Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMORPG’s Most Wanted MMOs of 2013

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

5. FFXIV

4. ArcheAge

3. EQ Next

2. The Repopulation

1. DayZ Standalone

Joined - July 2004

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    This is certainly a great year for MMOs. I would have to say Wildstar.... I can't wait to try it out. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I usually laugh at almost all the lists on MMORPG - but this one I actually agree with almost 100%.  I would switch the order of ESO and Wildstar but that's a pretty minimal difference in the interest of both of those.  So...... good list.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

1. EQ Next

2. Archeage

Only ones I have been watching, I do not pay too much attention "usually", until something is closer to being out.  Started with UO, then EQ, so of course I am interested in EQN.  I like a lot of the depth of Archeage, but I want to see what Trion is going to do with it.

I would prefer a sub system, myself, I just hope none of these are going to be p2w.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

All this fantasy... sword, axe, magic, chain-mail. Hasn't the industry play'd this out yet... I know, obviously not. I think you could look at this whole list and distil it down to just fantasy and Wildstar (while SciFi, still has a fantasy aspect). I’m seriously wondering what the difference between ESO and EQN will be though. Both seem like more of the same grind-fest with a different skin.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

FF:ARR - I have mixed feelings.  It looks decent visually, but I'm not sure about gameplay.  I see so many posts comparing it to WoW.  Shouldn't it play like Final Fantasy?  How does one get to the 14th game in a series and then screw up so badly?

ArcheAge - Just about completely off my radar.  I'd have more interest if it were a purist styled medieval fantasy sandbox.

ESO - This might be to my liking, even if I don't want TES to be MMO-ified.  Of anything, I might give it the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

WildStar - Sorry, but yawn.  Also I find the character art creepy, which does not draw me to want to play it.

EverQuest Next - SOE... not a chance that they'll get 5 cents out of me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Whether or not these games are on *my* radar, we can't deny that these are some of the most anticipated upcoming games in general.

That said, how the hell is EQNext number one?

First of all, we know exactly zero about the actual game. 

Second, I've seen no indication it will even be out in 2013.  Considering we know nothing about it, I'd say this is a safe assumption.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

All this fantasy... sword, axe, magic, chain-mail. Hasn't the industry play'd this out yet... I know, obviously not. I think you could look at this whole list and distil it down to just fantasy and Wildstar (while SciFi, still has a fantasy aspect). I’m seriously wondering what the difference between ESO and EQN will be though. Both seem like more of the same grind-fest with a different skin.

Interesting.  Care to explain specifically what aspects of EQN you think will be similar to ESO? 

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240
    lets hope 2014 has more to offer
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

There are only 2 on the list that I would even bother with.

(1)  Everquest Next

(2) The elder scrolls online

the rest I would never bother with.   Especaily Archage being made by trion no thank you. 

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489
    If this is what's coming this year, I'm sticking with Star Wars: The Old Republic, DC Universe Online, and Star Trek Online.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I agree with the list, just not the order. For me, it would be:

5. TESO

4. Archeage

3. Wildstar

2. FFXIV

1. EQ Next

<3

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    AA is good but needs to get rid of the cc fest combat and expand the ffa pvp zone by a lot

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Spaceweed10

Bill, SOE announced last year that they were 'going back to the drawing board' on some major systems in the game.

If EQn releases this year, I'll run round your office with my panties around my ankles.

they didnt actually start over last year, they just made it part of their hype management last year, to be sure everyone knew they aint doing EQ 2.5 - personally am very certain that you may as well order that ticket now. Since SOE often release their games even if not 100% done/stabil

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Can't really say that I agree with your nr.1: almost nothing is known about EQ next, so how can people know whether or not they want it for real?

You could pull franchise, but the same goes for at least 2 other games on that list :)

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

I can cut out number 1 - 4. 

FFXIV:ARR is the only MMO I am looking forward to playing

(Oh, I'll still take a look at 1-3, don't you worry)

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Everquest next ? did not even know it excisted.

The other 4 well they in the r on the list on the front page.

But everquest ? i can see the $$ flowing.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    I'd swap 4 and 5.

Truth. Right now I am only interested in EqNext because we know next to nothing about it. Some of the lead ins like Player Studio have me intrigued. I really wonder how they are going to handle the multitude of problems that kind of content creates.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Is Blarggggg any different from Blargggggggggggggggg. I'm interested to know. Anyways, the list is pretty much spot on for me.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Who said anything about EQnext coming out this year??? I'd like to see some official statements about this.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I honestly think, Bill, that if you try to write a review comparing FF XIV to ARR then you are making a mistake. It is best to approach the game as an entirely new MMORPG and play both the PS3 and PC versions of the game  and compare those instead. Yes, I know the original XIV is background, but it just gets boring to try to compare everything between two very different games. Remember ARR is SE's third MMORPG, so it has been a learning curve for them and they should be evaluated afresh with ARR. FInally, ARR is a big game, so it should be played for the month at least before delivering a review, and the reviewer should have progressed significantly through the game. 
  • ratbertalratbertal Member Posts: 1

Why the same MMOs come again and again, nothing about The Repopulation... Maybe you need to redefine MMO. 

Well I think The Repopulation doesn't pay enough to appears in a top 5.

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by BelegStrongbow
    I would replace Arche Age with Origins of Malu

Lol is that even a game? cant we please not expect random unknown crappy game to be in any list at all?

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    almost 7 years of nothing and then... so many impressive releases incoming...

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    If Smedley has learned from his many mistakes over the years, than EQN could be very interesting. His many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, mnay, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many mistakes - SWG, POTBS, Matrix Online, Vanguard etc to name but a few.