanced PvP goodness that the PvP servers do. Don't go to a PvP server and then whine about the rules... you ruin it for everyone.

I agree!

I am always surprised when someone rolls on a PvP server then cries because people act like total douchbags on it. What do you expect from a PvP sever? Quality gamesmanship? Nice, friendly people to hold hands with? No. You get total assholes that just want to gank lowbies and ruin peoples fun. Not a hard thing to figure out.

If you want to enjoy a good MMO without the dickheads then roll PvE or RP-PvE if available. Simple as that.

EDIT: Let me be clear, I am all for PvP servers. I think they are necessary for many reasons. Mainly it keeps the kiddies off the PvE servers so i don't have to deal with all the E-peen nonsense. Also some gamers just like to kill and fuck with other gamers. No problem, it's your money to blow however you want, just stay on the PvP severs where that is the norm. Segregation is what I'm saying. It's not always a bad thing!image

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    PvE, and if there will be one launched, then RP-PvE as well. The more alts the merrier :)
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Tinybina

There are two that I'm aware of: EVE Online and Darkfall.  While you don't lose your skills/training in those games when you die, you do lose everything that's on your body that can be looted.  This would mean your entire ship is scuttled (EVE) and your entire armor set+gear+potions lost (Darkfall).  If you want that time of gameplay, those two games have it core designed into them.

As for this game, which is Wildstar, it's not designed for a perma-death mechanic, nor would they apply one.  That kind of mechanic attracts all the wrong people to a game where their target audience is something different.  Also, since it's so niche that there would be hardly any takers, the server dedication and upkeep wouldn't be worth the company's cost.   Another last thing to look at is the turnover rate for perma-death games, in which after a player dies they don't stay too long and don't restart because it's not fun.....it's NOT FUN!  Get that last part?

Yeah well I kinda mean like a AAA game.. Those 2 just don't do it for me.. They look terrible to be honest, IMO.  

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20

I think more games should have the pve/pvp phases similar to DCUO. It's all on the same server, one is pvp and the other pve.

Start out on pvp, get smacked down one to many times by level 30s, just go to the pve phase ,level to 30 and go gank lowbies.

Strictly pve people would never know the other phase was there if they didn't care and vice verse, I like the option personally depending on my mood and what kind of time I have that day.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by wormed

For everyone that picked PvP server:If you whine about getting ganked, trolled, abused and outright dominated, please... with sugar on top, go to a PvE server, because you clearly don't want to be on a server with open PvP rulesets. PvE servers have all the same instanced PvP goodness that the PvP servers do. Don't go to a PvP server and then whine about the rules... you ruin it for everyone.

THANK you
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    PvE, without any kind of loss mechanics or death penalty to threaten griefers with (i'm assuming) PvP servers tend to have more risk (well annoyance really), with, to me, no reward.
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

The issue of PVP servers with no safe zones at all for PvE is that they tend to bring out the absolute worst of the game community, and that means the people who want total freaking anarchy.  On the new server in Age of Wushu, a number of folks in Smoke guild have decided that the fun thing is to go through and gank all the people who are trying to run up their tradeskills outside the newbie city of Chengdu on a regular basis.  This is more or less the equivalent of reavers in Firefly.  These folks have higher level skills, having run them up from having come from the older servers, and are taking folks who are mostly starting new from the incentive of the gift packs advertised on the various places like here, and making their lives hell.

I think this is a great way to insure low population, and a failed server.  I've been trying to encourage folks to guard the crafters but "that's no fun."  It would be totally within wushu RP.  But no.

• Dornin34Dornin34 Member Posts: 14
    I think the rule set will have a lot to do with it. I seriously don't think they are to put in corpse looting in a game like this. My guess is that even the pvp server will have safe zones and some restrictions. If it's a faction based game then I don't see how it even makes sense to have to use a flagging system for pvp.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    It depends on the specific rule set and map.
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    turning more and more in WoW 2.0 :/
  • Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I wanna get interested in playing this game and am hopeful since they do include a pvp server ruleset but pvp with no reward/penalty system is failed pvp. They need to make sure that this doesn't turn into a wow or gw2 type pvp where you die and get back in the battle with no loss...
  • itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
     I personally prefer the risk of the PvP server. I will be going there, so I can whine about people PvPing ;d
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by itsTort

I personally prefer the risk of the PvP server. I will be going there, so I can whine about people PvPing ;d

There's no real risk. You don't lose anything important when you die, so it'll just be your good clean fragfest. It's not a 'server that's an open-world pvp game', it's a 'server that allows pvp in pve areas'. There's no risk when there's no loss, whether of gear, territory, or resources. Could still be good chaotic fun, though :)