Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's a good MMORPG to play now until EQ Next/ESO/FFXIV?

Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
Hey guys I was playing Darkfall:TUW and it was fun for alittle while with my clan and everything. I got sick of all the exploiters, hacks and bullshit in the game and lack of the developers to follow through, even with their first content update, no dungeon as promised, but anyway, what game is good for me to play now while I wait for ESO, EQ Next and FFXIV:ARR? I like a more traditional MMORPG style. I won't play WoW or Eve. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Might as well try Rift, its a bit too traditional for me at times, but it has a lot to do,  it's f2p in just over a week, I also recommend TERA, just in terms of the combat if you want to idly hit things.

Ever thought of playing a hybrid rpg/strategy game like King Arthur or Age of Wonders?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

LOTRO

RIFT

DDO

Champions Online

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
    Does rift have open world PvP? Raids? Traditional healer/tank/dps roles?
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Thebrave246
    Does rift have open world PvP? Raids? Traditional healer/tank/dos roles?

If you don't care about PvP then I think Vanguard would be a good choice. 

If you do Rift might be ok.  I hear Aion has good PvP, but I have not tried it. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Rift is going completely F2P or buy it first and play for free like GW2? No cash shop or anything?
    Rift is going completely F2P or buy it first and play for free like GW2? No cash shop or anything?

Rift will be f2p with optional cash shop and a currency system like EVE's PLEX, its a good conversion, no issues like SWTOR had that I know of. The Secret World is B2P now, but it's very niche.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Does rift have open world PvP? Raids? Traditional healer/tank/dps roles?

Yes it does have all those. Although the pvp rift's can be fun as hell.

It's a good group PvE and PvP game then? Good raids? And guys said Open World PvP also?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    You could give the Romulans a try in STO.  Plus it's free
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    It's a good group PvE and PvP game then? Good raids?

Yup, been in a few of the raid's, they also have various achievement's you can complete some also give mount's. Also has several different war front's aka battlegrounds.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Just play some of the better F2P's if your looking for something just to tide you over

Conan

Vanguard

Rift= June 12

DDO

LOTRO

etc.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I had been playing it, not really my thing. Dragon's Prophet.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu, it's a hell of a ride. I will be there until EQNext, but EQN will have to be one hell of a game with a massive amount of player driven systems. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Tried AoW, it's def not for me, thanks though. Seems to me like the new Rift free will be interesting to try.
    Tried AoW, it's def not for me, thanks though. Seems to me like the new Rift free will be interesting to try.

I am a RIft subscriber right now, Sent you a friend invite, lets see it it works.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    You have not to wait too much to play FFXIV, Beta Phase 4 is at July and is Open Beta with no character wipe.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    You have not to wait too much to play FFXIV, Beta Phase 4 is at July and is Open Beta with no character wipe.

Interesting

I'm curious to see the changes since it's first disastrous iteration. It's the first and only Asian MMO I've ever purchased and it left a very bad taste in my mouth ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

Interesting

I'm curious to see the changes since it's first disastrous iteration. It's the first and only Asian MMO I've ever purchased and it left a very bad taste in my mouth ;)

Wow, talk about bad luck. I've played dozens of asian mmos, mediocre is common, great does happen sometimes, but this was the worst game I've played in 30 yrs. You may be pleased to know none of the terrible design decisions made in XIV 1.0 carry over to ARR, whether you enjoy it is up to your taste, I would give it a try, as you are due for a free month at launch.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Sadly, I have grown quite tired of Neverwinter faster than I assumed I would, but it will remain on the computer to jump back in and out of, a new class and the Dark Elf race would be a nice release being I was only interested in trickster rogue.......but onto the OP's questions.....

I just went back to Age of Conan, I'm not sure how limited the F2P part of it is, but I don't think it's very restrictive. Point being, the game is very fun, I love the setting, for free you might as well give it a shot.

Thanks for your response, played AoC for quite some time and i would play it but I wanted to try something different. Really never got into Rift, and since it's going pretty much totally F2P in 2 weeks. I think I would like to give it a try.