Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried to get back...i just can't..

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Having my account enabled this weekend by Trion, i went back into Rift to see how things are coming along and to spend some -hopefully quality- time with my old chars.

Playing for about 30minutes, all that came back to me was the old feeling about the game that made me quit in first place. I like the defiler so far and heard that my once beloved Chloro also is in good condition these days...but the game is just too bland and again i felt why it never really succeeded.

Animations, world design, some spell effects, sounds..i don't know, i just can't find anything that fits my taste, immerses me and drags me into it. The whole game is just so hopelessly awkward in general. The zone design is plain bad, i find nothing that even remotely compares to say Ashenvale or the many borderline legendary zones in EQ2, let alone locations with character like The Blackrock and similar places.

The overall zone/world design in Rift pays a high toll to invasions and rifts, as there are too many open spaces and gaps in order to leave room for invading NPCs who would otherwise probably suffer on bad pathfinding. On the other hand, the engine has huge problems with rendering objects and clutter on screen, thats probably another obstacle in world design.

Too bad, with F2P soon to come i was hoping that Rift would be a nice title for an every now and then kick.

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I actually started Rift several weeks ago.  It's a solid game but i just couldn't find myself logging in anymore.

Cons

• Character Models: They all look so poorly done, no matter which race is chosen.  The facial features show them as battle-worn people with downs.
    • Combat:  This is my major complaint.  It's just too slow, even as playing a caster class.  Even WoW's & Swtor's combat seems faster, especially with animations, which is my next con.
    • Animations: These are also poorly done.  They feel awkward and don't connect with my controls.
    • Sounds: The sound effects are bad.  They seem amateurish and poorly done.
    • Fonts:  The in-game fonts for chat and nameplates are blurry.  I'm surprised this was let through.

Pros

• Soul System:  This is amazing and every MMO should take the good from it.
    • Dungeons:  These are actually done really well, but i've only tried the first four.
    • Dimensions:  These are really cool, but i haven't gotten high enough level to realize it's full potential.
    • Classes:  I love how every class can either tank, heal, dps, or be support.  More MMOs should have a support role in my opinion.
    • Story experience:  This was surprisingly good while leveling.  Everything was connected with history and lore.  I just didn't like the lore though, but i won't hold it against Rift since it's actually told pretty good.
    I didn't comment on PvP or Raids because i haven't experienced them enough.
    I wasn't even going to write a pro/con list about Rift, but i guess i just did a mini one in this thread. lol.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Yea I tried to come back as well. 5 hours later and about half of the way through level 50 I threw in the towel. The questing in SL is just as bland as I remember, and dungeons / IA get horrible xp at that level. I'm sure I would enjoy the end / raid game, but with other games coming out soon I just don't have the will to quest grind to get there.
  • perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    So the game is just not for you anymore. That's fine, personally I love it. So much to do and see. With F2P around the corner you'll be hard pressed to find a better MMO that cost $0.00 to play. For the love of god please don't say Tera unless PVP is your deal cause PVE endgame is nonexistent. You can only do so many BAMS before it gets old as hell.
  • Temp1234Temp1234 Member UncommonPosts: 47
          Rift has some awesome content, too bad it runs and looks like shit.  The art style i think is this games biggest downfall, the   world is so dull and drab looking....makes you wanna /wrist  after awhile :P  
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Storm Legion is much better than original RIFT in all aspects. Especially in graphics design. All new areas and npc's are way better than the old ones. everything is better esthetically. they have given much more attention to game graphics design than in vanilla RIFT.

I think in general that Storm Legion is indeed one of the best expansions launched by any mmo the last couple of years

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wait what? Zone design bad? What game are you playing? lol. Animations are lacking I can agree and some of the areas, but not sure where you get a lot of what you dislike graphically. It sounds like you are wanting a more enclosed area of play which is odd, most people want a more open world feel not enclosed?

Eh none the less I guess we all have our tastes. I just find a few of your points just very weird, abnormal even at times. Then again, maybe some people just like enclosed and very linear zones, in which case Rift doesn't really do that all that much, often making areas more open a lot of times.

• Temp1234Temp1234 Member UncommonPosts: 47

No...whats weird and abnormal is you twisting my words, making up random stuff on the spot to suite your views. As i said, its the art style/ animation that kills everything in the game for many, you rarely see any negative comments on rift about content.

Art style/ Aesthetics has nothing to do with zone design and how big the zones are, not sure where you got the notion i wanted a more "enclosed" experience. If  you like the game and feel the need to defend it, emphasizing its strong points would work better.  i.e : Using rifts content and updates as an example or even its "open world".  -_-'

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

I recently tried to start Rift again too, via the Raptr promotion. I've gotten to level 37 now on my mage, and I'm pretty tired of it already :/ I can't deal with the ultra slow combat, somewhat poor animation and as a whole, it just feels like the game is poorly optimized. Even SWTOR runs better, and that game was a mess. For me at least!

But I do love all the different souls! :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Manolios

Storm Legion is much better than original RIFT in all aspects. Especially in graphics design. All new areas and npc's are way better than the old ones. everything is better esthetically. they have given much more attention to game graphics design than in vanilla RIFT.

I think in general that Storm Legion is indeed one of the best expansions launched by any mmo the last couple of years

QFT

I love storm legion.  It's like the only expansion except for moria in lotro, shrouded isles and darkness falls in daoc, and the ffxi expansions that I didn't absolutely hate.  I can't count how many games I've quit because of an expansion.  Trion did a great job with Storm Legion.  Although I've been playing since beta, and I guess you could consider me a fan boy, I have to say leveling up another character is pretty much out of the question.  I got 7 level 60s, but I do play them all alot.  I agree the questing is kinda meh outside of storm legion, but that's what happens when you've done something a hundred times (I got numerous characters not capped hehe).

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Volgore

The zone design is plain bad, i find nothing that even remotely compares to say Ashenvale or the many borderline legendary zones in EQ2, let alone locations with character like The Blackrock and similar places.

Rift does have on exceptional zone:  Ember Isle

Which sadly is lost in the shuffle now because its a zone meant for level 50s, but the rewards are so much better in the starter sl zones.

SL isnt terrible but its a major step down from EI.  I just dont think a lot of the SL zones are fleshed out enough.  Its like they got halfway done and said "times up, lets implement lame conquest kill tasks instead of content!"

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    if they remove the progression rank requiremenet to access dimensions i would play it just to gather items for my dimensions, other than that rift is well rift

so say we all

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I loved the game back in closed BETA, bought the game, then I don't think made it through my first free 30 days.  I don't know what it was, but something just went BLEH all of a sudden in the game for me.  I Recently went back for 2 seconds with that RPTR SCAM and I can say, I still don't care about the game.

On the other hand, for some reason, I am freakin' LOVING the new Romulan expansion for STO.  "FIRE EVERYTHING!"  Damn the new movie was good too.  OH, sorry to wander off topic.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Volgore

Having my account enabled this weekend by Trion, i went back into Rift to see how things are coming along and to spend some -hopefully quality- time with my old chars.

Playing for about 30minutes, all that came back to me was the old feeling about the game that made me quit in first place. I like the defiler so far and heard that my once beloved Chloro also is in good condition these days...but the game is just too bland and again i felt why it never really succeeded.

Animations, world design, some spell effects, sounds..i don't know, i just can't find anything that fits my taste, immerses me and drags me into it. The whole game is just so hopelessly awkward in general. The zone design is plain bad, i find nothing that even remotely compares to say Ashenvale or the many borderline legendary zones in EQ2, let alone locations with character like The Blackrock and similar places.

The overall zone/world design in Rift pays a high toll to invasions and rifts, as there are too many open spaces and gaps in order to leave room for invading NPCs who would otherwise probably suffer on bad pathfinding. On the other hand, the engine has huge problems with rendering objects and clutter on screen, thats probably another obstacle in world design.

Too bad, with F2P soon to come i was hoping that Rift would be a nice title for an every now and then kick.

I've been back, happily, for several days now. I'm sorry you couldn't get back into it though, but can understand.  None of the zones in this game resemble anything remotely relating to the two games you mentioned, aside from Shimmersand.  The Storm Legion zones are actually pretty awesome to me.  They give me a sci-fi/fantasy feel and i have enjoyed them immensely.  The Harbinger/Chloro combination on the mage has really invigorated my playing as well as the Riftblade/Tempest combo with the warrior.  I hate that the game didn't appeal to you though, however it seems that there are many like me out out there as well, in the game.  I hope you find something that satisfies that itch soon :)

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Why would anyone who enjoys the game feel the need to "defend" it here? I don't even understand the need of the OP's post. If you don't like a game that is cool and good luck finding a game that is a better fit for you. I don't understand the need to come to this site's forum and post something like I played this game and didn't like it. 
  • EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Zeddakis
    Why would anyone who enjoys the game feel the need to "defend" it here? I don't even understand the need of the OP's post. If you don't like a game that is cool and good luck finding a game that is a better fit for you. I don't understand the need to come to this site's forum and post something like I played this game and didn't like it. 

Probably for the same reason you felt the need to post that you didn't understand the need of the OP to post.  Life's funny, no?

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by Eunuchmaker

Probably for the same reason you felt the need to post that you didn't understand the need of the OP to post.  Life's funny, no?

I'd say something but then the vicious circle will continue to suck us both in. :)

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Eunuchmaker

I'd say something but then the vicious circle will continue to suck us both in. :)

LOL--yeah, I wanted to start a little something on the forums, boring day for me . . . what can I say, I'm weak.  Take care buddy.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by observer

I actually started Rift several weeks ago.  It's a solid game but i just couldn't find myself logging in anymore.

Cons

• Character Models: They all look so poorly done, no matter which race is chosen.  The facial features show them as battle-worn people with downs.
    • Combat:  This is my major complaint.  It's just too slow, even as playing a caster class.  Even WoW's & Swtor's combat seems faster, especially with animations, which is my next con.
    • Animations: These are also poorly done.  They feel awkward and don't connect with my controls.
    • Sounds: The sound effects are bad.  They seem amateurish and poorly done.
    • Fonts:  The in-game fonts for chat and nameplates are blurry.  I'm surprised this was let through.

Pros

• Soul System:  This is amazing and every MMO should take the good from it.
      • Dungeons:  These are actually done really well, but i've only tried the first four.
      • Dimensions:  These are really cool, but i haven't gotten high enough level to realize it's full potential.
      • Classes:  I love how every class can either tank, heal, dps, or be support.  More MMOs should have a support role in my opinion.
      • Story experience:  This was surprisingly good while leveling.  Everything was connected with history and lore.  I just didn't like the lore though, but i won't hold it against Rift since it's actually told pretty goo
    • ~
    • d.
    I didn't comment on PvP or Raids because i haven't experienced them enough.
    I wasn't even going to write a pro/con list about Rift, but i guess i just did a mini one in this thread. lol.

Cons ...

1. I found that it is hard to actually see the characters or monsters that Im fighting because of the health bars being

in the way and numbers damages etc ,  I know it can be turned off but I turning off health bars so I have to

look at top left hand corner all the time is even more annoying .

2. Yeah combat is definitely not fast paced like Diablo . Also the monsters are usually spread out so its always 1 or 2

at a time usually . Remember in EQ where you would pull 5-10 mobs at once ?  I want to feel like my character is a god ,

so I want to beable to kill 5-10 at once , not single pulls .

3. Some of the monsters in SL are huge! this is awesome  they need to have more of that . Maybe have 1 huge monster and a lot of little ones around them in ,

4. Some of the animations for 2h sword swings on my warrior feel wrong . Its like I do the attack ( especially the instant attacks ) but no swing .

5. Voice acting is bad

PROS

1. Grouping is fun in the 5 man dungeons especially .

2. Items are good, and lots of crafting options

3. Soul trees are amazing

4. Lots of currency sinks

5. Quests are good , some quite creative quests like turn into a rat to eat cables etc 

6. Loads of hotbar abilities, its confusing almost but this adds skill and depth to the game .

• 8madhatter88madhatter8 Member Posts: 15
    I feel like most of the peopel complaining about graphics and "bad zones" are people who've never played a game on medium settings or above. Rift looks pretty damn nice on ultra, don't know if any of you kids have ever had a decent computer...