Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it or Hate it, EVE Online is still the ONLY GOOD News in the MMO World.

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

EVE Online is like 25 year old Scotch....you either love it or hate it.

But....even those who hate it more than love it, like myself have to admit...that EVE Online is first class all the way. 

Its player base is HUGE, LOYAL, and its community and once a year FANFEST a Juggernaut.

Even its official magazine EON was probably the best looking awesome magazine in the history of print publications, as was its ISK guides paper or pdf and its map packs (print or pdf).

And the graphics....WOW...not content to be lazy, EVEs devs keep progressing the graphics and animations, just to name a few. Its a massive and overwhelming game in some cases, and people will shell out $15 a month to play it. The good outweighs the bad by a landslide.

Unfortunately, the few bad things about this game are the very things which are also considered good and what retains the games playerbase...that being...its OVERWHELMING.

My god....the amount of skills and ship upgrades and parts is mind blowing, also...it takes TIME...alot of TIME to accomplish things. You have to be a very patient and detail oriented person to enjoy this game, neither of which I am...but I do admit, I come back to it for about a month once or twice a year. in fact, so much work is being done on this game to make it more user freindly and fun, it will be hard for me to ignore it and not sub.

If you like Sci-Fi and space genres, this is the game for you...if you like to REALLY and I mean REALLY get wrapped up in an MMO, down to the intimate details, this game is for you. But, if you are impatient or lazy...forget it. Your success is equal to the work you put into it.

I know some people will disagree with me, but for anyone interested in the sci-fi space genre of MMOs, it would be well worth to at least TRY the game. Dont expect a WoW type or Secret World storyline though, its all about trade, commerce, and space combat, and your ship(s) are your characters, except when you get out at a space station and walk around your private quarters.

I dont know what else to say except that, I always felt EVE was one expansion away at some point to blowing the MMO industry thru the roof. All they need, is the ability for all players to see each other and be able to congregate outside their ships and maybe cut down the learning success curve a bit to the point of not upsetting existing players, and turn up the storyline to more exciting proportions and then they will have a atomic bomb of a game to devour all others.

Of course EVEs DUST 514 is the most ingenius feature to ever come about in an MMO, i.e. the co-existance of console and PC gamers, with PC gamers fighting it out in space and console gamers fighting it out on the ground and the contracts made between PC gamers and the console gamer to have the console gamers protect the pcgamers planetary assets on teh ground is breathtaking...and even the ability of a pcgamer ship to orbital bombard the console players on the planet is EPIC.

We will see what happens.....

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by UnleadedRevnd fun, it will be hard for me to ignore it and not sub.

If you like Sci-Fi and space genres, this is the game for you...if you like to REALLY and I mean REALLY get wrapped up in an MMO, down to the intimate details, this game is for you.

I absolutely love sci-fi and space genres.  I have ever since waiting in line for several hours at the movie theater just to see Star Wars back in 1977.  However, this game is NOT for me.  I wish it was, but it isn't.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by UnleadedRevnd fun, it will be hard for me to ignore it and not sub.

If you like Sci-Fi and space genres, this is the game for you...if you like to REALLY and I mean REALLY get wrapped up in an MMO, down to the intimate details, this game is for you.

I absolutely love sci-fi and space genres.  I have ever since waiting in line for several hours at the movie theater just to see Star Wars back in 1977.  However, this game is NOT for me.  I wish it was, but it isn't.

Same for me Rodingo....

I have tried EVE multiple times over the years and I just can't get into the game for some reason even though I love the concept.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I'm not sure there is anything EVE could do too draw more players in that wouldn't kill the game for its existing player base.  The problem I have always had with EVE is you seem to spend more time preparing for PVP than actually PVPing and the PVE content is little more than set pieces for PVP to take place around.

EVE is the game it is and if they tried to make it more approachable by the average gamer I think it would destroy the games character.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

Same for me Rodingo....

I have tried EVE multiple times over the years and I just can't get into the game for some reason even though I love the concept.

I am in the same boat.I've tried to love this game and have friends that do and there are parts I like but for me there is some disconnect between me and what's happening in game I cannot overcome and keeps me from enjoying it enough to keep playing.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Keep chanting it to yourself. Reinforcement works wonders.

No offense intended, non-hyperbolic EVE fans.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I agree with the OP on many things, unfortunately the game doesn't hold me for any real length of time. Over the last year and half I find myself just logging in to skill up. It's a great game though IMO. 

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• CoolgrooveCoolgroove Member UncommonPosts: 16

Love EvE, love the concept, the sci-fi setting, everything in it. But sometimes it is really lacks something just to sit back and relax, like theme-park games have.

After going deep into EvE, it seems like I find any other game lack of depth or details or possibilities to have fun - and that is bad and good at the same time ^^)

But, tbh, there is no real alternative for "sci-fi space fan"...

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Im not an eve guy either. I admire thier success, but im not into it.

I also feel like there are positive stories out there, negatives drown those stories out. It takes ten pros to defeat one con.

Im not a huge fan of GW2 couple things bother me, but I think thier buy to play success is a huge positive for the mmo world. I keep coming back to the game. If it were a sub game or f2p that I felt like I would be tired of one day after I spent money, I wouldnt play it. Gw2 gives me the freedom though knowing I have nothing to lose ( already bought and paid for the game) and I can just relax and have fun.

I think GW2 is a case where one great aspect ( that being buy to play for me ) is erasing or diminishing the negatives.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

I play Eve but will be stopping soon as it has no real hold for me. Elite Dangerous I am really looking forward to, its not an mmo but it does have multiplayer.

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by psychobgr

I play Eve but will be stopping soon as it has no real hold for me. Elite Dangerous I am really looking forward to, its not an mmo but it does have multiplayer.

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

this times 1000.  im  a huge elite fan and played it a ton when it was out.  i hate pvp so eve was never for me.  so cant wait for the new elite

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I don't like being my ship

The black race is mostly enslaved

Bungie is making a sci fi mmo, yeah its on console but console trumps the above reasons

Nah. I'm good Destiny has everything I want as a sci fi mmo, and no enslaved black folk either.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    EVE is beautiful, no doubt. Unfortunately, for me anyway, it's just to convoluted to keep me interested. The die-hard fans are awesome, and I enjoy reading about their exploits, but the limited time I spent playing showed me that it was to late to jump into the game. The pool wasn't full, so to speak, but there were enough things going on and enough floaters to make me want to stay out.
    It's ashame too, I'm a HUGE SciFi fan(atic), and I die a little inside, knowing I missed the EVE-Boat. Even now, with the inclusion of DUST (which I've played in beta till now), I feel WAY behind and cannot take it seriously. DUST has added another layer to the complexity that makes you feel as if you'll only ever play a small role in this BIG universe that EVE has provided.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that 75% of the population is made of EVE players.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

EVE Online is like 25 year old Scotch....you either love it or hate it.

But....even those who hate it more than love it, like myself have to admit...that EVE Online is first class all the way. 

Its player base is HUGE, LOYAL, and its community and once a year FANFEST a Juggernaut.

Even its official magazine EON was probably the best looking awesome magazine in the history of print publications, as was its ISK guides paper or pdf and its map packs (print or pdf).

And the graphics....WOW...not content to be lazy, EVEs devs keep progressing the graphics and animations, just to name a few. Its a massive and overwhelming game in some cases, and people will shell out $15 a month to play it. The good outweighs the bad by a landslide.

Unfortunately, the few bad things about this game are the very things which are also considered good and what retains the games playerbase...that being...its OVERWHELMING.

My god....the amount of skills and ship upgrades and parts is mind blowing, also...it takes TIME...alot of TIME to accomplish things. You have to be a very patient and detail oriented person to enjoy this game, neither of which I am...but I do admit, I come back to it for about a month once or twice a year. in fact, so much work is being done on this game to make it more user freindly and fun, it will be hard for me to ignore it and not sub.

If you like Sci-Fi and space genres, this is the game for you...if you like to REALLY and I mean REALLY get wrapped up in an MMO, down to the intimate details, this game is for you. But, if you are impatient or lazy...forget it. Your success is equal to the work you put into it.

I know some people will disagree with me, but for anyone interested in the sci-fi space genre of MMOs, it would be well worth to at least TRY the game. Dont expect a WoW type or Secret World storyline though, its all about trade, commerce, and space combat, and your ship(s) are your characters, except when you get out at a space station and walk around your private quarters.

I dont know what else to say except that, I always felt EVE was one expansion away at some point to blowing the MMO industry thru the roof. All they need, is the ability for all players to see each other and be able to congregate outside their ships and maybe cut down the learning success curve a bit to the point of not upsetting existing players, and turn up the storyline to more exciting proportions and then they will have a atomic bomb of a game to devour all others.

Of course EVEs DUST 514 is the most ingenius feature to ever come about in an MMO, i.e. the co-existance of console and PC gamers, with PC gamers fighting it out in space and console gamers fighting it out on the ground and the contracts made between PC gamers and the console gamer to have the console gamers protect the pcgamers planetary assets on teh ground is breathtaking...and even the ability of a pcgamer ship to orbital bombard the console players on the planet is EPIC.

We will see what happens.....

I agree with alot of what you said, EVE is still doing very very good, people rate success with MMOS on the number of subscribers but that is a bad way to look at it. EVE has been around longer then wow and continues to grab more and more people, it only has around 500k to 600k subs but that is plenty and more importantly it isnt going in the wrong direction. What I am surprised  about is they havent explored with different genera of mmos. I believe as long as they keep their underlining principles they will be successful with any mmo they release.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Yeah eve is cool but afterwhile playing i get bored.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Eve should have ground combat dust 514 should be on the pc too and not only ps3.
  • xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

im hooked with it, but i can say too that it gets annoying in some aspects:

1. the only profitable place to do industry is in high sec

2. griefers have made low sec its home, so anyone wanting to do things out of high sec gets ganked

3. null sec, what its supposed to be a place to form your own empire, is capped by corps and alliances that keep their gates camped, and just keep grinding rats 24/7 or are botting corps which get their RMT in the deepest parts of their  oversecured space

4. wormholes are capped with paranoid people with overpowered ships and its a fucked up place to travel

as a PvP player i can see the interest, but one of the parts of EVE that got me hooked was its deep crafting and industry system. i dont care the full loot openworld PvP, but at least i would like to have the option to be actually succesfull out of high sec. carebearing isnt fun, but not all of us have the money to pay a sub so we can just kill each other in pimped ships.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP 

For those that love EVE, there is nothing that can even remotely compare with it's sheer scale and complexity. It's an uncompromising game. It doesn't try to make itself more soft and cuddly to draw in more subscriptions.

It just stands there like the towering giant that it is, and says: "I am what I am. Don't try to change me, and don't try to change yourself to fit into my world. Both attempts will fail utterly."

You're an EVE player or you aren't. You will know in the first week or two where you stand.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    First class all the way?  Nah.   Definitely first-class art design (some of the best in the industry), but conversely some of the worst moment-to-moment gameplay in the industry.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I believe EVE is a Nitch crowd Game. that being said, it is huge for that Nitch Crowd.

I have never liked the game or understood how it has this crowd. To me it is a Space spreadsheet gank fest Game. It is not for me, but I am Happy that this Nitch crowd has a Game that they love so dear. Enjoy.

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98

Same for me Rodingo....

Exactly so. Must have tried trial 3 times, bought it, quit again, then resubbed then quit again. Can't find the words to describe what it was that kept me off. Still, best space game in the MMO market, though 'space-wise' single player Star Wolves 3 is 200% fun in story,  combat and ship modding -- I think it's still on Steam (beware though, it's a Russian game - in case you're prejudiced). 

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Ehh...Eve's fan fest is smaller than Blizzcon.  I find it not to be the only Good news.  It is pretty stale.  But good for the people that play with their 2+ accounts they have.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Giddian

I believe EVE is a Nitch crowd Game. that being said, it is huge for that Nitch Crowd.

I have never liked the game or understood how it has this crowd. To me it is a Space spreadsheet gank fest Game. It is not for me, but I am Happy that this Nitch crowd has a Game that they love so dear. Enjoy.

It's niche, pronounced neesh

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Same for me Rodingo....

It's simple for me.  I'm a fan of CCP and EVE, but the game isn't for me.  I like to be a player character, and the ships (as avatar) don't appeal to me.  I wish them the best of luck with EVE, and I can't wait to see WoD.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

If you like Sci-Fi and space genres, this is the game for you...if you like to REALLY and I mean REALLY get wrapped up in an MMO, down to the intimate details, this game is for you. But, if you are impatient or lazy...forget it. Your success is equal to the work you put in

I am actually very patient and detail oriented which is why I always wanted to love this game.  However, the thing that gets me to cancel my subscription when I go back to the game is the PvP.  I find the FFA PvP in EVE just too frivolous for my tastes.  I hate how it trivializes the complex parts of the game that I love to delve into.  I invariably hit a point where my gameplay plans need to take PvP into account and every time the mental arithmetic works out in favour of me not doing the stuff I want to do because it is just not worth the aggravation. 

EVE is built on the foundation of its FFA PvP and that will always limit it to a niche game.