Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wanted to vomit.

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    You can blame anyone for thinking like a player since that's what they are mos likely. Quality, updates, CS items, CS driven design, all these things happen on a sliding scale for anything free. This has to be the case since non of them are government funded. There is going to be a "cost" associate with any MMO regardless of what form it comes in.

Some people don't mind the negatives that come from F2P or B2P and that's great, especially if you like playing many titles at the same time. I personally love subscriptions if it means keeping things simple and not monetizing everything throughout my gameplay.

I think the better experience is worth the 21.00 a month (sub+6/mo xpac). Some "costs" are not about money.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

You will never achieve the quality in a f2p game that was in a subscription based game.

Why is this?

because a subscription does not carry with it..

Restricted Items -unless accessed with real money-

locked chests with no keys -unless purchased with real money-

Access to specific zones - unless unlocked with real money-

Low level cap -unless raised with real money-

locked classes - unless unlocked with real money-

pretty much anything you like to do is generally monetized to some extent in a F2P game. It's monetized because they know you'll pay for it. When all you're playing is a skeleton its going to cost a lot more than 15 bucks to put some flesh on its ass. 

So yea. the mentality of this post made me vomit. I'm vomiting right now.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    *can't blame

Hehe
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Wow, how are people not understanding what I said?

Seriously, they don't understand that that was the post I quoted?

I don't agree with it, ya idjits.

no, some of them didn't read it.

I do think the "vomit" part was a bit strong but I get your point.

I find it funny that such laughably small amount of money ($15) is the deal breaker for some people. If people actually kept track of their money they would see that many times they blow that amount in less than 5 minutes on any given day.

But again, it comes down to value.

What are you getting for your money.

Part of this attitude is the game companies' fault as they didn't' deliver enough timely content so players felt that they were just paying into the companies' bank accounts without getting anything that was (seemingly) tangible.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    If you can't pay $15 a month for a game, you have bigger things to worry about than whether a game is P2P or F2P.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    If you can't pay $15 a month for a game, you have bigger things to worry about than whether a game is P2P or F2P.

Has anyone ever said that they can't pay $15/ month?

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by colddog04

Plenty say that. I hear that argument quite often. That it's expensive, etc. And like others are saying, if people have a problem using $15 / 12.99 EUR monthly on a game they have access to 24/7, then perhaps, they have some other issues they should look into fixing. Yet, at the same time, they have no issues going out, dumping a bunch of cash on a one time movie night with popcorn, etc.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I find it a lot easier to stomach subscription games versus free to play games, always.  How many of you people that love the shit out of free to play games pay more than the $15 / month yet you are crying about games with a subscription?  I have quit every free to play game I have started within the first month, but played UO 3 years, EQ 7 years, EQ2 4 years, and WoW 5 years.  I haven't played a single f2p game more than a month, and do not plan to ever play one longer.  Hell even b2p, Guild Wars lasted less than 2 weeks, turns my stomach.  You just do not get the same level of game you get with subscription.  The day they stop having subscription based MMOs is the day I quit playing games, because I do not play single player games, which is basically b2p with DLC now.  
    Originally posted by Adokas

Plenty say that. I hear that argument quite often. That it's expensive, etc. And like others are saying, if people have a problem using $15 / 12.99 EUR monthly on a game they have access to 24/7, then perhaps, they have some other issues they should look into fixing. Yet, at the same time, they have no issues going out, dumping a bunch of cash on a one time movie night with popcorn, etc.

People say that it's expensive, but they don't say they "can't" pay it. Those two statements are incredibly different.

It's really just a value judgment at that point. Many people feel like sub games are overpriced because there are free options that are as good or better than P2P options to them. P2P games just aren't that good to them. What is left anyway? WoW, EVE or Darkfall? If they don't like those games and enjoy MMORPGs, then it would make sense that they would think those games are overpriced. 

Another thing I should mention is that you don't have any clue what people are spending their money on outside of gaming. You can pretend to know based on your own rampant spending on random entertainment, but there are a lot of people that actually respect their money and take care when deciding what to spend it on.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Subscription only option is becoming thing of the past but i think subscription paired with F2P option if done right is best option for now. But for anyone praises cash shops deserves to be hanged seriously. Also i think free expansions even if it's small monthly updates should be the future. People don't seem to mind paying but if company can offer better balance of free and cost then it is step foward. We all love free game but lets return to reality it costs money to run these servers and workers pure and simple.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I've been on this forum for years I've never once seen someone say that. More often than not it's about the products available are not worth the monthly sub ( that's almost always the reason), many feel no MMO is worth a monthly fee.

Personally I find the subject rather boring to discuss, so I rarely take part. I couldn't care less how companies make their money as long as I like the game (if not I play something else).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Giving away free shit doesn't pay the game companies bills.  They have to make money.  So, they come up with this play on words of Free to Play.  Which is BS.  What is should be called is, Free to Play for Some because there are other people paying the truely Free to Play people's tickets.  Just like real life......  Nothing is FREE.

People say that it's expensive, but they don't say they "can't" pay it. Those two statements are incredibly different.

It's really just a value judgment at that point. Many people feel like sub games are overpriced because there are free options that are as good or better than P2P options to them. P2P games just aren't that good to them. What is left anyway? WoW, EVE or Darkfall? If they don't like those games and enjoy MMORPGs, then it would make sense that they would think those games are overpriced. 

Another thing I should mention is that you don't have any clue what people are spending their money on outside of gaming. You can pretend to know based on your own rampant spending on random entertainment, but there are a lot of people that actually respect their money and take care when deciding what to spend it on.

That is certainly true, I give there. They are different statements, but they are still connected somewhat I feel. And there are a lot of people still, who do outright feel they can't pay it, and that's fair enough.

Naturally again, yes, I should not assume to know what people are using their money on, and it was not an attempt to do so, more than it was an example of what "some" people do. I have no issues going to a movie, or paying subscription fees for MMOs. Some people do, and that's it. It's fine. Always people on each side of the fence. And lets face it... While there are many who DO take care of their money and respect it, a lot of people do not. So I can pretty much argue in the exact opposite direction as you are, and we're still in the same place. Fact is, there's people who do both.

My opinion still stands, that if it's troublesome to pay $15 monthly on a game, then maybe you shouldn't be playing that game at all, and instead find something else to do, or fix that monetary situation.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I feel for you, man. It's obvious that you were trying really hard there, so it was so disheartening to see how badly you missed the mark at either being humorous or making a relevant point.

Dude, my heart goes out to you. You did put in the effort, though, and that's what counts. image

sarcasm never was about being relevant dude. thx for your backing tho :>

image Cheers to a fellow with a good sense of humor. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    There are plenty of garbage f2p games out there for you, leave the few games with subs alone.

That is certainly true, I give there. They are different statements, but they are still connected somewhat I feel. And there are a lot of people still, who do outright feel they can't pay it, and that's fair enough.

Naturally again, yes, I should not assume to know what people are using their money on, and it was not an attempt to do so, more than it was an example of what "some" people do. I have no issues going to a movie, or paying subscription fees for MMOs. Some people do, and that's it. It's fine. Always people on each side of the fence. And lets face it... While there are many who DO take care of their money and respect it, a lot of people do not. So I can pretty much argue in the exact opposite direction as you are, and we're still in the same place. Fact is, there's people who do both.

My opinion still stands, that if it's troublesome to pay $15 monthly on a game, then maybe you shouldn't be playing that game at all, and instead find something else to do, or fix that monetary situation.

You can't argue in the opposite direction because I am not claiming to understand how randoms spend their money. You can make up numbers and figures and say vague things like "a lot" and "plenty" or whatever, but you are working with what you think you know rather than what you know. Or are you simply claiming that some people are responsible with their money and some people aren't? Because while I can agree with that, it's extremely obvious and I'm not sure why it would need to be said.

But I agree that if any type of entertainment, be it games or movies or go-cart racing, is making you struggle to pay rent you should do something else. It's just so obvious to me that I didn't think it needed to be said. The problem with your opinion is that people aren't claiming they can't afford a sub. You'll notice that no one was quoted by the poster that made the claim that people can't afford it. If you are seeing these posts all the time, please link one. What they are saying is that they are not worth it.

Some people don't find that games are worth a sub. There are a lot of great options out there that don't require a sub. If someone finds more value in those other games, then the sub is too expensive to them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Nitth

Perhaps because you created a cryptic, and somewhat deceptive thread title?

No. People don't understand, because they only read the title, then skim the text. His post was easily understood, and it was easily seen that it was a quote he posted. That is, if you actually read the post. :P

For me, at least, it was certainly unclear whether the OP was bothered by the situation the poster described or the poster's issue with the situation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

You can't argue in the opposite direction because I am not claiming to understand how randoms spend their money. You can make up numbers and figures and say vague things like "a lot" and "plenty" or whatever, but you are working with what you think you know rather than what you know. Or are you simply claiming that some people are responsible with their money and some people aren't? Because while I can agree with that, it's extremely obvious and I'm not sure why it would need to be said.

But I agree that if any type of entertainment, be it games or movies or go-cart racing, is making you struggle to pay rent you should do something else. It's just so obvious to me that I didn't think it needed to be said. The problem with your opinion is that people aren't claiming they can't afford a sub. You'll notice that no one was quoted by the poster that made the claim that people can't afford it. If you are seeing these posts all the time, please link one. What they are saying is that they are not worth it.

Some people don't find that games are worth a sub. There are a lot of great options out there that don't require a sub. If someone finds more value in those other games, then the sub is too expensive to them.

Different people buy different things. That's just how it is. I don't know what each individual uses his/her money on, and I don't care. It differs from everyone.
    And in a debate, I'd argue that everything needs to be said around a subject, because if it doesn't, misunderstandings or misinterpretations happen so easily, especially via text based communication.

I admit fully that I exaggerrated with the amount of people who cannot afford a sub fee, and naturally I apologize for that. I got caught up in it, simply. But I fully believe they do exist, and of course, F2P games are an okay alternative for them. My gripe is when they begin to complain and whine, about sub based MMO's. If those games are not worth it, then what's the deal? Why trumpet F2P and act like subfees are the devil? oO

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Uhhhh, up to the point where you wrote this post, exactly one person misinterpreted your quoted text as your own words.  Everyone else was criticizing YOU for your hyperbolic response to the text you quoted.  Just to be crystal clear, so far, more people have responded in favor of the text you quoted (anti-subscription) than to you (f2p induced nausea syndrome.)  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    While i feel subscription should have a place (not screwing over the hardcore), I also feel embracing f2p is needed. Ideally a freemium game would work good for this, minimizing goods purchasable in the cash shop so paying subscribers don't need to be forking over a bunch of extra money to get the same experience they would of in the past.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I read this post on another forum...and quite literally wanted to vomit.

The Deal Breaker
    This is a message mostly towards the devs, but also a statement for my fellow gamers. I've seen bits of Darkfall for quite a few years now. I originally lost interest during my highschool years when everything else in life bogged down on me. Seeing it on steam, I was excited and even pondering whether or not to purchase it like I always wanted to. Then I saw the business model...

That death sentence for any mmo in 2013; $15 a month. Can you even fathom how utterly dissapointed I was? I've seen gameplay videos of this game; they look interesting! Fun! Good! I really, REALLY wanted to play this game soooo badly. $40? Sure! I don't mind paying a good lump of cash for an mmo. Pay once to play forever mmos are by far my favorite; unfortunately that wasn't the case here.

I still considered buying the game for awhile, but eventually came to the conclusion that in doing so, I was making a statement not just to the devs of this game, but all devs for any mmo, that subscription fees are acceptable. They're not. Cash shops; expansion packs; things like that are more than welcomed. But blatant subscription fees are a thing of the past. An ugly archaic practice that can not compete with other business practices these days. Something I have to vote 'no' at with my wallet :/

It's the deal breaker for me, and I'm sorry to see it happen to what looked like a really good game. I hope those of you playing this game are enjoying it thoroughly for that extra $15 a month. As for the rest of you considering whether or not to purchase this game, take into consideration what paying may mean for the rest of the gaming community. What will those added votes, your payments, do to influence the industry later on? Are you alright with the return of the subscription era? Do you wan't to motivate developers and publishers to find compromise in better business models that don't tax players? Think long and hard about this before you hit that 'purchase' button.

Best of wishes.

Your thoughts?

This is new?  He sounds just like every gw2 fanatic that raved about how the gw2 b2p model was so innovative and would save us all form the horrible shackles of subscriptions.

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204

Reading this thread made me pee on my screen.  What do I win?

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Ok, then put it another way. If they're saying $15/month is EXPENSIVE, then they still have issues, because it's NOT EXPENSIVE!

Originally posted by Ghavrigg

Ok, then put it another way. If they're saying $15/month is EXPENSIVE, then they still have issues, because it's NOT EXPENSIVE!

It is if you think the games that are P2P are worse than the games that are F2P.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Homitu

Uhhhh, up to the point where you wrote this post, exactly one person misinterpreted your quoted text as your own words.  Everyone else was criticizing YOU for your hyperbolic response to the text you quoted.  Just to be crystal clear, so far, more people have responded in favor of the text you quoted (anti-subscription) than to you (f2p induced nausea syndrome.)  

To be honest, it was blatantly obvious that the guy was talking about the person he quoted talking about how P2P is dead today, and how $15 a month is too expensive and every MMO should be F2P. More than one person didn't understand what he was objecting to, and only the one person thought the OP actually wrote it. 

His post here wasn't directed only to the person who thought he wrote what was quoted.