Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like the concept behind TESO combat system?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Since its similar design to Neverwinter, I will make the comparison to it.

It uses both mouse buttons to swing left and right arm weapon and skills.

But would GW2 like System be better choice?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

Maybe he actualy never played a Elder Scrolls game. There are some gamers out there that haven't.

As for the combat system, i don't think that a gw2 combat system would be better at all, while i like gw2 TESO is a long standing FIRST PERSON rpg. On a PC the series has always had Left click base attack, hold left click power attack, right click block, hold right click and then left click shield bash. (I forget if morrowind did this, its been a while). Changing the combat now would ruin the IP for alot of people (Includeing myself).

PS: If this is a troll post, its a bad one..

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not like Neverwinter, Neverwinter locks you in place.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

And there are no ability cooldowns not even a GDC...nothing like Neverwinter.

It's also not like GW2. What it's actually like is... wait for it... an Elder scrolls game.

Everything is instant, spammable and the only limit is the particular resource the ability uses: stamina or magika...just like Skyrim.

You use both mouse buttons as either a click for the basic version of an ability or hold/release for a powered-up version of it.

And then you have a limited number of other abilities (7 I believe) that you can pick from all the ones you know and can use depending on your armor/weapon/class/fighter's guild/mage's guild/thieve's guild abilities you have learned and skilled-up + an alternate set of 7 you can switch to.

So... tempting as it is to take a mental shortcut and say that whatever you're talking about is just like something else, it's a bit tougher to do with this one.

I think it was you, Mo, who described it as pretty much like Skyrim except the extra 7 active slots sort of replace the radial menu.

That's as close as you can get comparing it to something else we've known.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Iselin

It's also not like GW2. What it's actually like is... wait for it... an Elder scrolls game.

Everything is instant, spammable and the only limit is the particular resource the ability uses: stamina or magika...just like Skyrim.

You use both mouse buttons as either a click for the basic version of an ability or hold/release for a powered-up version of it.

And then you have a limited number of other abilities (7 I believe) that you can pick from all the ones you know and can use depending on your armor/weapon/class/fighter's guild/mage's guild/thieve's guild abilities you have learned and skilled-up + an alternate set of 7 you can switch to.

So... tempting as it is to take a mental shortcut and say that whatever you're talking about is just like something else, it's a bit tougher to do with this one.

I think it was you, Mo, who described it as pretty much like Skyrim except the extra 7 active slots sort of replace the radial menu.

So, do you press a hotkey that changes what you are currently wielding and use the skill with the mouse buttons? Or do hotkeys fire off skills?

Originally posted by colddog04

So, do you press a hotkey that changes what you are currently wielding and use the skill with the mouse buttons? Or do hotkeys fire off skills?

They fire off skills. And you can slot any that you know unless they're restricted by the armor/weapon you happen to be using at the time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by colddog04

They fire off skills. And you can slot any that you know unless they're restricted by the armor/weapon you happen to be using at the time.

Sound like a very GW1-y deck builder with an action style layered on top of it. Pretty cool honestly.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

What it's actually like is... wait for it... an Elder scrolls game.

And that could be a huge problem.  They are targeting the Elder Scrolls audience, but when the non-elderscrolls player tries it, he will end up frustrated, since he's used to the standard MMO mechanics, of the last 14+ years.

Zenimax chose the elder-scrolls audience, as they should have, but just be ready for the mass amount of players criticizing the combat mechanics, because it will be too different from the standard MMO.  It's happened to Tera, GW2, and to a lesser extent, Defiance.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by observer

And that could be a huge problem.  They are targeting the Elder Scrolls audience, but when the non-elderscrolls player tries it, he will end up frustrated, since he's used to the standard MMO mechanics, of the last 14+ years.

Zenimax chose the elder-scrolls audience, as they should have, but just be ready for the mass amount of players criticizing the combat mechanics, because it will be too different from the standard MMO.  It's happened to Tera, GW2, and to a lesser extent, Defiance.

Well we really don't know if this is true yet. The only example we have which would disagree with what you wrote is the staff writer here, Suzie Ford, who tried the game, wasn't into Skyrim (played less than 1 hour of Skyrim), and seemed to really like the combat for ESO...so go figure.

There Is Always Hope!

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

That's assumptive that all ES fans have never touched and enjoyed your typical MMORPG.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Iselin What it's actually like is... wait for it... an Elder scrolls game.

people will complain if its too different to what they are used to and they will also complain if its just more of the same thing they are used to.

damned if you do, damned if you don't. it is true you cant make everyone happy.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Iselin What it's actually like is... wait for it... an Elder scrolls game.

people will complain if its too different to what they are used to and they will also complain if its just more of the same thing they are used to.

Lol. Ain't it the truth? Ever since the game was announced the typical ignorant knock about the, then imaginary, ESO MMO was that it was not like the TES single player games enough. Now that they have debunked that myth, enter the new myth: it's too TES for "real MMOers"...whoever they might be.

Besides... "too different from the standard MMO" just sounds like code for hard tab-targetted with 72 skills...i.e. WOW. And, incidentally, the WOW system is becoming less and less "standard" with each new MMO release.

Developers, with good reason, are shifting away from the 72 unique-but-almost-the-same skills that need to be managed through 6 or 7 hot-bars to the much more manageable 10 or so which can morph through modifiers and, more importantly, can be easily bound to a manageable numbers of keys. They are essentially evolving away from the need to click-select to a system where you can keep your eyes on the action without needing to constantly glance at the UI.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate this improvement probably should stick with WOW for life.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

Lol. Ain't it the truth? Ever since the game was announced the typical ignorant knock about the, then imaginary, ESO MMO was that it was not like the TES single player games enough. Now that they have debunked that myth, enter the new myth: it's too TES for "real MMOers"...whoever they might be.

Besides... "too different from the standard MMO" just sounds like code for hard tab-targetted with 72 skills...i.e. WOW. And, incidentally, the WOW system is becoming less and less "standard" with each new MMO release.

Developers, with good reason, are shifting away from the 72 unique-but-almost-the-same skills that need to be managed through 6 or 7 hot-bars to the much more manageable 10 or so which can morph through modifiers and, more importantly, can be easily bound to a manageable numbers of keys. They are essentially evolving away from the need to click-select to a system where you can keep your eyes on the action without needing to constantly glance at the UI.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate this improvement probably should stick with WOW for life.

while i aprereciate it in some ways in others i find myself useing the same 3-4 attacks through out my entire progression from 1-max, and to be honest the lack of custimization and lack of progression for what i can do in combat seems a bit droll at times, i fill that with te simplifcation we have also lost some of what made progression in the game fun in the first place, i fill less exited about new levels, and more meh most of the time, it fill more like a chore now then anticipation like it used to.

but hey maybe its me maybe im to used to the old ways, heck i would still be playing WoW to be honest if i wasnt sick of thier bad protection from hackers, and account thieft. not to mention the nightmare that is thier custermer service.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by Squeak69

while i aprereciate it in some ways in others i find myself useing the same 3-4 attacks through out my entire progression from 1-max, and to be honest the lack of custimization and lack of progression for what i can do in combat seems a bit droll at times, i fill that with te simplifcation we have also lost some of what made progression in the game fun in the first place, i fill less exited about new levels, and more meh most of the time, it fill more like a chore now then anticipation like it used to.

but hey maybe its me maybe im to used to the old ways, heck i would still be playing WoW to be honest if i wasnt sick of thier bad protection from hackers, and account thieft. not to mention the nightmare that is thier custermer service.

Well there's certainly room for personal preference.

I have also played WOW since release on and off. I went back to it briefly to play the new expansion. I did this shortly after having played TSW and GW2 and I found the multitude of abilities a pain now even though it was just the norm at one time.

Maybe it has to do with using a Cyborg MMO7 mouse for all my games and finding it a pain in the butt to have to occasionally point and click instead of just using one of the programmable mouse buttons. Anything more than 14 abilities forces me to do this.

It's no hassle for infrequently used abilities such as teleporting, using a 30 minute buff or anything else when out of combat. But I find it annoying now to have to do it in combat.

With respect to what happens when you level-up... yeah, it's more satisfying when something good happens. But this is a different thing that can be handled in umpteen different ways. Character customization and uniqueness that works is something we all want. But that can happen just as much by modifying and morphing the same abilities with added effects (as will be the case in ESO) as with running to a trainer to get the next canned level of "Magic Missile" as used to be the case in vanilla WOW.

WOW now let's you upgrade "in the field" but it has many levels where the only level-up perk is a new dungeon you can Q for or often, nothing at all. A recent game like Neverwinter for example, may have a limited number of in-combat abilities you can have at the ready but leveling-up is actually more fun because you get to make choices on what and how to spend your limited leveling-up points.

I definitely like this trend in MMOs a lot.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Gw2 combat was the most boring combat I have ever played. 

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Gw2 combat was the most boring combat I have ever played. 

I think personally its the best Tab Target combat out there.  But, I would take Neverwinters or Teras combat over it any day.  In fact, if GW2 had a similar combat system.  I would probably still be playing it past the first week.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Iselin

They all want frikin wow, but they are scared of looking uncool asking for wow
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

I do like the concept behind ESO combat, but execution seems pretty poor so far. No feel of impact, no ragdoll.. its like they took Skyrim's already pretty simple combat system and took the fun stuff out of it :/.

Well, there is still enough time I guess.

Iselin

They all want frikin wow, but they are scared of looking uncool asking for wow

No, that would be the shittiest way they could design Elder Scrolls combat at least in my opinion. I don't think anyone is asking for that. It looks like people are saying the combat looks sloppy and unappealing to them. It looks rough around the edges. Out of recent action combat games, it looks less refined than it should be by this point. But then again, they could improve upon it before it releases.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Since its similar design to Neverwinter, I will make the comparison to it.

It uses both mouse buttons to swing left and right arm weapon and skills.

But would GW2 like System be better choice?

You block with right mouse button as well.

And "yes" I liked it better than GW2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QwalQwal Member Posts: 2

Seems like a very smooth and fun combat system, if you check the ingame footages that are out. Attacking with mouse, and casting skills with 1-7 (?), switch the skills out depending on what skills you need/want and so on.

A game with much to do, a lot to explore. A very very very very big open world pvp area (most games need this). Group up with friends and travel around killing ppl u find anc capture points and so on. Seems like a lot of fun :D:D:D Sneak behind enemy lines and do some big damage :)

I'm sure i sound like a fanboy, but if skyrim had the normal combat, + for exaomple press 1 to shoot a fireball instanly that would have been AWESOME :D. Instead of the equip fireball uneqip weapon/shield w/e, then shoot the damn fireball like it is now.

I am rly excited for this game. No more sleeping pressing the same buttons standing still and moving from time to time to kill stuff :).

I love that u have to do much to get your character "complete" not just max lvl and u can pick any skill. and just find the most gosu build of the week.(tho it will come for min/maxers ofc)

Starting class not as important as before.

Will be fun to see what payment method they decide with. I would like buy to play 59,99 EU + ingame store for costmetics and those stuff.

Power To The Ownage People

Originally posted by Qwal

I'm sure i sound like a fanboy, but if skyrim had the normal combat, + for exaomple press 1 to shoot a fireball instanly that would have been AWESOME :D. Instead of the equip fireball uneqip weapon/shield w/e, then shoot the damn fireball like it is now.

Yeah, I've even modded Skyrim to do just that. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but once you get everything keybound it becomes a much better combat experience in my opinion. It looks like that's what they are doing here (except they limit the amount of skills you can have on the skillbar).

One thing I wonder about, and I don't know if anyone has the answer to, is how skills are acquired and how many total skills a class will have access to. Right now it looks like you can only have 7 active skills on the hotbar, but how many will classes have to chose from in order to get those 7?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    In Concept it sounds fine certainly no worse than any other MMORPG.But I'll reserve judgment for how it plays in practice.