Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it or Hate it, EVE Online is still the ONLY GOOD News in the MMO World.

Comments

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

EVE is simply amazing. It's one of the few actual worlds as opposed to most modern style mmod being developed as games. Fun is ******* overrated!

When in doubt, troll.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by simplius

EVE looks to be fine, but only at the first glance

how many accounts are PLEX driven? the very few EVE players, i know, all use

alt accounts, with PLEX, that they earn on their mains

so, ccp tries to get into a new market with dust 514, and that doesnt seem to be going so well

i dont think EVE will be shutting down, but i dont think its growing either

EVE is growing at the fastest rate in it's history at the moment. It gained ~20% subs in about 15 months. I think CCP are pretty pleased with EVE's commercial performance right now.

DUST I don't know, I'm not really involved with, except that it's seeing roughly 25% of Planetside II's login rate. That's not outstanding but not disasterous either. CCP have said right from the start that they're going for the "slow and steady" growth model for DUST, just like they did with EVE. Who knows, maybe that's what will happen.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

EVE Online is like 25 year old Scotch....you either love it or hate it.

I do not drink so would not know. :-)

I'm glad for those that enjoy Eve .. I have tried few times .. but simply is not game for me, boring as hell.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Eve Online lacks one of the major things that makes a mmo what it is. It lacks exploration and discovery. Big open space that has nonthing out there in it. Eve to me is more like a online rts game.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Eve Online lacks one of the major things that makes a mmo what it is. It lacks exploration and discovery. Big open space that has nonthing out there in it. Eve to me is more like a online rts game.

Wut? EVE has more of that than any other MMO there is. By orders of magnitude.

Well I mean you do have to leave hi-sec, I guess...

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by simplius

EVE looks to be fine, but only at the first glance

how many accounts are PLEX driven? the very few EVE players, i know, all use

alt accounts, with PLEX, that they earn on their mains

Huh? What does it matter how many account are payed for by PLEX?

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

EVE is good.  It's a very complex game.  It's certainly not for everyone.  It takes time, patience, and dedication to really embrace what EVE has to offer.  Even then, the game will chew you up and spit you out the moment you think you've got the hang of it.  It's one of the only games I have played that truly doesn't cater to the masses.

CCP is a solid company and they do their best to meet fan expectations.  EVE has changed over the years, and seems like it's getting better as it ages.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Whilst I'd say eve is the best mmo currently available, i'd have to agree with this.  For me exploration always ended as 'boxes in space'.  But a good concept none the less, maybe if/when they add avatars properly it'll become so much more.

Still better than what they offer in sto, which makes no sense.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Lazarus71
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by UnleadedRevnd fun, it will be hard for me to ignore it and not sub.

If you like Sci-Fi and space genres, this is the game for you...if you like to REALLY and I mean REALLY get wrapped up in an MMO, down to the intimate details, this game is for you.

I absolutely love sci-fi and space genres.  I have ever since waiting in line for several hours at the movie theater just to see Star Wars back in 1977.  However, this game is NOT for me.  I wish it was, but it isn't.

Same for me Rodingo....

I have tried EVE multiple times over the years and I just can't get into the game for some reason even though I love the concept.

I've tried as well...I think its coorporation...you need to get in one that works for you quick...I never found that and quit quicly

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by Karahandras

Whilst I'd say eve is the best mmo currently available, i'd have to agree with this.  For me exploration always ended as 'boxes in space'.  But a good concept none the less, maybe if/when they add avatars properly it'll become so much more.

Still better than what they offer in sto, which makes no sense.

Discovery and exploration are both emphasized in the next expansion due out on the 4th of June:

A New Age of Discovery

Exploration Site Challenges

And look at all the other stuff they're adding/changing in Odyssey: http://www.eveonline.com/odyssey/

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

Honestly after many games that I have played EVE and FFXI were the only ones that managed to keep my interest. 

For better or for worse they have actual communities and a strong social aspect that most mmos lack.

If my EVE account hadn't been hacked by chinese farmers ( they have a feature that show the country someone has logged from) and emptied from all isk I would still be playing. :/

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by gigat

EVE is good.  It's a very complex game.  It's certainly not for everyone.  It takes time, patience, and dedication to really embrace what EVE has to offer.  Even then, the game will chew you up and spit you out the moment you think you've got the hang of it.  It's one of the only games I have played that truly doesn't cater to the masses.

CCP is a solid company and they do their best to meet fan expectations.  EVE has changed over the years, and seems like it's getting better as it ages.

Lets see, you play eve, eve is complex, you must be a genius and everyone who doesn't LIKE the game must be too stupid to understand it?  Please pat yourself on the back.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Lets see, you play eve, eve is complex, you must be a genius and everyone who doesn't LIKE the game must be too stupid to understand it?  Please pat yourself on the back.

That was not what he said. At all.

EVE is a hard game to like. I think most EVE players have no problem understanding why there are many who dont like the game. But with, what, 1 out of 10 who tries it liking it, it is not unfair to say that those who do stay must be a different kind of people from the rest, they are a minority after all.

No where in that post did he imply that EVE players where superior, just different. You are reading something that is not there.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh look, we have a fanboi :)

i don't like eve that much, it's a good solid idea, but the game engine itself aint the best imo. 

i just prefer direct flight.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SeagravesSeagraves Member Posts: 2

CCP is a solid company and they do their best to meet fan expectations. 

Look I have no issues with EVE and genuinely respect what the game/community has evolved into.

The comment that you just made about CCP being "solid" and "meeting fan expectations" are highly objective if you look into CCP's past in regards to things like the monocle gate fiasco, the "Greed is Good" document that was leaked, and the occasional "help" developers have occasionally given to certain guilds.

Again EVE is amazing, CCP has done too many questionable things in the past to have any trust from my end.

Originally posted by Thane

i just prefer direct flight.

Many say they do. Yet in Elite the first thing everybody saved up for was the Auto Pilot... :p (Ok, auto docking to be fair, but still...)

And all the direct flight games out there have been doing pretty poor sales for the last decade. It hink they have a market if done well, but alas noone has delivered one for quite some time...

Personally direct flight in space just never worked for me. I am to old and slow for twitch based gaming, which I guess is why I stuck with EvE.

Originally posted by Seagraves

Look I have no issues with EVE and genuinely respect what the game/community has evolved into.

The comment that you just made about CCP being "solid" and "meeting fan expectations" are highly objective if you look into CCP's past in regards to things like the monocle gate fiasco, the "Greed is Good" document that was leaked, and the occasional "help" developers have occasionally given to certain guilds.

Again EVE is amazing, CCP has done too many questionable things in the past to have any trust from my end.

Ok, if you are going to quote, do so correctly. It was "Greed is Good?". People always forget the questionmark, which is just not fair. The whole document argued BOTH sides, and was an employee debate magazine, not a mission statement. You can google it and read it. Nothing much to see there.

As for the "help" there is ONE case in 10 years. Woha... Really big problem.

Monocle gate. They fixed it and stopped working on it. Did WoW or GW remove thier cash shops when players objected?

Seriously. If you want to bitch about CCP, attack their lack of a clear vision or something else substantial. That stuff was just silly.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yeah it is nice to see a sandbox still going strong but the game is not for normal working people. You need either shell out a lot to convert PLEX to isk or spend hours farming to be able to replace lost ships/modules.

Wish they released a more "light" server where death was not such a huge loss.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

While I don't deny EVE is a great MMO. They've made their share of flubs. Problem is, age is creeping up on it also. Not sure how long they can keep upgrading without a complete overhaul to keep it relevant. I'm sure they have a nervous eye on Star Citizen, on the horizon. Not sure DUST 514 was the right path, either. Time will tell. It may be they'll survive by adapting to consoles ? Personally I think it's heading in the wrong direction. Short of putting it on a new engine though , it's options are starting to get limited.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I like my PvP "ground based". I'll stick to chopping off people's heads in Age of Conan. :)
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I tried it, and I found it utterly boring.  That's not to say I don't like the concept, it sounds great on paper, but in my personal experience, a great community doesn't mean a whole lot if the game is so unenjoyable that you quit before really getting to know anyone.  I'm glad sandbox fans have at least one decent game that actually IS a sandbox and not just called one by eager fans (ie: AA), but I'm still waiting for my first good time in a sandbox, because EVE was not it.  It's not the only good news.
  • SeagravesSeagraves Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Seagraves

Ok, if you are going to quote, do so correctly. It was "Greed is Good?". People always forget the questionmark, which is just not fair. The whole document argued BOTH sides, and was an employee debate magazine, not a mission statement. You can google it and read it. Nothing much to see there.

As for the "help" there is ONE case in 10 years. Woha... Really big problem.

Monocle gate. They fixed it and stopped working on it. Did WoW or GW remove thier cash shops when players objected?

Seriously. If you want to bitch about CCP, attack their lack of a clear vision or something else substantial. That stuff was just silly.

How is it silly? These were all things that had direct interaction with the community. Game balances and changes that people have a tendency to complain about never bother me with developers.

All of those items I just listed are things completely inconsequential to gameplay and focus solely on the community as a whole. 

The Monocle Gate wasn't a fiasco because they added a cash shop, cash shops don't bother me by any means, it was the sheer audacity that they had to price the things that they did. To me it was highly disrespectful.

"The help" has happened on more occasions that you are given credit for.

And if you really want to see me bitch the only thing I'd genuinely raise hell about is how CCP turned away from their core community of PC fans for the console's in Dust.

Again I respect what they have turned the game into, I am also looking forward to World of Darkness. But just because I enjoy a game doesn't mean I have to trust a company developing it.

Originally posted by waynejr2

It's probably taken me 7 years to figure out how to play EVE online effectively.  This is the reason I stated "It takes time, patience, and dedication to really embrace what EVE has to offer."

Because of this, I stand by my statement that "It's certainly not for everyone," especially considering the recent trends in the MMORPG industry.

Feel free to twist my words and take them completely out of context.  But please don't assume I am someone who thinks he is a genius or is better than anyone else.  I assure you that isn't the case.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

From my experience I don't think EVE is a more complex game than most strategy games out there in terms of game mechanics. What makes it SEEM complex is the randomness that ensues when players are left on their own devices.

So you can say it's a mmo strategy game with many random events.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Post was a little over the top... but then u said Dust 514 was epic. LOL. It's catastrophically awful man.