Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Cash Shop

Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Wow... I mean just wow..

The cash shop is so full of weapons, armor, mounts, and pretty much everything. My guild defends it saying it isn't top raid gear... but who cares. I am so tired of watching games I love go F2P or shut down. I hate cash shops, and this one just takes the cake. They even sell bags! A top end bag goes for 4000P or roughly $20!!!

http://flic.kr/ps/PGTuU - Flickr box with the screen captures.

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy

Wow... I mean just wow..

A top end bag goes for 4000P or roughly $20!!!

That is sad I was hoping they would not go crazy with the prices

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Equivalent bags are readily available from other players in the auction house. This isn't an asian game where the only way to get more bag space is to pay cash for it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Equivalent bags are readily available from other players in the auction house. This isn't an asian game where the only way to get more bag space is to pay cash for it.

Does it matter.... you can buy the currency for the shop from other players too. Doesn't change the fact that they are doing it.

I am so tired of Free 2 Play games and cash shops, that I am writing off the 11 months left on my year sub, because they will not refund it.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

I have two major problems with the Rift model:

1.  they are selling endgame gear.  Most people dont raid, so expert dungeon gear is endgame gear to most players, and Trion knows it.  they are selling exactly what they can get away with and still be able to defend against p2w accusations.  None of the other conversions crossed this line, and rift leaped right over over it without breaking a sweat.

2.  They arent giving subscribers a stipend.   Stipends are good for people that prefer the sub model and usually are enough to compensate for the extra work put into f2p fluff that could have gone into content, since yu can get some of that fluff for free.  but of course Rift's f2p isnt centered around fluff

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    After Defiance and now this cash grab, looks like Trion has fallen very far as a studio. 
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

Wow... I mean just wow..

The cash shop is so full of weapons, armor, mounts, and pretty much everything. My guild defends it saying it isn't top raid gear... but who cares. I am so tired of watching games I love go F2P or shut down. I hate cash shops, and this one just takes the cake. They even sell bags! A top end bag goes for 4000P or roughly $20!!!

Thank god, i almost DL this game again. I had enough of F2p games I will never play another I would rather go back to wow, hybrid i am willing to do because I would always pick sub but yeah burn in hell F2P.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    After Defiance and now this cash grab, looks like Trion has fallen very far as a studio. 

Yup. I have totally written off TRION as studio. At least People now know what to expect from Archage.

Guess People are less happy now, seeing what has become from TRION.

It's like their HQ has been raided by a hostile Asian F2P Company take over. Like PWE or something.  /shrug

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

Wow... I mean just wow..

I heard its 2nd rated gear, but still that really sucks. My reason to totally trashed Rift. Dont even care if its F2P. No thank you. aint wasting my time.

They aren't selling you 2nd rated gear. They are selling you the 1st rated pre-raid gear. And like an earlier poster mentioned above, most players aren't in guilds that are raiding regularly, and Trion knows it. 

They didn't have to include any gear in the shop to make money off of it. 

Besides, I can't be the only person who sees what's going to happen. A flood of free players are going to join, rush to 60, and gear up via the shop. Experts in RIFT are and always have been a joke since they nerfed them at launch, but since RIFT's soul system is relatively deep, there's a much steeper "learn your class/role" curve than other titles. 

You'll have a bunch of people who rushed to the end game, geared up through the shop, and never learned to properly play the class; which specs are relevant to which scenarios, how to manipulate passive soul benefits, etc. and then Trion will either nerf the living hell out of the raid content or make raid gear available via cash to hush the whiners. Trust me, that boost that increases the currency drops from dungeons WILL make it to the raids within 6 months of the F2P conversion.

As much as a RIFT and Trion fanboy I've been since beta, I won't be making a return.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

As much as a RIFT and Trion fanboy I've been since beta, I won't be making a return.

I've just now cancelled my sub to Rift. It's all I can do.

I think it's all you really can do is speak with your money.

I think some people are going to scream that people of a similar state of mind and opinion as us are over-reacting. And that might be the case, but I had put a lot of faith into Trion over the last years. They have been continually praised for their dedication, hard-work, and most of all, interaction and dedication to the community.

I can't help but feel alienated as a community member to the changes of the game. And the feeling of being alienated isn't enjoyable, and I usually don't stick around people or companies that make me feel that way. 

I had two personal accounts, both lifetime subscribed, and my wife had one, as well. We both feel it's time for us to step away and not look back. 

I guess faith is gone, that's all.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

well that saves me another ludicrously large download. shame, I was looking forward to checking out this game again.

lets hope they don't butcher archeage like this.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Grunty

Does it matter.... you can buy the currency for the shop from other players too. Doesn't change the fact that they are doing it.

I am so tired of Free 2 Play games and cash shops, that I am writing off the 11 months left on my year sub, because they will not refund it.

Have you asked? Because I know for a fact that some members of my guild have received refunds on their year sub without any problems at all.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Yup. I have totally written off TRION as studio. At least People now know what to expect from Archage.

It's like their HQ has been raided by a hostile Asian F2P Company take over. Like PWE or something.  /shrug

Absolutely not interested in ArcheAge now. If TESO and Wildstar are like this as well, I'm done with mmorpgs.

It is really weird actually though. How can a company make this many mistakes in a row. They started out awesome, releasing an amazingly polished game that had consistant updates throughout its life that were incredibly large, and had one of the biggest expansions in an MMO, then released more content right after that. Then came defiance, which honestly wasn't THAT bad, but it was a cash grab based on how buggy and not polished it was when it came out, it showed what Trion started to focus on. Then they announced F2P Rift which made sense, it wasn't really flourishing it was just kind of a stagnant population and they wanted to bring more people in. They promised no pay to win and then they decided to put all kinds of gear in the cash shop? What the hell were they thinking. It just makes no sense that a company that great started making these really poor decisions. Did someone take it over or something? I didn't see any buyouts or any changes in the CEO or anyone that would have a big say in anything like this. It's like they went from being a gamers company to being EA.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I don't even know what to say to someone of the posts in this thread. No hope for humanity.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Take care Trion!  Our paths won't ever cross again..  I'm heading back to the store to return a boxed ed I just bought.  I read this post right before I unwrapped it.  Thank you OP!!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

im glad you guys are here on this site finally seeing Trion for what they are and this free to play . Now also keep in mind they nerfed all marks with this expansion dropping from heroic bosses so grind is WAY worse than 1.0 ever was . On top of that the only way to get extra marks from dailies is to either A buy the sub for a month and get a boost to tokens or B buy the gear from the cash shop because once anyone gears up past heroics there is no point at all in doing them like raid geared toons used to do in 1.0.

This game isnt going to crash and burn because there is a lot of players who prefer to spend money instead of earning things out there otherwise these studios wouldn't be doing this to begin with. But I honestly do not see much of a future for this game other than a cheap thrill ride for the average player playing a month and leaving when you can buy your way to raids. Also with this patch , they still are so damn clueless and are not even trying to address the MYRIAD of issues that caused so many players to leave the game and not come back. I honestly think Trion just gave up on the game and are more or less focused on pushing out as much revenue as fast as possible. The new zones been in the works for months , trion said that even before layoffs so even fans cant use this content patch as an excuse to say trion is still pushing out content because other than the new zone and couple of raids they been working on for months its all 100% store.

Also good luck saying a word of complaining on their official forums , that place is a pure shit pool of venom by the most rabid fans ive ever seen in my life. Even if you try to be constructive all you ever get back is go back to wow and bashing. I personally hope this game flops hardcore as others have said in here so maybe game companies learn a lesson about these sorry cash shops that sell gear and I win items for lazy players who don't want to earn anything.

Originally posted by Panther2103

Absolutely not interested in ArcheAge now. If TESO and Wildstar are like this as well, I'm done with mmorpgs.

It is really weird actually though. How can a company make this many mistakes in a row. They started out awesome, releasing an amazingly polished game that had consistant updates throughout its life that were incredibly large, and had one of the biggest expansions in an MMO, then released more content right after that. Then came defiance, which honestly wasn't THAT bad, but it was a cash grab based on how buggy and not polished it was when it came out, it showed what Trion started to focus on. Then they announced F2P Rift which made sense, it wasn't really flourishing it was just kind of a stagnant population and they wanted to bring more people in. They promised no pay to win and then they decided to put all kinds of gear in the cash shop? What the hell were they thinking. It just makes no sense that a company that great started making these really poor decisions. Did someone take it over or something? I didn't see any buyouts or any changes in the CEO or anyone that would have a big say in anything like this. It's like they went from being a gamers company to being EA.

There actually was a CEO change and the f2p model is rumored to be the reason, although he denies it. Honestly, though, I don't think most remaining rift players care what is in the cash shop. The people I play with just like to play rift. It never has been WoW, where people would stroll around with amazing looking gear that took them months to earn while a trail of people followed saying, "where did you get that?" So, yeah, a lot of hard-core raiders will be leaving but there weren't enough of them to keep the game alive anyway.

Even with the low to medium population on my shard the end-game zone events were always well-populated at any time of day. These are not hard-core, or even all that hard. Nobody in these groups care who has what gear and you could play them in greens at level 58. But people play them all the time because they are darn fun. This is what Rift is about, not about hard-core raiding and cool gear.

Currently on xfire (yeah, I know, it doesn't actually mean much) rift is ranked 33 with 1300 hours and it isn't even open to the f2p market yet! Three weeks ago it was hovering at around 400 hours per day. So while it remains to be seen if these decisions are actually good or bad, at the moment things are looking pretty good.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by iamflymolo
    Originally posted by Panther2103

There actually was a CEO change and the f2p model is rumored to be the reason, although he denies it. Honestly, though, I don't think most remaining rift players care what is in the cash shop. The people I play with just like to play rift. It never has been WoW, where people would stroll around with amazing looking gear that took them months to earn while a trail of people followed saying, "where did you get that?" So, yeah, a lot of hard-core raiders will be leaving but there weren't enough of them to keep the game alive anyway.

Even with the low to medium population on my shard the end-game zone events were always well-populated at any time of day. These are not hard-core, or even all that hard. Nobody in these groups care who has what gear and you could play them in greens at level 58. But people play them all the time because they are darn fun. This is what Rift is about, not about hard-core raiding and cool gear.

Currently on xfire (yeah, I know, it doesn't actually mean much) rift is ranked 33 with 1300 hours and it isn't even open to the f2p market yet! Three weeks ago it was hovering at around 400 hours per day. So while it remains to be seen if these decisions are actually good or bad, at the moment things are looking pretty good.

i know you mean well with what you are saying but lets be honest the reason people are flooding the servers is because of the double rapt promotion thats been up for about a month and just got tons of new keys last week. I was just playing rift up until about a week ago and everyone coming to shatterbone and faeblight are return players getting their free storm legion souls from the expansion from raptr or brand new players get both and 30 days for free. Rift while it will do better with larger amounts of traffic from plenty of burned out mmo players surfing games , this cash shop DID piss off more players than what you are letting on (though it might just be your servers observation) There is pay to win threads on the official forums getting locked all the time over this crap. Also Im not sure when you joined rift but rift has ALWAYS been a raiding game. That at its core is the absolutely only thing to do is run experts events and raids or conquest if you are a pvp fan with some warfronts. They designed the entire game from the ground up with wow and warhammer in mind so im not quite sure how you say people dont play rift to raid. Just go to each servers official forum and see all the progression threads to see for yourself.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I was actually talking about this in chat last week.  People in the game were saying i was wrong and that it wasn't p2w, because it's only gear that no one will use anyway.  They tried to say that it will be used for cosmetic clothing only.  I explained that people will still have an advantage though, but i was just ridiculed.

All this will do is just promote bad gameplay from people.  It's no different than buying a pre-made character from gold selling websites.

Originally posted by cronius77

i know you mean well with what you are saying but lets be honest the reason people are flooding the servers is because of the double rapt promotion thats been up for about a month and just got tons of new keys last week. I was just playing rift up until about a week ago and everyone coming to shatterbone and faeblight are return players getting their free storm legion souls from the expansion from raptr or brand new players get both and 30 days for free. Rift while it will do better with larger amounts of traffic from plenty of burned out mmo players surfing games , this cash shop DID piss off more players than what you are letting on (though it might just be your servers observation) There is pay to win threads on the official forums getting locked all the time over this crap. Also Im not sure when you joined rift but rift has ALWAYS been a raiding game. That at its core is the absolutely only thing to do is run experts events and raids or conquest if you are a pvp fan with some warfronts. They designed the entire game from the ground up with wow and warhammer in mind so im not quite sure how you say people dont play rift to raid. Just go to each servers official forum and see all the progression threads to see for yourself.

I actually joined Rift in beta. I suppose our perspectives are a bit skewed by who we hang out with in game. My guild has a group that does progression raiding but they are not hard core. More people in the guild just hang out and do stuff together like 5 mans, raid rifts, zone events, and sometimes crafting rift runs. Looking at the official forums, the thread and post count in the Dungeons & Raids section, while significant, are dwarfed by General, Classes, and PVP and have a thread count that is right on par with Adventures. Just looking at my shard, there are plenty of recruiting threads which might actually imply a shortage of raiders, and the last thread about progression aside from the one that's stickied was last posted on in March.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

So whats the gold price in those screens? There's a gold price next to the store currency prices on the gear and bags.... I haven't tried it yet but....

If you can buy those items directly from that store with gold as well, I just don't see any room for complaint. Even 4000 plat for the best bag is fairly easy to collect at endgame.

Because the gear is no where near the best in the game.. I just see them as cosmetic skin purchases with stats as fluff. I've looked at the stats on those items on the PTS and they wouldn't replace any of the items on my main.. and I have never done a raid in Rift. If someone was running anything other than the first few (1-3) elite dungeons in that gear, they'd be shit. The 50 gear provides an immediate gear upgrade for heading into storm legion content and that is the only place someone gains an advantage. Not that they'll even need it. You can get decent gear for heading over to the SL content with daily PvP rewards as easy as anything and that only applies if you skipped a lot of the vanilla content. If you didn't skip content you won't need new gear for SL.

To me, it looks like absolutely everything, and I mean 'everything', in the store can be bought with ingame gold, another ingame currency or loyalty points instead of with real money. Some things can't be bought with real money, like the PvP items.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i did a lot of thinking on their release statement but i was tired so i needed a second day.

First thing i was confused on was the middle man Plat>REX>Credits.I soon realized the REX was simply an option to govern HOW MUCH,the regulatory middle man.

Then i wondered why the statement was directed at ANY player can use cash shop without spending real money.I thought no way that works financially ,so what's the gimmick.It didn't take me long the second day when i was wide awake to realize,they were setting up a possible cash shop that was o/ping.This way they have the backup excuse that anyone can still use it,even though they know how gamer's hate when cash shop is made too useful almost forcing you to use it.

Bags 4k plat,well that depends on how tough it is to get plat,i assume pretty tough or they would be giving out tons of REX.Even still bags are traditionally part of cash shops.However being there is NOTHING written in stone,even the REX  and credit values could be changed.

That is why i hate cash shop ideas,everything is left unknown,hidden costs.The whole EXCUSE behind cash shops were to allow players to play the way they wanted,except with hidden costs ,how is that possible?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Played this upto, but not including Storm Legion.

Quick question - with the ftp model will you still have to purchase the SL expac or will it be downloadable as part of the overall game?

Thanks in anticipation

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Played this upto, but not including Storm Legion.

Quick question - with the ftp model will you still have to purchase the SL expac or will it be downloadable as part of the overall game?

Thanks in anticipation

The SL content is free. The new souls aren't though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Wow... I mean just wow..

you could just not use it....its no different than any other that goes f2p.you know this company like many others will change it over a matter of time.you will get some good,some bad..but you are still left with choice.personally I don't care what they have in their shop...i'll never use it.unless they give me free REXor whatever its called.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Vannor

So whats the gold price in those screens? There's a gold price next to the store currency prices on the gear and bags.... I haven't tried it yet but....

If you can buy those items directly from that store with gold as well, I just don't see any room for complaint. Even 4000 plat for the best bag is fairly easy to collect at endgame.

Because the gear is no where near the best in the game.. I just see them as cosmetic skin purchases with stats as fluff. I've looked at the stats on those items on the PTS and they wouldn't replace any of the items on my main.. and I have never done a raid in Rift. If someone was running anything other than the first few (1-3) elite dungeons in that gear, they'd be shit. The 50 gear provides an immediate gear upgrade for heading into storm legion content and that is the only place someone gains an advantage. Not that they'll even need it. You can get decent gear for heading over to the SL content with daily PvP rewards as easy as anything and that only applies if you skipped a lot of the vanilla content. If you didn't skip content you won't need new gear for SL.

To me, it looks like absolutely everything, and I mean 'everything', in the store can be bought with ingame gold, another ingame currency or loyalty points instead of with real money. Some things can't be bought with real money, like the PvP items.

this

+1