Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Found a nice mix to fulfill my gaming need

LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119

Although I play mmorpgs since 2000 (EQ),  nowadays I don't have much time to dedicate to my favorite hobby as I used to.

Like a lot of people visiting this forum, I left WoW and been trying some alternatives that could meet my limited time to play.

Been playing Diablo 3 ( not mmorpg I know) , although it has some features I really don't like (RMAH) the game promises to live long years because it has top notch animations and combat mechanics and is great to deliver moments of bashing through hundreds of mobs (usually I play it while listening music and found it very relaxing)

I can't think a better game to entertain me for small chunks of time like Diablo 3 ( Path of Exile is also a very nice game)

But then I faced  problem: I still need something for those days when I can play longer and that something should offer deeper content. Tried TERA, TSW, Neverwinter ( NW did surprised me at first but the F2P model, the shallow content (not including Foundry which is nice) and all those exploits problems made me try another game)

That other game is Guild Wars 2, it turned out to deliver what I needed to complete my gaming need with Diablo 3.

I am taking my time playing GW2, paying attention to all details, trying all options and avoiding to rush thorough the content.

I don't want to provoke the haters, I created this thread because I know there are a lot of gamers on a similar situation as me, but I have to say that GW2 is made from the heart and that shows on every little detail of the game.

At first I found the combat mechanics a bit odd but as I leveled and tried through the options the game started to show its potential. For example the switch weapons option ( assigned a button on mouse just for that) so my warrior could pull mobs with bow and then quickly change to melee weapons. 

Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 worked for me because they complement each other.

I would like to ear from other people that found other mixes of games that complement nicely .

Comments

• RaskilaRaskila Member Posts: 6
    I think you would enjoy Granado Espada (Sword of the New World). The game has AMAZING music and i managed very well without paying anything for it. In the game, you control 3 characters and there are these character cards (about 60+ of them by now probably) which you can earn throughout gameplay. I found the leveling fun and played the game for a few months. You can actually AFK train in the game, btw.
  • LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Cool, going to check it out . Don't know why but it passed under the radar.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Don't have a mix now I'm actually not playing any MMO's anymore.  I just don't feel like spending the money on a maybe chance it might.  No mmo is going to let me in to their software to remodel their kitchen so I've lost interest.

But this is usually the way I game.  I know most only choose one and one only but I've never gamed that way.  I play many games a day if I can.  I started that to avoid maintenance.  Yeah, everyone said, "Just go outside and do something."  Well, I do that also but I have morning when I'm drinking coffee and then I want to sit down.  I was never one to just sip coffee and stare into space with nothing for my fingers and mind to do.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

For really invested gamers, multiple games is almost always the best path to find the precise combination of features they're looking for.

Personally I'm bouncing between a lot of games pretty often right now, but WOW remains a constant source of PVE fun, and Mechwarrior Online seems to be sticking as my main PVP game.  Still playing Don't Starve for fun sandbox hijinx, SolForge for when I want an awesome CCG to play while doing other things (since it's turn-based), and Metro Last Light as a solid singleplayer FPS.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Axehilt

For really invested gamers, multiple games is almost always the best path to find the precise combination of features they're looking for.

Personally I'm bouncing between a lot of games pretty often right now, but WOW remains a constant source of PVE fun, and Mechwarrior Online seems to be sticking as my main PVP game.  Still playing Don't Starve for fun sandbox hijinx, SolForge for when I want an awesome CCG to play while doing other things (since it's turn-based), and Metro Last Light as a solid singleplayer FPS.

I am also playing Metro Last Light. How do you like it so far? Personally i like Dishonored and its stealth gameplay better, but MLL is still a good game.

Have you tried The Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing? I find that a nice polished, steampunk based ARPG. Refreshing from farming too much on D3.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Starting to play LoL again, casually since they changed so much and r@ped my favs, Smite, taking a short break because the control layout is ignorant, after I get rusty I'll restart and begin with new control customization.

Beside that, the only game I played over a year recently is probably both Dissidia, damn good game, if the make a third on Vita that alone will sucker me into buying Vita.

Yeah, I haven't owned a next gen console in a while, but I've played a few friends consoles, I'm probably looking at PS4 for future gaming. Xbox one took an arrow to the knee from Microsoft, so that's out...

At this rate I'd rather see CORPGs evolve on console than hope for good MMOs, the industry is too convoluted.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I recently tried playing LOTRO again, but there's just not enough depth for me. It's too much like WoW. I've also thought about going back to EVE, but everything other than PvP is so dull and slow. Hell I was thinking about trying a player run UO server last night. lol That's how desperate I am to find another great MMO with good combat, pvp, economy and crafting, etc.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I have been playing Vanguard for the last 4 months or so, but I cant get my wife to play it so I will probably look for a new game we can play together((if anyone knows of a good mmo that is not lotro i would be willing to check it out)). My wife and I have both been playing civilization 5 over the weekend she stayed up until six in the morning playing lol. 
  • nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Abimor
    I have been playing Vanguard for the last 4 months or so, but I cant get my wife to play it so I will probably look for a new game we can play together((if anyone knows of a good mmo that is not lotro i would be willing to check it out)). My wife and I have both been playing civilization 5 over the weekend she stayed up until six in the morning playing lol. 

If you guys are liking Civ 5, try out Forge of Empires. It's kind of a civ 5 like game with research etc, but it's online multiplayer. It's definitely not as polished, but at least you can play together... I think. lol I haven't really done a lot in the game yet.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Originally posted by nethervoid

If you guys are liking Civ 5, try out Forge of Empires. It's kind of a civ 5 like game with research etc, but it's online multiplayer. It's definitely not as polished, but at least you can play together... I think. lol I haven't really done a lot in the game yet.

I Will look into that thanks for the info.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I am also playing Metro Last Light. How do you like it so far? Personally i like Dishonored and its stealth gameplay better, but MLL is still a good game.

Have you tried The Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing? I find that a nice polished, steampunk based ARPG. Refreshing from farming too much on D3.

Yeah Dishonored's stealth parts are better and honestly even the shooter gameplay was better.  But it's really Metro's world that keeps pulling me through, since I want to know more about the very interesting setting.

There were even a couple really nasty gameplay snags where the game really wanted me to stop playing.  Stupid things like having a time limit where you need to reach a location before gasmask filters and daylight run out, and you can literally see the location right in front of you and if you could just hop over the hood of that car you could easily walk there -- but nope, it's an invisible wall.

But again, it's the game's world and story that keep me going.  (Although haven't played a session in nearly a week now.)  At this point I'm further through Metro than I got through Dishonored, although I forget if that was because my HDs failed and I had to reformat around that time.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

I've been playing Guild Wars 1 with my wife and my friend lately; it brings back loads of memories. ^-^

Just waiting on Total War: Rome 2 and ArmA 3 to save me from the boredom.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• StuddleyStuddley Member Posts: 37
     I'm bopping between Loadout (a beta on Steam) and my email in-box, waiting for WildStar. Loadout is only a third person shooter with over-the-top comic violence, but it is a lot of fun. TPS PVP, crazy weapon customization & lots of laughs. I recommend the Rocket Boots & Betsy (my slug firing, sniper barreled, pulse rifle with iron sights and a three-round burst trigger).
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i think this is a good discussion and timely at that. a point i have really tried to make recently on certain game forums is that in order for a game to be really successful longterm it must sustain interest. there is only one way to do that with the human brain (especially the brains of gamers) and that is through variety of activity.

you can find out why i think Defiance is a good example of this on my blog metagamer:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/chelan/052013/25180

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Depending on what you like, you might try Rift. It's a lot like WoW in terms of easy themepark but it has sandboxy-style housing called Dimensions. Rift is going F2P in a couple weeks so now is a good time to check it out. Rift Lite is the free trial version.

• LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119

Very interesting suggestions here. Some of those games I didn't know but I will surely take a closer look.

Did you find a nice game combo please post here, this could be a very interesting thread.

It doesn't need to be exclusively mmorpgs, IE, a racing game like DIRT 3 and Eve Online.