Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Is The Best Open World PvP System You Have Ever Experienced?

2»

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2 for me.image
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

PS2. The whole game is pvp open world, nothing else.

PvE and open world pvp don't mix well.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Lineage 2 for me.image

Lineage 1 > Lineage 2, the only thing L2 has better than L1 are graphics.

L1 makes 5-6 times more money than L2, even with L1 only on eastern market. Last quarter L1 made 66 million dollars while L2 did 14 million. Royalties are 6% of the profits.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Tarren Mill / Southshore was quite hot years back.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Prenho
    Lineage 2 for me.image

L1 makes 5-6 times more more than L2, even with L1 only on eastern market. Last quarter L1 made 66 million dollars while L2 did 14 mil. Royalties are 6% of the profits.

LOL, what does that have to do with the topic? I could care less about Lineage 1. Lineage 1 is shut down in USA. LMAO

Lineage 2 is my game and always will be. Level 96 Tyrr Doombringer always looking for action. Only the strong surviveimage

Lineage 2 for me.image

L1 makes 5-6 times more more than L2, even with L1 only on eastern market. Last quarter L1 made 66 million dollars while L2 did 14 mil. Royalties are 6% of the profits.

LOL, what does that have to do with the topic? I could care less about Lineage 1. Lineage 1 is shut down in USA. LMAO

Lineage 2 is my game and always will be. Level 96 Tyrr Doombringer always looking for action. Only the strong surviveimage

I played L1, I only went to L2 because L1 server were closed on western market. But I left L2 2 months later. I found L2 very boring compared to L1, unfortunately L1 was forgotten in west because it has very old graphics, but putting graphics aside, L1 is superior.

I hope Lineage Eternal brings the glory of Lineage 1, if LE does it, it will be my next MMO for the next 8-10 years. I expect LE developers don't mess with the game.

Lineage 2 for me.image

I played L1, I only went to L2 because L1 server were closed on western market. But I left L2 2 months later. I found L2 very boring compared to L1, unfortunately L1 was forgotten in west because it has very old graphics, but putting graphics aside, L1 is superior.

I hope Lineage Eternal brings the glory of Lineage 1, if LE does it, it will be my next MMO for the next 8-10 years. I epect LE developers don't mess with the game.

Ok?

Lineage 2 for me.image

I hope Lineage Eternal brings the glory of Lineage 1, if LE does it, it will be my next MMO for the next 8-10 years. I epect LE developers don't mess with the game.

Ok?

Yes, it is just my personal opinion, L2 is your first game, so it is normal to find the first game the best, so for a L1 player, L2 is just boring.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Ultima Online   
    Lineage 2 for me.image

Ok?

Yes, it is just my personal opinion, L2 is your first game, so it is normal to find the first game the best, so for a L1 player, L2 is just boring.

You starting to sound like that guy on the Star Wars The Old Republic forum that's so mad Star Wars Galaxies got shut down he trolls every thread with hate.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    SWG

• NikbeezyNikbeezy Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by kDeviL

Just as the title asks, Which game has the best Pk system you have ever experienced and why?   Not necessarily the most balanced or the best combat or the most fun pvp itself but rather the system in place allowing you to kill other players, the consequences of doing so and so on.

For me it was Conquer Online.

First of all you could kill absolutely anyone absolutely anywhere in the game, Including INSIDE any and all cities.  The one and only exception was a seperate zone called the market but other than that it was complete freedom like I've never seen. 

The Actual PK System Worked Like This: 

- Having 0-29 pk points keeps a player white named

- Attacking a white named or red named player makes your name blink for about 20 seconds  (no consequence)

- 30 Pk Points Makes a player red named (50% chance of dropping gear)

- 100 pk points makes a player black named (90% chance of dropping gear and imprisoned when killed until white named)

- Anyone can kill a blinking player name without increasing their own pk points.

- Killing a random player for no reason granted 10 pk pointes

- Killing a personal enemy (someone that killed you) granted 5 pk points

- Killing a guild enemy granted 3 Pk points (Every guild can have up to 5 enemy guilds)

- Killing a red or black named player granted 0 Pk points

- Pk points were reduced by 1 point every 6 minutes.

What This Did:

- Provided an only-matched-by-Eve Online sort of freedom in the game

- Even with all the freedom it prevented Higher levels from ganking lower levels because it would waste their pk points, each random they killed was an hour they had to wait of pkps to go back down.

- Made ENORMOUS guild and alliance battles happen EVERYWHERE in the world,  Killing or pissing off the wrong player of the wrong guild could land the entire guild's alliance killing you on sight,  if you were in a guild the guild could be enemied and also hunted down. Ofc that guild could and would have an alliance as well making these battles happen at tons of different locations when someone was killed.  Because of this I had some of the most fun pvp battles in conquer to date.

- Made getting rich off dropped gear easy by simply taunting people to go red on you, die, and drop their gear.  Or by sitting in certain cities where guild fights always tended to happen, then wait for some of them to go red and pick up the items when they dropped on the ground, Or by killing players that had to unequip their items to upgrade them etc.

- Provided a GREAT social standing for each player, You could be the guy everyone on the server knew, the guy everyone hated, the guy everyone loved, Mr. popularity, capture whore etc.. The world and the server size were really quite small, Everyone knew everyone in one way or another.  This was even more supported by other rare social features like a friend chat.

This game really had ALOT of features and other things that almost no other MMO has or ever will have because it wouldn't work the same way, However I really wonder why more games don't take some of the ones they can from the game because IMO it's really unmatched in a lot of ways...

That being said.. DO NOT!!! I repeat DO NOT play this game today,  When the game was released it was fantastic, had tons of players and around 30 servers in 1.0,  there were constant server splits because many of them would get too full.  As their success grew though, so too did their greed.  Today there are actually nearly 80 servers but many of them are somewhat empty, those that are still full are mostly egyptions, br's, and viets, very few people speak english on any of the servers.  On top of that it is by far the most Pay 2 win game in the history or MMOs,  Forget what you know about the word p2w because this blows it out of the water, No other game comes close.

That doesn't change what it used to be though, It doesn't change some of the awesome features or great PK system.  What was the best PvP system you've ever seen? What made it so much better than other games?

Hell yes. Said everything i would have said and more. If you think a game is pay 2 win, and you havent played conquer online, then you dont know anything. i agree that this is the best pk system out there as well. It forces people after so many kills to stay away from pking or risk dropping gear. Its a very balanced pk system.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Ultima Online

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75

Most certainly DaoC followed by Ultima Online.

Warhammer was quite good too.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

The Zek servers in EQ.

The combination of no leashes on mobs in a zone resulted in training between factions that were hilarious , throw in Fansy the Bard and it's the most overall entertainment ever in open world PVP setting.

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47

1. Shadowbane.

2. very early World of Warcraft

3. and early DCUO before the PVE grind and phasing took most of the world pvp'ers away. still pretty good now though. The combat system in DCUO is best i've ever played so I enjoy it for both pvp and pve.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Stimz
    SWG

Pre-CU.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The Zek servers in EQ were great fun, but there were level limits and on the team servers you could run into a healer from your own team healing the other teams and there was nothing you could do about it.

SWG had great PVP.  It was all open world, no where to hide (unless you ran into your house).  Two factions and there was temporary enemy flag if a neutral healed or buffed someone who was overt.  Plus it extended into space as well.  And it had the great Bounty Hunter system where the BH always got the first shot off.  Everything was great until super buffs squashed the PVP game.  Early on, you had battles where people did not really have great loot or buffs and it was anyone's game.

• ikthuzikthuz Member Posts: 2

My fiRst FFA experience was in Lineage 1 FFA servers. It was pretty fun and a great introduction to the genre.

But then I found the best pvp ffa game experience to date and it's really no contest----

Shadowbane!

The free-for-all no quests environment, the sheer number of races/classes, the player led politics, the city building, the nation building, the city/nation destroying, the full loot drop upon death, the degrading armor/weapons that would literally break , the resource nodes, the discipline stone drops, the pvp centric lore (heads and tails above the crap you see today (see Rift))  that gave reason and sense to the killing and even to the resurrecting, the actual ability to steal stuff from players backpacks, the ability to talk to everyone (trash talk rpk'ers and thieves), being able to use scout to search for would-be high lvl enemy killers, even the sense of paranoia that came knowing there's a real chance that today everything you've worked for months to establish could be gone forever all combined to create the greatest pvp ffa sandbox ever...way ahead of it's time.  Nothing comes close. 

Typical 20 min in shadowbane:

Just built my cool templar blademaster for the first time and needed my first blademaster sword--the Jenetai it was called.  My brother's guild was subbed to a nation and they had vendors that were rolling jenetai's.  I sent him the money and he went to what was supposed to be a safe vendor in his nations main city. I had searched some open city vendors but couldn't find any affordable and had gotten jumped by some stealthy rpk'ers that would work the open cities. So he purchased my sword and then opened his backpack only to see it disappear.  An interloper had somehow gotten past the guards in his city and,while stealthed, was able to peak in his backpack and grab the sword.  At the moment of the deed he un-stealthed as per the game mechanic and my brother watched him sprint away!  Pvp inducement!! I was angry but I couldn't get there as my brother gave chase. Unable to regain my sword, my brother took to trash talking the culprit that lead to some fun solo pvp and stuff.  The next day my brother was able to find the same player with his other toon, flirt and chat up the bum enough to induce him to donate to him the sword, some money, and then some.  Thing was these little personal skirmishes could end up leading to guild, city, or even server wars that had the potential to wipe entire guilds off the map.

How I miss loreplaying Temple of the Cleansing Flame classes! Templar blademaster coolest class in the game, even if it wasn't the smartest build if you wanted to win your fights.   Go find the lore, great reading!

Somebody remake this with today's technology,please!!!!

"PLAY TO CRUSH!" we used to say.  

• ikthuzikthuz Member Posts: 2

After Shadowbane started waning early Vanilla WoW pvp servers could be great fun.  

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
     ULTIMA ONLINE... PRE-AGE OF SHADOWS
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

For CO I used to get random noobs come up to me and say plvl while I was training. They were insta 1 shoted because I "accidently" got them in my club rage aoe unless allied or part of the guild I used to be in. Even then they had to give a good reason for me to want to or have a friend wanting a favour in the group for me to take the time to do it.

Given away all my characters. Started playing when Dragon server came out and I stopped playing when 2nd rb came out however long that time frame was and sold my archer. Would of had to spend $500 to get my trojan competitive so I gave it away. Better games have come along since and don't see me ever returning

But in answer to the question i'd say UO.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    For me it's PS1, back before they NGE'ed it with Core Combat.  The massive 3 way sieges for one base and how they could last up to 8 hours was just amazingly fun and made you feel like you accomplished something if you succeeded in successfully attacking it or defending it.  That game was brilliant at letting you set up your gear and vehicles based on where you placed your certs.  Vehicles with multiple players serving as gunners!  I have never seen another mmo match the PVP like that yet, and will probably be awhile before I ever do.  PS2 is close, but not there just yet.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor