Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMORPG’s Most Wanted MMOs of 2013

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Sad that 4 of the games are fantasy, and wildstar is semi fantasy. The industry needs more high tech, historical or other genre games. Fantasy is played out.

Yeah Bill should of made it a six list and added Black Gold.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I've always been a big SOE supporter against all the haters but recently they MAJORLY let me down and pissed me the fuck off.   Like to the point I don't want to have anything to do with them anymore over their petty, bullshit attitude over a mistake ThEY made.  Anyway, despite all this... I PRAY, that EQN might be their ONE last saving grace and redemption.  That'd be the ONLY thing that, if it's spectacular, might make me come back.

And this is coming from someone who spent more time in EQ1 and 2 than all other MMO's combined.

Fukin Sony

• CoolgrooveCoolgroove Member UncommonPosts: 16
    F*... all the same fantasy-gear-grind games with some nice tools to develop content by players for playres, but why so much fantasy? swords, plates, magic, mana, spell, etc. and again, and again, and again... and so many more times again. F*... nothing for new for me in 2013 mmos and I don't feel like it'll change in '14.
  • NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    After I saw some game play footage from Wild Star, I'm very skeptical. Though the art and style still looks great, also I am still looking forward to PSO2.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94
    id bump wildstar up one! Really liking what I've seen so far. Plus the creative orchestrator seems to know what hes doing :)
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Panzer

Yeah planetside 2 is a success. Sonys march report had the game getting 750,000 unique logins per week. It's also their current best money maker.

That's a good amount of players, its probably the 3rd most played western mmo after wow and maybe gw2.

That's cool, I liked it for the few months I played it and gave to the cash shop to support the game. I just couldn't get over the hacks plaguing the game. 

• RadioMaryjaRadioMaryja Member UncommonPosts: 123

W I L D S T A R

enough said!

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Top 3 are interesting. archage asian mmo? no ty!

Wild star come from NCSOFT.... never had good experiement that company games. 

will see.

Actually, WildStar comes from Carbine Studios. NCSoft has as much control over the game as they do with ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2. NCSoft just helped fund the project, they didn't do any coding, graphic work or any thing else.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Wildstar is the only one that I'm interested in.  though I agrree with the article that the raid-centric  direction of the game is disappointing.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

EQN #1? Just goes to show that in MMORPG fan circles, we like best what we don't know much about.

Take a big game studio, make vague statements, be ultra-secretive, use the trendy "S" word to describe it--whether it actually fits or not = instant love.

Remember how much we loved the idea of Bioware doing SWTOR before we knew anything about it?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Wildstar is the only one that I'm interested in.  though I agrree with the article that the raid-centric  direction of the game is disappointing.

I really agree with the raid-centric direction as well. Raiding is a good part of end game design, but the problem tends to be that it needs near full attention from dev teams to make it really good. That means other parts of the game suffers for it, and considering that a small portion of the community really devotes itself to raiding, it makes design decisions all the more questionable.

I'd be surprised if Wildstar was hugely successful. It still seems to be too similar to WoW to have a ton of success. Although, they might pick up the hardcore raiding crowd from WoW who are looking for something different.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I heard about DiabloIII a month before Open Beta and every day drove me a little more crazy waiting for it. I was super psyched to play the first week and then Inferno killed the fun.

Now I am feeling the same for FFXIV:AAR and I have even longer to wait.

That being said, My list would be 1) FFXIV:AAR 2) EQ NEXT (only ones I'm interested in and #2 is a fallback if #1 crashes and burns)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'd remove AA from my personal list, but I'm still looking at FFXIV:ARR to see if there's anything there.  They added jumping, but will there be a reason to jump? lol

Wildstar is definitely my #1..  I don't really care about EQ games, but I do want to play a decent sandbox for once.  I just hope they hired a new artist, because EQ character graphics are always butt ugly.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by BelegStrongbow
    I would replace Arche Age with Origins of Malu

careful what you wish for.  If you want a game from 2002ish then OOM is right up your alley

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by superniceguy

A good list (Better choices than the best of 2013)

My most wanted are:

1. EQ Next
    2. Elder Scrolls Online
    3. Phantasy Star Online 2
    4. SWG 2
    5. FF XIV ARR (as long as I can use old discs which I bought just as soon as they closed off new accounts and proceeded to close the original version. I am not buying the new ARR version)

If u had FFXIV 1.0, you DONT NEED to buy it again, plus u will have access to Beta Phase 3 (only weekends from 14th June+), Phase 4 (Open Beta) and 2 weeks early access for a "welcome back" campaign. Plus if u had Collector Edition, you will have too the new items for the new Collector Edition.

So these are plenty to test the game and decide yourself. For me FFXIV is 1st, i dont care others for now (If FFXIV is a sucess i will dont touch others, if is not, i will try hmm TESO maybe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_Q3fisHTQ&hd=1 (lol streaming codecs >< only have quality when is not moving too much)

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Out of those, EverQuest Next is the only one I'm really interested in.

Lineage Eternal is my most anticipated, but I'm unsure if it will make out in 2013. Probably 2014 is more likely.

I like Wildstar's look and feel, but I cannot stomach another theme park MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Iselin

EQN #1? Just goes to show that in MMORPG fan circles, we like best what we don't know much about.

Take a big game studio, make vague statements, be ultra-secretive, use the trendy "S" word to describe it--whether it actually fits or not = instant love.

Remember how much we loved the idea of Bioware doing SWTOR before we knew anything about it?

You might be right, yes. The more I hear about ESO the less I want to play it even if I were happy when it was announced and it is far from unlikely that we will be disappointed when SOE reveals the game this summer.

Still, it is Everquest and once upon a time did SOE really changed online gaming (yeah, yeah, together with UO and Meridian 59) which still can be felt in modern MMOs today.

They could actually pull it off again. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

My problem with the game so far is that I assume SOE will use their "Free"2play model which more or less means Smedley turns you upside down and shake you to take all money you have. I played EQ2 until the conversion and it was the worst conversion ever (TOR was bad but it was worse). 

• space-scumspace-scum Member CommonPosts: 5
    World of Darkness is the one I am most ager to see. Hope it lives up to the hype.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I'm so confused

at what point did we decide that smedley was for the gamer? did people forget about SWG NGE??? the hundreds of EQ1 expansions that came out 5 times a year? Free users being able to pick up rare drops but not being able to equip them until they pay?  

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Acebets70
    LOL SOE games? When will you sheep ever learn?

LOL... Was thinking the same thing! I gave up on SOE a long time ago after all their failed attempts to recover.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    1. The Repopulation
    2. Black Desert
    Archeage was 3 until I saw the retarded cars were added.

Everything else is a pass. A big pass.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Iselin

Right except Bioware had a great reputation at the time as a quality RPG studio.  With EQN people are actually trusting Smedley of all people.

I thought we all agreed he was the devil years ago?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but not a thing in that list makes me excited. WildStar looks interesting, but I'm going to wait to see how their progression system is before I decide to care about it. If it's another KTX quest grinder, I'll be ignoring it. The rest I truly don't give a crap about and, having beta'd all but 2 on that list (WildStar being one) I can safely say I won't be missing out on much of anything.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Meh, 2013 is a SUPER WEAK year for new releases.

I believe Archeage and EQ Next won't make it in 2013.

Titan back to drawing board - nope

World of Darkness - nope

Star Citizen - nope

Black Desert - nope

Elite Dangerous - nope

the only cool upcoming stuff is content for Secret World, that's about it for me 2013

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Asamof

I'm so confused

at what point did we decide that smedley was for the gamer? did people forget about SWG NGE??? the hundreds of EQ1 expansions that came out 5 times a year? Free users being able to pick up rare drops but not being able to equip them until they pay?  

We? so you speak for everyone else now? Some of us have got over NGE, time moves on even if you can't. No dev team is perfect so should we punish them for all eternity lol. Thing is , you will be one of the first to play the game, you wont be able to resist.